Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is this coming out on Gamepass for PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Match engine is waaaaaay better this year. Like, it's actually good and fun.

I agree with this, the matches look great and the engine feels great. And my feeling watching the previews and announcements is that this is an unofficial "Lower League" game update. I think the guys who manage Liverpool straight away will get some of the benefits from stuff that's more streamlined, but playing in lower leagues will mean you'll have to really be on the ball with what you're doing tactically. The game will just be plain more difficult. The upside is the changes they've talked about making to defense and midfield play is that you'll better see a reflection of the tactics you're employing. I already watched one friendly and already saw a few things I had to change.

If you're a Liverpool or Man City player you'll be able to spend money and plough through teams as usual. If you're playing with smaller and lower league teams you'll really have to watch what's happening in the game. This is a difficulty boost version, but it's actually giving you the tools to respond.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

The game will just be plain more difficult.

lol no it isn't it's never been easier, especially at lower levels. The congested schedules and more intricate player condition states are impossible for the ai to manage.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Ragingsheep posted:

Is this coming out on Gamepass for PC?

I think they'll announce that after the beta/release. If they announce it now it'll eat up a bunch of sales

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

lol no it isn't it's never been easier, especially at lower levels. The congested schedules and more intricate player condition states are impossible for the ai to manage.

Maybe I'm just hoping the increased "responsiveness" of the match engine, showing you more details of the game, looking better, etc. along with the increased importance of defense and midfield play will mean crapper players are more difficult to wrangle into a team that can play any football. I wasn't thinking of the AI manager's incapability when it comes to managing the long term, season long game.

I've watched my second match, extended highlights, and it was actually enjoyable to watch, and that's never something I thought I'd say about this game. I've always watched games to learn if I win and how I can win, it's been pure information as a "game" but the match I just saw had me finding pleasure in just seeing what happened.

Although I think I'll be doing a special Beta Save this time, because the team I want to manage were put in the wrong division.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Why is squad rotation so difficult for the AI? It's not like you really have to do it that artfully, and they sign more than enough backup players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

Why is squad rotation so difficult for the AI? It's not like you really have to do it that artfully, and they sign more than enough backup players.

Have you ever let your assistant design your training routine? They're brutal and will randomly set a full week of physical sessions.

The first season is playing twice a week, every week in most leagues. If you proactively rotate and get ahead of accumulated fatigue and match load you have every advantage over the calculators.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Although I think I'll be doing a special Beta Save this time, because the team I want to manage were put in the wrong division.

What team/division?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

What team/division?

Cork City are being shown as in the Irish Premier Division for 21. They've actually been relegated (and Drogheda promoted.) It's been reported on the SI forums and will supposedly be fixed for the final data. I was just looking forward to bringing my home town back to "glory."

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The default skin really hurts my eyes, I hope they come out with a Dark one soon

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mrenda posted:

Cork City are being shown as in the Irish Premier Division for 21. They've actually been relegated (and Drogheda promoted.) It's been reported on the SI forums and will supposedly be fixed for the final data. I was just looking forward to bringing my home town back to "glory."

Didn't the league only finish on Monday, though? Can't really expect it to be that up to date.

Also, gently caress Drogheda.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Didn't the league only finish on Monday, though? Can't really expect it to be that up to date.

Also, gently caress Drogheda.

Cork have been mathematically relegated for a few weeks now, and Drogheda promoted (I believe.) I don't pay much attention to the LOI outside of FM, but these changes could have been put in. I don't know if the playoffs from promotion/relegation will be played in time, but the head researcher said the Cork/Drogheda swap will be in the final data release.

This isn't a big gently caress You FM! whinge, just me saying I'd like to have played my return-cork-to-glory save straight away, but I'll just manage Sheffield Wednesday until launch day.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mrenda posted:

Cork have been mathematically relegated for a few weeks now, and Drogheda promoted (I believe.) I don't pay much attention to the LOI outside of FM, but these changes could have been put in. I don't know if the playoffs from promotion/relegation will be played in time, but the head researcher said the Cork/Drogheda swap will be in the final data release.

This isn't a big gently caress You FM! whinge, just me saying I'd like to have played my return-cork-to-glory save straight away, but I'll just manage Sheffield Wednesday until launch day.

Ohh yeah, I knew you weren't whinging! My point is if the league isn't over, they can't really implement any of the repercussions. It would be odd to have teams relegated or promoted correctly, but not have say, the European places correct.

Anyway, gently caress Drogheda...

edit: What happened with Cork? They won the league recently and seem to have gotten to the cup final in each of the last 5 or 6 years, discounting last year.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is the default skin still UKIP

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having talked a lot of poo poo about the game being easy I'm bottling it something fierce at the end of my second season. Was 2nd at midway point but didn't adapt so now I'm 5th with 3 to go (incl. a cup final). 2 points from last 5 matches. 1 of which was against 10 men and needed a dramatic 95th minute set piece leveller.

On the bright side my target was avoiding relegation after unexpectedly storming the second tier last season.

Strikers with good finishing and decisions and mediocre pace are lethal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The trophy celebrations are nice.

Moral victory in the league.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 11, 2020

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

The trophy celebrations are nice.

Moral victory in the league.

Where do you find that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
End of season summary.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I am bad at this game. I'm playing with Sheffield Wednesday, variations of a 4-3-3 and my striker just cannot score. My xG is incredibly low. And if I do happen to go ahead, I lose 2-1.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My striker ran in behind the defense and scored from a free header on the edge of the 6-yard box.
xG: 0.16

Okay

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

kingturnip posted:

My striker ran in behind the defense and scored from a free header on the edge of the 6-yard box.
xG: 0.16

Okay

When you consider headers on the edge of the box, with the ball coming in fast and the striker on the move, far more are going to end up missing or straight at the keeper than in the back of the net, no?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

I'm playing with Sheffield Wednesday

I've figured it out, op.

I think xG for a chance tops out at 0.8/0.76 for penalties, so keep that in mind when thinking of the value of your own chances.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 12, 2020

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Woah, they do a proper trophy presentation now, with a stage and everything. Everyone lining up... Nice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Woah, they do a proper trophy presentation now, with a stage and everything. Everyone lining up... Nice.

I was gutted not to get one when I won a second tier domestic title but the cup win the following season got the confetti treatment. Should have had my suit on.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I will not be swayed by talk of a fun match engine in the beta, it's happened too many times before!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

I will not be swayed by talk of a fun match engine in the beta, it's happened too many times before!

The weird thing this year is how little the match engine has been changing. Usually it goes through half a dozen big patches that change/nerf things significantly. This year only some minor stuff, it's very stable.

There's still stuff wrong with it. Blocked crosses and too many corners due to 1000mph deflections are still an issue. How fullbacks defend is just... wrong (they retreat instead of pressuring the ball when attacks come down their wing) but even that is more a quirk you have to adapt your system to expect that outright criminal. Offsides off a throw-in are still a common highlight as while the players are now actually aware of offsides and will try to leave the ball in open play, this decision-making doesn't "slice" into the canned 'play it back to the thrower' animation apparently.

Where FM20 was a low point this is definitely up there with the best ones.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

They got a dubious penalty and had a lucky own-goal go their way, and they still couldn't beat my French 3rd-tier team.
Get hosed, Real Madrid.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, sassassin's posts made me buy FM21 although I thought I might sit one or two out and the match engine really is much better. Developing a tactic no longer feels like you're actively fighting the game.

The new conversation and feedback system is dumb as poo poo, though, and seems like it's almost entirely just the same stuff as before but with silly icons you need to memorize instead of text now.
It can get funny, at least. The boys love a good fist pump. If SI implemented finger guns into the training feedback talks I would certainly be invincible.

Also:

Notable highlights: authoritarianism.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
A little over halfway through my first season with Sheffield Wednesday I'm getting tired of the save. The goal the board set was to "avoid relegation" which I'm doing pretty well. This was especially the case when they started with a six point deduction. Without that six point deduction I'd be in the final spot for the play offs. We were knocked out in the first game we had in the League Cup (my fault, I was still figuring out competitive tactics) and our third round FA Cup tie was against Liverpool, which we duly lost. Mid-table mediocrity is where we're probably going to end up, and that's just not that inspiring as a save.

I only ever planned on playing this save during the beta. When the full game launches the database will be updated to include Cork City's relegation to the Irish First Division, and my plan is to get them back to the premiership, and eventually to the group stages of Europe, further than they've ever been. I didn't start the Sheff Wed save with long term plans, and that might be my issue right now (along with no transfer budget, even though I was never transfer-crazy.) I dunno, languishing with not much to play for just doesn't hit my buttons. Especially with the board not being that impressed that I'm doing far better in the league than they could have dreamed of, and showing me absolutely no loving appreciation. And the games I play seem to be a crapshoot of whether my tactics will pay off, with no rhyme or reason to how it performs (i.e. the variation of tactics, and league position-teams I come up against don't seem to mean much.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The EFL is just miserable to play in with 46 games plus the cups. I couldn't get through a single season with Newport.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

The EFL is just miserable to play in with 46 games plus the cups. I couldn't get through a single season with Newport.

I think that's a big part as well. There's just so much treading water. I'm looking forward to the Irish save with about 30 league matches a season.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've always enjoyed managing in France, although the finances in the National seem to be horrific in FM21.
The "overtake PSG" goal is always there.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I assume Italy doesn’t have all the lovely co-ownership of players anymore? That used to be an insane pain in the rear end at the end of every season

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jesus WEP posted:

I assume Italy doesn’t have all the lovely co-ownership of players anymore? That used to be an insane pain in the rear end at the end of every season

Been gone for years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Every time I've tried to manage in France my teams have picked up at least one red card in drat near every game if I try to press/close down even a little bit. No fuckin' wonder PSG can't win anything outside France.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just had a ten game unbeaten run come to an end. I was planning on going for a nap halfway through, but all the winning made me power through. Now it's almost two hours later and I've missed my nap opportunity and am regretting my decisions. Especially regretting that I might have to do another season in the Championship, with it's 46 games a season.

I really cannot wait for the final update/launch day so I can manage in Ireland and have shorter campaigns, and more stupidity.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every time I've tried to manage in France my teams have picked up at least one red card in drat near every game if I try to press/close down even a little bit. No fuckin' wonder PSG can't win anything outside France.

I've been able to get a red card rescinded for the first time in ages. It was an obviously bad decision, but still nice to get it rescinded. Also nice that we got a late winner.

I remember - possibly in FM08, possibly earlier - conceding a penalty against Juventus when the foul was visibly 5 yards at least outside the area. I complained after the game and the referee got sacked.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Having talked a lot of poo poo about the game being easy I'm bottling it something fierce at the end of my second season.

I wonder if there's a new "towards-the-end-of-the-season" "season-run-in" update added for how your team performs and how other teams play against you. I didn't really get the mid-point slump as you'd usually expect, I didn't even have to change up my tactics too much, but with the end of the season approaching we've gone from being not too far off a playoff place, to three losses in a row, followed by two draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This match engine is enjoyable I agree, I hope they don't gently caress it up on full release. The most refereshing changes are that your strikers actually do score and make intelligent decisions such as threaded through balls or squaring to a partner and the pressing is much less like an insane version of group tag.