Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Protest resignation means nothing, they have now given up all bureaucratic ability to stall, resist, shred documents and bail out other pro-democracy activists to the bitter end

E: Actually, hell they've done enough. May as well grab one last headline

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Pro independence is cool and all but anyone who didn't see this coming when britain pulled out was deluding themselves. Even my idiot brain thought "well that's not good" who thought a city state could maintain independence long-term?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
we wanted them to do exactly that months ago when CCP extends existing legco member for a year, due to the gov delayed the elections.

well, being late is still better than an absence I guess

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Legco has been a shitfest for years before this. It's structurally broken from the start.

hazardousmouse posted:

Pro independence is cool and all but anyone who didn't see this coming when britain pulled out was deluding themselves. Even my idiot brain thought "well that's not good" who thought a city state could maintain independence long-term?

Oh plenty of people saw it coming. It's why we immigrated to NZ when I was a kid around '89 during one of the exodus waves. No one was really deluded, everyone knew they were on the clock hoping to get to 2047 mostly intact at which point :shrug:. Britain knew full well the text of the treaty but depending on how you see it weren't in the position to do much short of war but then Thatcher the so-called Iron Lady who is as soft as lead. At the time for most part the CCP leadership was taking genuine steps to open up. Then the thing that didn't happen, happened which iced a lot of possibilities. CCP influence would pop up once in a while, never existential sans rat loving CEOs rear end lickers, which lead to some people returning to HK thinking things were OK. Then Xi. gently caress that yellow Pooh poo poo.

There is also a BS CCP influenced short list the UN written during the wave of post WW2 decolonisation that removed HK from consideration for independence that other colonised territories enjoy.

While people hope for independence no one expects it as at a minimum requires the dissolution of the CCP. One of the slogans sum it up perfectly "Burn with us".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want a look how much of a rat gently caress Trump is, Biden's (US as a whole) far more focused likely far more effective aggressive approach to China. gently caress China goes well beyond the presidency.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/11/10/president-biden-will-stand-with-hong-kong-more-effectively-than-trump-ever-did/

quote:

While Republicans have certainly been the most vocal, US support for Hong Kong, Uyghurs, Taiwan, and countering Chinese aggression and coercion around the world has been unequivocally bipartisan: a feat which is extremely rare in American politics.

Scott Kennedy of CSIS recently revealed that legislators from both parties sponsor supportive legislation in nearly equal amounts. While Republican Senator Marco Rubio introduced the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris co-sponsored it along with the majority of their Senate colleagues. The Democrats’ leading voice in Congress, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was a tireless advocate for its passage and met activists such as Joshua Wong and Nathan Law at the US Capitol.

Pelosi has been a thorn in Beijing’s side for decades. After the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, she fought to protect the 40,000 Chinese students in the US at the time from the “butchers of Beijing.” And on a trip to Beijing in 1991, she unfurled a banner in Tiananmen Square that read “to those who died for democracy in China.” Similarly, Republican Senators Rick Scott and Ted Cruz flew to Hong Kong in 2019 to join the protests and meet activists.

It's not comprehensive given its loving Trump, Bullshits a day keeps the lawyers at bay. It's mirrors what I said earlier, Trump deserves gently caress all credit other than pulling the starter pistol for all the wrong reasons. In the extremely rare occasions he is correct he is wrong. Its bizarre those who support him thinks he is going to help anybody other than himself. He killed thousands trying to get re-elected with his rallies ffs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We haven't had a good laugh about airplanes recently.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1326600582241554432

Weird how this Chinese aircraft factory is staffed by so many white people and is building 787s. :thunk:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 11, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Im the big rear end american flag on the wall

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Im the big rear end american flag on the wall

lol

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Tacoma, WA, PRC

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A very hurtful flag

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I'm the video shot in 16:9 and then crunched down into 9:16 with that stupid blurry margin effect normally reserved to do the opposite

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

I'm the video shot in 16:9 and then crunched down into 9:16 with that stupid blurry margin effect normally reserved to do the opposite

Don't forget the black soft margins that the twitter embed applies to make it fit into a square!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How is Chinese propaganda always so god danged great

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Imagine living and working in China

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

mikerock posted:

Tacoma, WA, PRC
They'll need more dashes to make the line extend that far

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Grand Fromage posted:

We haven't had a good laugh about airplanes recently.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1326600582241554432

Weird how this Chinese aircraft factory is staffed by so many white people and is building 787s. :thunk:

Ah man it looks like it was pulled. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The junk collector posted:

Ah man it looks like it was pulled. :(

Guess someone noticed, shameful.

Anyway it was "Look at building an aircraft in China!" with a shortened version of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZk9vNS8NE

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I actually saw it and just wanted to show it to a friend but c'est la vie.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hk legco was almost all the way to being a rubber stamp body anyway. It's not like it was political legislative opposition that stalled article 23 or extradition, it was ordinary people protesting.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Who reported oohhboy for that? That's some bullshit, free oohhboy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, probing a Chinese person for using the word yellow. :downsbravo:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Lol that was absolute bullshit, what the hell mods

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
pooh poo poo mods

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

as an also ethnic chinese person i will say it seemed odd to specify yellow there and is probably a bit racist

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
How else would you describe Winnie the Pooh?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am sure the mod was well-intentioned. Given everything in the US they are probably on a hair trigger. It's still BS, like WTH if you read the post, but I don't think that we have a genocide loving fascist tankie on staff at this time.

McGavin posted:

Wow, probing a Chinese person for using the word yellow. :downsbravo:

Sir, I take umbrage to this barbarous and rude statement, an insult to our 5000 years of history. I am a Hong Konger, not Chinese. You have crossed my dash lines, intruded on my sovereignty of my internal affairs. Our rear end is not full of poo poo, that is an anti-terrorist vocational camp. I demand an apology to guarantee the safety of Canadians and avoid sanctions on beef.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is certainly a frivolous question, so I am sorry.

But as a Hong Kong New Zealdander, did you ever go to the Rugby 7s that they have there? Is it as much an excuse for fat English expats to drink as I have heard? Are the matches of any decent quality?

I was lucky enough to watch the Hong Kong T20 tournament finals one time, and got to see the team Luke Ronchi played for lose. So that was nice.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Guys I know I know but it’s a hard thing to moderate, I probably would have done the same thing if I saw the report first but thank you for being mostly understanding. I personally really like this thread and I’ll make sure I reach out to regulars about anything that seems weird in the future.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We cool.

BrigadierSensible posted:

But as a Hong Kong New Zealdander, did you ever go to the Rugby 7s that they have there? Is it as much an excuse for fat English expats to drink as I have heard? Are the matches of any decent quality?

I was lucky enough to watch the Hong Kong T20 tournament finals one time, and got to see the team Luke Ronchi played for lose. So that was nice.

I am absolutely the last person you should be asking about sports teams. I know very little. All Black go win, The Warriors always lose and it's ok. I know less about cricket other than why play with that ball, it's boring af player or spectator and getting sunburn while drinking.

If you are going to watch a sport Rugby is a solid choice regardless of league. Dudes running at each other. Flows fast with little dead air. Rules are pretty easy (Like, the gently caress American football). It doesn't take much for you to see the skills at play. Can be quite the spectacle as guys shrugs off tackle after tackle or drags 3 dudes over the line. Bloodly hell with the 7, I can't imagine facing down a charging Maori/islander in a professional game, the balls to do that is just incredible. Its unnerving enough during lunch break/PE. It's not impossible or anything, just drat. If you want underdogs it's perfect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ya. "I'm X so I'm allowed to say Y" comes up a lot in moddin' and it's extremely hard because 99% of the time we have no loving idea that you are X and just see the saying Y. I was going to ping a GBS mod about it until I saw it was just a sixer and over in 15 minutes, then I stopped caring.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not that hard if you read the post. I don't know how the mod backend works but I can't help but get the impression nobody reads anything other than quotes taken out of context or Yahoo key word trawl. Made worse that you can't face your accuser making it weaponised passive aggressiveness. One description was so vague I messaged the mod trying to figure out what was up, it was a word that got silently banned.

It's why I have never reported anyone, it doesn't feel right. If you are going to confront someone be transparent and learn more first. That said I get it as the time to deal with a report would increase exponentially so :shrug:.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

oohhboy posted:

It's not that hard if you read the post. I don't know how the mod backend works but I can't help but get the impression nobody reads anything other than quotes taken out of context or Yahoo key word trawl. Made worse that you can't face your accuser making it weaponised passive aggressiveness. One description was so vague I messaged the mod trying to figure out what was up, it was a word that got silently banned.

It's why I have never reported anyone, it doesn't feel right. If you are going to confront someone be transparent and learn more first. That said I get it as the time to deal with a report would increase exponentially so :shrug:.

Once upon a time, a moderator once probed someone for writing a post filled with the hard R n-word. Well, that post was some kind of performance piece or something written by an American, and that moderator received a long-winded meltdown PM calling them a racist, to which the mod replied with a goatse. So all said and done I think this is probably the better outcome I've seen of this situation.

Mods are people like you and me, and I imagine reading reported posts gets kind of draining (and there are a lot of them) When writing a post with controversial or high-context language, I always think "what will the takeaway be if someone just isolates this section" because more often than not, that's how mods read reported posts.

Does it suck that we have to pander to gringos and what they think is acceptable? Yes, but I also think it's that condition which makes SA a little more readable. That being said, would be nice if tankie crackdowns happened forums wide, and not just in this thread. But being tankie is in fashionable to internet Americans now, I guess.

In short,
没有为什么

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The entire reported post gets sent to the queue. But you also have to keep in mind mods are all volunteer, and GBS is a forum that gets a shitload of reports. I always have time to read context, but A/T gets like two reports a week. GBS mods are busy.

Someone not immersed in China poo poo not immediately knowing what HK is or not picking up the significance of other hints like Legco or 2047 doesn't seem weird to me. And I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't live in China to know that in Chinese people call themselves "yellow" as standard practice, it's not offensive. I remember having to explain to my students that they really needed to avoid that in English because it has racial connotations they aren't intending.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

GF you're the golden boy of mods and A/T is the cream of the crop when it comes to subforums. This is an unattainable standard, especially for GBS. Chabuduo reigns here as a necessity.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

idk about sports at all but there is a branch of my family that's been in HK for like 40 years and they are full on die hards for the sevens, and not just for british men getting trashed reasons

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Sir, I take umbrage to this barbarous and rude statement, an insult to our 5000 years of history. I am a Hong Konger, not Chinese. You have crossed my dash lines, intruded on my sovereignty of my internal affairs. Our rear end is not full of poo poo, that is an anti-terrorist vocational camp. I demand an apology to guarantee the safety of Canadians and avoid sanctions on beef.

My name isn't Michael, so I have nothing to worry about.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Is it as much an excuse for fat English expats to drink as I have heard? Are the matches of any decent quality?

yes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

And I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't live in China to know that in Chinese people call themselves "yellow" as standard practice, it's not offensive. I remember having to explain to my students that they really needed to avoid that in English because it has racial connotations they aren't intending.
I can’t speak for your students but to my knowledge it’s really not that common for Chinese people to self-label as “yellow” except in very racialized contexts. I see it come up when people are emphasizing cultural differences (eg. East vs West) but not so much otherwise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I can’t speak for your students but to my knowledge it’s really not that common for Chinese people to self-label as “yellow” except in very racialized contexts. I see it come up when people are emphasizing cultural differences (eg. East vs West) but not so much otherwise.

Well, at least in Chengdu with every Chinese person the topic ever came up with, Asians in general were referred to as "yellow people" in both Chinese and English, as distinct from white people and black people. It was not considered offensive or weird, though I'm like 90% sure that was a term adopted from Europeans who were using it as racist.

E: I think we might be saying the same thing here. It's not like people preferentially use "yellow" instead of "Chinese" for self description but it does get used plenty and is not considered weird or racist.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Ohhh boy, out of curiosity, did you mean it in this sense, the sense of winnie the poo being yellow or that Xi is a coward?
And the sevens can be a bit one sided in the earlier matches but by the time it's mostly just the Pacific islands it rules.