Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

I legitimately didn't expect that 13" Macbook Pro's to get the apple silicone treatment this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, they're just gonna introduce their entire product stack with Apple Silicon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Let's see some ZBrush demo

edit: ok some 3D stuff thrown a bone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The "best selling windows laptop" is this piece of poo poo $350 Acer btw
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm getting flashbacks when the first Intel Mac introduced was the iMac and people were all "whaaaa" because it wasn't a pro machine

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FCKGW posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36/

Yeah, I'm figuring "98% of laptops sold last year" were probably overwhelmingly Chromebooks.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

FCKGW posted:

Apple has been exploiting developing markets buying the cheapest possible windows laptop in-mass to say "X faster than the best selling windows laptop" for literally a decade. They were pulling that poo poo about the first iPad.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FCKGW posted:

No, Intel and AMD just have been doing things wrong all the time.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Josh Lyman posted:

Who even buys a Mac mini these days? Do you have most desktop people wanting to buy iMacs?

You know how most PC's sold are far cheaper than an iMac? Guessing those people

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm getting flashbacks when the first Intel Mac introduced was the iMac and people were all "whaaaa" because it wasn't a pro machine

I want a dual-cpu 36C/64T Apple Silicon Mac Pro. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder why they put in a better camera ISP but it sounds like the lens and sensor are the same

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now introduce an iPad Pro XXL with a 22" screen and an M1 chip for desktop art please :pray:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder why they put in a better camera ISP but it sounds like the lens and sensor are the same

Yes definitely, sounds like they deliberately omitted any info about the sensor because it's the same. I feel like it's been the same for years.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I feel like it's straight up grammatically incorrect to say "X times faster" without also saying "than ..."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh, they're available next week. That's cool.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aw dang thursday big sur drop

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Josh Lyman posted:

Who even buys a Mac mini these days? Do you have most desktop people wanting to buy iMacs?

Eh, I'm considering it.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro, and I just want a modern Mac. I'm runing into poo poo finally where my Mac Pro just doesn't keep up anymore, incompatible software, and things like that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

FCKGW posted:

how so?

Just to avoid throttling and your lap becoming the heat sink. Might not be a problem with ARM chips based on the iPads only getting kinda warm but a full OS isn't as closed off and the chip can possibly be pushed to its thermal limit by having thirty discord windows open connected to a 4k monitor. I just don trust it yet, the other two lines have a fan so we'll see if that makes a difference or if they're clocked much higher so any heat difference is marginal.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress I totally blanked on this event.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

Just to avoid throttling and your lap becoming the heat sink. Might not be a problem with ARM chips based on the iPads only getting kinda warm but a full OS isn't as closed off and the chip can possibly be pushed to its thermal limit by having thirty discord windows open connected to a 4k monitor. I just don trust it yet, the other two lines have a fan so we'll see if that makes a difference or if they're clocked much higher so any heat difference is marginal.

Next week we will either get reports that it's good or it's a giant mess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still no 14 inches!!

:argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Wait, so do the new Air, Mini, and MBP have the same SoC? Are the limits mainly thermal/power?

I’m so confused....

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yup, just want to gently caress with it!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

holy poo poo
edit: bringing back Hodgeman for that last bit was fun

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Still no 14 inches!!

:argh:

That's what she said.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That's how you end it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was zoning out a bit during the presentation. Does the M1 in the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro have more cores than the Air? Or are they just clocked faster?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, so do the new Air, Mini, and MBP have the same SoC? Are the limits mainly thermal/power?

I’m so confused....

Yes, yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jabro posted:

That's how you end it.

That was great.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Lmao what the hell? I expected them to go one more thing and then they did and it was a dumb joke, this rules

Steve must be spinning in his grave from laughter

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm a joke One More Thing starring the PC guy from the old PC vs Mac commercials when you just introduced the new Macs which don't allow you to boot Windows anymore. Very good Apple, that's great. Cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

That's how you end it.

poo poo I had to drop early what did I miss?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bringing back Hodgman was fun.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably because those can iterate separately / in parallel, and the ISP SIP block might stay the same for a bit.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MarcusSA posted:

poo poo I had to drop early what did I miss?

The PC guy from the old Mac vs Windows commercial had a question. Won't spoil it but it should be on YouTube in about 5 seconds.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m so confused....

Yes. Also a $300 upcharge to get the "pro" at the end of your laptop with the same chipset in it.

I really have a hard time imagining the thermal differences in the Pro (a tiny laptop) and the Air (a marginally smaller tiny laptop) are going to be large enough to make the Pro 13 performance notably better.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Forgot this was starting when it did. Which is looking like the best value proposition if any?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Welp, guess I'm gonna be keeping the 16" I have coming tomorrow. No refresh today (didn't really expect one anyway, but you never know) probably means that it's gonna be the last Intel one they make. Hopefully by the time it nears the end of its useful life, there'll be a real option for Windows on these ARM Macs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

movax posted:

Probably because those can iterate separately / in parallel, and the ISP SIP block might stay the same for a bit.
Right, it's more a disappointment that we're still on 720p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

Interesting, so they replaced the low-end 8th gen Macbook Pros with the Apple silicon macs, but the 10th gen Intel Macbooks are still kicking.