Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You really can’t go wrong with the regular iPad as a budget education model if price is your ultimate concession.

I, personally, didn’t really like it for drawing because I was used to devices with laminated screens like the iPad Pro and Air have, so the pencil tip was always just perceptibly off from where I was drawing, but that was also something that was down to me never making the effort to mentally compensate. There are probably literally millions of people who use it for art without batting an eye.

Reading PDFs should be fine, though I still prefer my ePaper kindle for recreational reading. Reading off any LCD, even the one in my top of the line iPad Pro just tires my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The regular iPad goes on sale for $250 smi-regularly so that plus the $99 pencil is well within your budget.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hi friends. I need to know the best way to connect an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and power to an ipad pro 11" with as fewer dongles or accessories as possible.

thank you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Laserface posted:

hi friends. I need to know the best way to connect an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and power to an ipad pro 11" with as fewer dongles or accessories as possible.

thank you.

Logitech has keyboard and mice that will pair over Bluetooth, can pair with multiple devices even. I have a keyboard that I toggle between my personal laptop, work laptop, and iPad.

Then just get a USB-C dongle with video out and power in and you’re golden. I have one I picked up pretty cheaply.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Logitech has keyboard and mice that will pair over Bluetooth, can pair with multiple devices even. I have a keyboard that I toggle between my personal laptop, work laptop, and iPad.

Then just get a USB-C dongle with video out and power in and you’re golden. I have one I picked up pretty cheaply.

Thanks, totally forgot about wireless devices for a second.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

Thanks, totally forgot about wireless devices for a second.

Nothing’s stopping you from wiring up a USB keyboard and mouse to the same dongle too, but you probably knew that already.

And if you’re not super worried about lag and you have an Apple TV kicking around you can AirPlay to your display.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm going to totally recommend the Logitech MX Keys. As mentioned, it can hold 3 different device profiles and it's as easy as hitting a key to change, the keys feel better than the Magic Keyboard (which is still not a bad choice), and the keys are illuminated. It's also rechargeable (USB C) and made from a hunk of aluminum. They make a Mac Specific version, but if you have a Windows box (I use it to swap between my gaming computer and my docked MacBook Pro) the regular version has both Mac and Windows markings. The neat thing is the Special Keys (CTRL/OPT/CMD) are where you expect them and it won't throw you off when you switch to Windows (CTRL/START/ALT are where you expect them as well). While cheaper than Magic Keyboard, at $99 it's not inexpensive. If price is an option the do make cheaper keyboards sans number pad.

For a wireless mouse, I pretty much recommend MX Anywhere S2 (micro USB) or the MX Anywhere 3 (USB C). Both can be used left/right handed, but be aware the thumb buttons on only on the left side (right handed use).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The MX ergo trackball also lets you toggle between two devices also.

I finally got to put my hands on a magic keyboard at Costco (was $25 or $50 cheaper too) and drat is it nice. I'm about 60% there I'm going to pick it up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

For a wireless mouse, I pretty much recommend MX Anywhere S2 (micro USB) or the MX Anywhere 3 (USB C). Both can be used left/right handed, but be aware the thumb buttons on only on the left side (right handed use).

M720 can occasionally be had at Costco for $20, does basically all of the things the flagships do- Bluetooth, 3 device switching, iPad, etc, but the build is cheaper and more plasticky. And it’s only right-handed. Grabbed one back in March to replace my decade old mouse and have been very content with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions guys. it's for our new CEO who asked for an ipad pro as his primary computing device in a Windows TS environment. I explained that to him and he said 'oh ok add a mouse and keyboard and an external display then'

mother fucker want you just asked for is a laptop but somehow you get paid more money to make worse decisions than me so I am forced to oblige.

Proteus Jones posted:

I love the 2S although my scroll wheel only works properly in free wheel mode :(
the 3S moving the scroll wheel clutch to the button rather than the wheel itself ruins my middle click for opening links in new tabs function :(

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Ok Comboomer posted:

M720 can occasionally be had at Costco for $20, does basically all of the things the flagships do- Bluetooth, 3 device switching, iPad, etc, but the build is cheaper and more plasticky. And it’s only right-handed. Grabbed one back in March to replace my decade old mouse and have been very content with it.

Thanks for letting me know about the M720! Never knew that model existed! Caught it on eBay for $30 after tax. Better for me than something like the MX3 as the device switch button is on the side and not under!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm going to totally recommend the Logitech MX Keys.

This is easily my favorite feeling membrane keyboard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do those usb C docks work to connect mouse/keyboard to ipad pros? I doubt the video out would work on em tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Do those usb C docks work to connect mouse/keyboard to ipad pros? I doubt the video out would work on em tho.

yes and yes, video out should work assuming it's USB-C and not TB.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes and yes, video out should work assuming it's USB-C and not TB.

Wowwww ok that’s pretty neat then. I need to get one to fiddle with!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Wowwww ok that’s pretty neat then. I need to get one to fiddle with!

I mean, don't hold me to it. Depends on what you mean by "dock". Some docks are just big dongles and they break out a USB-C or TB signal into requisite I/O. Other docks are way more proprietary and specific to the hardware they were intended to be used with.

And IIRC, iPad Pro can only output to one display and it does context-specific software tricks to decide whether to simply mirror the main display or put up a presentation/play fullscreen video/etc.

Which is all to say that if you have a dongle that breaks one USB-C signal into two DP or two HDMI, I have no freaking clue how it would respond.

9to5mac posted:

The new iPad Pro can connect directly to USB-C displays, that communicate over the DisplayPort standard. You can plug a USB-C cable into the iPad on one end and an external monitor with a USB-C port on the other, like the 4K LG UltraFine display. The iPad supports HDR10 output, so it can take full advantage of high-dynamic range displays where available, like the 27-inch LG 27UK850.

The iPad will mirror the screen, and some apps take special advantage of the additional screen output. For example, Keynote will show the live presentation on the external display and speaker’s notes on the iPad. You could connect to a TV to show your Netflix movies on the big screen, for instance. Just be aware that it is not as flexible as when you connect a second display to a Mac.

What’s a little annoying is you cannot use the USB-C cable that comes in the box with the iPad. You need a USB-cable that supports ‘high-bandwidth’ connections. This includes the USB-C cable that will have come with the display. If you don’t have. a cable handy, confusingly, Apple will suggest buying a Thunderbolt 3 cable from the Apple Store to do this. You can get this one from Belkin for $10. Even though the iPad does not support Thunderbolt, the cables are backwards compatible with the high-bandwidth USB-C.

The iPad can output to 5K displays. However, the LG 5K UltraFine display that Apple sells is not compatible. Why? It has a USB-C connector but it is a Thunderbolt 3 display. The iPad does not support Thunderbolt. 5K USB-C displays are really scarce at the moment and we don’t have any good recommendations just yet.

If you want to connect to a display that does not have a USB-C port, like HDMI, you will need to use some kind of dongle or adapter. The iPad Pro can use an adapter to output using the HDMI 2.0 spec, which supports a max resolution of 4K at 60Hz, and can theoretically output HDR10 and Dolby Vision with compatible adapters (although none seem to be available yet).

The Apple dongle for HDMI is the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. This plugs into the iPad Pro USB-C port and adds a HDMI out, a passthrough USB-C port for power, and a standard USB-A port. The Apple adapter outputs 4K at 30Hz. You can even get USB-C to VGA adapters if you need to connect to old-school projectors or similar.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/07/ipad-pro-usb-c-accessories/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, don't hold me to it. Depends on what you mean by "dock". Some docks are just big dongles and they break out a USB-C or TB signal into requisite I/O. Other docks are way more proprietary and specific to the hardware they were intended to be used with.

And IIRC, iPad Pro can only output to one display and it does context-specific software tricks to decide whether to simply mirror the main display or put up a presentation/play fullscreen video/etc.

Which is all to say that if you have a dongle that breaks one USB-C signal into two DP or two HDMI, I have no freaking clue how it would respond.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/07/ipad-pro-usb-c-accessories/

Odds are pretty good that the ipad doesn't support multiple external displays, given that's a somewhat uncommon displayport feature to daisy chain and it only has 1 port anyawy.

edit: oh I guess the question isn't really about multiple external displays anyway. My best guess is that one of those anker/aukey/etc. USB-C "docks" with 1 HDMI port on them are probably fine.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 12, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So I did end up biting the bullet and picking up the magic keyboard for my 12.9”. What’s really surprising is how great the trackpad implementation is. It feels like the last component to making the iPad complete as a laptop experience, aside from doing desktop development.

Any tricks/tips on things to improve even more usage of the MK? I found I have to manually turn on tap to click, which was frustrating at first and may have been a deal breaker if I had to click instead of tap, but that worked out. Any other customization options that I should look at for improving QoL?

I’m going to google for all the gestures, which are incredible. I was disappointed that in the browser I couldn’t two finger swipe to go back a page, but I will persevere.

My wife said the typing sounds like raindrops hitting, thought that was cute.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I'm looking for some advice please; I tried looking at the OP but it seems very out of date so I couldn't find any help there.

I have an old iPad, model number A1474 if that helps, but it's getting rather old now, apparently the operating system won't update any more and the home button is damaged and non-responsive at times. Apprently it would cost a lot to fix this as it's integrated with the screen and that would need to be replaced too, it sounds odd to me but I decided against doing that. Therefore I'm thinking about buying a new iPad at some point soon to replace it, but I have a lack of information and I could do with some guidance.

I'm not a big power user of my tablet, I don't use too many apps really; I mostly use it for reading books and SA and whatnot while I'm out, or checking websites while I'm not at my PC, and the occasional podcast or music if I'm inclined to listen to something. It's much more of supplementary use to me or for when I'm out of the house.

Searching on the apple store and on Amazon leads me to find there are three different models currently; iPad, iPAd Air, and iPad Pro - however the Pro seems something out of my league, I would never use all of those features and if I'm honest out of my budget too, so I'm not too interested in that.

I am confused between the regular iPad and the Air, because I'm not too sure about the differences. As far as I can tell the Air is slightly larger and has larger hard-drive capacities, and is more expensive of course, however I really don't understand the technical differences between them. The regular iPad with a 32gb hard-drive has an RRP of £330 which is £200 cheaper than the Air (64gb) and I'm not sure if that extra space and bigger screen justifies the extra cost, particularly for my use.

Basically I'm asking for a little input based on my circumstances (which I could clarify more if needed) and if anyone who knows more about these could explain the differences between the iPad and the iPad Air in a way I might understand because reading on the apple website doesn't really help me too much. Thank you in advance for any help and for reading this far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Air:

Cameras are better
Newer SOC, probably some slight speed increases etc
Slightly larger
Laminated screen for arguably better viewing experience
Pencil2 support (vs Pencil1 for iPad line) for improved charging and storage experience

But I mean if you're a light consumer then the iPad is a no brainer. Great platform for media and web consumption, and it's not BAD compared to the alternatives just somewhat cost-cut.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What about deciding between the new A14 Air older A12Z Pro for more intensive use? I have half a mind to try using an iPad for work stuff by using Remote Desktop to access my windows desktop workstation for things like full-featured Word and Excel, since the iPad now seems like its native apps perform well enough to handle the photo and video editing I do. Is the new soc in the Air going to be better than the Pro for those kinds of tasks? I guess I could always output to a larger display too, if 11” gets to be too constraining.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are ipads going to get the same widget usage as iphones at some point because I really like that feature on my phone and it annoys me the larger screen doesn’t support it at all. :sigh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What about deciding between the new A14 Air older A12Z Pro for more intensive use? I have half a mind to try using an iPad for work stuff by using Remote Desktop to access my windows desktop workstation for things like full-featured Word and Excel, since the iPad now seems like its native apps perform well enough to handle the photo and video editing I do. Is the new soc in the Air going to be better than the Pro for those kinds of tasks? I guess I could always output to a larger display too, if 11” gets to be too constraining.
Looking at Anandtech's benchmark comparisons, the Pro would probably be better for what you're doing. The A14 outperforms the A12Z in single-core, but the A12Z outperforms in multi-core and 3D rendering, which might be more relevant to video editing. None of which is surprising, given the A12Z has two more performance cores and 4 more GPU cores.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

priznat posted:

Are ipads going to get the same widget usage as iphones at some point because I really like that feature on my phone and it annoys me the larger screen doesn’t support it at all. :sigh:

Also where’s the App Library :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

Also where’s the App Library :colbert:

:agreed:!

A widget that is just a text entry area using pencil for notes would be really cool as well.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

priznat posted:

Yeah this loving sucks and I suspect they're keeping them gated in the landscape sidebar to try and make people use ipads as laptops. Between the big dock and folders I only use about half of one home screen for app icons and that dead space would be awesome to have filled with widgets

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

iPads still don't have a calculator

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Obviously if you need/want something now, there are no bad options there- just different like EndlessMike said. If you're in a place to hold out and you're thinking possibly Pro, might be best to hold off a few months for the new Pro's expected in the first quarter of 2021. You'll get the A14X most likely, new mini LED display, along with all the lidar bells and whistles of the 2020.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

iPads still don't have a calculator

Laff. What was the other app it didn’t have for ages, was it stocks?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Keep in mind you get 128 GB storage and 6 GB ram with the base Pro vs 64/4 with the base Air. With those, the 120hz display, and somewhat better speakers (and camera I guess if you're a weirdo lol), the extra cost from the Air to Pro gets you real useful improvements.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Definitely waiting for the new Pro, then. Thanks. I’m in no hurry and the 12.9” screen would probably be better for my purposes anyway.

Does anyone use their iPad as a Remote Desktop client? My employing institution does it pretty well, especially with all the wfh that’s been happening lately, but I’ve only ever done pc-to-pc before. I figure with a magic keyboard and whatever software Apple provides, I’d be set.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Get an M1 MacBook Air first. Probably much bigger perceived benefit to your work than adding an iPad right now.

Barring that I’d get an Air. Pro will probably get a big upgrade to widen the gap between it and the Air sometime in early 2021. Right now I don’t think it’s worth spending the extra money on an iPad Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Definitely waiting for the new Pro, then. Thanks. I’m in no hurry and the 12.9” screen would probably be better for my purposes anyway.

Does anyone use their iPad as a Remote Desktop client? My employing institution does it pretty well, especially with all the wfh that’s been happening lately, but I’ve only ever done pc-to-pc before. I figure with a magic keyboard and whatever software Apple provides, I’d be set.

I've used Jump desktop on my iPad quite a bit and been very pleased with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I've used Jump desktop on my iPad quite a bit and been very pleased with it.

Yeah I use Splashtop for Remote Desktop and it works great. Especially with the new keyboard trackpad combo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

priznat posted:

Laff. What was the other app it didn’t have for ages, was it stocks?
Yes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There's still no weather app, just the widget.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was excited to play some games on my iPad with a Bluetooth controller. Turns out the Nintendo Pro Controller isn’t compatible. Nintendo :argh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

I was excited to play some games on my iPad with a Bluetooth controller. Turns out the Nintendo Pro Controller isn’t compatible. Nintendo :argh:

Yeah they are dinks about that. Xbox one/ps4 controllers do work though and probably will be cleared out on BF to make way for the new stuff!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Martytoof posted:

Laminated screen for arguably better viewing experience

I just upgraded my iPad to a pro, my husband took my iPad and now the gap seriously bugs me. But it never bugged me before I started using a laminated screen so, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

priznat posted:

Yeah they are dinks about that. Xbox one/ps4 controllers do work though and probably will be cleared out on BF to make way for the new stuff!

Or just get the 8bitdo controllers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V5CFMY4?pf_rd_r=W1NTF4NA9J3TZDK3JKDB&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

Has switch modes as well as regular BT modes.