Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I've heard of cloud storage but this is ridiculous!

Xbox is about to become the new water vaporizor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For what it's worth I really like my Samsung SSD in terms of build quality and how it's been. Then again I'm not sure if SSDs have gotten to the point where like flash drives, even a store brand one, is fine.

I think generally they're all fine, you can prioritize price without worrying about buying a lemon. But there can be significant speed differences between different SSDs, so read reviews if you want to get the most bang for your buck and saturate the USB connection.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If buying a sata ssd unless an 860 evo is the same price get an mx500 or wdblue

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best bang / $ external drive? The ~$100 I'm seeing for 500GB feels really steep, given that you can get a 1TB internal PCIe for that cost.

$67 for 1tb, then you need an enclosure is the best at the moment I think if you're getting ssd.
https://www.newegg.com/team-group-1tb-cx2/p/N82E16820331561

Edit: here's the Digital Foundry video where they compare.
https://youtu.be/7y-Fy1Q2O2k

And the sata-usb adaptor they use/recommend
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017NIDXF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_.CcRFb5PPFYEX

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 11, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

$67 for 1tb, then you need an enclosure is the best at the moment I think if you're getting ssd.

This is a good deal imo

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The official add on SSD already went on sale at Target for like $195 within weeks of it coming out. I could see it being available at $170~ or so during the holidays. I think I’ll jump on that. Plus you can run Series X games on it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Biodome posted:

The official add on SSD already went on sale at Target for like $195 within weeks of it coming out. I could see it being available at $170~ or so during the holidays. I think I’ll jump on that. Plus you can run Series X games on it.

Yeah I'll get that, but if how fast I filled up this one terabyte internal is any indication I'll still need an external for backwards compatible games.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Got my Xbox SeX delivered today. Motherfucker is a flying machine. Cool touch is that, after transferring Dead by Daylight from my external drive onto the internal, it's downloading an update but it says"Upgrading".

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Is there an easy way to look for games from the original xbox in the shop? I just want to see what's available from that time and can't seem to find the right search filter.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think this is everything. https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/backward-compatibilty?cat=xboxOG

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe the most disappointing Xbox one fact I’ve learned in the 5 days I’ve owned mine is that they never BC’ed Beautiful Katamari.

Shameful.

Sure I could have googled that first but I sort of assumed that game would be in.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

RodShaft posted:

Edit: here's the Digital Foundry video where they compare.
https://youtu.be/7y-Fy1Q2O2k

And the sata-usb adaptor they use/recommend
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017NIDXF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_.CcRFb5PPFYEX

Do you even need an enclosure if you're going to use that adapter?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qbert posted:

Do you even need an enclosure if you're going to use that adapter?

Don’t get an adapter get an enclosure. I’m not sure why they would recommend that.

Adapters are mainly meant for moving drives around not semi permanent additions.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t get an adapter get an enclosure. I’m not sure why they would recommend that.

Adapters are mainly meant for moving drives around not semi permanent additions.

Well it's weird because DF said that their choice of adapter brand actually affected load times. So can you recommend an enclosure that would be comparable in performance to that adapter?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pre-release it was being said that a cold boot took over 20 seconds, but that seems to be wrong, at least now. Anyone with first hand experience have an answer?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cold boot of what?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when is Remote play for the series X expected to be a thing?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

Cold boot of what?

The console itself.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Sorry if this has been answered but I just got a Series X and a 6-month ultimate game pass subscription. I am trying to access the EA Play games but anyone I try takes me to the Microsoft Store and asks me to purchase it or purchase EA play. How do I access these games through game pass?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So when is Remote play for the series X expected to be a thing?

I was able to get it displaying on my iPhone yesterday, but even though my old One S controller paired it didn't seem to work in the app. But if you have a controller that plays ball I'm guessing it's up and running.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The console itself.
I just checked from a full shutdown and it was 14 seconds until I was controlling the UI.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

I just checked from a full shutdown and it was 14 seconds until I was controlling the UI.

Thank you.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Forza Horizon 4 is so much more enjoyable with these insanely fast load times.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

wandler20 posted:

Forza Horizon 4 is so much more enjoyable with these insanely fast load times.
The "in between" load screens where they show still scenes and advertise the DLC are gone before you can even see them lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

The "in between" load screens where they show still scenes and advertise the DLC are gone before you can even see them lol.

Have you gotten any updates on your Series X order yet?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I never actually completed the Microsoft order. Just noticed the date shifting while it was in my cart between 12/23 and 11/12.

I tried to order it that night when I saw the date change but kept getting payment processing errors.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Thanks thread!
I never would have thought to actually look in the manual for my tv and figure out that I have to set hdmi modes manually to 4k60+HDR which it has switched off by default and my Series X was like, "lol, no i cant output that to this cheap tv". I mean, it doesnt do dolbyvision or 4k120 but for a $200 55" tv that I got last year hells yeah.

Now if only the wife wasn't going to hold it against me forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

I never actually completed the Microsoft order. Just noticed the date shifting while it was in my cart between 12/23 and 11/12.

I tried to order it that night when I saw the date change but kept getting payment processing errors.

Gah! Sorry you werent able to get one. :(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was able to get it displaying on my iPhone yesterday, but even though my old One S controller paired it didn't seem to work in the app. But if you have a controller that plays ball I'm guessing it's up and running.

Oh cool. I was wondering because I found a help on Microsoft’s website saying it wasn’t supported for the Series S|X which I felt was odd, but I figured it was something that just wouldn’t be at launch or perhaps that was only about a PC version.

How do you get it to display on the iPhone? Apologies for the basic question, but I haven’t had an Xbox since 360, which was mostly to play gears of war. Perhaps I’m confusing it with Project Xcloud, which isn’t an option on iOS, because...Apple I guess.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

qbert posted:

Well it's weird because DF said that their choice of adapter brand actually affected load times. So can you recommend an enclosure that would be comparable in performance to that adapter?

Here's the ugreen enclosure they linked in the video. No idea how it'll effect load times vs the other, but like every ssd in that video was really close so even if it's not peak,I can't see it being noticable. I'm p sure that drive I posted isn't BLAZING FAST anyway, but any SSD is gonna come close to topping out USB speeds.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D2BHVBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_p8dRFb76YH6XZ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh cool. I was wondering because I found a help on Microsoft’s website saying it wasn’t supported for the Series S|X which I felt was odd, but I figured it was something that just wouldn’t be at launch or perhaps that was only about a PC version.

How do you get it to display on the iPhone? Apologies for the basic question, but I haven’t had an Xbox since 360, which was mostly to play gears of war. Perhaps I’m confusing it with Project Xcloud, which isn’t an option on iOS, because...Apple I guess.

Just get the Xbox app and there is a button to remote play your console. It needs an xbox one controller to actually navigate the menus though. Unfortunately they don’t let you use the touchscreen

E: you hit this button

Then you get this option (after you turn on remote play in your console

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 11, 2020

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Are the little arrows on a games tile for quick resume?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Are the little arrows on a games tile for quick resume?

I think those are Xbox Series X|S games that are in cold storage on USB drives.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just get the Xbox app and there is a button to remote play your console. It needs an xbox one controller to actually navigate the menus though. Unfortunately they don’t let you use the touchscreen

E: you hit this button

Then you get this option (after you turn on remote play in your console

Awesome! That’s good to know. Actually picked up a second controller last night, so I’m good on that end.

Another basic question, should I just get the rechargeable batteries for both controllers, or if I have a bulk amount of batteries should that be fine for this foreseeable future? I have no idea if power usage has gotten better or worse since the last generation.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Storage Talk

There is a neat feature where if your old Xbone is still available you can transfer games to the new one and if you don't care you could leave it setup for game storage.

After looking at my usage, I'm leaving non-compatible games like Kinect poo poo on the internal drive on the XboneX, deleting all Gold/Gamepass games, and migrating everything over to the external 4TB drive I've been using. I doubt I'm going to fill the Series X internal drive with actual X games anytime soon, and will use my external drive for BC stuff. I figure next year we should have some better deals on SSD/expansion drives.

Maybe some creative folks will figure out a way to replace the Series X hard drive. Who knows?

It's taking my PS4Pro about 23 hrs to migrate from the internal to external drive about 3TB of content.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve gotten no update from my Microsoft store order, the hold will fall off on Friday so I guess there’s still some waiting to do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Awesome! That’s good to know. Actually picked up a second controller last night, so I’m good on that end.

Another basic question, should I just get the rechargeable batteries for both controllers, or if I have a bulk amount of batteries should that be fine for this foreseeable future? I have no idea if power usage has gotten better or worse since the last generation.

I just run generic AA’s from Costco. The controller seems good about not wasting battery

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe the most disappointing Xbox one fact I’ve learned in the 5 days I’ve owned mine is that they never BC’ed Beautiful Katamari.

Shameful.

Sure I could have googled that first but I sort of assumed that game would be in.

Katamari daimancy reroll is coming soon though! And we just need a HD version of we love katamari.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Arnm616 posted:

Sorry if this has been answered but I just got a Series X and a 6-month ultimate game pass subscription. I am trying to access the EA Play games but anyone I try takes me to the Microsoft Store and asks me to purchase it or purchase EA play. How do I access these games through game pass?

It shouldn't be a struggle, maybe it was so new it wasn't showing up as you having it.

I go to the gamepass section on the console and can click on any of the games I want to download/play. The newly released section is loaded up with all of the EA titles.

I had a section briefly for selecting the trial titles like squadron, but when I was ready to try it, it wasn't showing up anymore. So I just went to the store and searched for squadron and it had a button for the trial next to the purchase button. Similarly, I would expect the same kind of thing if I actually went to the store for any game pass title rather then going through the game pass section. Normally there are things that tell you if you can get it from gold or from game pass or if you already own it, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'd get rechargeables for sure. Ikea's Ladda gets my recommendation. It's the same product as the much more expensive Eneloop Pro, just with a different sticker. Comes from the same factory at the same specs and they've gotten virtually identical test results.

Obviously you also need a charger to go with those.

Another alternative of course is Microsoft's official Play & Charge set but I feel it's a bit overpriced in comparison and not much more convenient.

Zat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 11, 2020