Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Is there a good fix for conditions that people mostly agree on? Reading the thread, I’m tempted to apply them more as emotional conditions, like spooked. Enraged, humiliated, overwhelmed, envious, et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I like them in Mage as side effects from spells, so that you can get Beats from those and also so that weird magical mishaps can have lasting weird effects. This is pretty ad hoc, and quite a few conditions got handed out in my long game that sort of faded out instead of being resolved, which was fine.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
So, as you can probably tell, the Conditions ephemeral entities impose were designed alongside the rest of the Conditions systems, and do not mesh especially well. They fall into the great flaw of the Storytelling system of it not consciously knowing if Storyteller characters follow all the rules players' characters do.

I cop to the flowchart, and how complicated it is. In my defense, in an *individual case* it's fine - if your Hunter has a friend whose house is haunted, she knows that if she finds the ghost's bones and burns them, (destroying the anchor that the fetter is built on) it'll banish it. Any given entity will only use one to three of the boxes.

But if you mush all the powers for ghosts and spirits and angels and goetia together, it looks like... That.

What that system needs is a half dozen examples.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I always knew Wraith was the best White Wolf game, and I am very glad you have provided incontrovertible proof.

What is the best option for running Wraith nowadays? It was always the most fascinating setting of the lot, but is W20 the only updated version of it? Please tell me there is a CoD translation because I really can't go back to the old world of darkness system.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Wraith 20th is really a wonderful book. Like all the 20th anniversary books it is mostly just a clean up and collection, but it has some really nice touches. If you don't want to go back to the old White Wolf system you are pretty much out of luck but I would strongly recommend Wr20 just as a cool book to read if you are interested in Wraith.

One of the things I like the most is them fleshing out all the Arcanoi. Locking one set of powers behind Guild membership as their trade secrets makes a ton of sense and it really gives you an incentive to actually engage with politics and the setting in ways you didn't always used to. Extra cool is that each Guild has a buddy Guild that you also get the secrets from at a few levels lower.

I was just extremely pleased that my Proctor PC finally had more powers available to learn, and if I was actually influential in the Guild I could also learns secret tricks from the Alchemists and Chanteurs too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Conditions seem like they would work really well in a computer version of the games, the machine does all the bookkeeping and you can just read tooltips to remind you what things do until you memorize them.

Object Oriented Story Telling

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Wraith 20th is really a wonderful book. Like all the 20th anniversary books it is mostly just a clean up and collection, but it has some really nice touches. If you don't want to go back to the old White Wolf system you are pretty much out of luck but I would strongly recommend Wr20 just as a cool book to read if you are interested in Wraith.

One of the things I like the most is them fleshing out all the Arcanoi. Locking one set of powers behind Guild membership as their trade secrets makes a ton of sense and it really gives you an incentive to actually engage with politics and the setting in ways you didn't always used to. Extra cool is that each Guild has a buddy Guild that you also get the secrets from at a few levels lower.

I was just extremely pleased that my Proctor PC finally had more powers available to learn, and if I was actually influential in the Guild I could also learns secret tricks from the Alchemists and Chanteurs too.

The recommendation I have for Wraith is to either bite the bullet and use Wraith 20, which is as good as it'll get within a crunchy system, or to just straight up run it as a custom Fate game. Wraith's themes lend themselves pretty well to Fate from my experience, especially the ever-shifting nature of the underworld, and the way your strengths can be tagged as a weakness is both mechanically and thematically appropriate for Shadowguides.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Conditions seem like they would work really well in a computer version of the games, the machine does all the bookkeeping and you can just read tooltips to remind you what things do until you memorize them.

Congrats you’ve figured out the Crusader Kings temporary trait system

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZearothK posted:

What is the best option for running Wraith nowadays? It was always the most fascinating setting of the lot, but is W20 the only updated version of it? Please tell me there is a CoD translation because I really can't go back to the old world of darkness system.
I've been playing in a Dark Ages V20 game with the houserule that 1s don't eat successes (a botch is still "no successes and any 1s") and the system is not nearly as brain-stabbingly bad. There's still plenty that's mildly annoying, but it's mostly in the scattershot editing rather than the mechanics themselves.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Wouldn't it be cool if the ip was owned by a video game company?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Wouldn't it be cool if the ip was owned by a video game company?
That would be great, especially if it were the company that owns Crusader Kings.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i know it'd be expensive to work out but, if we're buying physical books, there's no reason it shouldn't have index cards for conditions and powers. Or give me a PDF sheet to print out on my own. The last time I ran a game i took screen caps of everything we'd need to reference and it made everything so much simpler.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i know it'd be expensive to work out but, if we're buying physical books, there's no reason it shouldn't have index cards for conditions and powers. Or give me a PDF sheet to print out on my own. The last time I ran a game i took screen caps of everything we'd need to reference and it made everything so much simpler.

They made cards for this already. You can buy them printed from drivethrurpg and they hold up well. We use them for quick reference at the table, but they only work if everyone can sort through to find what we need. So in the before-times. The blue book set was also very useful for quick reference.

In internet games, conditions are just one more thing to track and it’s inconvenient and less useful and very easy to forget (and I do it on purpose because we use group beats and don’t find that we’re missing anything important). I keep wanting to run Geist, but we’re just going to run Cyberpunk2.0.2.0. instead because you know what’s better than tracking conditions? Accounting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I still hate how almost 90% of Geist's abilities just say "Give you the X Condition with Y tokens on it" so you have to keep paging back and forth between the front and back of the book to see what your stuff does.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's extra sad because Geist 2e is a great game, and the Conditions thing is such a stumbling block.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So, as you can probably tell, the Conditions ephemeral entities impose were designed alongside the rest of the Conditions systems, and do not mesh especially well. They fall into the great flaw of the Storytelling system of it not consciously knowing if Storyteller characters follow all the rules players' characters do.

I cop to the flowchart, and how complicated it is. In my defense, in an *individual case* it's fine - if your Hunter has a friend whose house is haunted, she knows that if she finds the ghost's bones and burns them, (destroying the anchor that the fetter is built on) it'll banish it. Any given entity will only use one to three of the boxes.

But if you mush all the powers for ghosts and spirits and angels and goetia together, it looks like... That.

What that system needs is a half dozen examples.

What gets me is that that was still true about the ghost's bones in 1E. Like, Werewolf: the Forsaken's first printing did a fine job explaining what the difference was between a spirit that was invisibly tied to a tree and a spirit which had materialized in order to eat you was. There's very little actual new information encoded in the spirit manifestations conditions flowchart (and some of it I'd frankly do without, like the step in which an ephemeral being needs to throw one of its Influences at an object or place to render it "Open" - seems superfluous to regular story concerns).

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The structure of Influence Conditions seems to favor accessibility for supernatural powers like Mage spells (you can just say "this makes something Controlled") and PCs with familiar spirits above quick accessibility and intuitive understanding for Storyteller use in play. You can see that it's trying for an intuitive and useful idea ("ephemeral entities need a situation to be Adequately Spooky before they can manifest in proportion to how spooky it is"), but bogs it up with the CofD's tendency to describe everything in playable character terms. You get a lot of words about how a spirit needs to find a hot place and engage in an extended action to stoke associations of fire to build up this Condition to that Condition for X scenes without voicing the important unspoken caveat that the system almost always works best when the Storyteller ignores this level of detail and just eyeballs how spookily resonant the situation is and maybe throws some supernatural mood lighting around to set the stage.

Calling them Influence Conditions also rankles, because they're not Influences, only one of them is typically created by Influences, and they're not Conditions.

They're just presented to the reader very poorly.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I found a copy of the Kindred: The Embraced TV show and it is so, so bad. The worst part is that the entire soundtrack is listed from Interview With the Vampire and it is very distracting.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh yeah. It's the one thing in my list that just says 'hahah no'. I tracked down the GURPS supplements over it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I liked Kindred: The Embraced better when it was Blade: The Series.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Oh yeah. It's the one thing in my list that just says 'hahah no'. I tracked down the GURPS supplements over it.

God drat when I own something so dumb even Loomer says "Nah". :aaaaa:

At least the copy of the Book of Nod that came with it has a nice binding.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mulva posted:

Blade: The Series was great how dare you

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Some friends and I got very drunk and watched all of Kindred last year. It was an amazing experience, but not one I'd ever recommend to anyone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The only thing I remember about that show is the opening scene where they're chasing a guy and it's in the middle of an extremely sunny day, which killed any and all desire I had to watch the show at that time. Someone please summarize this show so I don't waste time and beer on hunting it down and watching it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

The only thing I remember about that show is the opening scene where they're chasing a guy and it's in the middle of an extremely sunny day, which killed any and all desire I had to watch the show at that time.

Loomer, how many Cainite daywalkers have you identified over the course of The Project, and what are the odds that counting Kindred: The Embraced would double that list or more

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I Am Just a Box posted:

Loomer, how many Cainite daywalkers have you identified over the course of The Project, and what are the odds that counting Kindred: The Embraced would double that list or more

Just one if memory serves (outside of a few special occurrences - the 'sprint as far as you can as a dog' guy who doesn't really count, etc), so 100%.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Is the one Jesus, or did Jesus burn in the sunlight like any other vampire?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Blade: The Series was a solid show and I dug Sticky Fingaz's Blade as much as Snipe's.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

The only thing I remember about that show is the opening scene where they're chasing a guy and it's in the middle of an extremely sunny day, which killed any and all desire I had to watch the show at that time. Someone please summarize this show so I don't waste time and beer on hunting it down and watching it.

shhh you're not supposed to notice that it's a really, really lovely day for night shot. Or sunrise I think? I watched the pilot and it is bad.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I Am Just a Box posted:

Is the one Jesus, or did Jesus burn in the sunlight like any other vampire?

Jesus was just a vampire. The story is actually a repudiation of Christianity because Vampire Jesus, as far as he's concerned, already has a religion, and it's Judaism.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

shhh you're not supposed to notice that it's a really, really lovely day for night shot. Or sunrise I think? I watched the pilot and it is bad.

I thought they had that "you can go in sunlight if you've fed recently" thing going on?

God, I hated that show. Hated it so much I have the box set.

Didn't they bring in an assamite towards the end of the season?

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I also remember a wonderful scene in Kindred where C. Thomas Howell falls asleep on the sofa, in front of an open window, while holding an oversized Bugsy Malone-esque 'phosphorus' gun?

And a vampire jumps through the window and just stands there in place, doing the menacing vampire hiss at him, but not actually attacking or even moving away from the window?

And then C. Thomas just sort of lazily wakes up, focuses, and then picks up the phosphorus gun and then shoots the vampire neatly back out of the window?

Great stuff.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Froghammer posted:

Blade: The Series was great how dare you

......?

Yes it was, that was the point.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kindred was the one where the Brujah were all jackboots about societal control and law and order and how everyone had to fit into and acknowledge a clear hierarchy, right?

I swear I saw a review of it on YouTube like six years ago by a WoD fan who basically just shrugged and said its bizarre misunderstanding of the source material wasn't even the worst thing in the show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the brujah were venture, and the gangrel were brujah and everyone could turn into wolves and all the nosferatu looked the same.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Yeah the brujah were venture, and the gangrel were brujah and everyone could turn into wolves and all the nosferatu looked the same.

MRH was a loving producer for the series is what baffles me the most. Like it was probably just a "We'll call you a producer but that has no actual power" kinda deal but seriously how do you manage to gently caress up a property like that in 96?

LOL executive produced by Aaron Spelling

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Also the Prince learned Protean from the Nosferatu for some reason.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like Kindred in spite of how stupid and weird it is. I guess it never bothered me much that the Brujah were kinda mobsters instead of punks and the like.

Actually I might re-watch that this week.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I only ever watched the first one or two episodes, but the only thing I remember literally decades later is a whole-rear end scene of the protagonist being chased around by a wolf. At the end when the wolf catches him it turns into a vampire and says something like "Stop following us."

An entire chase scene where the pursuer's message was "don't follow me."

Obviously it makes enough sense in context. But it was just so loving goofy.

The whole thing is like $30 on Amazon. Might need to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Speaking of giving money to Jeff Bezos:

Please excuse the spam~

:siren: :tfrxmas: :siren:

TG Secret Santa is Back Again