Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God you guys remember charging something and then flying off into the sunset or dropping into the void

good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Burkion posted:

God you guys remember charging something and then flying off into the sunset or dropping into the void

good times

Kai Leng should have been Jacob. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Kai Leng should have been Jacob. :colbert:

Jacob told me we'd be together forever.

But the liiiiiiies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
mass effect andromeda is a poo poo game

just let the series die

dont make more mass effect please

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Moola posted:

mass effect andromeda is a poo poo game

just let the series die

dont make more mass effect please

make more mass effect, but good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

no mas effect

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

That’s not all though, Hudson also confirmed that a ‘veteran team’ (i.e. not the scrubs that made Mass Effect: Andromeda) is already working on ‘the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe’. The artwork above is not labelled on the blog but it’s filename refers to the ship as a ‘mud skipper’, which is not something from the original trilogy – so this could well be our first ever look at Mass Effect 4.

The new game is described as being in the early stages of development but there seems a good chance that it will use saved data from the original trilogy, now that they’re available on modern formats again.

That means BioWare is currently working on both the remasters, Mass Effect 4, a new Dragon Age, and continuing support for Anthem and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/07/mass-effect-legendary-edition-remaster-and-mass-effect-4-confirmed-13555178/?ito=cbshare

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

yeah that's surely not a recipe for new heights for Gamer Food.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

That’s not all though, Hudson also confirmed that a ‘veteran team’ (i.e. not the scrubs that made Mass Effect: Andromeda) is already working on ‘the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe’.

The team that made Andromeda could well be considered "veteran" at this point. The author of this article is reading their own hopes and dreams into vague corporate speech.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Commander Shepard had veteran teams, and they were
1) utterly destroyed by the collectors in ten minutes
2) collectively annihilated in the suicide mission

really makes u think

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

Commander Shepard had veteran teams, and they were
1) utterly destroyed by the collectors in ten minutes
2) collectively annihilated in the suicide mission

really makes u think

How could this happen?! I picked thane to render the vents!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Same reason BioWare picked an algorithm to render facial animation

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Same reason BioWare picked an algorithm to render facial animation

my face is tired from removing me3mp

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Reminder that in ME2 you can get drunk and the drunker you get the younger Matriarch Aethyta looks which means that a gag in ME2 had more faces than all the asari in MEA

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that's going to be an lol from me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the 4th mass effect game had 1 asari face model

(technically 2)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One.

The other face was a refurbished Shrek model painted blue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What always confuses me is that MEA is the one that introduced out and out nudity to the games

well R rated nudity so no dongs

But they seemingly made an overt choice to make most of the romance options...not ugly, but not 'traditional video game waifuy' like the past ones. It's almost cool but then it doesn't actually amount to anything. Also the fact that only certain characters get a sex scene while others don't is dumb.

Shag all aliens

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Burkion posted:

But they seemingly made an overt choice to make most of the romance options...not ugly, but not 'traditional video game waifuy' like the past ones. It's almost cool but then it doesn't actually amount to anything.

This is the face model for Sara Ryder:

https://www.instagram.com/jaydekat/?hl=en

I don't think there was any attempt to do anything other than to make video game equivalent of a CW cast. They just sucked at making faces.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 10, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

kilus aof posted:

I don't think there way any attempt to do anything other than to make video game equivalent of a CW cast. They just sucked at making faces.

Posting so you can use my avatar as quick comparison.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kilus aof posted:

I don't think there was any attempt to do anything other than to make video game equivalent of a CW cast. They just sucked at making faces.

That's a complete misunderstanding of how human faces work what the hell game devs

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

That's a complete misunderstanding of how human faces work what the hell game devs

The game devs have never seen a human face before, only had them described to them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Wasn't there a one off gag where your engineer and the andromeda alien are walking around naked and you can't get a good explanation out of either of them as to *why* they were just wandering around naked other than the devs wanted to show off naked models?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kurieg posted:

Wasn't there a one off gag where your engineer and the andromeda alien are walking around naked and you can't get a good explanation out of either of them as to *why* they were just wandering around naked other than the devs wanted to show off naked models?

I remember that sequence, and they gave an explanation that it was for some cultural exchange or something. Not that two aliens were wanting to bone.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

One.

The other face was a refurbished Shrek model painted blue.

please dont make things up this isnt true be fair

it was a refurbished face from Megamind

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
They also during development changed all the krogan except for Drack to have a lighter colour palette and softer features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LPhG7L1qM

Because the audience wouldn't get that krogans can be botanists and stuff if they were scary looking.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If they didn't spend four of the game's five years of development on a system that was never going to work and wouldn't have fit with Bioware's storytelling style even if it had worked maybe they could have found the time to import the already existing faces into Frostbite.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kilus aof posted:

They also during development changed all the krogan except for Drack to have a lighter colour palette and softer features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LPhG7L1qM

Because the audience wouldn't get that krogans can be botanists and stuff if they were scary looking.

how?

how?!?!

HOW IS EVERYTHING FROM THE ALPHA VERSION BETTER LOOKING?!?!?!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Wow, Frostbite really hosed them didn't it?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

womb with a view posted:

Nah, dicking around trying to make random generated planets in a ME game for 4 out of 5 years of development screwed them over.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

womb with a view posted:

Actually it was their internal management. Schreier’s article does a good job of chronicling it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Frostbite hosed over Bioware" is the final stage of bargaining before acceptance.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I mean I know generally that every single facet of the production was tragically, entirely hosed, but wasn't that Unreal in the alpha footage?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
him?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
All we needed ME4 to be was 'We won, but at what cost? And now what?'

"On the remote planet of whatever, a remote colony hides a unique scientific endeavor. Human, Salarian, Turian, Asari, Quarian and even Krogan scientists, working away from the prying eyes of the Council, have spent years attempting to crack the secrets of FTL travel without using the Mass Effect relays. Ten years ago, their last communication was a report that the Reapers were assaulting the Citadel. Then, their instruments detected a massive explosion that could only be the destruction of their relay.

Now, finally, their experimental ship, the Magellan, is ready for testing. Crewed by brave volunteers, they have no idea what they're going to find beyond their system. Their experimental drive is slow and balky, but it's a chance to discover what happened."

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What is this, a sequel for ants? This pitch needs to be....three times as horny!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

Actually it was their internal management. Schreier’s article does a good job of chronicling it.
It also chronicles that, yes, Frostbite added another "hosed them" layer on top.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

El_Elegante posted:

What is this, a sequel for ants? This pitch needs to be....three times as horny!

“....and on the long journey between systems, we’ll bang, ok?”

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
do you think they'll invent a new all powerful evil race that wants to wipe out all life? Or just bring the reapers back again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

do you think they'll invent a new all powerful evil race that wants to wipe out all life? Or just bring the reapers back again?

It will be reapers again