Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bringin home some tendies i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sterf posted:

Apart from the Switch, haven't had a console since the PS1, little overwhelmed by all the games on Game Pass I have to say :P Anything 'not to be missed'? Which I know is a very broad question...
Also, the A/B X/Y buttons seem to be in the wrong order :D

It is overwhelming, yes. Some things I can suggest, I don't know what you've played:

Less narrative-focused indies:

- Untitled Goose Game - Ruin everyone's day as a goose
- The Touryst - Go on a vacation
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Castlevania in all but name
- Carrion - You are the monster
- Celeste - Platformer that controls great
- Dead Cells - Excellent roguelite with progression
- Goat Simulator - This game is very stupid, and intentionally so, but it can be fun
- Journey to the Savage Planet - Explore a hostile planet, very metroidvania
- Hollow Knight - "What if Dark Souls was a 2D platformer with insects?"

More narrative-focused indies:

- Outer Wilds (not The Outer Worlds) - Die in space, not metroidvania at all
- Hypnospace Outlaw - Browse through an alternate reality time capsule of the 90's
- Night in the Woods - Highly acclaimed lite adventure game about growing up
- What Remains of Edith Finch - Explore an empty(?) house
- The Talos Principle - Philosophical 3D puzzle game from the makers of Serious Sam, which makes no sense at all
- CrossCode - I never knew I wanted to play a solo 2D MMO until I found this
- Deliver Us The Moon - This surprised me, though it's not the most polished thing
- Eastshade - A first-person painter's journey through nice landscapes
- Kona - Canadian walkabout game with survival elements
- Katana Zero - Hotline Miami but you are a ninja
- Night Call - Drive a taxi in Paris and solve mysteries

(narrative is subjective here, I just didn't want to pile them all in one list)

Larger productions:

- Yakuza 0 - Japanese gangsters in the 80's
- Batman: Arkham Knight - Very split opinions on this one, but I liked it overall
- Burnout Paradise Remastered - If you've never played it, this holds up remarkably well
- Forza Horizon 4 - This is a more modernized version of the above
- Monster Hunter: World - Kill giant monsters, then kill them again
- Halo: Master Chief Collection - Do you like Halo? Microsoft hopes you like Halo
- NieR: Automata - Androids in the post-apocalypse... is one synopsis but there are others
- Titanfall 2 - One of the best singleplayer campaigns in quite some time, really
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - In case you've somehow not played this yet, it's here

Not everything on this list qualifies as "unmissable" but it covers a lot of ground.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 10, 2020

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ErrEff posted:

A very good list!

This is very good, but be forewarned, you may start playing Yakuza Games and will be unable to stop. (1 and 2 are both also on GamePass).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is there a way to remotely install games? I remember doing it with the Xbone but can't find a way to do it with the app on my phone or pc. Stuck at work and wanted to get some games downloading before I get home.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just picked it up! The Walmart guy actually Walked out with me to my car to put it in and they had it covered up with other stuff, he said they were afraid of a literal riot breaking out if people saw it in the store.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I tried to play a Yakuza game, but it just felt like a poormans version of Sleeping Dogs :/

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Nuts and Gum posted:

I tried to play a Yakuza game, but it just felt like a poormans version of Sleeping Dogs :/

????? What is this opinion

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

'sup crosstrek buddy

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

wandler20 posted:

Is there a way to remotely install games? I remember doing it with the Xbone but can't find a way to do it with the app on my phone or pc. Stuck at work and wanted to get some games downloading before I get home.

You should be able to do it per game if you're logged into the site.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got my Series X box (are we abbreviating this "SeXbox"? Because I am) And I streamed the setup and done BC games last night, and today I brought it up to my main tv, but it refuses to let me do 60fps 4k even though my Roku has no problem with it. I've tried every setting I can think of and googled the hell out of it, and I can do 1080p 120fps or 4k 24fps... I'm using the hdmi cable from the box and I've tried all my hdmi ports. If I try to set it manually it won't even let me try, it just says "your display doesn't support 4k, loser" IT DOES AND I'M NOT A LOSER, MICROSOFT! It's weird because it'll let me set like 1440p which my display has no idea what to do with.

Is this a thing? Why is this a thing?

It's a crazy old 4k tv, (LETV x3-55 pro) but it angers my bones my roku will do it but not my SeXbox.

If anyone has any ideas I will be forever in your debt.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I highly recommend the Ori games, they are fun and have a lot of heart.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ZenVulgarity posted:

????? What is this opinion

I fought some kids in an alley and then had to do karaoke or something but I had already just done that in sleeping dogs so I gave up.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yakuza is its own thing, if you expect a GTA going in then it'll disappoint you. If I had to assign it a genre it'd be something like "crime epic casual JRPG"

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

acksplode posted:

Yakuza is its own thing, if you expect a GTA going in then it'll disappoint you. If I had to assign it a genre it'd be something like "crime epic casual JRPG"

Super serious story, anything goes side stories.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The series has never been GTA Japan like people keep expecting. In reality it was Awesome River City Ransom.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

ErrEff posted:

great suggestions

That must be a great list because the ones I know out of them I all love :) Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dunkey’s video on Y0 covers the tone whiplash Yakuza brings to the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtgI8lJ9r4

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For someone who has not had an Xbox since the 360 and honestly never played it besides gears and Halo reach, i’ve been PS since day one, is there any useful explanation of how the Microsoft ecosystem works or is it basically PS with a different coat of paint?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

703 posted:

'sup crosstrek buddy
:hai:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For someone who has not had an Xbox since the 360 and honestly never played it besides gears and Halo reach, i’ve been PS since day one, is there any useful explanation of how the Microsoft ecosystem works or is it basically PS with a different coat of paint?

I find Microsofts ecosystem to be a lot more accessible and user friendly, by quite a lot compared to PlayStation. For games that Microsoft makes, it'll come down to personal preference of course. One of the things Microsoft does extremely well is backwards compatibility, and GamePass giving you very easy access to a lot of really good games for a very cheap monthly fee.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dunkey’s video on Y0 covers the tone whiplash Yakuza brings to the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtgI8lJ9r4

Christ alright I will give this game another go. Protecting MJ from zombies while he dances is the hook that caught me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yakuza 0 (and 1 and 2) is really good and im very happy MS oddly got first crack at next gen for Y7. Sleeping dogs is also good but comparing the two isnt really useful. I'm actually playing the sleeping dogs remaster right now, It has really fun combat and driving but the world feels empty. Yakuza's word and activities make the game and it is just very different overall.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

I find Microsofts ecosystem to be a lot more accessible and user friendly, by quite a lot compared to PlayStation. For games that Microsoft makes, it'll come down to personal preference of course. One of the things Microsoft does extremely well is backwards compatibility, and GamePass giving you very easy access to a lot of really good games for a very cheap monthly fee.

Awesome. I was thinking of using Gamepass to build up a quick library and take some of the sting out of Legion and COD being on the PS4. Only wish the Lego games were on it, but such is life. I have a feeling my son will love that pseudo Disneyland tour game. Nice change of pace for kid who has been stuck in doors for the past few months. Luckily he was able to see Disney World before everything fell apart last year, but not likely to see another one any time soon.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Woohoo got a $10 refund from my Costco order.

$539 for the console and extra controller.

Same, the fact that they just automatically gave me the refund without having to do anything is why I support a one-world government under Costco Rule.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I am stoked that my series X is on the delivery vehicle. I wonder if FedEx has trucks that are specifically just delivering xboxes today.
I think i might let go of my PS4. The only games i have on it are:
Uncharted (that they gave out for free months ago and I haven't played)
sonic mania which I also have on xbox
a fortnite account I can bind to my switch.

I wanted to get the wipeout game for it, but it has been a super low priority that I keep forgetting about.
If wipeout and The Show were available for xbox i'd just give the ps4 away at this point.

Can the PS4 even play old playstation games like Wipeout XL?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

Its a very rich mans version of river city ransom actually

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

otter posted:

I am stoked that my series X is on the delivery vehicle. I wonder if FedEx has trucks that are specifically just delivering xboxes today.
I think i might let go of my PS4. The only games i have on it are:
Uncharted (that they gave out for free months ago and I haven't played)
sonic mania which I also have on xbox
a fortnite account I can bind to my switch.

I wanted to get the wipeout game for it, but it has been a super low priority that I keep forgetting about.
If wipeout and The Show were available for xbox i'd just give the ps4 away at this point.

Can the PS4 even play old playstation games like Wipeout XL?
The Show will be appearing on other platforms as early as next year.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

thats what i hear... 1/2

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Awesome. I was thinking of using Gamepass to build up a quick library and take some of the sting out of Legion and COD being on the PS4. Only wish the Lego games were on it, but such is life. I have a feeling my son will love that pseudo Disneyland tour game. Nice change of pace for kid who has been stuck in doors for the past few months. Luckily he was able to see Disney World before everything fell apart last year, but not likely to see another one any time soon.

My limited memory of the Disneyland game is that it's a poor game with an very accurate representation of Disneyland as a hub, so the walking around part is pretty cool (and hopefully the XSX can bruteforce the framerate higher).

Gamepass has redefined my purchasing habits similarly to how Netflix changed things back in the day - I may and do buy stuff but I buy much less because either I hope for GP inclusion or decide to play things on GP instead. I think a lot of the games are kid-friendly so it's a hell of a way to keep your kid entertained for pretty cheap.

Play Outer Wilds if you haven't, one of the best games from the last couple years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RodShaft posted:

I got my Series X box (are we abbreviating this "SeXbox"? Because I am) And I streamed the setup and done BC games last night, and today I brought it up to my main tv, but it refuses to let me do 60fps 4k even though my Roku has no problem with it. I've tried every setting I can think of and googled the hell out of it, and I can do 1080p 120fps or 4k 24fps... I'm using the hdmi cable from the box and I've tried all my hdmi ports. If I try to set it manually it won't even let me try, it just says "your display doesn't support 4k, loser" IT DOES AND I'M NOT A LOSER, MICROSOFT! It's weird because it'll let me set like 1440p which my display has no idea what to do with.

Is this a thing? Why is this a thing?

It's a crazy old 4k tv, (LETV x3-55 pro) but it angers my bones my roku will do it but not my SeXbox.

If anyone has any ideas I will be forever in your debt.

Have you tried connecting it to the same HDMI input that the Roku or other things you've connected previously have done 60hz in? TVs are a pain in that not all HDMI ports are created equal (and sometimes theres menu settings where you have to enable things like Deep Color etc just to add confusion).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to say I really really love how this was packaged. Everything safe and secure and the stickers easily came off. Felt like it was very Nintendo like for lack of a better term.

Edit:^^ thanks for the Disneyland issues. My son being pretty young should be happy with the walking around parts and even poor or meh quests.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Uh, Bright Memory just straight up has all the PC-style graphics options to tweak. Interesting choice.

Edit: lol if you pause while the games in slow motion your cursor moves suuuuuuper sloooowly

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The future is now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my new controller and it's pretty nice, but I'm disappointed in the bluetooth. It doesn't show up as an xbox controller, just a generic controller with axes and buttons which means the xbox button doesn't bring up the overlay and it seems like the triggers don't work. Guess I don't get to get rid of my xbox wireless dongle after all. :/

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just want to say I really really love how this was packaged. Everything safe and secure and the stickers easily came off. Felt like it was very Nintendo like for lack of a better term.

It really was enjoyable to open up, hassle free, and made it feel like a high end piece of equipment.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
While I was picking it up my cat (apparently) kicked one of my AirPods into an unknowable location so I'm currently searching around for that before I sit down and set this thing up.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can ping AirPods and they'll chirp via findmyiphone or icloud

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Akuma posted:

Uh, Bright Memory just straight up has all the PC-style graphics options to tweak. Interesting choice.

Edit: lol if you pause while the games in slow motion your cursor moves suuuuuuper sloooowly

gently caress it why not

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Trip report: Bright Memory is not a good game. It's like modern Doom but real janky, and not in a particularly good way. High hopes for the sequel!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If you have them on 360 you can just throw your disk in the series x and it'll download them. You just have to have the disk in to verify.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you tried connecting it to the same HDMI input that the Roku or other things you've connected previously have done 60hz in? TVs are a pain in that not all HDMI ports are created equal (and sometimes theres menu settings where you have to enable things like Deep Color etc just to add confusion).

Yeah, I even tried unplugging everything else just in case. Super weird