Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/Pko9DYA.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

aphid_licker posted:

The way they're simultaneously laughing hysterically and retching is absolutely magical

Yeah the casualness of it all is great.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/IujmD5i.mp4

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles sequel lookin' good.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 9, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

time to retire :piss:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1324647421754986496

This whole thread. I had at least half a dozen of them.

Lol eating those Toffos in no.38 was how I used to remove loose baby teeth as a kid. They were great for that kind of thing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's not a total loss if it's running

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA IV: It's not a total loss if it's running

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Having experienced burned out car interiors firsthand I would hate to drive that thing around purely due to the awful smell, even discounting all the obvious and glaring safety factors related to the compromised chassis.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Do you feel this thread is safe for highway travel?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA IV: It's not a total loss if it's running

agreed

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1324647421754986496

This whole thread. I had at least half a dozen of them.

I read the whole thread but have no loving idea what the car battery is used for!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Remulak posted:

I read the whole thread but have no loving idea what the car battery is used for!

Maybe it was dead but they couldn't afford to get a new one, so they just kept it charging until they needed to drive somewhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Remulak posted:

Your car had a short once/kid left the door open with the dome lamp on and flattened the battery and you missed work so now you need the back up battery ready to go at any moment.

A tabletop battery charger implies something has gone incredibly wrong with your battery in the past thus it's your most powerful useful tool in My Summer Car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think it was because batteries sucked rear end in the cold more than they do today, so having a dead battery on a cold was avoided by bringing it inside and trickle charging it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Remulak posted:

I don't know poo poo about 70s and earlier cars, but did some of them maybe not have strong enough alternators(?) where if the battery got totally drained by leaving a dome light on or a door open that a simple jumpstart wouldn't be sufficient to get it going?

Also, read the entire thread and I have personal memories of either my family, or a grandparent, or aunt and uncle owning/using at least 11 of those things. Not sure when we stopped using the electric carving knife, but it was very recent.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

HardDiskD posted:

pretty sure the blue car is towing it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MarxCarl posted:

pretty sure the blue car is towing it.

Oh. I thought the yellow cable was the street's lane divider. Maybe it is a total loss after all :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like everybody trying to come up with a useful reason for a bench top car battery charger, but no it's literally a tool they'd pressure sell you at the hardware shop when they sensed your desperation buying a new battery and God drat it we're going to get some use out of it.

For cold you could just bring the battery in or use a heater, it doesn't especially sap the charge just depress the voltage until warmed up. And alternators haven't really fundamentally changed so unless it's totally busted you don't need a charger and if you do you're using it at both ends of the journey.

Charging a battery with a charger is a hell of your own making

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
The fun thing about the older battery chargers is that if you used them incorrectly you could boil the battery's electrolyte, like when I saw some moron charging a motorcycle battery with one a few months ago.

The newer ones are really nice though and can be useful sometimes.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.

i am harry posted:

Think of a shower head that you can take down and spray on your rear end, and at the other end it's attached to a white box the size of 4 ipads stacked on top of each other. water runs through the unit which heats it with electric coils. the gas boilers in the houses of england are usually wall mounted in the kitchen and the size of your monitor so you need a second way to heat the water up quickly.

That's a mains fed shower with an internal water heater, a power shower is (usually) fed from a hot water tank with an inline pump to increase the pressure so you get a more powerful jet coming from the head. The reality is the pump is usually incredibly loud and the shower head gets blocked up with limescale within a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cum Galleon posted:

That's a mains fed shower with an internal water heater, a power shower is (usually) fed from a hot water tank with an inline pump to increase the pressure so you get a more powerful jet coming from the head. The reality is the pump is usually incredibly loud and the shower head gets blocked up with limescale within a week.

When I lived in San Antonio, I had a shower head that had a bunch of little rubber nozzles. One day I went in and massaged them all to get all the lime scale out and my next shower had depressingly low water pressure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Go back in with a glue gun and re-clog one or two rings

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ultrafilter posted:

thirded

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjjlx0aTrp1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qji0kzvYsh1s1ddrj.mp4

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Kith posted:

thirded

Changing it now, also started reading this thread recently it’s fuckin great.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

I think it was because batteries sucked rear end in the cold more than they do today, so having a dead battery on a cold was avoided by bringing it inside and trickle charging it.

Also if you left it on charge outside in the council estate where you live, it would be stolen before you closed your door.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Changing it now, also started reading this thread recently it’s fuckin great.

Recently, huh?

The previous thread, if you haven't read it, is nearly 1500 pages of pure :stonklol: gold.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

HardDiskD posted:

it is if you let it get away! :dadjoke:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/SHIxTTR.gifv

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
They should have blown a horn or something

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Captain likely too busy getting his horn blown.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think it's the first time a post is mine got changed into the thread title :kimchi:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I think it's the first time a post is mine got changed into the thread title :kimchi:

Welcome to the club, kid. :3:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Congratulations, you are free from the curse of posting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocheez posted:

British cars had notoriously bad electrical systems.

You’d better believe those cloth‐insulated wires were shorting at all times.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iHQ3ESF.gifv

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Faster, faster!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pro-tier tree fuckling right here

https://i.imgur.com/XWPpkMv.mp4

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

"You paid for the jump not the flight lady"
Shoves out*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK