Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Just a lil fascist authoritarian humor guys ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haha whoops the mask slipped there for a second no biggie lol aaaanyways...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

Haha whoops the mask slipped there for a second no biggie lol aaaanyways...

I could totally see this as Pompeo being serious, remember he thought his duty as Secretary of State was to ring in the loving end times and bring Jesus back. Literally.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That did not sound like a joke, that sounded like him being incredulous about an admin change occurring.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Wouldn’t it be funny if we kissed? Haha jk.... but wouldn’t it be funny?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Wouldn’t it be funny if we kissed? Haha jk.... but wouldn’t it be funny?

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1326243853037424641?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EBB posted:

That did not sound like a joke, that sounded like him being incredulous about an admin change occurring.

He told a dumb joke, laughed at his joke, then said "Alright. (because no one laughed at the joke) We're ready. The world is watching what's taking place. We're gonna count all the votes. When the process is complete, there will be electors selected. There's a process. The constitution lays it out pretty clearly. And the world should have every confidence that the transition necessary to make sure the the state department that is functional today, successful today, and successful with the president who is in office january 20th, a minute after noon, will also be successful."

He's just waiting for either trump to concede so they can start or until after the electoral vote occurs and trump has no choice but accept the results.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bird cooch posted:

Dubya actually called and sent a letter congratulating Biden on his victory so, I mean it's not nothing

the left eating itself isn't a new thing, and if you've been at this for a while you will see that it is one of the most frustrating points. The Republican party has such a narrow focus group that they don't have to worry about all of the big tent politics the Democratic party does. The Democratic party encompasses the entire scope of people who are "not Republicans" from Machin to AOC.

The tea party style circular firing squad tricks seem to simply not work. You can't refine it down to a sharper point through compaction cycles because the membership is too disparate. You just find yourself outside of the tent and outside of power. That's why there's no Democratic version of Fox news or Rush Limbaugh etc etc.

At least that's my thoughts on it.

I don't think this is specifically a big tent problem. If I had to take a stab at it, I would say that left wing theories tend to be more transformative of society as a whole so therefore there is a lot of disagreement on how exactly things should be. You can slice the left up into the smallest chunks possible and still find massive disagreement over fundamental things. On the other side of things, right wing politics are conservative, in that they want things to stay the same or go backwards to something that has already existed. Easier to come to a consensus on things that have existed before you just gotta do it again but a little better.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Eej posted:

I don't think this is specifically a big tent problem. If I had to take a stab at it, I would say that left wing theories tend to be more transformative of society as a whole so therefore there is a lot of disagreement on how exactly things should be. You can slice the left up into the smallest chunks possible and still find massive disagreement over fundamental things. On the other side of things, right wing politics are conservative, in that they want things to stay the same or go backwards to something that has already existed. Easier to come to a consensus on things that have existed before you just gotta do it again but a little better.

This is a really good read and I'm going to take some time and think about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Eej posted:

I've said it before (Though less eloquently) and I completely agree.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm in this weird position where I'm back to normal, but doomscrolling is still a thing. So I'm trying to cut the doomscrolling, but if I didn't doomscroll, I wouldn't have absolutely exploded laughing at this:

https://twitter.com/pashulman/status/1326246036076113921?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woofer posted:

Just a lil fascist authoritarian humor guys ;)

Joe had a p. good response to it

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1326251906939936768?s=19

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
hey Marines I made this for you on that special day when you get drunk and fight other Marines in your fancy outfits.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I've been to local events hosted by both parties. A few of my family members are local GOP hotshots while I briefly dabbled in the Dem party before saying gently caress that and becoming a leftist.

Dem party meets are a totally different environment. GOP events weirdly have this sort of elitist sense of unity, there are not really different caucuses,any actual differences are pretty marginal. Dem party events on the other hand are a circus of infighting because the progressives and black caucus would go ham in trying to hold the centrists and blue dogs that were running the meeting to account or actually get them to do anything.

Right after Trump was elected I switched from being "apolitical" having only attended GOP/NRA events when I was younger and ended up walking out in disgust on how the week Trump was elected the local dem party leadership spent the first 30 minutes of the meeting whining about something totally irrelevant, picking fights and focusing on dumb poo poo before even mentioning "oh lol we hosed up this cycle and just elected a fascist." I quickly realized I would have to go a lot further left to find any actual activism. The Dem party just isn't a cohesive unit like the GOP is. The GOP has just to win, it's their only mandate.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I've been to local events hosted by both parties. A few of my family members are local GOP hotshots while I briefly dabbled in the Dem party before saying gently caress that and becoming a leftist.

Dem party meets are a totally different environment. GOP events weirdly have this sort of elitist sense of unity, there are not really different caucuses,any actual differences are pretty marginal. Dem party events on the other hand are a circus of infighting because the progressives and black caucus would go ham in trying to hold the centrists and blue dogs that were running the meeting to account or actually get them to do anything.

Right after Trump was elected I switched from being "apolitical" having only attended GOP/NRA events when I was younger and ended up walking out in disgust on how the week Trump was elected the local dem party leadership spent the first 30 minutes of the meeting whining about something totally irrelevant, picking fights and focusing on dumb poo poo before even mentioning "oh lol we hosed up this cycle and just elected a fascist." I quickly realized I would have to go a lot further left to find any actual activism. The Dem party just isn't a cohesive unit like the GOP is. The GOP has just to win, it's their only mandate.

But going further left to find activism just pushes you out of the tent where you could actually have some say. I'm in loving Texas yall, our party organization here is basically non-existent and it's a bunch of folks who have lifetime blood feuds with each other. The only way out is through.

I'm back to going to stuff again and I'm just going to stand on these people if I have to.

Find some activism and bring it back with you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
before you even address the 'big tent' problem you need to understand that the tent is paid for and supplied by the same people who provide the republican's.

then we have to address that a rather large portion of the democrat's base is people who are single issue Democrats but otherwise Republicans. this is, of course, who the party chooses to pander to, with predictable and deadly consequences.

scratch a centrist, a republican bleeds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1326263424146399232?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/deanbrowningpa/status/1326190098086506496?s=21

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
If you want to change the rules of the game you have to win, and to win you have to play. Saying both parties are the same is juvenile and untrue. Saying both parties suck is juvenile and true. Complaining doesn't fix things. Neither does throwing a fit.

Say what you will about the republicans, but behind the scenes they are cool, calm, and calculated. Well not Trump he's an emotional wreck. Being angry can actually help you in a lot of situations, but it has to be directed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hannity was going all in on the stolen election from what snippets I manage to hear so it's no surprise. I assume the rest of the network is the same way

Unsure if website is slow as poo poo or my internet lol

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Whatever this was, it's gone

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hannity was going all in on the stolen election from what snippets I manage to hear so it's no surprise. I assume the rest of the network is the same way

Unsure if website is slow as poo poo or my internet lol

People keep saying "coup" and I'm like no, it's not a coup. But uhhhh

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

The internet never forgets.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

GoGoGadget posted:

He forgot that he wasn't logged into his sockpuppet account.

https://twitter.com/amyspitalnick/status/1326267519804596225?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's amazing how truly evil a mother fucker murdoch is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I implore all of you to attend your local party meetings and county conventions, especially if you live in a completely demoralized red state, because it's absolutely shocking how much power is just lying around for the taking. I was given a seat on the state executive committee at the first meeting I attended simply for being the only person there physically capable of driving a 3 hour round trip once a month and am likely to be the next county chair for the same reason.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 10, 2020

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

https://isthisacoup.com/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

still a pretty loving bad joke all things considered

It’s like Stalin making a “joke” about shooting a dissident.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1326270844650344450?s=20

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's a hell of a way to live your life. Just talking to yourself all day online.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

lol this is why you gotta use separate devices for different accounts so you have a physical reminder where you're posting from

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Everyday on Twitter your goal should be to not be the star. Way to go Dean

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Beyond the racism of coopting an identity to boost your ideas, he also went into more obvious basic racism.

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1326274847509516288?s=21

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

still a pretty loving bad joke all things considered

We begin bombing in five minutes.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol this is why you gotta use separate devices for different accounts so you have a physical reminder where you're posting from

the Fort Bragg protocol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Missed this yesterday. GiP favorite Derek Lowe thinks that the Pfizer press release can be trusted (Fauci was saying so too), so that's a positive.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/09/vaccine-efficacy-data

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1326038189971288064

Who would have guessed that 2020 is a side effect of COVID?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
In fairness I know plenty of people who didn't get covid and quality for one or more of those diagnoses at this point in 2020.

While there is a fair amount of evidence of neurological impact from covid infection, I'm not sure correlation = causation in this case

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Beyond the racism of coopting an identity to boost your ideas, he also went into more obvious basic racism.

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1326274847509516288?s=21

He got someone on fiverr most likely to fly cover for him, rest of twitter isn't having it.

https://twitter.com/DanPurdy322/status/1326283962503794689

I mean if twitter is wrong, that would be something. There are real Clayton Bigsby's out there I'm sure. The ratio is wild as gently caress though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1326038189971288064

Who would have guessed that 2020 is a side effect of COVID?

Hahahaha I already have all of those. Do your worst, COVID!

:smith: