Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cartilage Head is about the inevitability of death and Roast Beef's special connection with nihilism as contrasted to Ray's jolly denial of consequences. I always thought that worked pretty well, it speaks to some of Achewood's core subtext.

Like one of the best lines in the whole strip theme-wise is, "You even think for a minute there's some better way to play it?", and that's not about marriage being an unalloyed good thing, it's Ray saying that marriage is one of few acceptable pathways to the grave. Beef focuses on the grave, Ray focuses on the diversion of the journey. They are both aware that they will one day die. Cartilage Head just simmers up that subtext and makes them sit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wondering this too, the Cartilage Head and Loomis Edison stuff, is there some genre of film or fiction or something that stuff is pulled from?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

No, not really. I mean, it has influences? It's gothic, it's surreal, it's magical realism, it's horror. But it's not a reference to anything if that's what you mean.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Lash of Thanatos arc isn't great in general, IMHO. The weakest parts of late Achewood are when Onstad tries to redo successful arcs of the past and ends up with diminished returns; Cartilage Head worked once, especially as an extended prank on Ray, but he loses his impact the second time around.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I've voiced this before, but it fits with the 'it was fine when it was that ONE time', theme in the last few posts, Mexican magical realism worked great as a one and done strip about Ray waiting for his one true love in a weird crossroads because he bought a made in Mexico cell phone, even the camera arc was great because it gave us more rock hard cat dick, but suddenly -everything- was made in Mexico. And then North Korean stuff 'worked' the same way.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like a lot of serialized media, Achewood has a fairly consistent problem with its endings. The beginnings and middles of arcs are usually very strong in terms of things like story/concept and set/setting but then they just kind of peter out.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

(from the OSHA thread)

OOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIT

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zefiel posted:

North Korean stuff 'worked' the same way.

now North Korean Magical Realism, THAT was a joke he made exactly once and it worked on that basis

I like the Loomis Edison stuff pretty well, though I usually intentionally forget that it starts with an explanation of how Mexican Magical Realism stuff is created, and just focus on the fun esoteric nonsense, the beer label with Todd on it, and the final downfall of Bensington Butters. (I think MMR started out as a reference to a certain style of literature but repeatedly calling it Mexican always left a weird taste in my mouth)

I similarly enjoy CH's weirdness, even if it makes Ray look like a little bitch moreso than most of the strip. I've always thought Beef's ending was kind of ambiguous in a good movie way - why did he go back to bed instead of letting the machine finish him off? maybe he's not even sure why, but it's definitely what he does

CH is allowed, by the strip, to be weird pretentious performance art, and is taken totally seriously and at face value by all observers. nothing makes fun of him in a way to suggest that he isn't what he's made out to be. that's very anomalous for achewood

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

I similarly enjoy CH's weirdness, even if it makes Ray look like a little bitch moreso than most of the strip.

Seriously when men see your car-parking technique they go "I bet I have no chance with a bitch as nasty as that" But when you get out of the car the men go huh I guess it was no bitch at all just a bitchy-bitch bitch man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zefiel posted:

(from the OSHA thread)

OOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIT

Seven seconds? drat, are you supposed to fling it at people?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

davidspackage posted:

Drop it from a plane, I'd guess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Drop it from a plane, I'd guess.

There's no way in hell that chocolate bar contains enough explosive to do anything useful if you're just hucking it out the window of a goddamn Piper Cub in the general direction of your target.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

I think MMR started out as a reference to a certain style of literature but repeatedly calling it Mexican always left a weird taste in my mouth

Magical realism as a genre is deeply tied to the Latin American literature scene, but yeah, every time a gadget doesn't work the way the characters expect it to, and they reveal that little "Hecho en Mexico" sticker, it comes off as unnecessarily mean-spirited

davidspackage posted:

Offer Hitler a chocolate

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cartilage heads supposed to be like klaus nomi + eraserhead or something. i dont care that much for it but i like how roast beef is all like "gently caress that guy" when he tries his routine on him

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still don’t know what the last page or two of the lash of Thanatos arc even was.

I was signing up for a HAZWOPER class online and it made me think of this strip. So good.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02102005

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still don’t know what the last page or two of the lash of Thanatos arc even was.

I was signing up for a HAZWOPER class online and it made me think of this strip. So good.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02102005

a couple days later is the strip with the panel of ray going "Oh neat! Fifty bucks!" and that is an important part of the achewood experience

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

a couple days later is the strip with the panel of ray going "Oh neat! Fifty bucks!" and that is an important part of the achewood experience

It's the end of The Second Party, which is the party I always think of as The Party despite it being The Second Party. Like, I don't remember much from the original party, but this one's got Ray throwing a party just because his toilet bowl is so blue. It's got Pat's loving carob prunes and Todd's shank artistry, it's got "Your activities are so poorly conveyed" and Teodor paying Little Nephew way too much for pot, it's got Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned. It is one of the months of the comic that is densest with Achewood.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phy posted:

It's got Pat's loving carob prunes and Todd's shank artistry, it's got "Your activities are so poorly conveyed" and Teodor paying Little Nephew way too much for pot, it's got Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned.

$150 still isn't terrible for a half o at all, assuming it's quality. Pretty sure LN circa 2005 isn't carrying any fire tree tho

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only fault with The Second Party is that Ultra Peanut is in it and like every time she shows up past her debut she drags the comic down due to being a terrible character

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

$150 still isn't terrible for a half o at all, assuming it's quality. Pretty sure LN circa 2005 isn't carrying any fire tree tho

That works out to two hundo in today's money, though. I could go down the road and get a half ounce of some truly insane stuff for less than that right now. Even less with my medical card! Though that's a weird confulence of price and "weed is legal now" that doesn't really map to 2005 ditch weed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That works out to two hundo in today's money, though. I could go down the road and get a half ounce of some truly insane stuff for less than that right now. Even less with my medical card! Though that's a weird confulence of price and "weed is legal now" that doesn't really map to 2005 ditch weed.

well yeah, if we're talking inflation. Any top shelf half in my neck of the woods sold recreationally is gonna be like $180-$190 including a heavy tax, substantially less medicinally.

and with dispensary prices like that the dealers don't really have an incentive to go below, like, $140 for the same quality-- and that's like "friend prices", more likely you're looking at $150-160 a half, and it's been that way since I became aware of those things in 2012.

I can't imagine that $150 for a half of "whatever weed you could get your hands on in 2005, but probably pretty solid since Achewood is supposed to be in California and medicinal's already been a thing"- quality is that far off the mark for the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LordSaturn posted:

I similarly enjoy CH's weirdness, even if it makes Ray look like a little bitch moreso than most of the strip. I've always thought Beef's ending was kind of ambiguous in a good movie way - why did he go back to bed instead of letting the machine finish him off? maybe he's not even sure why, but it's definitely what he does
In the end, he chose not to desert the dying man, the man being himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's no way in hell that chocolate bar contains enough explosive to do anything useful if you're just hucking it out the window of a goddamn Piper Cub in the general direction of your target.

The print doesn't have measurements! Each "square" of the chocolate bar could be 2 ft square, for all we know, and with an equivalent payload.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The print doesn't have measurements! Each "square" of the chocolate bar could be 2 ft square, for all we know, and with an equivalent payload.

It's one of those 5 or 10 pound novelty candy bars

You just casually show up with it to whatever place you intend to covertly destroy.

"I won a raffle!"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Phy posted:

It's the end of The Second Party, which is the party I always think of as The Party despite it being The Second Party. Like, I don't remember much from the original party, but this one's got Ray throwing a party just because his toilet bowl is so blue. It's got Pat's loving carob prunes and Todd's shank artistry, it's got "Your activities are so poorly conveyed" and Teodor paying Little Nephew way too much for pot, it's got Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned. It is one of the months of the comic that is densest with Achewood.

"bless the baby angel who is in charge of days like today" is an important part of my personal lexicon

I can see why people wouldn't be into it but I'm still a fan of that achewood test footage and a big part of it is the delivery of ray's lines during the toilet party sequence

now that I'm at it, also whenever I eat some I think "peanut butter has much tasty calories"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Lash of Thanatos arc may dribble to a stop but there are gems in there around the margins. The lesbian erotica contest is solid, especially Paul Williams or whatever busting on Teodor all "Buck up you worm, show me how to microwave a bowl of pizza or whatever."

And the scene where OnStar digitally determines that Ray and Beef are high on meth and automatically starts playing some Sirius Rawdog FM to calm them down is hilarious.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I still believe The Badass Games arc was trying to recapture the magic of the Great Outdoor Fight.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pentaro posted:

I still believe The Badass Games arc was trying to recapture the magic of the Great Outdoor Fight.

The Badass Games did give us "you folded with a focus and intensity normally seen only in successes," which is one of my favorite Achewoodisms, though, so it's good in my book.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Magnus Intactus

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Am I crazy, or was there originally an entire arc about how Corenelius got his bar?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Am I crazy, or was there originally an entire arc about how Corenelius got his bar?

No that happened. I don’t remember it, but I remember Ray and Beef talking about how the Dude was good for Connie, and how they were happy that he had a place to go and spend his time

It’s not the Badass Games tho. He got a (really dumb) bus for winning those

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Magnus Intactus

Miami's never-remarked-upon obsession with salad

Pakled posted:

The Badass Games did give us "you folded with a focus and intensity normally seen only in successes," which is one of my favorite Achewoodisms, though, so it's good in my book.

One of the few Achewood lines I've seen in the wild, ie shorn of any reference to Onstad and also not on this forum

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gnoman posted:

That was in the blogs. Starts here. May be some crossovers with other characters.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

He got a (really dumb) bus for winning those

Ray was like "THE MAN PREPARED REMARKS, HE IS SO OLD SCHOOL HE DRIVES A YELLOW BUS WITH GOTHIC ARCH WINDOWS" and then the very next panel of the very next comic, Ray has bought Connie that bus

Which, let's be real, is an extremely Ray thing to do

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drrockso20 posted:

The only fault with The Second Party is that Ultra Peanut is in it and like every time she shows up past her debut she drags the comic down due to being a terrible character

jeremy parish had a chinese g/f who went by "ultra potato" roughly contemporaneously with the ultra peanut strips and I always wonder if there's a connection

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pakled posted:

That was in the blogs. Starts here. May be some crossovers with other characters.

I'm remembering it in comic form. Probably a false memory or conflation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phy posted:

Magical realism as a genre is deeply tied to the Latin American literature scene, but yeah, every time a gadget doesn't work the way the characters expect it to, and they reveal that little "Hecho en Mexico" sticker, it comes off as unnecessarily mean-spirited

What about the stuff with the stones in this one:

Did he just come up with that or is it a reference to something?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Grenadine is everywhere in Mexico, Lonis. You just haven't looked in the right places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

:|