Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Glottis posted:

I think the odds of Disney not trying to pull the nostalgia strings with future Star Wars movie are 1 in 100000000. That's literally all they know how to do in ALL of their tentpole movies.

Is it the same problem in the comics? At least with Marvel movies they can pull some rando character from the comics that only the super nerds know. Does current canon even have distinct characters in the comics?
Doctor Aphra is a breakout character from the newer Star Wars comics and it's just a matter of time before she appears in live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like Star Wars might finally be over and now it's Star Cease Fire if not Star Peace Treaty.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Lt. Danger posted:

incoherent is the climax of Rise of Skywalker, in which Rey murdering Palpatine is good, then bad, then good; Kylo Ren is alive, dead, alive then dead again; so on and so on

TBF isn't that kind of always Palpatine's game? "Whatever it is you're here to do is exactly what my plan was all along!"

"Strike me down and my plan will be complete! Actually kill Vader instead and join me! You know what I'll kill you while Vader watches and then my plan will be complete! I've willed it this way the whole time."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Even when he was zapping Luke it's pretty easy to see that all as attempting to goad Luke into violence. In his mind, if Luke doesn't fight back he just dies; not exactly Palpatine's ideal plan, but merely a disappointment rather than a genuine obstacle.

In RoS, it felt like Rey's great comeback was like "oh, you want me to strike you down in anger? But what if... I kill you while being totally calm and collected? I bet you didn't think of that!" and somehow he actually hadn't thought of that

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
He didn’t think of that or uh, turning off his lightening apparently.

Very convenient when your big bad just kills himself for reasons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Thing is, he'd already tried to goad her into killing him by saying it was the only way to save the rebels. So if she killed him then out of altruism, surely that wouldn't have worked either

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doctor Aphra is a breakout character from the newer Star Wars comics and it's just a matter of time before she appears in live action.

She seems pretty coupled temporally with the OT and does poo poo with Vader a lot. If Disney could get some competent writers they could take the good parts and separate her, but aren't the comics supposed to be 100% canon? I was hoping there were characters that kinda had their own mini-universe, so to speak.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The moral of TROS is that that's three times now we've seen Palpatine use Force Lightning on screen, and all three times afterwards, he got obliterated.

Maybe he should've just held back on the lightning bolts and done that screaming corkscrew jump poo poo that apparently paralyzed 3 other Jedi masters in the Chancellor's Office.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Gonz posted:

Maybe he should've just held back on the lightning bolts and done that screaming corkscrew jump poo poo that apparently paralyzed 3 other Jedi masters in the Chancellor's Office.

Going with the way the Jedi order is portrayed in the prequels they were paralyzed because he didn't follow proper :decorum: and let himself be couped peacefully. Just complete shock at this daring action.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

porfiria posted:

I feel like Star Wars might finally be over and now it's Star Cease Fire if not Star Peace Treaty.

Starmistace

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gonz posted:

The moral of TROS is that that's three times now we've seen Palpatine use Force Lightning on screen, and all three times afterwards, he got obliterated.

"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" it's like poetry

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I still don't think the end of TROS is nearly as dumb as the beginning, where they drop the biggest reveal of the whole trilogy in the opening crawl, and then it falls to poor Oscar Isaac to deliver some of the most ham-fisted exposition dialogue I've ever heard.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

That's a power move called "Lazy Cinematography" or "We Have No Idea How This Would Work WHOA Three Jedi Masters Are Dead."

BTW thank you, "screaming corkscrew jump poo poo" is now the canon name of that, uh... move? Power? Dunno.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I still don't think the end of TROS is nearly as dumb as the beginning, where they drop the biggest reveal of the whole trilogy in the opening crawl, and then it falls to poor Oscar Isaac to deliver some of the most ham-fisted exposition dialogue I've ever heard.

What do you mean? They didn't drop the biggest reveal of the whole trilogy in the opening crawl, that would have been stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0ejXC7kFs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean at least they didn't drop the actual reveal in an unrelated video game, that would have been astoundingly cynical and stupid

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

porfiria posted:

Star Gradual Corrosive Complacency And Accumulation Of Power In One Group's Hands Over Time Causing In-Fighting With Increasing Belligerence Until Radical Militarist And/Or Nationalist Factions Gain Control And Inevitably Begin A New Round Of Aggressive Wars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1325948022744739840?s=19

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

WTF, we have all been waiting for years for the "Chewbacca Hogleg" outtake!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nobody tell them about Artoo whipping it out and plugging into any socket he can find

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's interesting watching the behind the scenes stuff for The Mandalorian, and Jon Favreau says "We didn't want to be inspired by Star Wars ... We wanted to be inspired by the things that inspired George to make Star Wars." And how that show manages succeeds wildly at it.

Whereas the ST is very much the case (ESPECIALLY in TFA) to be inspired by Star Wars, and Star Wars only.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Oscar Isaac put his foot down on not being killed off since he'd be dying so often in his other movies. An amazing self-own and I believe he said as much in interviews

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ingmar terdman posted:

Oscar Isaac put his foot down on not being killed off since he'd be dying so often in his other movies. An amazing self-own and I believe he said as much in interviews

I mean, it was a financial decision to even be in Star Wars to begin with so I imagine the two extra movie's worth of that sweet Disney cash was well worth the creative downsides.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, it was a financial decision to even be in Star Wars to begin with so I imagine the two extra movie's worth of that sweet Disney cash was well worth the creative downsides.

When did he decide he regretted though? Gonna lol forever if he survives biting the tooth in Dune

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

When did he decide he regretted though? Gonna lol forever if he survives biting the tooth in Dune

That'd be extra funny because there's no way DUNC 2 is ever getting made

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

That's a power move called "Lazy Cinematography" or "We Have No Idea How This Would Work WHOA Three Jedi Masters Are Dead."

BTW thank you, "screaming corkscrew jump poo poo" is now the canon name of that, uh... move? Power? Dunno.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The proper name is PSYCHO CRUSHER

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That name sounds like an M. Bison move.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 11, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Its literally the name of his corkscrew attack

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

That Mae sounds like an M. Bison move.

Palpatine didn't die. He just moved to Shadaloo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats my Chancellor

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

watched the first episode of the Mandalorian season 2. is this the first time Tusken Raiders have been treated like actual people in a Star Wars?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

watched the first episode of the Mandalorian season 2. is this the first time Tusken Raiders have been treated like actual people in a Star Wars?

A lot of the broad strokes of that plot are also in the first KOTOR game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

punishedkissinger posted:

In Knights of the Old Republic you can engage with them diplomatically and find out a lot about their culture and history.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Including an allusion to them being the origin of humanity on a previously fertile Tatooine

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

If you're the one who made this, thank you. You're doing God's The Force's work.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

loving DOPE.

"Hey wait we were talking about saving my wife's life, how will screaming corkscrew jump poo poo save her?"

"... you'll see."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

JonathonSpectre posted:

lazy "cinematography" is when three minor characters with no lines get stabbed by the villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The corkscrew jump is self-justifying, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1889zS030