Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flag: D
Name: M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A
J

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Flag D

Name L

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Flag D
Name L

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Flag: F
Name: L

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
C, K

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Flag: D

Name: M

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Flag: C

Name: F

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Flag: B

Name: J

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C

L

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

C
M

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
C
L

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

D

L

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
D
L

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Flag: C
Name: L

Iolite
May 9, 2009
Flag C
Name M

Serenity in empire expansion.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

F
D

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

D
D

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The poll is closed. :siren:

Flags:

A)
1 (Crazycryodude)

B)
1 (AJ_Impy)

C)
9 (Kassad, Negostrike, TinTower, Dikkfor, Lord Cyrahzax, Soup du Jour, Lynneth, habeasdorkus, Iolite)

D)
10 (Coward, megane, zealouscub, Tulip, theamazingchris, idhrendur, Technowolf, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Freudian)
Photo finish!

E)

F)
2 (Pacho, Rody One Half)

Names:

D) Harmonious Republic of Heaven/Tibet
2 (Rody One Half, Freudian)

F) Grand Republic of India And the Tibetan Plateau
1 (Dikkfor )

J) Blessed Holy Republic of Sacred Tibet
3 (Coward, Crazycryodude, AJ_Impy)

K) Democratic Federated People's Republic of Tibet
1 (TinTower )

L) Heavenly Republic of Tibet
11 (Kassad, Negostrike, zealouscub, theamazingchris, idhrendur, Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, Lynneth, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, habeasdorkus)

M) Most Serene Republic of Tibet
5 (megane, Tulip, Technowolf, Soup du Jour, Iolite)

With 23 votes, this shall be our flag of the Heavenly Republic of Tibet.

===========================================

It is evening, and the Potala Palace is empty and windswept. It has been largely uninhabited and only lightly looted after the departure of Gyalyum II, and a few remnants of the household staff have tried to patch up the walls and fill in crumbling floors. At least nobody fell through the toilet window anymore.

Tsering Lhagyari walks around the building alone -- as alone as she can be. She is surrounded by guards with sword and musket, some on horseback, each sweeping the walls and windows with their gaze. They stop as she stares at a bit of graffiti scrawled onto the walls. The guards are impatient but do not bother her, they know well enough for that. Finally, she moves past the graffiti, written in angry black paint - LHAGYARI IS THE GREAT DESTROYER AND PURGYAL WILL HAVE REVENGE. Stone-faced, she finishes her circuit of the palace and walks through the reliquary gate and towards a favorite temple. She prays for some time, in peace, until a priest dares to interrupt her.

"You know, there was a story about two lovers -- they went to temple together, of course. But one prayed to the gods and the other talked to the priests."

"I talk to both," said Tsering. "The gods for protection and the priests because they can vote." She looks down for a moment, her face as unmoving and blank as the statuary around them. "There are some more predictions I'd like done."

With slight hesitation, the priest responds. "Of course, your excellency."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

NOOO! WE ARE DOOMED UNLESS WE ADOPT THE GOAT FLAG!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Gyalyum II, the Eternal Empress, the Bilocated, She-Who-Rises, Sekai no kōgō

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Pacho posted:

Gyalyum II, the Eternal Empress, the Bilocated, She-Who-Rises, Sekai no kōgō

Fantastic. Adding it to the OP

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 71: 1616 to 1626 - Gunpowder Empires

The Republic is a 1955 historical drama film directed by Penpa Wangchuk about the first years of the First Tibetan Republic. A historical re-enactment in the style of a series of documentary interviews, the film received much acclaim from critics for its political themes and Wangchuk's direction.

The sound of horns in the distance as the title card scrolls past. Then the text crawls up from the bottom of the screen:

In the first years of the 17th century, the Tibetan Empire collapsed and a republic would take its place.

Though it was poor, deprived of troops for its armies, it managed to enjoy a period of tenuous stability in the following years.

The first elected leader of the republic, an aristocrat named Tsering Lhagyari, would later gain a reputation for moral clarity and efficient administration.

However, she, like many other leaders of Tibet before her and after her, would face troubles over religious institutions,

and attempting to administer a remote and indifferent population.

With the formal secession of the crown lands of Tibet from the institution known as the Sacred Tibetan Empire,

a system emerged where there were multiple claimants to the historical legacy established by the Second Tibetan Empire (922-1417).

DEVIPRASAD, 41, ironsmith: Well, I don't know everything that happens in Lhasa. But I do know that my station in life has improved over the past few years. People will pay more for iron, and my assistants and I can take more cash home for ourselves. There are fewer bandits on the roads, and I see fewer people that are starving.

I've talked to another smith in the village over, his name is, uh, Balendra, and he said that all the iron is being bought up for the wars of Rajputana against their neighbors. So there is not enough iron work done and people need more of it so they will pay more. He heard this from a former palace guard. So it's still possible for people to talk roughly at our level and station in society, and I can at least expect some stability and enough customers to feed myself and my daughters.

RUAN BINGLIN, 34, merchant: You must understand that these areas have gone through a very difficult problem, as is the case when dynasties tend to collapse. A comparison would be to the fall of the Tang Dynasty, or the Later Han - much of the old aristocracy was destroyed along with it and now Tibet has the difficult balance of restoring an old landholding aristocracy and the imperial bureaucracy. [He leans in closer to the camera, eyes darting around as if someone else was listening.] Even the old Purgyals have lost much of their former territory. [He leans back.]

So with the sale of titles, the new government hopes to establish a new group of people who feel responsible for the lands they administer, and who can be trusted to provide troops or funds in wartime or some other emergency. And, to be blunt, I'd rather be a noble here than at the bottom of the social ladder in China, if you understand my meaning.

SHANTIH, 31, a former member of the army loyal to Gyalyum II: It's dogshit. [She gesticulates wildly with one arm, her other hand perched casually on her sword She wears armor over her robes.] The rest of these little pretenders are fighting over our land, and we have made no moves against them. None. It is as if we had no army at all.

And then, this is the worst insult, our position in the Sacred Tibetan Empire is replaced by ... a little kingdom that's clearly just going to do what it says. We left, and that means other people make decisions. We should have just taken them over.

And not even the loving Tarim Basin peoples are paying their tribute! Those little worms. We caught a few soldiers from there when we were in the war. There was this one officer - I took her jewelry and boots and dumped her off a bridge. I've still got the boots, see?

TENZIN YESHI, civil servant: The first years, I think, were very difficult. We faced rebellions from the nobility and many other difficulties.

And the idea of a system of government that was, even if we established its roots in history and religious backing, wholly new, was still discomfiting to many people.

While we had heard stories of other governments like ours on the other side of the world, and their many accomplishments,

it was more assuring to hear that our armies were still competent,

and the government still fastidious in its care for the people.

EDRISSA HAIRTE, 51, Malian merchant: Hm? Well I don't know much about that. I can only speak to the importance of finding good friends and loyal allies in difficult times.

You obviously look like a traveller, what's going on with Mali? Have you any news at all? How is the Ayitian war against the Nahua going?

Those people have been expanding constantly across the north, and their violent and sacrificial practices.... it's like how the Tibetans used to be, if you know what I mean. No? Oh well. I appreciate it. God bless you, young man.

DAW THANDA, Burmese magistrate, 61: I can't say that everything has improved immediately, or that we now live in a state of heavenly perfection on earth - there is still much to be done. But for now it's like recovering from a splitting headache and you have to pick up what's left of your day.

There are still problems with fanatics -- the very mention of it spread a wave of panic through the people in my districts.

But we were quite relieved when Lhasa sent an army led by Sonam Detrin Tsen to defeat them.

Now these debts can start to be repaid.

SHATARBAL, Mongolian, army officer [not even looking up as he cleans his musket]: Well, yes. The nobility and outlying districts are still rebellious from time to time.

If you're not careful, you lose much of your ability to defend yourself and any authority you have, and so all your neighbors will tear you apart, like vultures on carrion.

As for General Tsen? Well. She used to serve the emperor. Then when he was defeated, she served Gyalyum II. Then when she was defeated, she serves the Republic. You don't betray your master, you go to whoever defeats them and if they spare your life you serve them. That's the law.

Good for us, in any case. May their blood clot in their chests.

The time of evil will pass, as it always does.

May General Tsen, my commander, live a thousand years.

And to the enemies of the empire, we send them swiftly to their death!

S. V. RAMESH, an educated Tamil, who refuses to give his full name: All reigns, however glorious, must come to an end sometime. I suspect that at within my lifetime, our kings will leave this sham empire that exists only in name.

Anything obtained can slip away immediately; being ungrateful for ones lot in life poisons the mind like syphilis.

Those who are too passive and unprepared are crushed.

Those who are ambitious and claim universal dominion without support will get beaten down.

We cannot claim to have universal empire; there are other kingdoms and we just have to live besides them.

The future, and hopes for establishing wealth and an indepedent kingdom for ourselves, lie further away from here. A just king, not like these selfish emperors, would uphold the laws and guarantee prosperity for his people. Perhaps the republic may lead them along a better path.

Other kingdoms are on the move - we regrettably do not live in a world of angels.

A Tibetan physician with a prominent facial scar: It's all so ceaseless.

The empire marches west as it once has. Rajputana wants to be what the empire once was.

The buildings come back, after the betrayal of the false empress. Of course she was a fake, how could I - anyone else - not have known earlier? But then again people are so willing to follow what they believe to be true. Attachment leads them to folly.

Someone I love once told me that victory has a thousand mothers but defeat is an orphan. In times of trouble there is plenty of blame to go around.

I was invited to the bedside of the dying Tsering. She was so young - an excess of wood in the spleen, they said. The Taoists were weeping as they had prepared the rites. She was so young. She had wanted so bitterly not to die, for there was too much left for her to do. [She lifts up her hands in a 'back off' gesture, covers the camera for a moment, and then walks away.]

Narrator: In 1626, the first leader of the Tibetan republic died. In a special ceremony, the first of its kind, the names of a series of candidates were inscribed on white slips and placed in a golden urn. This was the first peaceful transfer of power between dynasties in Tibetan history, and the first peaceful transfer of power in decades. By the twists of fate, this would be to a woman also named Gyalyum, after the founder of the restored empire.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 11, 2020

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The Omen don't lie!
The Urn is Holy!
Gyalyum! Gyalyum!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
"This agglomeration which was called and which still calls itself the Sacred Tibetan Empire was neither sacred, nor Tibetan, nor an empire." - Punjabi dandy 'Volataara'

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ah, yes, the Fourth Gyalyum

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really liked the writing on this update, it was a fun gimmick and I think you really got across that pseudo-documentary artificial voice.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ah, yes, Bengaluru, fifth Rome.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
I like how sortition is working, it's one of those crazy ideas I wish we had more records of.

Also the writing for this was really cool.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

zealouscub posted:

I like how sortition is working, it's one of those crazy ideas I wish we had more records of.

The "birthplace of democracy," ancient Athens, used sortition to select all its government officers (except, iirc, generals and admirals or something?), if you're looking for an example to read up on!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
The sortition method I've introduced is very loosely adapted from something the Qing Dynasty imperial decreed on Tibet in our timeline - the Golden Urn, established by the Qianlong Emperor in the 1790s. But that was for the Dalai Lamas specifically.

Vote - The Transfer of Power

Palkye Gyalyum, in the seventh decade of her life and a veteran of the wars of Gyalyum II, is an old fighter and a respectable general who is still a skilled shot with a musket. She has an understanding of why exactly the gods chose her - now that the old crown lands of Tibet have recovered, a brief military campaign of conquest and plunder might be enough to cement the new republic's position.

Choose one of the following directions:

We could go east, likely against the remnants of the Jin dynasty in Sichuan. In a gesture of unity with the remaining followers of the Sacred Hierarchy, she has promised to avoid a direct attack on the rump state of the Sacred Hierarchy.

We could go north, to the squabbling remnants of the Mongolian Empire. Our best shot would be to recover the lands of the Tarim Basin and keep our rebellious tributary in line - perhaps annex them completely? And then to some of the smaller clan groups.

Or, we could continue the campaigns of the past century and drive south and destroy the last of the Burmese kingdoms. Our own loyal Burmese population would be happy to show them what a good government really does, and we could use the valuable ports as a launching point for expansion further abroad. Dagon and its environs would be a considerable prize.

There is also a settlement ruled by the Sultanate of Mogadishu - an artifact of the cross-ocean trade, perhaps. The Ethiopian emperors have intermarried into the ruling family of Majapahit, and now distant branches of the same dynasty rule those two great empires.

Our new leader demurrs about a campaign further west- attacking Punjab, an elector of the false empire would bring all of them down upon us, and we are not ready for that yet. But given the fact that the south is embroiled in another set of wars, recovering some of our lost territories is at least possible, though not likely.

Finally, it's time for a new set of ideas. Choose any one of the following:

The vote will end on 8 PM EST, Saturday November 14th.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 12, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm waiting and hoping for Lasya to come back. Greatest leader Tibet ever had.

Clearly if this Republic is to be of any worth, we must control what Great Tibet formerly held! We must march WEST.

I am feeling this Expansive idea.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 12, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm waiting and hoping for Lasya to come back. Greatest leader Tibet ever had.

Clearly if this Republic is to be of any worth, we must control what Great Tibet formerly held! We must march WEST.

I am feeling this Expansive idea.

Don't worry, she'll be back some day

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

gently caress Burma Specifically, aka South - with Trade ideas so we can put the shipping routes to good use.

Sanzh
Mar 6, 2013
South, Quantity

Now that we're a republic, it's time for the levée en masse.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

South, Quality

We must demonstrate the superiority of our nation via the superiority of our troops.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

North, to punish those who have defied us.

Quality, to show the world our superiority.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

South, Plutocratic

Plutocratic's gonna take some explaining, but if we go south we are unlikely to face anyone we really need a massive military advantage against, and plutocratic gives us a relatively even halfway mark between something like quality and trade ideas.(I also just like stacking advisor cost discounts with innovative/diplo/influence and plutocratic)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

South, Quantity. :zerg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
South, Trade
The Spice Must Flow