Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

therobit posted:

They are probably talking about the cords being cut.

That’s what I figured, but I couldn’t resist being pedantic about it.

quote:

Well fitted storm windows will give you efficiency almost equivalent to brand new vinyl windows. Although, they do mean you can't open the window for air in the winter and then in the spring you need to change them out for screens. I still probably wouldn't replace a whole house of windows if I could avoid it.

We’re considering storm panes for the northern-facing windows because those get brutalized the most during the winter and that’s where all the wind and drafts come from. Also I’ve found evidence that our front entrance used to have outer storm or screen doors so that’ll be another thing to look into (front entrance is a big source of draftiness despite being a vestibule with two layers of door, but mostly just needs new weatherstripping).

But yeah, I’ve done a bunch of research on improving energy efficiency in my old house, and mass replacement of windows is pretty much the worst ROI. Yes, you will save energy and your house will be more comfortable, but new windows are so expensive that they’ll never pay for themselves before they need to be replaced again. Adding/redoing insulation is a much better ROI because it’s way cheaper than new windows and most old houses had jackshit for insulation so you get huge gains there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Queen Victorian posted:

I’ve done a bunch of research on improving energy efficiency in my old house, and mass replacement of windows is pretty much the worst ROI.
As an ex-window installer this is true, think about it, how many feet of windows do you have compared to walls? 10%, or less?

Yeah, a top of the line replacement window or door spray foamed in, will make your house airtight to a degree, and that's great, but if your walls and attic or the sill of your crawlspace/basement are under-insulated or leaky, that's worse.

Apparently where the walls meet the foundation are notoriously leaky on most houses and I've compared bills from attic insulation jobs and it helps a lot.

Tauton's build like a pro series seems good, I own their insulating book.

One time someone balked at a $2000+ door and we straight up told them they could just put in 5-10 cheaper doors over the years for the same price if needed and consider their age, and they appreciated the advice.

Another anecdote: when my old land lady replaced our old painted shut windows with cheapo vinyl, our bills went up, but at least we could escape easier in a fire!

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 9, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

Well fitted storm windows will give you efficiency almost equivalent to brand new vinyl windows.

They really won't. I grew up in houses with those and there is no comparison to even the lowest of low end modern double pane windows.

Also, one of the biggest losses is AROUND the windows. With old style windows that have counterweights you can't do what is considered best practice for air sealing and insulating a window: finishing with low ex spray foam before installing the trim.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The newer ones at least offer similar performance according to the Department of Energy

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was just logging expenses and apparently I spent $100 fixing my drafty back door, including a far too expensive pry bar. That'll never pay off, but it's nice not to have a cold spot by the kitchen table.

Someday I'll replace the aluminum windows on the second floor, that the glass units have all failed on. It won't ever pay off, but it'll be nice just to make the bedrooms a little more comfortable and quieter. The main cost right now is that someone is at home all day and we don't let the heat drop mid day.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm replacing a bunch of painted shut wooden single glazed windows in my place right now, and the main driver for me isn't really the added thermal insulation, it's the soundproofing. Modern uPVC double glazing is far better at dampening traffic noise.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp. Hired a recommended pest control person to help with the roach issue we've been having. They suggested a outdoor treatment of "Talstar P" ( https://www.domyown.com/talstar-professional-insecticide-p-97.html ) "to the outside edge of the house and into the crawl space vents". I asked if they needed to get into the crawl space - nope. We told them (and they saw) we have small children who play in the yard and such so we need to make sure things are safe. No problem. He goes off to do his thing, and I look outside to see him carpet bombing all edges of our grass, patio, sidewalks, etc which is covered in childrens toys. This was well away from the described area of work, which we were very clear on in person. The toys got wet.

How big of a deal is this? We have a 1 and 4 year old, so it's not like I can say "don't eat the grass" to the 1 year old. It's various materials - sidewalk chalk, metal, rubber, and plastics on scooters/tricycle/bicycle (all three!). I assume the chalk is just trash now, can the other things be cleaned with soap and water? I am pretty sure they didn't hit our fruit trees but it's really hard to know, I wasn't standing there staring at him the whole time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think you're overestimating the effectiveness of insecticide on humans, but your concern is understandable. Read through the label on domyown to see their own warnings. I looked through it and it looks like most of it is in regards to consuming it directly, or direct application to pets and crops.

Once the spray dries you're good to go and it's pet and child safe for the most part. You should try to avoid eating things covered by it as much as possible, obviously.

I would wash the toys off with soap and hot water and some scrubbing and try to keep your kids from eating grass and licking the sidewalk. You could also mow your grass lower to reduce the amount of grass available to eat.

I use Talstar P and a few other pesticides and my dumb dog ate some grass after a recent application had dried and she didn't have any adverse affects I could notice. She weighs 30 pounds for reference.

In any case I would buy a 2-5 gallon sprayer and do your next application yourself so you don't run into this again. It's not hard and you can avoid areas you know your family spends time on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

How big of a deal is this?

Talstar P is one of the most commonly used pesticides. It's a neurotoxin and quite nasty when wet. Cats lack the enzymes in their livers to process it, but most other mammals are fine.

Once it's dry it's largely inert to anything other than bugs.

I agree with SpartanIvy - for both your own peace of mind and cost, just do this yourself. That way you know you're not spraying things that, even while it should be fine, you don't want getting sprayed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thank you both. I was just trying to set my bearings because I legitimately didn't know. We washed off the toys and ironically the gardeners came an hour later and mowed down the grass. We tossed the permeable stuff since stopping the baby from eating it is never going to happen and it's like $10 total in stuff, easy peace of mind. I was furious that he did a ton of area that wasn't described, definitely mowing down the substantial bee population we used to have on our flowering native garden. He then had the audacity to say "well the toys were in the way" basically, when no one said "hey please pickup those toys, they're going to get sprayed" (10' away from the area to be treated, which the label says 3' up 2' out from the base of the house.

I asked about the fruit trees and he said he didn't get to that area because I stopped him. The SDS specifically says not to spray fruit bearing trees for consumption that season. I presume our sandbox also would have been sprayed.

The whole point in hiring someone is so it gets done. Next you're going to tell me to mow my postage stamp sized lawn or scrub my own toilet. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There's two options in home ownership. Do it yourself and have only yourself to blame when it's wrong, or pay someone else to do it wrong for you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

StormDrain posted:

There's two options in home ownership. Do it yourself and have only yourself to blame when it's wrong, or pay someone else to do it wrong for you.

I need this crocheted and hanging in my living room

Also for me homeownership is buying $300 of tools to avoid paying someone $100 to do a $30 job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

He then had the audacity to say "well the toys were in the way" basically, when no one said "hey please pickup those toys, they're going to get sprayed" (10' away from the area to be treated, which the label says 3' up 2' out from the base of the house.

I asked about the fruit trees and he said he didn't get to that area because I stopped him. The SDS specifically says not to spray fruit bearing trees for consumption that season. I presume our sandbox also would have been sprayed.

The whole point in hiring someone is so it gets done. Next you're going to tell me to mow my postage stamp sized lawn or scrub my own toilet. :v:

Okay, lemmie tell you about how this works. I just had to re-cert for my pesticide license last year. The testing class was mostly a bunch of dudes from exterminators and pesticide companies that were obviously still hung over and/or needing their next fix. From the chatter, a significant number of them were on at least their second attempt.

Even taking pesticides and licensure out of the mix, you can't get a "landscaper" (the kind that basically just mow grass) to get off their riding mower to not run over dog/kids toys. As hard as i tried back in the day when i was a landscaper I could not reliable hire people who would act appropriately because you simply can't charge enough to get good help and still be profitable.

It was all so much better when it was just a 2-man show, me and my buddy who started it. But again, you can't really make enough money that way so you have to scale when you're not doing this as a high school side job anymore.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SpartanIvy posted:

I need this crocheted and hanging in my living room

Also for me homeownership is buying $300 of tools to avoid paying someone $100 to do a $30 job.
This was too perfect and the thread title hasn't been updated in a while. Grats.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Okay, lemmie tell you about how this works. I just had to re-cert for my pesticide license last year. The testing class was mostly a bunch of dudes from exterminators and pesticide companies that were obviously still hung over and/or needing their next fix. From the chatter, a significant number of them were on at least their second attempt.

Even taking pesticides and licensure out of the mix, you can't get a "landscaper" (the kind that basically just mow grass) to get off their riding mower to not run over dog/kids toys. As hard as i tried back in the day when i was a landscaper I could not reliable hire people who would act appropriately because you simply can't charge enough to get good help and still be profitable.

It was all so much better when it was just a 2-man show, me and my buddy who started it. But again, you can't really make enough money that way so you have to scale when you're not doing this as a high school side job anymore.

Oh I know, this guy didn't give 2 shits and definitely was hung over. It was a dedicated pest control company, local, well reviewed, etc. Our mow-and-blow guys are really good about moving the toys but also the worst thing that happens is there is sometimes a hilarious patch of grass that is 6" tall because it hasn't been mowed due to the toy-pile landing there. They also don't string-trim down our just recently flowered plants, trim them at the right time of the year, etc. It blows my mind the value we get for the money paid.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The new title is fabulous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Oh I know, this guy didn't give 2 shits and definitely was hung over. It was a dedicated pest control company, local, well reviewed, etc. Our mow-and-blow guys are really good about moving the toys but also the worst thing that happens is there is sometimes a hilarious patch of grass that is 6" tall because it hasn't been mowed due to the toy-pile landing there. They also don't string-trim down our just recently flowered plants, trim them at the right time of the year, etc. It blows my mind the value we get for the money paid.

Then you have gotten lucky with the mow and blow guys available to you. I tried to keep some semblance of that with the crews we ran.

I just keep my own cabinet full of scary poo poo. Note the Talstar P right up front.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Then you have gotten lucky with the mow and blow guys available to you.

It is luck, these are the third ones or so. The previous ones couldn't even do extra hourly work even with the usual "ask three times, hope it gets done once" understanding of quality. "Yo, sell me a truckload of redwood mulch, and charge me for a trip to spread it around" was apparently a bridge too far. I just want to trade money for goods and services. :cloud:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I just want to trade money for goods and services. :cloud:

StormDrain posted:

This is my excuse to have a fleet of equipment and a dump trailer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Please be careful not to ever let your or anyone else's wife learn this information. The results for men in America would be dire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

Please be careful not to ever let your or anyone else's wife learn this information. The results for men in America would be dire.

Sorry, but she knows and plays along. I can ask her not to tell anyone else.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

How do you feel about driving west 30-40 minutes? There's a few other goons here, and I homebrew enough beer to cover all of us.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

It's a solid justification. I was daydreaming about renting a tractor to grade the 15' strip on the side of my house for a while today. Maybe I'll do it this spring.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Queen Victorian posted:

PS: how do you break a counterweight? They are just hunks of iron.

It’s been a few years since I last ripped one out, but I think the mechanism in mine is something more akin to a tape balance than a pulley counterweight. But that got knackered all good and proper just by lifting the window one day, and by the time I got the trim out it was just as easy to replace the whole jeezless thing. Several of the upstairs windows are similarly putzed but I hate ladders, so someone else is gonna hafta eventually replace those for me.

It’s not even an easily replaceable balance, it’s built into the frame if I recall correctly.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
On the subject of mulch:

Is there any way to avoid weird bullshit?

PO had pine straw that hadn't been replenished in forever, so we replaced it with mulch. Worked fine for a while, we were buying bags of the dyed crap at the hardware store. Occasionally had some slime fungus, but very rare.

Had the whole front and side re-landscaped last spring, and gently caress me. They mulched everything, about 9 cubic yards worth. First issue: a poo poo-ton of box elder bugs. I mean, they're not harmful, but they were goddamn everywhere. Exterminator took care of them a while ago.

Second issue, mold/fungus like we've never seen. Slime mold in a few spots, but that goes away. The main issue is artillery fungus... didn't know what it was until it had spread out of control, now takes up about 70% of 2 of the large beds, definitely have some spores on the siding.

Also had some strange phallus-looking fungus in one area. Gray top with a red/orange shaft. Attracts tons of flies. Google tells me that this is Phallus rubicundus.

Is bagged mulch the only way to avoid this sort of issue? Or is this a crapshoot no matter what?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DaveSauce posted:

On the subject of mulch:

PO had pine straw that hadn't been replenished in forever, so we replaced it with mulch. Worked fine for a while, we were buying bags of the dyed crap at the hardware store. Occasionally had some slime fungus, but very rare.

Had the whole front and side re-landscaped last spring, and gently caress me. They mulched everything, about 9 cubic yards worth. First issue: a poo poo-ton of box elder bugs. I mean, they're not harmful, but they were goddamn everywhere. Exterminator took care of them a while ago.

Second issue, mold/fungus like we've never seen. Slime mold in a few spots, but that goes away. The main issue is artillery fungus... didn't know what it was until it had spread out of control, now takes up about 70% of 2 of the large beds, definitely have some spores on the siding.

Also had some strange phallus-looking fungus in one area. Gray top with a red/orange shaft. Attracts tons of flies. Google tells me that this is Phallus rubicundus.

Is bagged mulch the only way to avoid this sort of issue? Or is this a crapshoot no matter what?

The fungi suggests more of a moisture problem, which is basically just too much mulch. Both the stinkhorn and the artillery fungus are more unsightly and gross than dangerous.

I had stinkhorns in my garden this year and I thought they were fascinating... at least as far as mushrooms shaped like a slimy dog dick that smell so bad they attract flies go.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 11, 2020

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Chad Sexington posted:

The fungi suggests more of a moisture problem, which is basically just too much mulch. Both the stinkhorn and the artillery fungus are more unsightly and gross than dangerous.

I had stinkhorns in my garden this year and I thought they were fascinating... at least as far as mushrooms shaped like a slimy dog dick that smell so bad they attract flies go.

Interesting. I figured we always went overboard with the bagged stuff, and that the landscaper was more likely to put an appropriate amount down. I had assumed that the fungus, like the bugs, came in with the bulk mulch since we never had issue with them before.

The stinkhorns are cool looking, at least the ones that are brightly colored. Just the other day we found a couple in a different bed, but they were more olive drab colored, like someone had planted a cheap dildo.

But the artillery fungus, from what I've read, can really do a number on siding. The spores are apparently really hard to remove, so I'd like to avoid this in the future.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress. Our shower is leaking in to our living room again. Last time, it was an issue with the caulking around the shower door, which I fixed myself after we had a plumber come out and water mitigation people come out and make sure there wasn't a more serious leak. I also ended up recaulking the bottom part of our shower completely after that. We were planning on repainting our living room to fix the water damage, but should my first step in this case be to hire someone to do a very good/thorough job of resealing the shower completely?

quote:

Here's the quote I got:

Clear out shower drain. Clean prep and detail grout and tile for sealing and repair. Remove all loose, cracked and failed grout. Remove all bad caulk. Install our resin based colored sealant into new grout mix and existing grout lines. Replace grout and caulk as needed. Clean and buff to finish. All natural stone will receive multiple applications of our clear solvent sealer for deep protection.

For $600. Seem ok?

Shower resealed, no more leak! Apparently I'm a lovely DIY shower resealer.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what'd you do about the water damage or mold in/above your living room ceiling?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pmchem posted:

what'd you do about the water damage or mold in/above your living room ceiling?

Water mitigation guy said it was a recent thing/didn't find moisture in the ceiling, so hopefully minimal/no mold.

Going to have to repaint the ceiling/living room/dining room.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

How do you feel about driving west 30-40 minutes? There's a few other goons here, and I homebrew enough beer to cover all of us.

That's just what we need - a goon meet with heavy equipment and beer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

That's just what we need - a goon meet with heavy equipment and beer.

That sounds 10x better than any previous goon meet I've been to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:killdozer: + :guinness: + :gooncamp: = :cry:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
My main issue with Bifenthrin is that it only lasts 1.5 months once sprayed :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Saw this in TFR’s deals thread and thought of you homeowners:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pretty wild sale going on for tools at Home Depot:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14522918-d...9-at-home-depot

It's basically, buy a tool, charger, large Ah battery (usually like $120 itself), bag for $199 and you get to pick a free tool.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That's no more significant than any other Black Friday discount that's often seen, but it's worth checking out if you do need more tools :)

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Bought a little giant multi ladder based off remembering people talk about it in this thread, plus it being on sale at Home Depot.

Works pretty well, pretty happy with it being my only ladder.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have one that I like too, great for when you need an uneven ladder like stairs or a slope, and a nice compact extension ladder too. Heavy though. I usually still grab the 6ft fiberglass ladder for around the house.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DaveSauce posted:

On the subject of mulch:

You can buy properly prepared bulk mulch that has cooked long enough to kill everything inside and attached to it. It gets hot enough to catch itself on fire. That said, rocks last forever if you don't care about keeping bulbs warm or fertilizing trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Imagine three switches on the edge of a cliff in my entrance hallway:

If the stair light is on and the entry light is off, turning on the porch light works.
If the stair light is off and the entry light is on, turning on the porch light works.
If both stairs and entry are on, turning on the porch light doesn't work.
If the porch light is flipped to on (even if it doesn't work) and you turn off one of the other two that are on, the porch light turns on.
If the porch light is already on and you turn on the other two, the porch light stays on and the others work too.
If you turn off the porch light from that state and then try to turn it back on, it won't turn on until you turn off one of the other two.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this cabbage and goat across the river and I'll finally have my electrical problems sorted.