Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, but I'd rather they use the extra space for either greater battery capacity and/or better thermals so they can crank up the A14(X or Z or such).

This is what I'm looking for — allow higher TDP for the A14 to stay clocked up longer. My dad is still using an ancient Air (like a 2011 or 2012), says its fine for what he needs to do / wants to do, but I feel compelled to do something and an ARM MacBook seems perfect for his needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

movax posted:

This is what I'm looking for — allow higher TDP for the A14 to stay clocked up longer. My dad is still using an ancient Air (like a 2011 or 2012), says its fine for what he needs to do / wants to do, but I feel compelled to do something and an ARM MacBook seems perfect for his needs.

This is my situation too - wife still loves her 2012 Macbook Air, waiting until next week to spring for one. Aside from a somewhat loose hinge it's been an amazing piece of hardware. She also refuses to believe screen size is the same 13" because of how much the bezels have shrunk.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Grain of salt and all, but I'm excited:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/05/a14x-bionic-allegedly-benchmarked-days-before-apple-silicon-mac-event

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My parents have a 2009 iMac and I see no reason why a Gen 1 Apple Silicon replacement wouldn’t work perfectly for their needs right from the get-go.

Ironically my dad’s been through like five iPads and four iPhones in that time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Those are some spicy specs. I guess it all just boils down to software compatibility at this point. I'm sure for the vast majority of people who use MacBooks these will be great machines. I'm not ready to make that jump just yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

movax posted:

A souped up iPad Pro in a Macbook Air chassis with an active cooling system is gonna just scream.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

Those are some spicy specs. I guess it all just boils down to software compatibility at this point. I'm sure for the vast majority of people who use MacBooks these will be great machines. I'm not ready to make that jump just yet.

Yeah that's my feeling too. Adobe is going to have a particularly awful time I suspect, their stuff is already buggy as poo poo on Mac OS to the point I wish I could ditch it. But nice to see, my next MBP in 4 yrs or so should be very cool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah that's my feeling too. Adobe is going to have a particularly awful time I suspect, their stuff is already buggy as poo poo on Mac OS to the point I wish I could ditch it. But nice to see, my next MBP in 4 yrs or so should be very cool.

Should at least be able to run their iOS versions on day 1 though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Are plugins and stuff that would be Intel-only or Mac-only be a big deal these days?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, but those suck major rear end (Pshop & illustrator) or don't exist (Prem & AE, Indesign)

e; Im also grumpy because I'd really like to switch to Affinity completely but there's too many vendors and such I need to collaborate with on Adobe. Maybe this will fix that!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 6, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah, but those suck major rear end (Pshop & illustrator) or don't exist (Prem & AE, Indesign)

e; Im also grumpy because I'd really like to switch to Affinity completely but there's too many vendors and such I need to collaborate with on Adobe. Maybe this will fix that!

i'm lucky enough that for my needs affinity suits. super glad to leave adobe behind, so much cruft.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Adobe already committed to having their software on the new Apple Silicon Macs on day one though right, or at least they're already running in some form as of last spring? Wasn't that announced at WWDC?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Adobe already committed to having their software on the new Apple Silicon Macs on day one though right, or at least they're already running in some form as of last spring? Wasn't that announced at WWDC?

Yeah but given the state of CS on Mac OS I’m skeptical. Like yesterday Illustrator wouldn’t save. Just wouldn’t open a save or export dialogue box. Why? Who knows. And that sort of weird poo poo happens all the time (Catalina, 2019 16”). Premiere recently decided that all the dynamic link AE compositions in a project didn’t exist. At least once a week Photoshop requires a full reboot to be able to use Metal on the AMD GPU. Like it’s endless. So personally I’m not sure what their definition of ready day one means. But again, that’s not Apples issue, I’m sure the new chips are going to kick rear end.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Welp, I just ordered my first refurb (and the first Mac I've actually paid for myself; I got all my prior ones from work after they aged out). I actually have a need for running Windows x86 and x64 software (I occasionally need to use software for weird hardware that only comes in Windows versions), so I want to make sure I get one that can actually do that until/unless there's a solution for it on ARM. And, if there's something announced for it on Tuesday (some sort of emulation in VMWare or Parallels or something), I figure I can just return the refurb and wait for the second gen ARM MBPs.

I don't need a new laptop right now, even though mine's currently pretty long in the tooth (late 2013), but I want to make sure I don't end up needing to get one that can't run Windows software. I imagine that there'll be a solution eventually, but the road there will probably be pretty bumpy.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Wonder what the Xcode iOS simulator will be like...

They’ve got magic to accelerate JavaScript on mobile safari
https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/11/iphone-xs-javascript-performance/

People bitch about electron apps* but this is one case where as soon as chromium and node are recompiled for the osx platform you’ll be running without a hitch. Maybe not day 1 but I’d be surprised it wouldn’t be ready by day 100.

I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the Google V8 JS backend and replace it with the one in iOS safari with all the hardware specific advancements?

* slack discord atom vscode insomnia postman ms teams, many more

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 8, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

otter posted:

Good plan. Hold the event while we are all busy furiously stalking out xbox series xs on fed ex trucks online and can't get upset at the decisions that are made.

Hahaha like anyone is getting hyped about the x bones when the PS5 comes out Thursday. Why yes I did get one at GameStop :getin:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Somebody make a thread, man

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Rumors are saying that we might see a return to the days where the bigger and smaller “Pro” laptops are equivalently powerful and get the same internals.

A return to the p-p-p-p-powerbook days of yore?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LionArcher posted:

Hahaha like anyone is getting hyped about the x bones when the PS5 comes out Thursday. Why yes I did get one at GameStop :getin:

i'm actually mildly interested in an xbs or whatever it's called mostly for streaming

Ok Comboomer posted:

Rumors are saying that we might see a return to the days where the bigger and smaller “Pro” laptops are equivalently powerful and get the same internals.

A return to the p-p-p-p-powerbook days of yore?

hmmmm this is interesting

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I’m interested in seeing how Cinema4D turns out. It’s not buggy on Mac but your rendering engine options are somewhat limited. You can of course use standard CPU rendering, but GPU accelerated rendering is already limited on intel Macs.

C4D has ProRender (which Apple loves to use in benchmarks but is unused by professionals and hobbyists as far as I can tell. It sucks and isn’t really any faster than CPU rendering)
C4D also has Redshift, but it’s NVIDIA only currently.
Arnold is NVIDIA only currently.
Octane literally just released support for AMD.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah I’m interested in seeing how Cinema4D turns out. It’s not buggy on Mac but your rendering engine options are somewhat limited. You can of course use standard CPU rendering, but GPU accelerated rendering is already limited on intel Macs.

C4D has ProRender (which Apple loves to use in benchmarks but is unused by professionals and hobbyists as far as I can tell. It sucks and isn’t really any faster than CPU rendering)
C4D also has Redshift, but it’s NVIDIA only currently.
Arnold is NVIDIA only currently.
Octane literally just released support for AMD.

I’ve only used ProRender as an amateur for a blender project my daughter and I are doing, but in Blender at least it’s faster than Cycles on the cpu but I couldn’t say by how much or how significantly. I don’t do 3D work for money, if I did I probably wouldn’t be on Mac OS though. Nvidia owns that space.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my gf's 2019 macbook air is slammed at 100% CPU usage on various desktop apps like zoom and chrome. I pull up the activity monitor and it doesn't seem like anything that shouldn't be running is causing the problem. are there any good diagnostic apps to help to see if it's a hardware issue? a core i5 should not take 120 seconds to open a chrome tab

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

my gf's 2019 macbook air is slammed at 100% CPU usage on various desktop apps like zoom and chrome. I pull up the activity monitor and it doesn't seem like anything that shouldn't be running is causing the problem. are there any good diagnostic apps to help to see if it's a hardware issue? a core i5 should not take 120 seconds to open a chrome tab
Zoom eats CPU if you use virtual backgrounds (not sure about regular use...), Chrome isn't the best, and the 2019 MBAs are pretty slow in general. Is it ok if Zoom and Chrome are closed or does something else just eat up the CPU then? How's the RAM usage, and how much RAM does it have? If it's also running out of memory and swapping constantly I could see that causing things to go to poo poo.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

shrike82 posted:

i'm still bitter they killed the macbook 12". that was a good form factor.

Yup. Typing to you from one right now. Perfect for travel, posting from bed, walking around the house, etc. The final rev of the keyboard isn't so bad, even. My biggest complaint by far is that it's rather noticeably slow and quick to throttle, even with casual workloads.

12" MacBook with ARM is my dream machine, an instant purchase. Maybe the new Air will be small and appealing enough, but it's more likely I'll wait and pray.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

No announcement thread?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
he said the thing!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

yeah sure would be a shame to poo poo up the mac hardware thread with a mac hardware announcement

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

"Dino Mac DNA"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is all black gonna be Tim's new uniform?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Interesting, the Mac chips are branded as M1; part of me likes that it'll be forked from the A-designations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to gently caress with it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

japtor posted:

Zoom eats CPU if you use virtual backgrounds (not sure about regular use...), Chrome isn't the best, and the 2019 MBAs are pretty slow in general. Is it ok if Zoom and Chrome are closed or does something else just eat up the CPU then? How's the RAM usage, and how much RAM does it have? If it's also running out of memory and swapping constantly I could see that causing things to go to poo poo.
16gb of RAM. it didn’t appear to be a memory leak, just a screaming CPU. no virtual backgrounds.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
For all those folks doing hours of cpu-intensive activities while battery power.

Oh Apple, how you know me.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Still despise Apple's tendency to show graphs without any markers or labeling on either axis. Might as well just say "number go up" for all the information they provide.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lol that fake cyberpunk.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

no one tell jacob collier about m1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Native iOS apps right out of the gate? Hell yeah!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can run iPad and iPhone apps!

WINDOWS APPS.. uh you can run iPad and iPhone apps!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Lol and I just bought a 16in Macbook pro a month ago.

Honestly I'm pretty glad that I got the last "big" intel laptop. I'm mostly using it for music stuff and half of the plugins I use will probably never get ported over to arm tbh.

Lol the part of the presentation where the developers talk about how easy it is to migrate software over to ARM.

Yeah... I bought the first generation intel macs and remember how long the transition took. Hell I dug up my old white macbook a few weeks ago and remembered that I never updated it past snow leopard because iirc that was the last version that supported Rosetta.

m-muh plugins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Lol and I just bought a 16in Macbook pro a month ago.

Honestly I'm pretty glad that I got the last "big" intel laptop. I'm mostly using it for music stuff and half of the plugins I use will probably never get ported over to arm tbh.

Lol the part of the presentation where the developers talk about how easy it is to migrate software over to ARM.

Yeah... I bought the first generation intel macs and remember how long the transition took. Hell I dug up my old white macbook a few weeks ago and remembered that I never updated it past snow leopard because iirc that was the last version that supported Rosetta.

m-muh plugins.

The difference between how fast processors were gaining in speed during the PPC -> Intel transition vs Intel -> ARM is light-years apart.