Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll be honest, I kinda expected better simulated cat technology for a generational upgrade in the year 2020 :eng99:

Valhalla is an Xbone/PS4 game.

The next Assassin's Creed, now that's when we'll see the highest quality cat pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Yakuza series' creator doesn't want Kiryu to be in a fighting game, because that would mean he'd have to fight women, and Kiryu respects women too much for that.

The little thing is that after this interview was found and tweeted about, people checked back into the series, and... sure enough, in all of the nine Yaluza games he's in (plus two remakes), Kiryu has never knowingly fought a woman. He's only once fought a woman pretending to be a guy, and he felt pretty bad about that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Turns out Staminan X is the real Respect Women Juice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The Yakuza series' creator doesn't want Kiryu to be in a fighting game, because that would mean he'd have to fight women, and Kiryu respects women too much for that.

The little thing is that after this interview was found and tweeted about, people checked back into the series, and... sure enough, in all of the nine Yaluza games he's in (plus two remakes), Kiryu has never knowingly fought a woman. He's only once fought a woman pretending to be a guy, and he felt pretty bad about that.

This is a lie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxLTvcpmr8

Pictured here is Kiryu *clearly* beating up a woman.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kiryu already kills people

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

Kiryu already kills people

He actually has never done this and I challenge you to find even one example

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Besides, Kiryu has absolutely hit a woman before, here's a gif of the dastardly deed if you really must see such a heinous act committed

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

CJacobs posted:

He doesn't kill people the same way that batman doesn't kill people

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just out of nowhere remembered the pappapishu bush in Monkey Island 3 and it's all I can do not to burst out laughing at work

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

bobbilljim posted:

He doesn't kill people the same way that batman doesn't kill people

These sort of posts always remind me of that Minority Report videogame where your guy's accused of precrime murder and then you can run around kicking guys off 5 story tall buildings and out skyscraper windows and then go into the next cutscene where he's like I WOULDN'T KILL ANYONE. It was also a decently fun beat em up from what I remember.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can leave thugs lying unconscious face down in puddles in the Arkham games. Thankfully Spider-Man knew how to solve this problem :mmmhmm:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quick Resume + Tetris Effect means at any time you are a mere moment away from tetris bliss.

Yakuza 7 also stole everything from Dragon Quest and name drops it so frequently Im half expecting square to get royalties. It plays a goshdarn 8 bit celebration song when someone joins your party and if the loading screens lasted longer than half a second you could appreciate the 16 bit Ichiban sprite

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

Besides, Kiryu has absolutely hit a woman before, here's a gif of the dastardly deed if you really must see such a heinous act committed

I just got to this scene last night. It comes about an hour after another character slaps his daughter before saying basically “I love you so much, stop doing stupid things”

Related favorite thing is when I’m cruising around as Kiryu and start some sub story that involves putting the hurt on some misguided salary man, but I have Heat meter so the first thing I do is powerbomb a motorcycle onto their face. Just the immediate escalation from “I don’t want to fight you” to “I was born in Beast mode, let me feed you pain” is very funny to me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just out of nowhere remembered the pappapishu bush in Monkey Island 3 and it's all I can do not to burst out laughing at work

MI3 is so good!

One interesting favorite thing about this, speaking of little favorite things, is that looking at that sign for the pappapishu plant is actually optional! If you don't look at it then for the rest of the game Guybrush will just say "ouch" instead of "pappapishu" whenever he gets hurt

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ruffian Price posted:

You can leave thugs lying unconscious face down in puddles in the Arkham games. Thankfully Spider-Man knew how to solve this problem :mmmhmm:

My favorite thing in Spider-Man 2 was hauling some goon up to the top of the Empire State Building and pile driving him down to the street. Luckily that just knocks them unconscious.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's not really IN a game, but I'm replaying Snatcher on Mega CD and there's a site that adds achievements to retro games that features it. It's a really fun list of stuff to do!

https://retroachievements.org/game/10067

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

It's not really IN a game, but I'm replaying Snatcher on Mega CD and there's a site that adds achievements to retro games that features it. It's a really fun list of stuff to do!

That's really neat, gonna have to check out some other older games as well and see what's on there

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 also stole everything from Dragon Quest and name drops it so frequently Im half expecting square to get royalties.

It's been some time since I beat it but I'm pretty sure that Yuji Horii is thanked in the credits - and there's a bunch of Dragon Quest stuff that's referred to by name in 7 when they only used parody names in previous games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

Retroachievements is awesome. It's got plugin support for RetroArch, so if you're into emulation you can load it up and actually see popups as you play. Really great way to go back and play classic RPGs or stuff like Pokemon which have possibilities for unique cheevos.

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

I still think it's cool that you can get a Good, Bad, and The Ugly style poncho in Red Dead Redemption as soon as you hit Mexico. And wear it the rest of the game. Discovering that after watching the movie just made me appreciate it more. It fits the character of John Marston to a T.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_dude_abides posted:

I still think it's cool that you can get a Good, Bad, and The Ugly style poncho in Red Dead Redemption as soon as you hit Mexico. And wear it the rest of the game. Discovering that after watching the movie just made me appreciate it more. It fits the character of John Marston to a T.

John Marston is Blondie after he bumped his head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXGW6sWYDY

I legitimately will never forget this moment. It changed my taste in games and what I thought video games could be capable of artistically forever.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I legitimately will never forget this moment. It changed my taste in games and what I thought video games could be capable of artistically forever.

Right there with you. I still think about it from time to time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Same except https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_Ze5v9jUs

How!
Oct 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I kept waiting for you to get ragdolled in a hilarious manner, but instead I just had to listen to a good song and remember that same awesome part of that game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jesus, does anyone in Gears of War look normal?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How! posted:

I kept waiting for you to get ragdolled in a hilarious manner, but instead I just had to listen to a good song and remember that same awesome part of that game.

Same, but I appreciate the actual video too.
Still, so we're not all left disappointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnkLElGclOw

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CJacobs posted:

I somehow managed to take a route through a river or with a raft or beif shot at or something? that basically made this scene kind of ridiculous, and I still feel like I was cheated, as people mention it from time to time. I'd love to play Red dead on PC again, I have no motivation to play it on the PlayStation.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a video game and I had to stop playing because I couldn't stop laughing

It's just so insanely hacky even by dumb action game writing standards, I cannot believe somebody thought that was a good idea

I loving love it

Veib has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 10, 2020

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Veib posted:

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a video game and I had to stop playing because I couldn't stop laughing

It's just so insanely hacky even by dumb action game writing standards, I cannot believe somebody thought that was a good idea

I loving love it

Holy poo poo. I played Gears 1, then peaced out until 4 and 5. I still laugh sometimes when I think of that ridiculous commercial for the first game that had Mad World in the background, but always thought it was some weird marketer's idea.

Nope, guess Cliffy B reaaaaaly likes his sad songs!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I have extremely good memories with like, real emotional depth, of playing rdr for the first time, on a ragged 360 in Orlando, Florida, and getting to that part. Newly moved to the US, extremely baked, playing rdr with like 5 other people chilling in the living room of my tiny 2 person/one bedroom apartment. I think I'll remember that song till the day I die.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

And I remember getting off the horse about ten seconds after crossing the river to pick a cactus or some poo poo, then riding the rest of the way in silence. Good times.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never understood the love for it. I hated the song. The undead nightmare one was much better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A neat thing about the new Assassin's Creed game is that when you start it has adjustable difficulty for both combat and stealth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Assassin Creed Origins

Some assassin photobombing cutscenes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A neat thing about the new Assassin's Creed game is that when you start it has adjustable difficulty for both combat and stealth.

The newer games do that and have it for Combat, Stealth and Exploration which I think is a nice touch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never understood the love for it. I hated the song. The undead nightmare one was much better.

I think part of the reason it fits so well is because Mexico is the "map #2" of RDR, basically. Before this point you can't go to Mexico because there's no way to cross the river, and if you try anyway you get gibbed by infinitely respawning resistance, so it feels like a big stepping stone toward your goal. The song is meant to give you some self-reflection time since a big climactic shootout just happened in order to get you there at all. It's like the turning point in the story almost, where you have a good spread of weapons and you know your way around the first half of the map, but now you're in uncharted territory again and have to start from scratch looking for leads on Bill and Javier.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Nov 11, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That's one reason I found it so disappointing. You get this neat song. And then you're back doing menial work for everyone with almost no protest. "Help me find my gang or I'll kill you"
"How about you do a billion loving things for me instead"
"Yeah ok"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is a Rockstar Games game, it's true.

edit: That said, John does try to just walk up and shoot Bill and Javier once he finds them. It does not go particularly well as they've captured iirc an Army fort, so he looks elsewhere for help breaking in. So at least they justify you having to go around shaking hands and making friends again.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jesus, does anyone in Gears of War look normal?

Yeah women look normal. Because of course they do. (They may have added beefcake women later, I think I stopped after 2).