Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Joe Biden pulled a sword and flew twelve feet towards me while spinning I'd probably be too scared to defend myself no matter how well I was trained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I still don't think the end of TROS is nearly as dumb as the beginning, where they drop the biggest reveal of the whole trilogy in the opening crawl, and then it falls to poor Oscar Isaac to deliver some of the most ham-fisted exposition dialogue I've ever heard.

Off topic, but speaking of Oscar Isaac, I just finished the hbo miniseries Show Me A Hero and Oscar was fantastic in it. Really great and tragic story about local politics and the communities it affects. Isaac played the lead protagonist and he was captivating all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqHZH1Uqvo

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

josh04 posted:

The corkscrew jump is self-justifying, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1889zS030

thank you for posting this because I immediately had to explain that fantastic meme to some of my friends

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
smh that you didn't watch the backstroke of the west dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok&t=4258s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

thrawn527 posted:

If you're the one who made this, thank you. You're doing God's The Force's work.

I did indeed make it!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The United States posted:

One of the best dubs ever made.

“The Presbyterian Church just created me!“

Also, Anakin’s name being “Allah Gold” will never not crack me up.

Edit: Here’s the unofficial style guide for this masterpiece: https://starwarsfans.fandom.com/wiki/Star_War_The_Third_Gathers:_The_Backstroke_of_the_West

“You are already at full cock now!” (You have done well, my apprentice.)

Gonz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 11, 2020

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The United States posted:

I have watched this start to finish and I have no regrets.

I presume this is a game by ea where you can spend 14.99 to unlock a different lightsaber colour but I still want to know which game it is.

Gonz posted:

I did indeed make it!

Did want.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

George Lucas’ ‘Star Wars’ Sequel Trilogy Made Leia ‘the Chosen One’ and Darth Maul the Villain

Indiewire posted:

George Lucas provides new details about his original plan for the “Star Wars” sequel trilogy in Taschen’s upcoming book “The Star Wars Archives: 1999-2005”. Perhaps the biggest revelation is that Lucas intended to resurrect “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” villain Darth Maul and turn him into the main antagonist of the trilogy. Darth Maul would appear with “mechanical legs” and “become the godfather of crime in the universe because, as the Empire falls, he takes over.”

“Darth Maul trained a girl, Darth Talon, who was in the comic books, as his apprentice,” Lucas continues, “She was the new Darth Vader and most of the action was with her. So these were the two main villains of the trilogy.”

[The] Taschen book confirms[Lucas] also intended to turn Carrie Fisher’s Leia into “The Chosen One” over the course of the three installments. Just as the original “Star Wars” trilogy focused on Luke, the sequel trilogy would focus on Leia.

As Lucas explained: “The movies are about how Leia — I mean, who else is going to be the leader? — is trying to rebuild the Republic… Luke is trying to restart the Jedi.”

Why did Lucas abandon the sequel trilogy plan? “At that time I was starting the next trilogy, I talked to the actors and I was starting to gear up, I was also about to have a daughter,” he says in the book. “It takes 10 years to make a trilogy. I’d still be working on Episode 9! Finally, I’d decided I’d rather raise my daughter and enjoy life for a while.”

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

teagone posted:

George Lucas’ ‘Star Wars’ Sequel Trilogy Made Leia ‘the Chosen One’ and Darth Maul the Villain

That explains why Lucas was so gung-ho about The Clone Wars show using Maul; it let him get that idea out there without having to direct three whole movies about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh goodie. Another version of what Lucas originally planned to do.

edit: Less salty version: I'm sure he thought about doing this at some point. Using the word "original" is silly. How far he got into thinking about it is questionable. Whether he came up with the idea of Maul coming back or saw it in Clone Wars planning and liked it so much he wanted to use it too is iffy.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 11, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seems like a dumb idea, considering Darth Maul is probably the least interesting villain in the whole series

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Oh goodie. Another version of what Lucas originally planned to do.

edit: Less salty version: I'm sure he thought about doing this at some point. Using the word "original" is silly. How far he got into thinking about it is questionable. Whether he came up with the idea of Maul coming back or saw it in Clone Wars planning and liked it so much he wanted to use it too is iffy.

George was the one that wanted Maul back in TCW and Dave was the skeptic, I believe?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's still funny that they did a very late edit of Phantom Menace to make sure the audience knew Maul was definitely superdead and never ever coming back.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol that george wanted to canonize the bikini twilek maul tattoo sith

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
So is baby Yoda cancelled now? Heard he commits genocide for laughs

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Pretty sure these are vague half fleshed out ideas in Lucas' head and probably didn't really amount to a full plan or anything.

Bringing maul back wouldn't be that interesting since he has no real ties to anyone after Obi-Wan dies, and not a great bridging of series since he's only in the first prequel.

Though it was a genuine suprise for me when he showed up in Solo, but not a good one. It feels like a bad retcon. I know he showed up in the cartoon or whatever and there was a yellow Darth maul, but I never watched that.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
God, I hadn't watched Revenge of the Sith in so long, and seeing that clip of Sheeve battling the Jedi with a lightsaber is so loving stupid.

Not even in a fun way, it's just badly edited. Though I'll always love Ian McDiarmid's beautiful hammy villainry.

They never should have given him a lightsaber in the first place.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's very fun, and the scene isn't badly edited, that's a YouTube clip

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems like a dumb idea, considering Darth Maul is probably the least interesting villain in the whole series

He's a non-entity in the films but The Clone Wars does some interesting stuff.

ps. I watched the dub clip linked above and only now has it struck me so many years later how insane it was that McDiramid and Jackson had an actual lightsabre duel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Blood Boils posted:

It's very fun, and the scene isn't badly edited, that's a YouTube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_dwkjQHre0

Yes, I know this is also a YouTube clip, but it's of the movie, and not, to my knowledge, re-edited.

It is weird how those first two Jedi just kind of stand there while Sheev pulls back his saber and stab them, while the other Jedi and Windu also do absolutely nothing. This is after the "screaming corkscrew jump poo poo", btw. He takes 2 seconds to pull back his saber, while those Jedi do nothing. I think part of that is editing, because it's a full couple of seconds where those Jedi could have, like, moved out of the way, or parried, or, I don't know, something, and probably should have been edited down to be quicker so it doesn't seem ridiculous. That's part editing, part directing.

And before anyone says that maybe they were shocked that the Chancellor was doing these crazy rear end moves, they were just told he was "A SITH LORD!" and were going there to arrest him because of it. They should have been prepared for him to pull some poo poo.

Has there ever been some explanation for why those two Jedi just sit there doing nothing but holding their sabers at the ready? Was Sheev holding their minds still? Were those Jedi really lovely at their jobs? At least Kit Fisto put up a little bit of a fight. Those other two just stand for a few seconds.

That being said, it's a very small moment, and everything else in that I'm good with. It's just always been an extremely silly moment to me.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 11, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lol that george wanted to canonize the bikini twilek maul tattoo sith

The dual-wielding blue twi’lek Jedi from RotS was a fanart design that George liked enough to put in the actual movies, so it’s not like “George is horny for colorful ladies who could kick his rear end” is a new or shocking revelation

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Has there ever been some explanation for why those two Jedi just sit there doing nothing but holding their sabers at the ready? Was Sheev holding their minds still? Were those Jedi really lovely at their jobs? At least Kit Fisto put up a little bit of a fight. Those other two just stand for a few seconds.

That being said, it's a very small moment, and everything else in that I'm good with. It's just always been an extremely silly moment to me.

I've read something about that yell he does is some sort of psychic force scream that stuns them but I dunno if that's something from "official" sources or just some forums nonsense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i really do think it actually is baby yoda. somehow yoda timetravelled his younger self into the future. disappearing into death is what happens when overload your midichlorians.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Star Wars is pretty silly all the way through.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Star Wars is pretty silly all the way through.

Yes, it's very good

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's about silly space stuff, but also about having an abusive dad who killed your mom

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CFox posted:

I've read something about that yell he does is some sort of psychic force scream that stuns them but I dunno if that's something from "official" sources or just some forums nonsense.

It’s apparently a thing, but yeah, it’s not Disney canon.

https://www.quora.com/When-confronted-in-Episode-III-how-does-Sidious-kill-3-Jedi-Masters-so-easily

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They expected him to simply quietly comply when they went to arrest him and were frightened into paralysis both by the prospect of confronting a Sith Lord and the reality of him pulling out a red lightsabre and doing epic Matrix spinny poo poo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

They expected him to simply quietly comply when they went to arrest him and were frightened into paralysis both by the prospect of confronting a Sith Lord and the reality of him pulling out a red lightsabre and doing epic Matrix spinny poo poo

Also, they sit in bean bah chairs in an open floorplan office all day. most of their building is like, bureaucracy and data storage and poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Alternatively, they crapped their robes when he told them he was THE ENTIRE SENATE.

They might’ve been prepared to take on an old evil guy, but not tens of thousands of Senators.

Kit Fisto was like “Oh gently caress! I’ve sworn to protect the Republic and it’s officials! I can’t harm the Senate!” and that moment of doubt ended up killing him and his two other buddies.

Chancellor Palpatine: Master of Wordplay and Mindfuckery

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the scene would be completely unremarkable if it did the typical action movie thing and used slow motion to communicate that the characters can't react fast enough to what he's doing to stop him, but star wars doesn't use slow motion

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

punishedkissinger posted:

Also, they sit in bean bah chairs in an open floorplan office all day. most of their building is like, bureaucracy and data storage and poo poo.

A huge force of Jedi all fought in the arena just 3 years ago, and they have all been fighting in the Clone Wars for the last 3 years. It’s not like the Jedi are foreign to combat at this point. Did Mace Windu bring 3 of the few bureaucrat Jedi to arrest the Sith Lord behind it all, when Sith Lords are known for being Kung Fu masters? (At least the last two they encountered.) I highly doubt it.

It’s a very small moment in a fun scene, but a bad moment. It’s okay to admit it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 12, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yeah, they obviously just skimped on the choreography for that part of the fight.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's all part of the big gag with Obi-wan saying "Chancellor, Sith Lords are our speciality!"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

thrawn527 posted:

A huge force of Jedi all fought in the arena just 3 years ago, and they have all been fighting in the Clone Wars for the last 3 years. It’s not like the Jedi are foreign to combat at this point. Did Mace Windu bring 3 of the few bureaucrat Jedi to arrest the Sith Lord behind it all, when Sith Lords are known for being Kung Fu masters? (At least the last two they encountered.) I highly doubt it.

It’s a very small moment in a fun scene, but a bad moment. It’s okay to admit it.

Mace Windu in the movies is clearly just the top general who never actually does work and is just a political liaison. The last time he did a mission, he nearly got everyone killed and started a war. The other three guys were all of the ones taken off from field command due to incompetence otherwise they would have been out fighting on other missions. Obi-wan saved the chancellor and didn't even get a day off before going to Utapau because he's the best guy they have unlike those other clowns.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zoran posted:

Yeah, they obviously just skimped on the choreography for that part of the fight.

Multiple shots of Sheev stabbing at the camera and counter shots of Jedi falling over.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 12, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Episode III takes place over, what, a week? A week and a half?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The sins of ROS are many but making sheev kinda bland, hard to see, and then just recite popular lines verbatim was so wack

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gonz posted:

Episode III takes place over, what, a week? A week and a half?

I mean, probably? But how long of a period do most movies take place over? What’s your point?

It takes place 3 years into the Clone Wars. That much is, at least, somewhat relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, probably? But how long of a period do most movies take place over? What’s your point?

It takes place 3 years into the Clone Wars. That much is, at least, somewhat relevant.

Oh, nothing important. It was just me thinking "Holy fuckin' poo poo, Obi-Wan and Anakin sure as hell didn't have a lot of days off, if any at all, after the rescue mission" after Shiroc mentioned it a few posts earlier.