Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Some of it's good, some of it's not. I actually quite liked this last issue of X-Men and feel like it rendered all of the previous worldbuilding-dumps kinda redundant.

Also did I miss something big, or what does Saturnyne wanting to bang Brian have to do with the whole "Arakko marches forth to reclaim Krakoa and kill everyone on earth" thing. I thought Saturnyne's only influence was that she turned it from an impending apocalyptic war into a tournament of champions, and like if Saturnyne hadn't intervened there would have been a massacre regardless.

But I'll admit to things often going over my head in stories like this. I definitely zoned out through a few parts, including most of the Excalibur issue. I remember Saturnyne wanting to nail Brian but I don't remember it actually meaning anything as part of the wider story.
I don't think Brian boning Saturnyne is an actual fulcrum to the conflict. It's extremely on-brand for Logan to see things in terms of simple, vulgar melodrama, and to key in on Saturnyne/Brian's history as the lynchpin of everything when really it's just another variable. That's why they have him going all goofus and trying to stab her, even though he cleared it with Ororo first. The entire role he's playing is that of the slob, the brute, the blunt instrument. His tarot card, his opponent, getting his sword, everything points to him getting humiliated bad throughout the whole event.

E-- It's also a metatextual commentary on how the "old" rules of 70s-90s X-Men stories where Logan would be right don't apply here. No, X of Swords is much more sophisticated and grander and more complex. It's good stuff, really.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saturnyne is probably powerful enough to where she could stop and destroy Arakko, which is why Logan says Brian could end it if he slept with her. Logan's wrong though, because all that would do would lessen Brian and give Saturnyne what she wants and she'd always hang that over him. And there is the possibility that Saturnyne may not be powerful enough to stop them, which is why she set up the game. She's also rigged it to favor the X-Men, but in a way where she can deny it.

We haven't come back to the Summers Mystery Team finding the Peak yet, and that's likely going to play into this. And Saturnyne set them up to find it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm only keeping up with X-Men and Marauders, and will get the whole thing via MU, but I'm appreciative of the big adventure crossovers that don't hype up "everything will change!"

Also, the issue with Storm in Wakanda was as close to a classic Claremont x-book I've seen in years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah "Storm commits a war crime because she's antsy" was no-joke a fantastic issue. Absolutely firing on all cylinders on that one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Finally catching up with this week's comics. Marauders was not on point this time. I understand what Gerry Duggan et al were trying to do, but nobody has written Logan like this in several years. It's a regression and a cheap one at that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saoshyant posted:

Finally catching up with this week's comics. Marauders was not on point this time. I understand what Gerry Duggan et al were trying to do, but nobody has written Logan like this in several years. It's a regression and a cheap one at that.

Hell Duggan's never written Wolverine like this.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Benjamin Percy is credited as a co-writer on this issue so I wouldn't be surprised if he handled the Wolverine stuff since he's writing the main Wolverine book and X-Force.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've been trying to catch up on stuff so I can start XoS and I've found some of the Dawn of X stuff to be less friendly to new readers than I expected.

Hickman's main title has been fine for some issues but I felt a bit lost for the issues dealing with Broo and I had no idea at all what was going on with Vulcan in #9. Excalibur was a little better in that it has a consistent focus, and while I really liked the first issue of X-Factor I didn't really get the Mojoworld stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

To understand the Vulcan stuff, you need to know what happened in War of Kings, and then what Hickman did with Black Bolt in Fantastic Four. And even then we're still in the dark on him, so not getting what's going on with him is to be expected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in summary: vulcan didn't die during war of kings, he's trying to do better, and he's a ticking time bomb.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1326209192194002944

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I will definitely read this out of fascination, but I can't imagine it will be amazing. If it's retconned that they are related very rude to not let Adam live on the moon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah finally the Adam-X the X-Treme story we've been waiting for!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was Adam X dead before now, and has he been shown in any background shots? They might have just not resurrected him yet. Though again, if he's related to the Summers that's kinda lovely to do to him.

Who would be the most insulting mutant to find out they brought back before you? The one who, when you came back you'd be like, "really them? Before me?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Who would be the most insulting mutant to find out they brought back before you? The one who, when you came back you'd be like, "really them? Before me?"

Like all of the MLF?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Was Adam X dead before now, and has he been shown in any background shots? They might have just not resurrected him yet. Though again, if he's related to the Summers that's kinda lovely to do to him.

The first paragraph answers the second?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I've talked about liking Greycrow way more than I thought I would, but imagine being a morlock and finding out they brought back a marauder assassian before they brought you back. I would not feel comfortable on Krakoa at all after that. And we know they have already started talking about/thinking about bringing back those marauders.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Adam-X (The X-TREME) was last seen before Krakoa during Fear Itself, trying to help the X-Men stop the Asgardian-Powered Juggernaut.

He's popped up twice so far in the Krakoa era -- once in a group shot of Beast perp-walking Colossus in X-Force #12, and then in a text piece in X-Factor #3 where he's apparently a popular streamer in Mojoworld where he does commentaries over atrocity videos, I guess?

I know the press release says these are "in continuity", but it sounds so much like the "_______ Forever" series that Marvel did like ten years ago, where the original creators do out-of-mainline-continuity comics about how THEY would have resolved these storylines had they not left their respective books.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in summary: vulcan didn't die during war of kings, he's trying to do better, and he's a ticking time bomb.

And the explosion that they thought killed him opened a rift in the universe to a universe where Death was killed and all life mutated into a Cthulu inspired Cancerverse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I know the press release says these are "in continuity", but it sounds so much like the "_______ Forever" series that Marvel did like ten years ago, where the original creators do out-of-mainline-continuity comics about how THEY would have resolved these storylines had they not left their respective books.
Yeah this whole thing reads like they're going to trial balloon it and if "Adam-X as a Summers" catches on they'll say "Yup it's continuity" and then leave the DoX crew to sort it out, and if it doesn't they'll go "well this is just a series to see what could have been."

I'm probably wrong, but that's how the press release reads to me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hickman's main title has been fine for some issues but I felt a bit lost for the issues dealing with Broo and I had no idea at all what was going on with Vulcan in #9. Excalibur was a little better in that it has a consistent focus, and while I really liked the first issue of X-Factor I didn't really get the Mojoworld stuff.
Yeah Hickman relies a lot on the audience understanding shorthand and being comfortable not getting filled in on backstory, because it's honestly irrelevant to the story at hand. You don't need to get Broo beyond "he's like the bad aliens, but cute and in a suit and the X-Men seem to like him." You don't need to really know dick about War of Kings or Cancerverse stuff to get that Vulcan is powerful, unstable, feeling a bit alienated, mistrustful of himself, and really really moody about it. Mojoworld doesn't need context beyond "Reality TV world" because the author is trusting you've seen enough other media in some form to get things like livestreams, twitter feeds, shady content managers, and gladiator-style fights on their face.

I agree they could be better at grounding the reader with some throwaway exposition, like they really could, but as long as you don't cling to the idea that you "need" to know everything and just need to be in the moment, it's easy enough to follow.

Now if the long-term payoff is worth this tradeoff... that's the real question.

I think it largely will be

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And the explosion that they thought killed him opened a rift in the universe to a universe where Death was killed and all life mutated into a Cthulu inspired Cancerverse.

Thanos Imperative was so loving good. :allears:

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Today’s new issues were weird and surreal, what the hell. Not at all what I expected. I genuinely have no idea where this is going and I haven’t said that about X-Men in a very long time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Today’s new issues were weird and surreal, what the hell. Not at all what I expected. I genuinely have no idea where this is going and I haven’t said that about X-Men in a very long time.

I thought you were exaggerating. If anything, you did not and (could not) impart how completely bonkers absurd this week's issues were.

It's either a brilliant move that will be talked for years or one of the editors thought going full dadaist in a middle of a crossover for "le memes" would do wonders for sales.

Either way, I have to keep going to know where this train will stop.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh. Again, this is just every single issue of Excalibur for me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What the hell was all that? I guess they want readers to be as outraged as the characters? This whole thing is annoying at this point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yes, let's bog down the most successful relaunch in recent memory with an interminable crossover.

At least Magik is fun, resuming her old role as Doug's snarky big sister.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Didn't expect this to actually be a series of one v ones, so I'm not surprised in as far as that.

And given his card, Doug and Bei went right about where I was expecting, but that's a match that should have been building in the background of other books and actually happened in like another 2 chapters at least.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know who made the executive decision to have the serious tournament turn out to be a comedy series, but I'm all about it actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, this isn't what I was expecting, but I'm enjoying it. I have the strongest suspicion that Saturnyne is really screwing over the Krakoans, though!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh, did they already address Vulcan is alive in space while the reincarnated one is rolling around too thing already? I figured that was way down the road (Unlimited reader currently).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rick posted:

Oh, did they already address Vulcan is alive in space while the reincarnated one is rolling around too thing already? I figured that was way down the road (Unlimited reader currently).

They're saying that the Vulcan on Krakoa is the one that was in space and he wasn't reincarnated.

Yeah, X of Swords being some wacky stuff is a lot better than being a dead serious tournament, I think.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I definitely thought the hijinks this week were a nice change of pace from the EPIC FANTASY LEGEND OF THE FIRST MUTANT NATION'S ISOLATION IN A DARK DEMONIC DIMENSION BY AN ANCIENT yadda yadda yadda, but I'm still not sold on the appeal of this weird tangent, especially when I'm still keen on exploring any of the various Damocleses that float over the Krakoan experiment as a whole

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

They're saying that the Vulcan on Krakoa is the one that was in space and he wasn't reincarnated.

Wait, I thought Vulcan was reincarnated, but only after weird, inter-dimensional aliens messed with his essence to make him a ticking time bomb.

Or something like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

No, the Empyre issue of X-Men was the last issue to have anything involving Vulcan. Now we're all about swords and Pogg-Ur-Pogg and Saturnyne being "that bitch."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
X-Men was fantastic this week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say Wolverine confused me when they started showing the scores until I realized the wedding was a tie.

What's Saturnyne's problem with Storm, or does she just know Storm was okay with Wolverine's plan to kill her?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What's Saturnyne's problem with Storm, or does she just know Storm was okay with Wolverine's plan to kill her?

I think it's implied Storm was a conspirator in said plan. It does seem it was just her and Logan, though. The other (more violent, even) members in the team didn't get any personal attention from Saturnyne.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't mind Saturnyne playing with the Krakoans and turning the tournamente into odd games, but it does feel like too much to see it on 3 consecutive issues. I hope next week it's not the same.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Apocalypse vs Annihilation: Custody Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I'm torn. I really like these issues individually, but as an event it can eat my taint. The pacing is way off and they keep swerving the audience for no good reason.

Again-- it's not "subversive" or "surprising" when your audience is already on-board with your original pitch.

There is nothing shameful about advertising a pepperoni pizza, making a pepperoni pizza, and then giving that pepperoni pizza to your customers.

I get that it must be a nightmare to co-ordinate across all these books and creative teams while keeping things consistent. Really, respect to the editing team for overseeing that and making X of Swords as good as its been. They deserve credit. But in the future they need to learn to balance their poo poo out.

X of Swords as a "dumb" counterweight to the very heady first year of DoX, a chance to really circle everyone back up and move to the next step together, is exactly what the franchise needs right now. Taking all of these good ideas and executing them so haphazardly, screwing with audience expectations... it's very disappointing.