Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Some Guy TT posted:

This source also claims that Biden wants to end the forever war in Afghanistan which seems at odds with the messaging we've been getting over the last few months about how Trump isn't doing anything about the Russians giving bounty money to the Taliban.

Um.... are you trying to say that this website is inaccurate? It's just aggregating links to what Biden has actually said. And... you know that the whole Russian bounty Taliban thing still isn't a confirmed thing, right (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-commander-intel-still-hasn-t-established-russia-paid-n1240020)?

As far as Biden ending the "forever wars", I'm skeptical about that part because it's really complex (https://time.com/5890577/biden-middle-east-special-operations-forces/ for the latest on that). The arms dealing to Saudi Arabia is the part I was talking about, which Biden has continued to re-affirm his position on even after the primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Anything in Biden’s planned foreign policy towards Central and South America to be excited about?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anything in Biden’s planned foreign policy towards Central and South America to be excited about?

How hype for coups are you?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

CocoaNuts posted:

This must be intended as:

No, in real life I expect higher order mamallian life to be all but completely extinct by the end of this century.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Crumbskull posted:

No, in real life I expect higher order mamallian life to be all but completely extinct by the end of this century.

Buddy, if we're to that point then literally nothing can save us and nothing matters. Make peace with it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

Buddy, if we're to that point then literally nothing can save us and nothing matters. Make peace with it.

Now you're C-SPAMming!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crumbskull posted:

An interesting hypothesis, but this probably isn't the thread for it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Amy Klobuchar considered for Biden Cabinet posts including attorney general and Agriculture secretary
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/biden-cabinet-amy-klobuchar-considered-for-attorney-general-usda-chief.html

Broke: we can't make Klob the VP because she let killer cops go!
Woke: we can make Klob the AG because she let killer cops go!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am dreading the next four years, because what follows won't be pleasant for anyone after one term of very little radicalization, nothing being accomplished, and people being generally out to lunch.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

The Oldest Man posted:

Broke: we can't make Klob the VP because she let killer cops go!
Woke: we can make Klob the AG because she let killer cops go!

I strongly doubt they'll do that for the reasons you mention here, particularly since Jones is the obvious choice. But still, yuck. At this point, if people want to argue that Biden will make police reform a priority, the burden of proof is on them. (I say that without my IK hat on; that's just my personal belief as a poster)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

2, and that's probably too high.

Crumbskull posted:

I'm decided that near term human extinction has been garaunteed op.

Nah, just modern civilization's collapse. The species survived Toba and it'll survive this. Just not civilization.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

I strongly doubt they'll do that for the reasons you mention here, particularly since Jones is the obvious choice. But still, yuck. At this point, if people want to argue that Biden will make police reform a priority, the burden of proof is on them. (I say that without my IK hat on; that's just my personal belief as a poster)

I've got a dollar on Klob because the "she was unfairly criticized for letting killer cops go BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN" narrative on blue MAGA twitter was really hot for a while, she's done no worse than Kamala, and making her AG would be a solid first step in following the Kasich Plan For Democrats, but even vetting her is a sign that they don't take stopping cop murder as a priority in any way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
0. Nothing will fundamentally change.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

The Oldest Man posted:

I've got a dollar on Klob because the "she was unfairly criticized for letting killer cops go BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN" narrative on blue MAGA twitter was really hot for a while, she's done no worse than Kamala, and making her AG would be a solid first step in following the Kasich Plan For Democrats, but even vetting her is a sign that they don't take stopping cop murder as a priority in any way.

In addition to this, I'm assuming her and Buttigieg were guaranteed cabinet positions to drop out and endorse Biden before Super Tuesday. Honestly, Klobuchar was probably told she would get the VP spot, but then after the George Floyd riots they probably decided they need a VP candidate who isn't white.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I liken it to getting offered tickets to a band that I know if famous, but can't remember any of their songs off the top of my head.

I'll take them, but you may need to remind me to put it on my calendar.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/world/americas/joe-biden-latin-america-policy.html

$4 billion aid package, some climate change policy, commiting to negotiate with Maduro, return to at least Obama policy on Cuba.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Byzantine posted:

0. Nothing will fundamentally change.

Would you delve into that a bit? I know that's a thing he said verbatim, and we're probably in complete agreement, but still, I'd like to know which things you think are important that won't fundamentally change.

The Oldest Man posted:

I wonder if Klob would be in a better position for AG if she had ducked out of the race earlier, like Harris did. I know the news about her not prosecuting killer cops hit after she had ended her campaign, but it was close enough to where she was still somewhat in the spotlight. If she had ducked out earlier, I wonder if that news wouldn't have hit her as hard.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

How hype for coups are you?

Hoo boy, given Harris' ties to Silicon Valley and Elon Musk outright admitting that Big Tech loves its coups...yeah, the next four years are gonna suck for Latin America. I'm just glad MAS retook power before our own election.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 10, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Joe is on the telebishun right now talking about Americans needing immediate relief from the "economic crisis."

My number just went up .25, so 5.25.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Klob and Buttigieg will both get positions, that was the deal.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Harold Fjord posted:

Klob and Buttigieg will both get positions, that was the deal.
I don't get going from Senator to Secretary being seen as a promotion. Seems like a sidegrade to me.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Cicero posted:

I don't get going from Senator to Secretary being seen as a promotion. Seems like a sidegrade to me.

As I stated above, IMO, it's not unreasonable to think Klobuchar was originally promised the VP spot. The George Floyd riots probably changed who they picked for VP. At a minimum, it definitely changed the rumored shortlists.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Hoo boy, given Harris' ties to Silicon Valley and Elon Musk outright admitting that Big Tech loves its coups...yeah, the next four years are gonna suck for Latin America. I'm just glad MAS retook power before our own election.

I honestly don't give enough credit to this particular gremlin - it's so easy to lose focus and tunnel-vision into the Kopmala bit that I forget it's far from the only skeleton in her closet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I honestly don't give enough credit to this particular gremlin - it's so easy to lose focus and tunnel-vision into the Kopmala bit that I forget it's far from the only skeleton in her closet.

Yeah, and given that Prop 22 just passed in her (and my!) state, backed to the hilt by Big Tech, I'm...not optimistic about what that portends for replicating that horrific law throughout the country.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Yeah, and given that Prop 22 just passed in her (and my!) state, backed to the hilt by Big Tech, I'm...not optimistic about what that portends for replicating that horrific law throughout the country.

I saw somewhere this morning, maybe in the capitalism thread, there's a group already trying to push prop 22 in...MN I think?

Horrifying, and I'm just waiting to start seeing the relevant ads here in Florida for its eventual attempt at it.

Which will succeed by an absolute landslide, because loving Florida. gently caress.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cicero posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that just because they're thinking of someone for a position and vetting them for it doesn't mean they'll take it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cicero posted:

Clinton left the Senate and joined Obama's cabinet specifically to set up her future run. You can make a lot more news as the lone voice in an important cabinet post than you can as 1 of 100 senators. And if the Senate is going to be held by the GOP then being a Dem Senator is arguably pointless anyways.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I saw somewhere this morning, maybe in the capitalism thread, there's a group already trying to push prop 22 in...MN I think?

Horrifying, and I'm just waiting to start seeing the relevant ads here in Florida for its eventual attempt at it.

Which will succeed by an absolute landslide, because loving Florida. gently caress.

I saw an ad for such an effort in IL, unsure if that's what you're thinking of

of course we can only expect it to be pushed nationwide, so the distinction of whether it was IL or MN is academic at most

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

I saw an ad for such an effort in IL, unsure if that's what you're thinking of

of course we can only expect it to be pushed nationwide, so the distinction of whether it was IL or MN is academic at most

yup, it was IL, and, yup.

ah well. party on, garth.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

420 :D

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We got names ya'll https://buildbackbetter.com/the-transition/agency-review-teams/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

A number of silicon valley execs and people from the Obama/Biden administration, neither of which are surprising. I haven't looked too in depth, but one of the names that popped out at me under Department of State transition team was Tom Sullivan, who according to Linked In is the Director International Tax Planning at Amazon.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 10, 2020

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Council of Economic Advisers
Name: Martha Gimbel, Team Lead
Most Recent Employment: Schmidt Futures
Source of Funding: Volunteer

Great.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Majorian posted:

Funny you should mention that!

https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/1326270596670386176?s=20

Prop 22s all around!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Funny you should mention that!
Prop 22s all around!

We want our unions* to be stronger than ever! Build back better!

*Offer not valid if under the age of 40

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

doesn't Harris have a sister in law or cousin or something literally on Uber's board who pushed for 22 to begin with?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

doesn't Harris have a sister in law or cousin or something literally on Uber's board who pushed for 22 to begin with?

Yes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

And a brother who represents them against labor suits!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

brother-in-law tony west is uber's general counsel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_West_(attorney)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not excited to have a Biden presidency. I'm excited not to have a trump presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

You know who seems to be incredibly excited?

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1325473234590990337

Harris stans who hate trans women! Gee, weird how they feel such kinship with her, haven't they heard the campaign said 'trans rights' once?

So yea I'm about like, fuckin I dunno, a 2? Between poo poo like this and slugs like Clyburn spending the sunday punching left it's crystal clear what the agenda is.

Yeah, I really hope we don't end up seeing British TERFery getting imported to this side of the Atlantic under the guise of Harris's yaaaas kween style "feminism."

Oh, and it's a 3 for me, between having to worry about extended family in the Middle East and friends in Latin America getting domed by US foreign policy and also the threats faced by fellow trans people regardless of whether Trump or Biden happen to be in the White House.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 11, 2020