Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

it's fine, i use you as a source on kentucky bourbon all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I hope you guys wish Mark Esper a happy return to his previous job after he got fired from SecDef

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"The crack entered the chat and said, 'I've got ideas.'"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Having Lacey on to discuss Gregor McGregor on BtB is spot on because while McGregor is otherwise perfect as the subject for podcasts about con artists like Scam Goddess, Lie Cheat and Steal, etc, the sheer amount of people that ended up dead because of him kind of takes the fun out of the story and sends him straight to BtB/The Dollop territory. This is a great middle ground.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i def recommend mike duncan's Revolutions podcast on the south american wars of independence against spain if you want to go deeper on the rest of that story. it's series 5. also i gotta admit i much prefer mike's pronunciation of caudillo to robert's.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Mr. Fix It posted:

i def recommend mike duncan's Revolutions podcast on the south american wars of independence against spain if you want to go deeper on the rest of that story. it's series 5. also i gotta admit i much prefer mike's pronunciation of caudillo to robert's.

Agreed although Mike is also famous for pronouncing words wrong.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Firstscion posted:

Agreed although Mike is also famous for pronouncing words wrong.

getting on mic to just have millions of pedants correct your pronunciation or slag you for vocal fry or whatever voice crimes must be the best part of podcasting

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Between “choking to death on bird piss” and the description of how the sea lion/seal oil trade worked I think this episode has the most nausea-inducing moments of any BtB

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DC Murderverse posted:

Between “choking to death on bird piss” and the description of how the sea lion/seal oil trade worked I think this episode has the most nausea-inducing moments of any BtB
If this was bad for you, don't listen to the Dollop's episode on Maquarie island. I think that's the episode that broke Gareth the most.

Robert was right, that is 1) a big rear end egg and 2) a really cool looking egg.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard (and it was not given nearly enough attention) that one of the effects of being on the island too long was that you'd see your name written in the patterns on the eggs?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 18, 2020

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AFewBricksShy posted:

If this was bad for you, don't listen to the Dollop's episode on Maquarie island. I think that's the episode that broke Gareth the most.

Robert was right, that is 1) a big rear end egg and 2) a really cool looking egg.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard (and it was not given nearly enough attention) that one of the effects of being on the island too long was that you'd see your name written in the patterns on the eggs?

Yeah Robert bought that up, it's such a strange but interesting way that the island would get to people.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Can't wait to listen to the ep about Rubin. I hate that motherfucker. Can we get one about Andy N'go and Tim Pool too please.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'd love a Tim Pool one. I feel like he's the person in the general alt-right-o-sphere I know the least about, beyond the fact that he makes his henchmen live in a compound with him and he wears a beanie to hide his bald spot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Should do an episode on Joe Biden.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ll bite: it’s pronounced sigh-aw-sit. But properly pronounced you need to inflect a glass shattering accent, like how I did when I heard see-oss-it.

But god that turd would be from LI, we produce such bafflingly spineless turds - Bill O’Reilly, Peter King, the Baldwins (WHO AREN’T FROM BALDWIN, NY. BULLSHIT)

Chairman Capone posted:

I'd love a Tim Pool one. I feel like he's the person in the general alt-right-o-sphere I know the least about, beyond the fact that he makes his henchmen live in a compound with him and he wears a beanie to hide his bald spot.

Honestly that sounds more like The Monarch from VB.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

I’ll bite: it’s pronounced sigh-aw-sit. But properly pronounced you need to inflect a glass shattering accent, like how I did when I heard see-oss-it.

But god that turd would be from LI, we produce such bafflingly spineless turds - Bill O’Reilly, Peter King, the Baldwins (WHO AREN’T FROM BALDWIN, NY. BULLSHIT)

Honestly that sounds more like The Monarch from VB.

Nah, it's Sigh-ah-sit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

eh it's a corruption of Dutch so it's kind of easy to gently caress up

Weirder NY town names etymologies if it doesnt appear to be English

1. Name from indigenous people living in the area when it was colonized or even the name of the indigenous people name themselves (e.g. Sintsind being written as Sing Sing)
2. some randomass Dutch word or corruption like Syosset or Yonkers or Catskill
3. There was a bird as classics nerd who named everything in central and western NY after Roman and Greek places
4. Horseheads.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

eh it's a corruption of Dutch so it's kind of easy to gently caress up

Weirder NY town names etymologies if it doesnt appear to be English

1. Name from indigenous people living in the area when it was colonized or even the name of the indigenous people name themselves (e.g. Sintsind being written as Sing Sing)
2. some randomass Dutch word or corruption like Syosset or Yonkers or Catskill
3. There was a bird as classics nerd who named everything in central and western NY after Roman and Greek places
4. Horseheads.

Mines is some weird translation from the natives the settlers inevitably butchered, and is incredibly bland. Long Island also has some rando biblical ones scattered about as well.

We all can’t be Spuyten Duyvil, I suppose.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Rubin's horrible stand-up catapulted me back to the early aughts when terrible comedians could coast on pointing at things and saying "that's gay", except apparently this dude decided he'd get in on the action by pointing at himself and saying "I'm gay" and waiting for the homophobe laffs to roll in.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just going from what Robert dug up in the episode, it seems like Islamophobia is the thing that started moving Rubin to the right (inasmuch as he was ever actually on the left). That also seems like a very aughts "intellectual" trend, particularly with people mentioned in the episode like Sam Hyde and Bill Maher.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, “intellectuals” consider themselves above the “enlightened barbarism” of religious groups, and they just kind of soft-shoe from theological critique to cultural and racial critique and their audience gets such a rush from nodding their heads along in synch that they become immune to criticism, it loving sucks. I bumped into this a ton in Philly, white progressives and hippies would tell me all about how horrible Muslims were and how awful Islam is whenever I’d tell them about the schools I taught in, with literally not an ounce of self-awareness. These were all Hilary voters.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

metachronos posted:

Can't wait to listen to the ep about Rubin. I hate that motherfucker. Can we get one about Andy N'go and Tim Pool too please.

Andy Ngo would just edit and repost the ep to make himself look good somehow.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

metachronos posted:

Robert did one on Ngo last year, it was essentially a two parter with James O'Keefe on right wing news grifters.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I just heard Robert’s ad read for WoW for the first time and it sounded like he was using that patronizing tone cool kids use right before they say “PSYCH! You fuckin’ nerds WoW sucks” before giving them all wedgies

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I just heard Robert’s ad read for WoW for the first time and it sounded like he was using that patronizing tone cool kids use right before they say “PSYCH! You fuckin’ nerds WoW sucks” before giving them all wedgies

that actually bums me out. i had a hard time figuring out how to read the ad but I actually love WoW, it was a big part of my childhood and i'm happy to push it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When is the 40K pocast? We ungrateful listeners demand content!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

DC Murderverse posted:

Do you guys get that ad for that "inspo" podcast where the one woman talks about finding joy in being poor or some poo poo? It's very obnoxious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of the ads are loving hilarious and gross contrasted with the sort of content on BTB/WYE/Zeitgeist.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I once got the ad for Lily Allen's vibrator four times over two ad breaks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

When is the 40K pocast? We ungrateful listeners demand content!

same. behind the bastards: why Big E was a very bad dad.

GunFondler42069 posted:

that actually bums me out. i had a hard time figuring out how to read the ad but I actually love WoW, it was a big part of my childhood and i'm happy to push it.

i never played wow. i was always age of empires/star wars/spyro as a kid.

Testekill posted:

I once got the ad for Lily Allen's vibrator four times over two ad breaks

i mostly get the boring ads about that sex/romance podcast.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of the ads are loving hilarious and gross contrasted with the sort of content on BTB/WYE/Zeitgeist.

Seriously most of the ads are the most stereotypical "girlboss" stuff ever, to the point of parody.

Hey Robert, are there any plans to move away from iHeart Radio? If only to spare your viewers these ads.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was an Arriana Huffington one today about how if you're miserable you should just quit your job and do something that makes you happy!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I got some female empowerment athleisure ad for Q Clearance, which was especially funny because I feel like the target demo for that athleisure brand is probably the same group of Instagram influencers who got sucked into QAnon this year.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Neo_Crimson posted:

Seriously most of the ads are the most stereotypical "girlboss" stuff ever, to the point of parody.

Hey Robert, are there any plans to move away from iHeart Radio? If only to spare your viewers these ads.

the ads are y'know, ads, but i can honestly say iHeart is the best employer i've ever had. they're responsive whenever I need an ad pulled (like with Koch, Nancy Grace), give me total control over what (voiced) ads i accept and are extremely supportive of any project i pitch. i've never had them turn down an idea or tell me i couldn't say something. And the pay is pretty outrageous at this moment.

I know there are folks who think I could do a patreon or whatever, and I'm sure i could, but i have several issues with that:

1. I like the team I work with at iHeart (esp sophie) and no patreon I could reasonably get would pay us all living wages and healthcare

2. we are in a pandemic and economic downturn, money is very tight especially for a lot of the people who like my work. i have friends who make their living off patreon and that pool of money is not endless

3. generally crowdfunding involves backer-exclusive content, and i like that everything i put out is free to anyone who wants to listen

4. the size of their network is significant and they do a great job of amplifying my work. i think the stuff i'm putting out there is important, and because of iheart's reach I am able to reach millions of folks.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GunFondler42069 posted:

lol I think it's just that I haven't heard that effusive praise of WoW in a long time without it being sarcastic, it's nothing about you specifically

GunFondler42069 posted:

1. I like the team I work with at iHeart (esp sophie)

Sophie really does put your show over the top. As I was going through your backlog, you can hear her chiming in more often as time goes on. it makes for a lot of really fun moments and it's very clear that the two of you enjoy working together.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the star of the show is clearly Anderson and I'm not sorry to say that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can imagine another employer asking you to stop waving knives at guests while recording, so I get it.

The last school I taught at didn't mind me occasionally carrying around a sledgehammer to threaten students with. Same vibes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I gotta say, iHeartRadio has gotten way better than the old clearchannel days, they're not so nakedly evil anymore

I will take it, they make podcasts that make me feel marginally less awful, they get a pass from me at least

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

GunFondler42069 posted:

the ads are y'know, ads, but i can honestly say iHeart is the best employer i've ever had. they're responsive whenever I need an ad pulled (like with Koch, Nancy Grace), give me total control over what (voiced) ads i accept and are extremely supportive of any project i pitch. i've never had them turn down an idea or tell me i couldn't say something. And the pay is pretty outrageous at this moment.

I know there are folks who think I could do a patreon or whatever, and I'm sure i could, but i have several issues with that:

1. I like the team I work with at iHeart (esp sophie) and no patreon I could reasonably get would pay us all living wages and healthcare

2. we are in a pandemic and economic downturn, money is very tight especially for a lot of the people who like my work. i have friends who make their living off patreon and that pool of money is not endless

3. generally crowdfunding involves backer-exclusive content, and i like that everything i put out is free to anyone who wants to listen

4. the size of their network is significant and they do a great job of amplifying my work. i think the stuff i'm putting out there is important, and because of iheart's reach I am able to reach millions of folks.

That is all great to hear, and (to me at least) a very reasonable way to look at the business you're in.
What I'd like to see is you make a thread or effort post in GWS about your pit turkey. Next time you do one, take a bunch of pics, and tell us how it's done. Or, you could youtube it. I'm interested in hearing/watching/reading/seeing more about all that.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

GunFondler42069 posted:

That ad in particular actually made me smile, something about the apparent enthusiasm for WoW in the middle of a somewhat downer episode was very funny. "Real life sucks, screw this, we're going back to WoW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

rotinaj posted:

I gotta say, iHeartRadio has gotten way better than the old clearchannel days, they're not so nakedly evil anymore

I will take it, they make podcasts that make me feel marginally less awful, they get a pass from me at least

i mean, even if they are evil that just heightens the praxis of taking their money and spending it on guns and kratom