Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That comments section is a loving cesspit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
arrested_development_dead_pigeon.gif

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mors Rattus posted:

That comments section is a loving cesspit.

I clicked the link, and I read them. I knew what I was going to find there. I have only myself to blame.

e: some of them refer to themselves as "their wives' third child" or similar. God.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 10, 2020

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: some of them refer to themselves as "their wives' third child" or similar. God.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Zurui posted:

That they never really grew up and now some poor woman has to play mom for them.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It's honestly kind of entertaining seeing the handful commenters who are just openly saying "What? They removed the racism!? But that's specifically what I wanted!".

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zurui posted:

It means they consider their wife to be their mom/caretaker more than their romantic partner/best friend/life mate. It was a facebook joke a while back that was absolutely not originally a joke, just women complaining about their terrible husbands who never help around the house, which some also-terrible men found funny. Like "my wife has to take care of me as much as she takes care of our two kids."

It's a big red flag for someone to call themselves that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought it was some kind of sarcastic racism thing, this is dumber.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah but it's mostly complaining of how their money was spent and if they can get an older version and "SJW" and and and

God. I'm so tired of this.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/3014286

As the company continues to gradually fulfill the last few books of the Conan RPG kickstarter, they've typically released a draft PDF to backers only, and then completed edits and done the print run and final PDF. In this case it looks like they received a lot of comments about the Conan the Wanderer supplement, which includes in-depth coverage of Howard's "Mysterious Orient" sections of the Hyborian Age map. Basically when he wrote it in 1930s, the thing to do was just slap Not China down in the east, and cake it with asian stereotypes. By the time Oriental Adventures was being printed for D&D, people did or should have known better, but the tropes have persisted right into the present.

I think this willingness to hire a cultural consultant, listen to the fans, and make substantive changes is a good sign. A faithful adherence to the original Howard Conan stories (that is, rejecting the several authors' later contributions to the lore that are mostly inferior as literary works) has been a foundational promise of Modiphius' from the outset, so that's what that bit about not editing Howard's actual prose is about - but the company just includes quotes from Conan stories throughout, and can be selective about which quotes to include or not include, so I think that's likely the thing in this case too. They also did not want to make significant edits to the Hyborian Age map, which Howard actually worked on in his lifetime and is a touchstone for a lot of Conan fans. That means we still have a world built from sort of twisted, fantasized ancient versions of 20th-century actual nations and people, like Vendhya (not-India), Khitai (not-China), Hyrkania (not-Mongols), and Iranistan (not-Persia). Modiphius, having committed to keeping them, had and has a responsibility to do settings and worldbuilding and rules that don't persist or promote the old, harmful, negative, stupid stereotypes and tropes. It's nice to see them at least giving it a shot.

The author credits thing raises a bit of a red flag, though. Are the authors of the original version disowning the edits... or just embarrassed by the reaction to their first draft... or just desiring to deflect more criticism... or just don't want to be taking credit for content that was heavily edited from their original work? I really don't know, and it'd be good to hear straight from them what their thinking was here.

The comments, sadly, are awful. Same on the Modiphius forums. Lots of people shouting 'I paid for the racism, how dare you take it out!'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Modiphus' approach sounds fantastic to me, respectful and actually fans of the source material but acknowledging and tuning racist elements so minor you shouldn't even notice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tsilkani posted:

The comments, sadly, are awful. Same on the Modiphius forums. Lots of people shouting 'I paid for the racism, how dare you take it out!'

Yeah it's a bit depressing. And they haven't even actually seen the text, or what's been changed, it's 100% reflexive.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah it's a bit depressing. And they haven't even actually seen the text, or what's been changed, it's 100% reflexive.

It got linked to some gamergate and right wing gaming sites (i mean, rpgsite is basically just far right gaming outrage now and has been for a long time). I'm not linking the comments there, but it's far worse and runs the full 'racism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia etc range of bigotry'.

--

As an aside for anyone who ran into this, or sees it mentioned in the future, some people are up in arms that Matt Mercer was going to play a Chinese character in a livestream of Chris Spivey's game of Haunted West. Turns out Mercer didn't know what character he was going to play, and pulled out when he found out (the majority of criticism has been aimed at Mercer/Critical Role) Spivey did some not great justification but then agreed with people.

I think there's a complicated argument on 'should white people be playing other ethnicities in live stream games' (L5R is a perfect example) as opposed to 'is it okay to do it in your home game' but definitely this game with its setting and messaging wasn't a good one to raise that discussion on, and anyway Mercer pulled out, albeit is still being criticised for something he didn't do.

PST fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 10, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Regardless of the comments being a predictable cesspit, the post itself is good.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Please excuse the spam~

:siren: :tfrxmas: :siren:

TG Secret Santa is Back Again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tsilkani posted:

It's as if there's just something unique about Conan. I remember, for example, people being incensed at Conan being played by Jason Momoa, who does not have Conan's "volcanic blue eyes" and it only gets worse from there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's as if there's just something unique about Conan. I remember, for example, people being incensed at Conan being played by Jason Momoa, who does not have Conan's "volcanic blue eyes" and it only gets worse from there.

That's... not the color that volcanos are though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As An Industry: I'm My Wife's Fourth Child And I'm Here To Own The Libs

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PST posted:

It got linked to some gamergate and right wing gaming sites (i mean, rpgsite is basically just far right gaming outrage now and has been for a long time). I'm not linking the comments there, but it's far worse and runs the full 'racism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia etc range of bigotry'.

--

As an aside for anyone who ran into this, or sees it mentioned in the future, some people are up in arms that Matt Mercer was going to play a Chinese character in a livestream of Chris Spivey's game of Haunted West. Turns out Mercer didn't know what character he was going to play, and pulled out when he found out (the majority of criticism has been aimed at Mercer/Critical Role) Spivey did some not great justification but then agreed with people.

I think there's a complicated argument on 'should white people be playing other ethnicities in live stream games' (L5R is a perfect example) as opposed to 'is it okay to do it in your home game' but definitely this game with its setting and messaging wasn't a good one to raise that discussion on, and anyway Mercer pulled out, albeit is still being criticised for something he didn't do.

Mercer did then happily announce that he was a white guy playing a Japanese man in the new Yakuza video game, so while in one instance he wasn't really the one in the wrong, he did commit that error for real almost immediately afterwards(yes I know the work for that was done a whole back, still wrong though).

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I really struggle to see the problem with Matt Mercer doing voice work in Yakuza, is anyone here under the impression that you can dub foreign works only with the right ethnic actors?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Not So Fast posted:

I really struggle to see the problem with Matt Mercer doing voice work in Yakuza, is anyone here under the impression that you can dub foreign works only with the right ethnic actors?

Judging from the bile (and bilious subtweets) doing the rounds, apparently yes, his voicing a character in Yakuza is being held up as rank hypocrisy as well as being problematic on its face.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There is an entire discussion going around the last few years about "digital blackface" and stuff like that, where people want to cosume someone elses culture but not want to actually bring in or pay the people from that culture.
And a big part of it is continuing the catch 22 of there are no famous "ethnic" actors so we keep hiring white guys so no one else gets famous because the white people get all the work. Similar issue for stuff like having cis people playing opposite gender trans roles(cis men playing trans women and vise versa). It's a systemic thing not just individual events and it just comes of really badly when Mercer appologises and then goes right back into happily announces he just did that thing at a bigger scale.

And if you have trouble finding actors of the right ethnicity for at least the main cast in america and canada you probably suck or aren't even looking. How hard is it to find like 20 competent voice actors, they aren't even recording together usually so scheduling is a lot easier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

it's not whether you can so much as whether you should

there are more than enough people out there that if you wanted to voice-over a foreign work with only people of that ethnicity, you should be able to do so

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
So, digging into it, the character Mercer plays, while a small part in Yakuza 7 was a significant character in two of the previous games (0 and 4), and was voiced for the English dubs in 0 and 1 previously by Mark Hamill.

Here's the cast list on imdb listing both the Japanese and English versions and who voiced them, and it does look as if a lot of the English-speaking cast are, well, not Japanese. Edit: so that speaks to the issue of representation across VA and English dubs in anime/games etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11121754/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Maybe the announcement of him as Majima coming right after him pulling out of the Haunted West stream is why this got attention, as it certainly didn't happen when he did the English dub for Kuroiwa in Judgment.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 11, 2020

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

PST posted:

So, digging into it, the character Mercer plays, while a small part in Yakuza 7 was a significant character in two of the previous games (0 and 4), and was voiced for the English dubs in 0 and 1 previously by Mark Hamill.

Here's the cast list on imdb listing both the Japanese and English versions and who voiced them, and it does look as if a lot of the English-speaking cast are, well, not Japanese. Edit: so that speaks to the issue of representation across VA and English dubs in anime/games etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11121754/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Maybe the announcement of him as Majima coming right after him pulling out of the Haunted West stream is why this got attention, as it certainly didn't happen when he did the English dub for Kuroiwa in Judgment.

Just 1, Yakuza stopped getting dubs after the first game because it didn't do well enough to justify it. With the sudden popularity from Yakuza 0, the main Kiryu-starring games remained sub only but spinoffs like Judgment and the Fist of the North Star games started to get dubs.

With 7 it's the beginning of a whole new saga post-Kiryu so they seem to be giving it a shot again. The Judgment dub is supposed to be pretty good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Streaming RPGs are in a weird space between acting and home games, and I can imagine that it's a thorny issue about whether white people can play non-white people.

My fear is that, should we (or should under represented minorities) feel that cishet white men shouldn't be playing non-cishet white men in streaming games, that the "Critical Role" effect will mean that people normalize that into their home games. At a kitchen table, you should absolutely be able to role play across race, gender, sexual identity, etc. Right?

There's a difference between "I'm getting paid to do this publicly" and "I'm doing this for funsies with friends", but also, I worry that difference is going to be lost to a lot of people.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been playing L5R since first edition and it really strange to think I could release an audio podcast of the sessions and there is no problem but a video would be an issue. I definitely think once you are doing it as part of a business (once you have a sponsorship, or maybe even ad reads) it really changes things. Obviously people shouldn't play racist stereotypes, but that line can be tricky. Like, I have played female characters in the past. Do you end up in a situation where the GM just never includes different races/genders/sexual orientations?

At the same time I have seen tons of white dudes in bathrobes at L5R ccg tournaments to know that people can definitely make things uncomfortable as hell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PST posted:

And you certainly can cast appropriately if you want. Sleeping Dogs had a cast of primarily Chinese descent.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

CitizenKeen posted:

Streaming RPGs are in a weird space between acting and home games, and I can imagine that it's a thorny issue about whether white people can play non-white people.

My fear is that, should we (or should under represented minorities) feel that cishet white men shouldn't be playing non-cishet white men in streaming games, that the "Critical Role" effect will mean that people normalize that into their home games. At a kitchen table, you should absolutely be able to role play across race, gender, sexual identity, etc. Right?

There's a difference between "I'm getting paid to do this publicly" and "I'm doing this for funsies with friends", but also, I worry that difference is going to be lost to a lot of people.

Yes, of course! You should absolutely be able to play whoever in an RPG.

The fact that it's seen as a problem here is indicative of the fact that these streams are really much closer to TV shows than they are to a bunch of friends playing D&D.

In a TV show, you can put out a casting call and find someone to play whatever character. Obviously you don't do that in a home game. In streaming? If you are a small group of pals doing an AP podcast as a hobby, you aren't casting professional actors. If you are Critical Role? Then yeah, you are casting professional actors.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jimbozig posted:

Yes, of course! You should absolutely be able to play whoever in an RPG.

The fact that it's seen as a problem here is indicative of the fact that these streams are really much closer to TV shows than they are to a bunch of friends playing D&D.

In a TV show, you can put out a casting call and find someone to play whatever character. Obviously you don't do that in a home game. In streaming? If you are a small group of pals doing an AP podcast as a hobby, you aren't casting professional actors. If you are Critical Role? Then yeah, you are casting professional actors.

I think the issue is that Critical Role organically grew into what it is now from a group of pals doing an AP as a hobby. AFAIK, the core group was never "cast" in any traditional sense.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

whydirt posted:

I think the issue is that Critical Role organically grew into what it is now from a group of pals doing an AP as a hobby. AFAIK, the core group was never "cast" in any traditional sense.

His Horatio Alger origin story doesn't have much to do with the current kerfuffle, since the Asian character he was cast to play was a celebrity guest appearance on a different show and is a working voice actor.

I've been legitimately surprised how many people's take on this has basically been "Poor beleaguered Matt Mercer, he didn't even know!" when the truth is he did the right thing, backed away immediately, and is fine. The real things on trial here are the practice of casting white guys as Asians and the praxis that doing so becomes morally okay at a tipping point where they make enough money. If anything, the only thing we should be talking about with Mercer is that it's high time he decenter himself. He's got enough clout and reach to push worthy projects without also having to star in them. He could host their streams, do followup interviews, and in general use his platform to advocate in ways that don't involve him taking voice roles that could go to POCs.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Some additional thoughts on this, keeping in mind the creator that invited Mercer to play the Asian character is a non-Asian PoC:

https://twitter.com/ajitgeorgeSB/status/1326372574935199744

but there were some issues with the character itself (thread retweeted by the creator):

https://twitter.com/danielhkwan/status/1325921220848660480

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

I think the thornier issue is if there's any improv at all in the stream you're also one of the writers, and now you have someone trying to write for a character from outside their culture and doing so on the fly with no real opportunities to consult with a cultural expert. There is a lot of room for doing something unintentionally offensive without having to go near the whole whitewashing side of things, so I can see why someone would run away screaming from the former but not see a problem with voicing lines for an asian character written by asian writers in an asian game set in an asian country even if they themselves are not asian.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

admanb posted:

Some additional thoughts on this, keeping in mind the creator that invited Mercer to play the Asian character is a non-Asian PoC:

https://twitter.com/ajitgeorgeSB/status/1326372574935199744

That's a load bearing "well known". Is there a qualified metric for when you're officially well known enough to do whatever?

Edit: I was being way too inflammatory and have removed it. My bad.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 11, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What kinda loving wild leap and projection is that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Matt Mercer grabbed my character sheet by the pussy once

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
matt mercer punched me in the gut in a subway, then he showed me the script for the next CR episode and laughed because no one would ever believe me

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

All I'm saying is fame isn't a viable metric for if it's okay to do things, and that the rhetoric of "it's okay to do stuff if you're famous" isn't new. I apologize for the over-escalation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

theironjef posted:

That's a load bearing "well known". Is there a qualified metric for when you're officially well known enough to do whatever? Is this before or after you can grab 'em by the pussy?

Did you read the rest of the thread or are you just going to “grab em by the pussy” out of reflex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Did you read the rest of the thread or are you just going to “grab em by the pussy” out of reflex

First off I already apologized but moreover I'm more or less on Mercer's side. What I'm calling out is the rhetoric that it's okay to hire Mercer for games specifically because he's famous enough to override any discomfort caused by whitewashing a role with a wave of money and eyes. Mercer clearly doesn't want to do anything lovely.