Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't think that I've ever had a mechancial keyboard, but I haven't missed it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that I've ever had a mechancial keyboard, but I haven't missed it either.

Once you get one it's impossible to go back. The lovely plastic membrane ones nowadays are so gummy typing on one feels like running in jello.

Also ball mice sucked but the balls itself we're rad as hell to whip at your friends. Heavy enough you could get a nice throw, not as dangerous as using a steel ball bearing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Witcher 3 had a good thing going with its fast-regenerating stamina bar that lets you cast spells on demand, and easy to replenish potion system. A thing I even like about it is what's actually gating you is fitting potions inside your stomach, not the act of consuming it.

Now if only Witcher 3's elaborate and overly complicated inventory system could be tidied up. It kind of slows down the gameplay. Heck, if anything, the game encourages you to kill the pace and down a half dozen potions and apply oils in the middle of combat, if only there were a way to quickly consume a set of them, while at the same time making them impactful enough to want to use and cheap enough to try to always have active.

Inventory management is one of the most unfun things in games. Especially weight management - first thing I mod out of any game I can since rarely does it choose me to make choices but merely adds tedium where I will need to spend 10 minutes lugging poo poo back and forth. See also item decay outside of items that are very fragile.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd love to get one, but they're so loud. A guy I used to work with had one and you could tell when he was pissed off because he typed like the keyboard owed him money

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Inventory management is one of the most unfun things in games. Especially weight management - first thing I mod out of any game I can since rarely does it choose me to make choices but merely adds tedium where I will need to spend 10 minutes lugging poo poo back and forth. See also item decay outside of items that are very fragile.

I legitimately like inventory management, weight, and item decay. I love the feeling of having to take the time to prepare for every encounter, and the panic of a weapon breaking at a crucial time and having to switch to something subotimal. gently caress the witchers inventory though, for everything CDPR did right they never managed to make a good inventory or good menus or good skill trees or anything relating to the Game part of RPG.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'd love to get one, but they're so loud. A guy I used to work with had one and you could tell when he was pissed off because he typed like the keyboard owed him money

They do make keyboards with silent switches now. You'll probably be paying premium though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Neurosis posted:

I like the loadout restriction of inventories but not the loot restriction. Limiting what I can take into a mission forces me into making (potentially) interesting choices. Limiting what I can loot just forces me to run the calculation on what is most generically valuable. Which is actually kinda fun for a very brief window, like if a game gave you a single mission where your job is to maximize the value you take out of it. Like one of those games where a person is given a shopping trolley in a supermarket and tasked with getting as much as they can into the trolley in a set time. But beyond one mission's worth of doing it, it becomes tedious so fast.

Also I never knew what a mechanical keyboard was because my previous keyboard lasted forever. When I finally needed a new one they had apparently gone out and then back into fashion so when I was investigating it was just "oh, so... a keyboard?"

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 11, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just got a new screen for the PC I'm building, so obviously the first thing I did is hooked it up to my old laptop and installed Deus Ex. I'm giving GMDX a go this time, I notice the 'official' version is v9 but there's a fan made v10. Does anyone have any opinions on one over the other?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hi, yes. check out some posts i made when i was playing gmdx 9 and 10

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i;ve given it a shot

gmdx v9 had some game-breaking exploits in it (e.g., fully upgraded nano sword opens all locks), which are reverted in gmdx v10. v10 is much more of a "vanilla+" experience than gmdx v9, so i recommend v10 to players looking for that

v10 reverts a bunch of fun stuff in v9 (the OP laser mod, damage mods, opening locks with a huge sword). it also takes stuff from v9 that was arguably not so fun (stamina bar) and makes it optional

the change list for v10 is super long. it's clear that a lot of work was put into this, and many opinionated decisions were made. https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update/news/gmdx-v10-community-update-release-changelog

overall, i like it, and it has been very cool to play these mods which introduce little variations on the original

in GMDX the laser stays put in the middle of the screen, making it easy to use. in vanilla it would dance around inside the target reticule, so if you are untrained, it doesn't help as much as it does in GMDX v9

in GMDX v10, they keep the laser in the middle, but an untrained JC can still flub the trigger pull and miss shots even if the player's aim is good

i dont think the nano sword could break down as many doors in vanilla, but i could be wrong

overall i thought that v9 was more fun, but also more broken (gameplay exploits). i thought v10 was more polished and well thought out

i see that v10 is still getting updates as of September of this year

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gaius Marius posted:

I legitimately like inventory management, weight, and item decay. I love the feeling of having to take the time to prepare for every encounter, and the panic of a weapon breaking at a crucial time and having to switch to something subotimal.
I like this in theory but feel like only a few games actually do it right and give you those benefits. System Shock 2 in particular sticks out, where I really enjoyed the tense feeling of having to hoard ammo and choose shots really carefully and then worrying I might not survive through the next encounter. I wonder if it's a mechanic that works best in a survival-horror type game when the player is usually weaker than most enemies?

edit: it also combos really well with ironman-type gameplay because if you can't reload the incentive to use a weak melee weapon with infinite ammo goes way way down since it's likely to get you killed eventually

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've never tried GMDX but v9 sounds fun as hell. I hate the nerfed nanosword in shifter but I do like the other changes over vanilla so it's usually mandatory unless I'm trying to break it naturally.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GMDX feels like its tuned for the kind of person that hoards their items throughout the game. That kind of person is me so I loved it. (By that I mean its kinda hard, but in a good way)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Revision also has a shitload of achievements ("chievos" or did we leave that in the early 2000's?) now, so it's probably worth replaying.

TNM was apparently updated recently. Any impressions?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That’s not how you spell cheevos

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started playing Revision after having only played vanilla many years ago. Made the mistake of trying to use the napalm flamethrower to "resolve" the hostage crisis in the subway. What a beautiful disaster. Also I like how pissed everyone gets at you for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/lowpolyanimals/status/1331326729852395520

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Your ratpointment to FEMA should be finalised within the week. I've already discussed the ratter with the senator.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always feel super bad when I step on the rats :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always feel super bad when I step on the rats :(

This but with the little roombas

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

This but with the little roombas

this again, but accidentally stepped on a kitty in paris

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Monster!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

You've got 10 seconds to get out of here before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

deus ex theme song intensifies

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Electronic old rats running the world.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ratatouille but it's Remy riding on JC Denton's head, pulling at his hairs to make him prod with the prod and kramer into the womens' restroom.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Ratatouille but it's Remy riding on JC Denton's head, pulling at his hairs to make him prod with the prod and kramer into the womens' restroom.

Never making him make the most silent takedown, though.

I literally only took the GEP Gun because Computer Gaming World pointed out you could get the crossbow and the sniper rifle in the first level and the GEP didn’t show up again til the airport when you went for Lebedev, which is one of the bigger failures of the Liberty island design

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
caught this drat plague myself

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

El_Elegante posted:

caught this drat plague myself

:captainpop:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

My country tis of thee... cough, cough, wheeze

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Number one: rat's terror
Number two: rat's terror

e.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 27, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

or better than kings

rats

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"I'm more worried about Savage"
"URATCO?"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ratlander woman

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What a ratten way to die.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

do you have a single ract to rack rat up

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Ratputan Machine.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Rateric always more rateric

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the greatest Ratocracy the world has ever known.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Jock: Oh my God JC! A RAT!
JC: A rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

number one: rats terror
number two: rats terror