Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

quote:

Is that thing...untextured??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cythereal posted:

They think that this is a stable time loop, or at least that's what they're telling me. That we've always been the Others and nothing changed on this mission. That we merely played things out as they had always played out.

I am not convinced.

Well, it might be easy to tell. Maybe something big might change, like instead of Hobus detonating in a pseudo-accidental manner, the Iconians might just directly explode the Romulan sun. But that seems pretty unlikely.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Disproportionation posted:

Is that thing...untextured??
For the tenth anniversary back in January they had a special two-part mission that took place in Excaliban recreations of various missions from the game, including the past Iconia parts of "Midnight". In the process of copying/recreating those locations for the new mission Cryptic ended up breaking some textures in the original "Midnight", and they haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Now imagine doing the mission three times over because it gives pretty good rewards. And imagine that for most of the missions going forward.

I also really enjoyed the ending when I played though, felt very appropriate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
While I've had quibbles with the Iconian War, count me as another person who really liked how things ended. To me, it's one of the most Trek moments in this game: ending a war two hundred thousand years in the making not with a gunfight or a boss battle, but with an act of compassion and grace.

Needless to say, this mission is very divisive with STO's fanbase, many of whom feel that this ending was cheap and unearned, and that the Iconians got off scot-free for what they've done. T'Ket escaping to be a loose plot thread (and the developers admitting that it was mainly so you could still run the Iconian task forces even after the war supposedly ending, when they'd never tried to justify any other task forces like that) was another sticking point.

As it is, I think it's time to take a break from the main storylines in Star Trek Online and instead cover some of the more involved task force operations this game has to offer.

I will be looking to run the task force operations Infected: The Conduit and Infected: Manus this weekend, hopefully with goons, tentatively at 9:00 PM EST on Saturday, November 14. Please be in the goon chat channel TheNextGooneration in-game and be flying (and wearing) something lore-appropriate. Ping me via PM or on the LP discord if you have any questions.

(also, don't forget your frequency remodulators!)

The war is over. Diplomats are still hammering out the details of what they're already calling the Treaty of Iconia, but L'Miren and most of the surviving Iconians have withdrawn to Iconia itself, which the Khitomer Alliance has agreed to recognize as a demilitarized zone under Iconian sovereignty with the surrounding system and the Herald Sphere. The Solanae and Jenolan spheres, L'Miren has agreed belong to the Alliance. Long-range sensors indicate that the Iconians are starting work on terraforming Iconia. With the World's Heart, there is hope that one day the Iconia I saw will be restored.

Chancellor J'mpok, President Okeg, and Proconsul D'Tan have draped me in glory and awards... and ordered my silence. A sanitized version of events is being prepared for galactic publishing, and I've already had to set up a new email filter to silence would-be biographers looking to chronicle the woman who ended the Iconian War. I do not believe there is any glory in what I have done, and I am reluctant to call my actions honorable. Will the countless victims of the Iconians sleep soundly with how things have ended? That is beyond my ability to say.

And J'mpok... has chosen to keep his distance. I've never been popular with the High Command, and now... I don't think the entrenched power structures of the Empire have any idea what to do about me now. I don't have any idea what to do about me now. We've all been given leave 'until the Empire next calls upon you.'

I'm still trying to decide what to do, myself. Perhaps visit my family again, go hiking to Lake Lusor and the Kri'stak Volcano. Aoede has offered to come with me. A date. An affirmation of life, I thought the other day. Perhaps that is what is in order. And perhaps a visit to Risa, to see her world, if things work out. I do like her, she's never been afraid of me or hesitant to speak her mind. I... appreciate that.

For us, and for the Iconians, life will go on. There will be a tomorrow. There will be new challenges to be sure, I doubt the Iconian War is the last crisis this galaxy has seen in my lifetime, but those challenges can wait. For now, that all can wait.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Count me as one of the players that liked the way it ended.
The whole Iconian arc had some issues with how it was written, and they've been covered in this thread before, but overall it was a good culmination of all the work they put in before to get there and given Star Trek tendency to abuse the reset button, I have to appreciate how the arc ends without using it.
Sure, gameplay-wise we don't really see any consequences of the war, but that was the case with prior events too and at least the attempt was made story-wise.
I also have to appreciate the approach to time travel and how the timeship was built very much as an in-universe reset button and how using it almost always had catastrophic side effects, so that this ending is a bit of a subversion of expectations that does fit with the overall ideals of Star Trek, or as Cyth put it just above me:

Cythereal posted:

To me, it's one of the most Trek moments in this game: ending a war two hundred thousand years in the making not with a gunfight or a boss battle, but with an act of compassion and grace.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm kind of divided on the approach because it is a little sudden. The entire arc is "the Iconians are relentless and terrifying foes" and then you're in the past and it's "hey welcome to Ur-Utopia how are you fellow sapients" and it does feel undeserved. It's a huge narrative whiplash that should make a player go "oh, now I'm supposed to empathize with these guys you've portrayed as monomaniacal genociders?"

But of course, acts of grace and forgiveness are often undeserved. If you can give up that grudge and transcend your own hatred, no matter how justified it is (in fact or feeling) perhaps that is the only way to get the peace you need. Wars are fought with arms, but peace is won with understanding. At least, that's well within the Star Trek ethos of pacifism.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Having not played this content myself, I ended up dropping the game when Delta Rising came out and forced me to do some patrols between story missions, I rather liked the ending and it felt way more like Trek than I was expecting. Honestly I was expecting Cryptic to go ahead with some kind of super-weapon or something if the time bullshit didn't work out. I'm presently surprised with it.

I mean it was clumsy, but it's Cryptic.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The world heart looks like a rather clunky Macguffin to just end the war in a heartbeat, but it was decent as MMO finales go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ship voting!

While the next several updates will hopefully be multiplayer task forces, there will be more main story arcs to come and I think T'Kara deserves a break. To that end, a new Starfleet ship will enter the fray - but which? Every ship up for voting, including the last one, is a canon Starfleet ship from the shows and movies.

Voting will be open for at least a couple of weeks.

A: Buran class

A 25th century update of a failed 23rd century design, the Buran is Starfleet's latest pocket dreadnought.

B: Excelsior class

Considered a dreadnought when first launched, the Excelsior class has aged into one of Starfleet's most reliable workhorse cruisers.

C: Ambassador class

This ill-starred class is associated more with misfortune and sacrifice than with glory.

D: Galaxy class

An objectively hideous icon is still an icon.

E: Sovereign class

A very good looking ship that has mostly appeared in very bad movies.

F: Mystery Box

What could possibly go wrong?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
What the hey, I'll through a vote out for C. I'm pretty sure it's the only ship that is solely available as a mission reward, correct?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Correct, but I have the t6 z-store versions of all these ships (not the legendary versions, just the regular tier 6 z-store variants).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
B I love the Excelsior.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
B). Excelsior!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

F

Veotax
May 16, 2006

B. Always had a soft spot for the Excelsior

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
B. As tempting as the mystery box is, gotta go with the Excelsior.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
B but only if we know when the deflector dish is getting installed

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 11, 2020

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I was going to vote E because the Sovereign is a really sleek design, but I'll actually toss a vote for F to see what terror Cyth is going to unleash upon us :v:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

F WE (I) DEMAND MYSTERY BOX!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
NCC-1701E for Sovereign. (I appreciate how you got B-E to line up with their respective Enterprises)

But I would not be upset if F won.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I have to vote B. The Excelsior is absolutely beautiful and I still think it’s criminal nobody has ever set a show on one.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My vote's for the NCC-1701-E, but even though the Sovereign is an amazing ship, I know the Excelsior's gonna (deservedly) win.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

F. It's a mystery box! Gotta vote for the mystery box. It could even be a starship!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I like the burAn

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
If one of your choices is an Excelsior, you don’t have a choice. B

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

As much as I like the Ambassador in game, my vote goes to B, the Excelsior.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Gotta be the Galaxy-class NCC-1701-D for me.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mystery Box Funtimes!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Love how the Sovereign looks too much to pass up E.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

B

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
...I’ve just realised that Cyth’s voting letters are almost all Enterprise registration letters. But we’ve already seen an Odyssey variant. So what could F be?

My bet is the worst ship in the game, the utterly abysmal Aquarius Raider. That’s right, they made the detachable butt from the Odyssey an actual flyable ship.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I vote E, I've always loved the Sovereign's look.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Give me the Not-Enterprise-E

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Voting B

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

No voting twice. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm here for E.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
I suppose I will press F to pay respects.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Going for B, it's a tough choice since I love pretty much all the canon Enterprise designs, but the Excelsior deserves some love here and for the brief time I played I used the Sovereign anyway so be nice to see an alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Reminder: I will be looking to run the task force operations Infected: The Conduit and Infected: Manus tomorrow, hopefully with goons, tentatively at 9:00 PM EST on Saturday, November 14. Please be in the goon chat channel TheNextGooneration in-game and be flying (and wearing) something lore-appropriate. Ping me via PM or on the LP discord if you have any questions.