Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oh no I grew Pubics

Daddy is gonna kill me for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Stringent posted:

Did he just come up with that or is it a reference to something?

Onstad makes a lot of weird little references like that, that seem real without being real.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
But also his repertoire of references is incredibly vast and deep

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Halloween Jack posted:

In the end, he chose not to desert the dying man, the man being himself.

if you ask me, he deserted a dying man (himself in the machine) in favor of a still-living man (him going back to bed)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well Bensington, I call you. I know your darkest secret.

You like Hanna-Barbera better than Disney

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I found a talking heads reference in an alt text today and it made me feel special.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could probably get a paper out of Achewood's approach and inclusion of Latino/Mexican culture and what it says about white guys who make craft soda.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

You could probably get a paper out of Achewood's approach and inclusion of Latino/Mexican culture and what it says about white guys who make craft soda.

You could get at least a Masters thesis out of breaking down the comic’s gender representation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could get at least a Masters thesis out of breaking down the comic’s gender representation

It's weird, on the one end you have Molly who is an excellent character, and then on the other hand you have Ultra Peanut who is the worst recurring character in the comic, not to mention whatever the hell Onstad was doing with Tina and Philippe's mom towards the end of the comic

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Nessus posted:

if I remember my onstadt interviews it mostly comes down to different kinds of vanilla

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

drrockso20 posted:

It's weird, on the one end you have Molly who is an excellent character, and then on the other hand you have Ultra Peanut who is the worst recurring character in the comic, not to mention whatever the hell Onstad was doing with Tina and Philippe's mom towards the end of the comic

Okay, I may just be making fart noises here and if I am saying something stupid, please, tell me.

But

Does/Did Onstad really *NEED* to have a balanced gender representation?

Like, most of the main characters can cook. Ray, Roast Beef, Teodor are major foodies, and it even comes up with side characters.
It comes up a lot, because Onstad has a deep interest and knowledge of cooking.

If onstad doesn't really know how to write a female character, should he force it, just for the sake of representation? Which is worse, less female characters, or terribly written ones?
It's his story about anthropomorphic cats and living teddy bears and an otter that is five and will always be five.

Yes, there SHOULD be more stories of, for and by women, as well as minorities/POC (including trans/ Nonbinary/etc) , but I sort of feel that it's better to (not INTENTIONALLY) leave it out, if it's not something you feel you are capable of writing about. Like, not just shoehorned in, or a character who is gay, and that is it's only defining trait.

Edit: Phillpes mother just seemed , to me, to be a certain type of well-off elderly lady. The ones that wear the big hats, and go to brunch with all the other old ladies.
A well-to-do older socialite. It's showing that , while Philippe is five, and will always be five, everything else does not stand still for him. His mother, in his absence, has grown old, and it's been long enough for all the old habits she had for him, to be gone. She had her own life, and he wasn't really much of a part of it.

I mean, it straight up says it. That home is a time, not a place.
Ray and Roast Beef will grow wrinkled, and die. Phillipe will be sad at their passing. He will chase a butterfly and will find a new home, for a time.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 11, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Alternatively, Molly is a literal angel from heaven with super rad coding skills and kinky sex interests who spends her entire run on the comic acting as a surrogate parent for Roast Beef at his least functional and doing poo poo like showering at the gym because Beef forgot to pay the water bill.

She is only ever shown in the context of being Beef’s partner. If she speaks or acts it’s about/because of Roast Beef. We never see her be an individual or have individual experiences or interests without him around, and we literally have strips that center Nice Pete and Pat as main characters. We know a lot more about what drives and motivates Nice Pete than we do Molly and she’s by far the most important female character, literally the spouse of one of the lead protagonists.

Like Achewood couldn’t fail the Bechdel Test any harder without becoming a smut webcomic.

And it doesn’t help that Beef is such an incredibly horrible partner to Molly. He’s awful. Half the time he’s having a personal catastrophe and needs her help, and the other half seems to be about picking fights with her. They live in Ray’s poolhouse and we never see Beef hold down a job for very long, though we’re led to understand that even without Ray’s help various schemes have paid out and netted him an undisclosed amount of income.

He obviously doesn’t mean to be dysfunctional or combative or unstable or unable to self-actualize, but we get no sense of Beef ever seeking treatment for his mental illness either. Heck, the one time we see Beef doing anything remotely resembling therapy, it’s because Molly bought him a daylight for his seasonal mood shifts, which he immediately gives to Todd. He wallows in his poo poo, does nothing to try to get out, and then forces her to live in it too.

And even when he isn’t doing something that would cause a real woman to leave, you’re still left with the canonical fact that Molly left literal Heaven to go live first with Gramma K, and then in Ray’s poolhouse. Forever they will just depend on Ray, never really doing anything or being independent as a couple. Molly falls in love with Beef because of his coding ability and their shared love of computer touching. But aside from that Beef doesn’t seem to bring anything else positive to the table—quite the contrary, a lot of the time we see him behaving in a manner that is actively detrimental to Molly’s happiness and wellbeing.

Now that I’m a decade older than I was the first time going through Achewood, and now that I’ve had the benefit of being both the Beef in a toxic relationship and also the Molly in a toxic relationship, the whole thing with Molly kinda comes across less sweet and touching and more like toxic wish fulfillment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ok Comboomer posted:

Molly falls in love with Beef because of his coding ability and their shared love of computer touching.

This was news to me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ok Comboomer posted:

toxic wish fulfillment.

See also; that time Téodor got a gf briefly, or that time Cornelius got a gf briefly

The healthiest relationship in the strip is honestly Rod and Pat, who are well-written because they're both dudes and Onstad knows how to write them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

oh are we having this conversation again

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I always thought it was really lovely how he never portrayed the rich community life of Welsh agrarian society and just used it as a prop for Little Nephew.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always thought evolving Bensington Butters' trashiness from "puts ketchup, not even Heinz, on his steaks" to literally just drinking ketchup was a bit much. It's like how late Achewood Pat sometimes comes across more like an alien than a weird vegan libertarian with anger issues.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't Molly move back to earth because Heaven burned down?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

little nephew goes to wales is the best storyline, better than the great outdoor fight which was entertaining but nothing like the bit where they invent the toilet and "nacho judas"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
SUCH IS MY LOVE FOR WALES, THAT I MUST ACCEPT YOUR HIDEOUS CHALLENGE!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I BOO THE NACHO AS HIS FATHER is really good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
All of this is just dehumanizing to welshmen.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You could probably get a paper out of Achewood's approach and inclusion of Welsh culture and what it says about white guys who make craft soda.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Phy posted:

It's the end of The Second Party, which is the party I always think of as The Party despite it being The Second Party. Like, I don't remember much from the original party, but this one's got Ray throwing a party just because his toilet bowl is so blue. It's got Pat's loving carob prunes and Todd's shank artistry, it's got "Your activities are so poorly conveyed" and Teodor paying Little Nephew way too much for pot, it's got Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned. It is one of the months of the comic that is densest with Achewood.

The toilet party arc also starts a year to the day before the GOF arc. I don't know why that sticks with me, but it does.

Zereth posted:

Doesn't Molly move back to earth because Heaven burned down?

While the comic doesn't strictly back this up, I always got the impression that Molly hired Trouble Man and No-No to burn down her part of Heaven with her inside, so that she could go back to Earth and be with Roast Beef, which is another point in the "Molly only ever acts because of Beef" column. Trouble Man tells Beef that since Beef died early (like Molly), if he commissions them to murder him in Heaven, he'll get a free pass back to Earth. Since there's no other explanation for the fire, I just assumed Molly had commissioned them to murder her.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Oh yeah like you gonna kill them off Molly

Like you really gonna go all pro ice all of a sudden

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it's not the worst thing in 2003 to write a sausage party webcomic about dudes who know how to cook. it can at least be interesting and funny. but let's not pretend the women are written well, and it's not unreasonable to claim that Onstad only writes the exterior of women as he sees it - the surfaces that are exposed to him via dating, marriage, and child-rearing. he doesn't grasp their interiority the way he does with Ray and Beef

EDIT: the most independent Molly gets to be is those times when Beef encounters her doing some miserable menial job, providing for herself in his absence. not that he provides for her much while he's there, other than via his ability to move into Ray's pool house

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Roast Beef's future involves Molly leaving him thanks to his pilled-out Johnny Cash lifestyle

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

I always thought it was really lovely how he never portrayed the rich community life of Welsh agrarian society and just used it as a prop for Little Nephew.

Stringent posted:

All of this is just dehumanizing to welshmen.

we get it, you think there's "good achewood chat" and "wokescold achewood chat" but doing two of these is less 'cool oldschool internet dude' and more :chloe:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Personally I enjoyed the first comic.

Remember that time Phillipe was standing on it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

disaster pastor posted:

While the comic doesn't strictly back this up, I always got the impression that Molly hired Trouble Man and No-No to burn down her part of Heaven with her inside, so that she could go back to Earth and be with Roast Beef, which is another point in the "Molly only ever acts because of Beef" column. Trouble Man tells Beef that since Beef died early (like Molly), if he commissions them to murder him in Heaven, he'll get a free pass back to Earth. Since there's no other explanation for the fire, I just assumed Molly had commissioned them to murder her.
I assumed it just burned down on its own or because somebody left something risky unattended on the stove, because Heaven in achewood is kinda lovely. As seen by the fact that it, uh, has murderous hobos hanging around in it, for one thing.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from" is probably high on the list of (intentionally) creepy achewood sentences

on the other hand, my sister and I frequently ask each other what's... what's it like to kill someone and how it's kind of like a basketball game

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

At first a little apartment of your own with no rent or mortage to worry about for eternity, with your own soda gun for mixing rude drinks and everything, and the whole collection of -Insert your favorite childhood author, no matter how obscure or rare to find their books are- sounds pretty cool, but then when compared to the limitless experience you'd expect from actual heaven it seems limiting and almost mediocre. Which somehow fits Beef's self-view to a T.

If it wasn't because we saw everyone goes to the same hell (and you get a Subaru Brat when you get there) I'd risk guessing that heaven in Achewood is a sort of Matrix thing where everyone has their own personal vision of it going, seeing with how much it fit what Beef would expect of an afterlife for the likes of him, who is just a humble honest man with not too much money no sir.

I wish Ray had gone to heaven briefly too. I bet his room would've had mad sluts in it. And a tub of sour cream.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

"a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from" is probably high on the list of (intentionally) creepy achewood sentences

on the other hand, my sister and I frequently ask each other what's... what's it like to kill someone and how it's kind of like a basketball game

I wish my sister was cool enough to like Achewood

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

is nice pete bottomless during the basketball game?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MizuZero posted:

yes.

also, Pete's mind's eye perception of the waitress is far and away the best part of the high school pranks arc.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zefiel posted:

I wish Ray had gone to heaven briefly too. I bet his room would've had mad sluts in it. And a tub of sour cream.

and a floor absolutely littered with dropped gerunds

MizuZero posted:

I always parsed it as some kinda spanx compression thing but the beauty of fiction is that he's wearing whatever you want him to wear :wink:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zefiel posted:

At first a little apartment

Rays would be a room filled with sheet cakes getting mashed up around ladies bottoms.

Also, heaven had to downgrade over time. There are a whole lot more people nowdays,

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Rays would be a room filled with sheet cakes getting mashed up around ladies bottoms.

Also, heaven had to downgrade over time. There are a whole lot more people nowdays,

just one giant cake and one giant bottom. Big as the eye can see. Just coming together, over and over and over for eternity. Just smash smash smash smash

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MizuZero posted:

Nice Pete wears tube socks and tank tops during a murder and NOTHING ELSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

just one giant cake and one giant bottom. Big as the eye can see. Just coming together, over and over and over for eternity. Just smash smash smash smash

High in the North in a land called Svithjod there is a sheet cake.
It is a hundred miles long and a hundred miles wide.
And once every thousand years a big booty lady comes to this cake to mush it, once, with her dumper.
When the cake has thus been worn away a single day of eternity will have passed.