Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my favourite is when players go into a weeks-long sulk because I congratulated them on their first international cap/goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My favourite was that guy who made the Millwall Murderers team, and when his keeper scored a goal from a free kick he praised the player only to be told "yeah gently caress off I've scored better goals than that"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

vyelkin posted:

My favourite was that guy who made the Millwall Murderers team, and when his keeper scored a goal from a free kick he praised the player only to be told "yeah gently caress off I've scored better goals than that"

Rodrigo Ceni is somewhere smiling reading this

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

Disappointed with their lazy stance on covid modelling.

Do we really want covid in our football manager?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

New Feature:

Lay off your Mascot and support staff!

Beg your players to take a pay cut!

Get embarrassed by your 29 year old "star player" rotting in the reserves as he financially owns you by paying for your recently scorned mascot!

Try to take over the league with your choice of heated rival!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sassassin posted:

Disappointed with their lazy stance on covid modelling.

Greatly prefer them lazily not modelling things to the usual "lazily modelling them".

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

brb lazily modeling my players shooting into the side net instead of squaring it to the striker with 20 finishing 20 technique and 20 off the ball

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Prrt, crosses. Just lol if you don't give your keeper 20 free kicks and penalties and get him the golden boot via set piece supremacy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Remember when they couldn’t be bothered modeling a winter World Cup so sometime in 2019 you would get a notification like “btw world cup is now gonna be in *throws dart at map* australia in 2022”

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of the world cup, zealand is announcing the 2026 cup on his channel and it's more entertaining than I'd have expected.

http://www.twitch.tv/zeaiand

As I write this Argentina is having it's way with Portugal in the round of 16

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

Do we really want covid in our football manager?

I do. I want up to a few years of extreme economic uncertainty and wonderkids getting stuck halfway around the world in quarantine. Game's the same every year, time for a hard mode edition.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sounds like hard mode in this instance could be replicated by just not kidnapping south american 16 year olds

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Speaking of the world cup, zealand is announcing the 2026 cup on his channel and it's more entertaining than I'd have expected.

http://www.twitch.tv/zeaiand

As I write this Argentina is having it's way with Portugal in the round of 16

I watched a video of his the other day and he's got some really daft ideas about player ratings. Thought that Dominic Calvert-Lewin couldn't be PL player of the month or an England international with a 149 CA/PA.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

I watched a video of his the other day and he's got some really daft ideas about player ratings. Thought that Dominic Calvert-Lewin couldn't be PL player of the month or an England international with a 149 CA/PA.

Literally just sounds like he's never heard of crap players having purple patches where everything goes right for them for a while, like how Michu looked like a world-class striker for like 18 months and then reverted to type

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A 149 player is literally a star player for most PL teams (at game start), and high enough above the average rating to expect to bully half the division.

It's not like me getting Wayne Routledge a player of the year award.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Julio Cruz posted:

my favourite is when players go into a weeks-long sulk because I congratulated them on their first international cap/goal

This might be a top-10 Strange FM Thing but it's even stranger when combined with how shy the game is about making licensed players look bad. If I have 1 professionalism and 1 ambition which, some days I fuckin' might, my personality will only ever show up as "balanced," the funny ones are only for regens. I think things like diving for fouls and crowding the ref technically are in the game but it doesn't try to bring attention to them. No handbags, violent conduct, normal shithouse stuff. And there's that thing about missing training (and maybe going on strike?) that's regens-only. But then half the player interaction is them going "gently caress you for congratulating me."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Had the email confirming my newgen is still in the game. Keep an eye out for a Welsh Cannavaro on intake day(s).

Please don't throw any bottles at him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hello I have a combined 2000 hours of FM play time on Steam and I thought I was done with it when my trusty laptop started crying whenever I tried to load a custom 'English football pyramid from tier 12 up' database but now I have a proper PC and I need someone to stop me from buying the new one before it destroys my job and marriage thanks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any word if 2021 will also launch on GamePass or will it take a few months for it to come out on there?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there any word if 2021 will also launch on GamePass or will it take a few months for it to come out on there?

I'm guaranteeing they're waiting on pre-orders to kind of come in before they make that announcement. So probably wait until the end of the beta or Release date.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sassassin posted:

A 149 player is literally a star player for most PL teams (at game start), and high enough above the average rating to expect to bully half the division.

It's not like me getting Wayne Routledge a player of the year award.

There's a guy on the SI forums who's really annoyed that it might be possible to have a CA 100/110 player in a Champions League-winning side.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

kingturnip posted:

There's a guy on the SI forums who's really annoyed that it might be possible to have a CA 100/110 player in a Champions League-winning side.

Won’t show them AI controlled Poland winning the 2020 Euros in my FM20 save without Lewandowski in the squad for the final. They beat a 9 man France 3-2 in extra time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kingturnip posted:

I think this has been true for every champions winning team I've ever had because I end up needing to register some .5 star hgc to meet the requirements

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rhian Brewster was on the bench in the 2019 final irl.

Came into my file last January at 114, which proved pretty accurate.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 22, 2020

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Do we not have a fantasy football league?

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
This is the first year since 96/97 that I haven't pre-ordered yet.

The features added just don't seem to be enough for me to want to buy it. Mostly just seems like another superficial level of fluff on the areas of the game I don't really care about.

Think I'm going to wait a while to see what the consensus of opinion is on the match engine this time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stotty posted:

This is the first year since 96/97 that I haven't pre-ordered yet.

The features added just don't seem to be enough for me to want to buy it. Mostly just seems like another superficial level of fluff on the areas of the game I don't really care about.

Think I'm going to wait a while to see what the consensus of opinion is on the match engine this time.

I've honestly been tempted to cancel my preorder. I always did the press conferences anyway, but I can't say I've wanted it to take longer or have "LA Noire" style reading of the chairman's body language features to determine if I'm choosing the right answers. They've said in the videos that just sending your assman is going to be a bad idea so anyone that didn't want the press conferences before might be forced into it.

I'm also not sure I needed a "Temba, his arms wide" interaction when talking to players either.

There's also new vision items like "Must spend entire transfer budget" which frankly is going to be really annoying if they didn't fix the reputation system so there's actually things to spend money on some years.

Other than being able to tell my analysts what to do there's really not much selling me on 21 atm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those idiots they had streaming were using some real clowncar tactics. Glad Miles stepped in to sort it out (or try to).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sassassin posted:

Those idiots they had streaming were using some real clowncar tactics. Glad Miles stepped in to sort it out (or try to).

I've watched maybe an hour of that stream, and it does make me think that FM is a tough game to stream/video well. A lot of people focus on winning matches and showing match highlights, which is somewhat sensible, there's some visual action and heart-in-mouths moments. But the actual game of FM is mostly outside that area. It's talking yourself over decisions that could have a big effect, it's trawling through potential signings, it's wondering why your decent stats striker is missing everything, and these things don't make for an interesting stream unless you're able to put into real terms what you're going through.

On the FM21 side, it seems to be making things a little better in areas I like and previously felt were lacking, especially with bad staff and in crappier leagues. Better usage of analysis, changes to scouting, being able to read press conferences a little more easily (with more feedback on what you do,) and streamlining the mere possibility of someone playing for your lovely club. They might be small changes, they might be big changes that involve a lot of work under the surface, I don't know, but that's what FM releases are these days. There rarely seems to be a headline change that "revolutionises" the game.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Separate to my last my post, how many of you play with Attribute Masking on? Forcing you to do actual scouting before you sign a player unknown to you? Ever since I started reading the LLM forums a decade+ ago I've done it that way. It just seems more reasonable that I won't have a clue about most of the players (although that doesn't reflect the top leagues where there's far more media presence and cultural awareness around players, but I usually start low down.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've always played with masking for precisely that reason - it just seemed more reasonable to me, even though I don't usually start in lower leagues (well unless MLS counts har har).

But last year I took it to a frankly insane level by following the discussion in this thread and editing the skin (I did such an edit to Teal Twenty but I imagine you could do it to any skin in a similar way) to remove attributes entirely from UI and replacing them with coloured boxes, so you can tell who's good at something (after having scouted them, because of masking) but if you're trying to pick between two players where one has a 15 and one has a 17 in whatever skill, you're going to have to do some comparison through stats or analysis or watching their games or reading their scouting reports instead of just clicking a sorting column.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 8, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I don't bother with it. Trying to work out what the attributes actually do is hard enough without having to scout them first.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Turning masking off is cheating.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I turned numerical attributes off because I feel like it encourages you to get more attached to your players who generally perform well rather than dumping your veteran centre back with 15 positioning for a replacement with 16.

Alternatively just turn attributes off altogether and pick your team based solely off stats and performance in training. Sign £40m strikers with 9 finishing because they inexplicably scored 20 goals last season and then tear your hair out just like a real manager

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the sex ghost posted:

I turned numerical attributes off because I feel like it encourages you to get more attached to your players who generally perform well rather than dumping your veteran centre back with 15 positioning for a replacement with 16.

Alternatively just turn attributes off altogether and pick your team based solely off stats and performance in training. Sign £40m strikers with 9 finishing because they inexplicably scored 20 goals last season and then tear your hair out just like a real manager

The issue with that is training performance ratings are based on development rate not how good/sharp they look. Young kids with loads of potential remaining train "well" in FM, but the rear end in a top hat at his peak getting a 7.00 every week/month in training is the better player on matchday.

Managers irl don't pick their teams based on stats and spreadsheets (except for Big Sam), visible attributes fill the gaps in what a working manager who is not in Dubai all week would be able to observe and know about players.

It's never worth dropping a player to make a 1pt attribute gain (unless it's pace). Team cohesion, tactical familiarity etc. are way more impactful than that. Dump the veteran when his legs fall off at 31.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I always sort of thought of it like the attributes are what you see in training every day, which is why you can be pretty certain about them for your own players. But we've all had those players with great attributes who were dogshit in matches, and players with mediocre attributes who outperformed everybody else. So ideally you won't pick players just based on their attributes (training performances), you'll pick them based on how they actually perform on the pitch which is related but doesn't map onto attributes perfectly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Beta is out.

Match engine is waaaaaay better this year. Like, it's actually good and fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sassassin posted:

Beta is out.

They've made it so players aren't locked into their first decision and can reevaluate based on changing circumstances. Shocking how that changes things

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sassassin posted:

Beta is out.

Can you counter attack this year or is it still the high press/line/get stuck in meta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

eleven extra elephants posted:

Can you counter attack this year or is it still the high press/line/get stuck in meta

One on ones are if anything a little too effective so yeah, countering is viable.