Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

orange juche posted:

As soon as they're not in a government controlled wallet they are attracting financial crimes, much like lint is attracted to clothes.

Doesn't the Government then have a block chain trail linking the auction winners to criminal activity of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Only if the winners are foolish enough to recycle an existing address to receive them, where standard practice is to create a new one. (Also if they're stupid enough to dump compromised wallets into the new address in sufficient amounts to demonstrate control over the tainted buttcoins.)

But yeah, unless you're a Tim Draper or Goldman Sachs you're probably going to have some eager agent keeping an eye on the addresses you tell the gubermint to send the proceeds.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How do drugs dealers actually cash out bitcoins? I roughly know how tumblers work and that you get clean bitcoins out of them that can not be linked to criminal activity in court, but what do you do with them afterwards? I guess you can't use the legal exchanges to cash because they exchange data with authorities for tax purposes. I also don't see them using craigslist or something due to the sheer amount of money that has to be cashed out regularly.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Only if the winners are foolish enough to recycle an existing address to receive them, where standard practice is to create a new one. (Also if they're stupid enough to dump compromised wallets into the new address in sufficient amounts to demonstrate control over the tainted buttcoins.)

But yeah, unless you're a Tim Draper or Goldman Sachs you're probably going to have some eager agent keeping an eye on the addresses you tell the gubermint to send the proceeds.

I mean crimes.txt and Agent Mark Force IV Was a thing.

They are exactly that stupid to fall for a honeypot.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No one need bet against the stupidity of bitcoiners, with that we can agree.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

GABA ghoul posted:

How do drugs dealers actually cash out bitcoins? I roughly know how tumblers work and that you get clean bitcoins out of them that can not be linked to criminal activity in court, but what do you do with them afterwards? I guess you can't use the legal exchanges to cash because they exchange data with authorities for tax purposes. I also don't see them using craigslist or something due to the sheer amount of money that has to be cashed out regularly.

tumbling them through multiple other coins and exchanges is a favourite - US AG thyber report, p42 https://www.justice.gov/ag/page/file/1326061/download

attached below - note use of Tether as an intermediate chain, North Korea tried this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

divabot posted:

tumbling them through multiple other coins and exchanges is a favourite - US AG thyber report, p42 https://www.justice.gov/ag/page/file/1326061/download

attached below - note use of Tether as an intermediate chain, North Korea tried this one

Yeah, but what happens to the clean bitcoins? How do you turn that into cash you can use to buy food and gas and new cocaine, without having to declare it is as mystery income to the tax office? I mean, I guess you can buy the cocaine in bitcoins, but then you still need to convert at least something like 2k per month into real money to pay for rent & co.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, but what happens to the clean bitcoins? How do you turn that into cash you can use to buy food and gas and new cocaine, without having to declare it is as mystery income to the tax office? I mean, I guess you can buy the cocaine in bitcoins, but then you still need to convert at least something like 2k per month into real money to pay for rent & co.

you "sell them to a greater fool for cold, hard cash and commit tax fraud by not reporting it" seems to be the popular answer

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GABA ghoul posted:

No, nononono. The whole point of laundering money is that you do pay taxes on it. It's not clean money until it's in the system as legit money, and that means paying taxes.

One of the great things about bitcoin for money laundering is that you can declare it as an investment ("oh well I got into cryptocurrencies back when bitcoins were less than a dollar each") and pay 15-20% capital gains tax on what you cash out, easy peasy. Laundering cash the old fashioned way you lost a lot more on operating a front plus had to pay income tax rates as well.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GABA ghoul posted:

Cashing out is a perennial problem for internet criminals, but you have options.

a. Sketchy exchanges. The problem is they know their customers are mostly some sort of criminal so they can rob their customers whenever they want by pretending they care about AML/KYC.
b. ATMs. There are bitcoin ATMs spread across every city. My city has ATMs from at least 10 different operators each of which has different daily/monthly buy/sell limits and they don't talk to each other, although they do talk to the IRS.
c. Direct sales. Craigslist, local bitcoins, etc.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
I have a tech division at work pushing me to inject blockchain into a supply chain management solution. I haven’t met yet but...why?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because they are stupid.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Because they are stupid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mrs. Sexual posted:

I have a tech division at work pushing me to inject blockchain into a supply chain management solution. I haven’t met yet but...why?

Buttcoin.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.coindesk.com/biden-confirms-gary-gensler-will-lead-financial-policy-transition-team

Biden picking some real fails here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Libertarians and techbro types have the same fallacy with economics that liberal centrists have with politics in general; believing that established norms, decorum and 'common wisdom' are physical laws, and being unable to comprehend when they are openly and routinely broken.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The guy who says these things are securities and should be regulated using the existing laws for securities is not someone that cryptoclowns would normally consider an ally.

If you are selling a security you have to register with the SEC, provide a bunch of public info, and most importantly have your books checked by independent auditors. If you don't do that you're selling an unregistered security and there are instant penalties if you sell them to normal people. Financial fraud they have to spend all sorts of time proving you violated the law. Selling unregistered securities they have the power to block you and issue fines unilaterally.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

The guy who says these things are securities and should be regulated using the existing laws for securities is not someone that cryptoclowns would normally consider an ally.

If you are selling a security you have to register with the SEC, provide a bunch of public info, and most importantly have your books checked by independent auditors. If you don't do that you're selling an unregistered security and there are instant penalties if you sell them to normal people. Financial fraud they have to spend all sorts of time proving you violated the law. Selling unregistered securities they have the power to block you and issue fines unilaterally.
That's interesting, I hadn't looked at it that way. Thanks for the info, I guess this is good news for the rest of us than!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao seraph

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oh that explains why he's mentally defective, he cooks all his food in garbage bags so he doesn't have to wash up. got a brain full of plastic biseraphenols.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cum AllYeFaithful posted:

That's interesting, I hadn't looked at it that way. Thanks for the info, I guess this is good news for the rest of us than!
Dead giveaway style.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Check out his saclopedia entry, he tried to say he's being framed by fishmech lol.
Also, he's reregged probably another 6 accounts since the above one got banned. Countdown till he wanders back in here?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 11, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

orange juche posted:

Check out his saclopedia entry, he tried to say he's being framed by fishmech lol.
Also, he's reregged probably another 6 accounts since the above one got banned. Countdown till he wanders back in here?

6? more like dozens

dude has.. issues..

Quiet Calm Seraph
Nov 12, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

yeah seriously, identify him by his wallet address which he never posted
Lmao if you think I'm gonna post my wallet address, but...

I have 20 other trezors lol. The wealth on this one trezor represents just $5,000 of the investment I made in the fall of 2013, when bitcoin was worth $255 each. Meditate on that.

Carrion Luggage posted:

because it is a massive waste of power which is needlessly putting more poo poo into the air that would not otherwise be there

because it is not a feasible solution to any problem

it is a pipe dream that idiots consider their way to become wealthy

it is no different than collecting any stupid trinket, it is just another trinket but it hurts the global climate more-so than beanie babies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg

Lol forever at nocoiners. I told you here on this very forum to buy when btc was under 300$. I told you repeatedly.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh no he's back

Quiet Calm Seraph
Nov 12, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

oh no he's back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2e6LWBhhU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quiet Calm Seraph posted:

I have 20 other trezors lol. The wealth on this one trezor represents just $5,000 of the investment I made in the fall of 2013, when bitcoin was worth $255 each. Meditate on that.

You should be the guy that drops a bunch of money to perma lowtax then. Just think how we'd all stew on that, that the person to put the final nail in the coffin was seraph!

Quiet Calm Seraph posted:

Lol forever at nocoiners. I told you here on this very forum to buy when btc was under 300$. I told you repeatedly.

Did you also tell us not to put any coins in mtgox, or bitfinex, or binance, or QuadrigaCX, or Altsbit?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Excelzior posted:

oh no he's back

He's way less amusing than meaningless chart guy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why does Seraph need our approval so badly? It's kinda sad.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Someday he’ll get those 7 confirmations

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just invested in CDCoin. It's my own virtual currency. I got in on the ground floor and one coin was randomly handed out for free and I gave it to myself. The thing with CDCoin is the there will only ever be one of them, it's the ultimate deflationary currency. Right now I've valued it at five million dollars per coin but it goes up Up UP all the time!

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
I kinda love the eternal Seraph puppetshow of “Im a coincurious nobody just asking questions about this oddly cool Bitcoin thing, just like you guys!” which immediately turns into the mask getting ripped off with a triumphant “It was me all along, Austin!”

JeffsBitcoinPaypig
Nov 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I kinda love the eternal Seraph puppetshow of “Im a coincurious nobody just asking questions about this oddly cool Bitcoin thing, just like you guys!” which immediately turns into the mask getting ripped off with a triumphant “It was me all along, Austin!”

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buttcoiners and maga chuds, the only people stupid enough to take a comic book super-villain who gets soundly and utterly defeated and think that guy should be their role model to represent assured success

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well, it fits, both are obsessed with halvings

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God drat seraph lol

I will say at least seraph had the good sense not to buy more accounts when taxman owned the place

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanos had an extremely naive understanding of resource scarcity and his plan was a complete failure before it was reverted. In the end he accomplished a whole lot of nothing and left everything way worse than it was when he started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Splicer posted:

Thanos had an extremely naive understanding of resource scarcity and his plan was a complete failure before it was reverted. In the end he accomplished a whole lot of nothing and left everything way worse than it was when he started.
which gem prints the tethers