Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

“Surprise me” and/or price.

Phones are commodity items with a severely squashed meaningful utility: all phones can do all things. My 7P can do 99% of what a 12PM can do at 80% efficiency. I’m missing, like, 3D Animoji and uhhh probably some HealthKit thing, idk.

I’m not actively looking for a reason to upgrade. I think many people itt are. The 7P was a huge step up from my 5S because of size, water resistance, and portrait mode. Also, my 5S was dying.

Fair take, and def a person by person decision.

For me: I think for something one uses every day, investing a bit every 1-2 years makes sense even for incremental improvements. Camera, speed and screen quality/size along make it worth it for me.

That’s really the only counter argument to what you are saying, and neither is right or wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

For me: I think for something one uses every day, investing a bit every 1-2 years makes sense even for incremental improvements. Camera, speed and screen quality/size along make it worth it for me.

That’s really the only counter argument to what you are saying, and neither is right or wrong.

This is where I’m at.

My phone is my most used device by far so even incremental upgrades are worth it to me.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

DNK posted:

I’m still using a 7 plus and decided not to upgrade this cycle because it wasn’t compelling.
I’m like you and I’m rocking a 6S. I was eagerly waiting for the new phones with a new design and everything - even, finally, a size I can like (Mini!). However, now that some time has passed I’m not really sure why I should upgrade since my current phone mostly works fine. I use a real camera when I take photos so other than “ooh shiny new toy” (a joy that for me lasts for perhaps two hours) I don’t see any compelling reason to spend a small fortune on something I don’t need.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Good on you for still using a 7 Plus but any of the new phones would be far more than an incremental upgrade at this point - even going from a 7 Plus to an XR meant a much more usable camera and like four times the battery life.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

DNK posted:

I’m still using a 7 plus and decided not to upgrade this cycle because it wasn’t compelling. Why spend $1000 on a 12, $800 on an 11, or $600 on a X/10? I got plenty of money in the bank, but these incremental refreshes are very “eh” to me.

Newer phones have: meaningfully better cameras, better displays, and irrelevantly better processors. *farts*

The only thing that would force me to buy a new phone is when critical hardware starts failing (like the logic board, modem(s), and/or lightning port) or it gets crushed by a car. I’ve already replaced the battery and screen with 3rd party parts, and it’s workin’ fine.

I’m just throwing this out there because the thread is full of tech geeks who want new shiny. I do think it’s Good to upgrade devices that you use 10 hours a day - at that usage, even incremental upgrades are beneficial - so I’m not trying to hate on anyone. I just want to be an example of the other side of the story: I’m a heavy phone user (~10hrs a day or whatever it reports) with spending power and still don’t give a gently caress about these new phones yet.

Tbh I hope to achieve this vibe someday. I agree with you in theory but in reality I just upgraded from an X to a 12 Pro. At the end of the day they are all just cell phones, unfortunately.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone received tracking information for their 12 Pro Max / Mini that pre ordered last Friday? I still have a confirmed delivery date of 11/13, but I thought it would have shipped from China by now. Still in "Preparing to Ship".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sock The Great posted:

Has anyone received tracking information for their 12 Pro Max / Mini that pre ordered last Friday? I still have a confirmed delivery date of 11/13, but I thought it would have shipped from China by now. Still in "Preparing to Ship".

You should be able to get your UPS tracking number at https://store.apple.com or, barring that, using your phone number as a tracking reference number at https://www.ups.com

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

enojy posted:

You should be able to get your UPS tracking number at https://store.apple.com or, barring that, using your phone number as a tracking reference number at https://www.ups.com
So for me the Apple Store app is still showing as "Preparing to Ship" but it has shipped and it's showed up in my UPS My Choice account. Another option, since I think UPS and/or FedEx are limiting results/details if you search by phone number.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

enojy posted:

I can confirm that my phone left Alaska this morning but still shows preparing to ship in the app. If you sign up for UPS My Choice it should show you the status.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one who absolutely hates all review videos and would just read a long form article instead?
Depends on the video and if I'm actually looking for info vs just playing it on the side and loosely paying attention. Like I can't really stand Rene Richie in video form and would rather read his stuff (if at all I guess), while MKBHD's videos are fine. And generally like him more than most of the others just cause he's usually less...hype-y? And if nothing else most of his video thumbnails aren't the usual obnoxious YouTuber reaction face.

DNK posted:

Also, my 5S was dying.
I imagine this is a lot of users at any given time, just replace a phone when it stops working properly or to their satisfaction.

This cycle for me is a mix of old SE battery dying and becoming noticeably slow for a while now (although iOS 14 helped), and the iPhone mini being more or less what I've been waiting for for years. There's a few more features I want and I'm on the upgrade program track now, so we'll see how quickly I swap phones after this.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

They gave a greater than 0 to a laptop that had touchpad drivers so broken that it somehow managed to erase itself.

lol what was this

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A local electronics store (mediamarkt) is selling Powerbeats pro at 189€ , what is the thread consensus? Are they good quality? I'd love to get some AirPods Pros but i'm fairy confident i would lose/break them in a day during normal usage so the ear brackets should hold them in place. Reviews tends to show weak audio quality so i'm a tad worried about buying tinny bass boosted audio at big bucks

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 11, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009

grahm posted:

Tbh I hope to achieve this vibe someday. I agree with you in theory but in reality I just upgraded from an X to a 12 Pro. At the end of the day they are all just cell phones, unfortunately.
Same.
Coming from an X, skipped XS and 11 and jumped straight to 12 pro. Like others have said it's the most used device for some people so why not having the fastest thing possible if it means you can save a few second on doing everything throughout the day.

For me there's also the improved hardware security and overall connectivity improvements due to the X not having certain cellular bands that my provider uses. Now I literally get 5 extra bands with the 12 pro and have less coverage or connectivity issues while I'm outside.

And the fact now I can leave the primary line on esim and add a second sim from another carrier to get even better coverage is really nice.

There's also the quality of life improvement that now I can just leave my slr and mirrorless cameras with a bunch of lenses behind without breaking my back during an outing. And still get decent photos too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got an apple leather case for my 12 Pro. Unlike the leather cases for the 11s this one has a lip all the way around including at the bottom. Which makes it awkward to swipe up for the Home bar because you are always hitting the lip with your finger when trying to swipe.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero One posted:

I got an apple leather case for my 12 Pro. Unlike the leather cases for the 11s this one has a lip all the way around including at the bottom. Which makes it awkward to swipe up for the Home bar because you are always hitting the lip with your finger when trying to swipe.

That is disappointing, I always liked that they lacked that bottom piece on the leather case for the 11s. You're going to hit that little stupid lip with your finger 1000 times per day.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Zero One posted:

I really don't like the bottom lip! I might go caseless like a dummy.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The lip on the leather? That’s LipGate, been using my lip since it released and it’s a good lip, one of the best. No issues at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Yeah that (city dwellers) is gonna be a real big yikes from me

I dont dislike him because hes black? I dislike him because as someone else put it, hes not a tech reviewer, hes an influencer masquerading as a reviewer. I was struggling to think of a word that described him but couldnt and 'cant put my finger on it' probably would've garnered a similar response.

I dont want to go any further off topic than it already is, but to immediately assume it was a race issue rather than just not like him as a personality was a nice projection on your behalf. Not everything is black and white (literally)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
You’re not the arbiter of what makes someone a tech reviewer or not. I generally find that his reviews touch on what’s most pertinent for day-to-day stuff. Not everything has to be a spergfest Anandtech wall of text.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally can’t think of a reason to say “city dwellers” given most of the world resides in a city unless you were trying to find a synonym for “urban” which is a big yikes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

I dont dislike him because hes black? I dislike him because as someone else put it, hes not a tech reviewer, hes an influencer masquerading as a reviewer. I was struggling to think of a word that described him but couldnt and 'cant put my finger on it' probably would've garnered a similar response.

I dont want to go any further off topic than it already is, but to immediately assume it was a race issue rather than just not like him as a personality was a nice projection on your behalf. Not everything is black and white (literally)

nah, you made a boner with your word choice there.

"city dweller" has been basic code for "person of color" or, maybe more broadly, if we're being charitable (maybe) "democrat" since the Southern Strategy was a glimmer in Nixon et al.'s eyes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well this sure took a turn.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Anyway, I got my 12 Mini Saddle Brown case today. Friday can't come soon enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Siracusa on ATP has been trying to find a good case without a lower lip, so maybe follow him if you want recommendations!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't think I'll mind it. I always liked the side lip, but this one seems like it's less pronounced. Wonder what 12 (Pro) owners are saying. I don't have the phone yet.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have two questions if anyone might know the answers.

I’ve never ordered an iPhone from the Apple Store online before. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow but it’s still in the preparing to ship phase. Should I be concerned? I’m trying to coordinate having someone at the house to sign for it / pick it up.

My other question, does anyone use a screen protector? I never have because I greatly enjoy the raw screen particularly when they have that oleophobic coating on it. But I also get tons of micro scratches on my phones from wear inside my pocket.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’ve never ordered an iPhone from the Apple Store online before. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow but it’s still in the preparing to ship phase. Should I be concerned? I’m trying to coordinate having someone at the house to sign for it / pick it up.

My other question, does anyone use a screen protector? I never have because I greatly enjoy the raw screen particularly when they have that oleophobic coating on it. But I also get tons of micro scratches on my phones from wear inside my pocket.

No. This is frustrating and normal for the most part. You should have concrete shipping/location information later today or very early in the AM tomorrow.

Re: protector. I don't use one so I'm going to defer to others in the thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't worry. Their delivery dates are almost always correct.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I haven't bothered with a screen protector on my pixel phones, or the 11 I got about a year ago. Seeing some of the 12 reviewers mentioning that the increased shatter resistance means being more susceptible to scratches has me considering it for my 12 pro max though.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

I went with a screen protector after seeing multiple reviews where the screen was scratched during the review period and wasn’t dropped or really mishandled. More shatter resistance, but less scratch resistance.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rafikki posted:

I haven't bothered with a screen protector on my pixel phones, or the 11 I got about a year ago. Seeing some of the 12 reviewers mentioning that the increased shatter resistance means being more susceptible to scratches has me considering it for my 12 pro max though.

I got a tempered glass screen protector on my 12, the screen is already scratched. The aluminum rails on the side seem softer too, I've already got damage from a small 1ft drop onto a hardwood floor. Will probably pick up a case too. My 11 had a bit of wear and tear like this but it was after 1 year, not a few weeks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

LionArcher posted:

It's the best, and Marco and the gang on ATP is easily one of the best podcasts about tech out there. And they also just took ten minutes in the most recent episode to encourage everyone to vote. They're good people.

I finally got around to listening to a few episodes and it’s such a chill podcast. Lots of content, casual yet not heavy on unrelated banter, no grating personalities or voices. Kinda surprised how well it hit everything just right for me because im the picky type when it comes to podcasts.

Thanks for bringing this up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SlowBloke posted:

A local electronics store (mediamarkt) is selling Powerbeats pro at 189€ , what is the thread consensus? Are they good quality? I'd love to get some AirPods Pros but i'm fairy confident i would lose/break them in a day during normal usage so the ear brackets should hold them in place. Reviews tends to show weak audio quality so i'm a tad worried about buying tinny bass boosted audio at big bucks

The audio is very good actually*, but the sound isolation is trash.
I've been using mine since the 11 came out. I really like the sound, but if there's ambient noise, you have to ramp up the volume to potentially damaging levels. Skip them.

* For in-ear buds.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

buglord posted:

I finally got around to listening to a few episodes and it’s such a chill podcast. Lots of content, casual yet not heavy on unrelated banter, no grating personalities or voices. Kinda surprised how well it hit everything just right for me because im the picky type when it comes to podcasts.

Thanks for bringing this up

some people really don't like casey, other people really can't stand marco

it's ok - i wish siracusa did his old podcast but i think it was literally killing him

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

some people really don't like casey, other people really can't stand marco

it's ok - i wish siracusa did his old podcast but i think it was literally killing him

It's funny, I like all three of them a great deal. Casey comes off as a little privileged, but at least he acknowledges it. It's Rocket on relay FM that I listen to but still have serious issues with. Simone is by far the chillest. Bri is generally technically very knowledgeable, and while I don't always agree on what she thinks is the priorities in a product, I like her feedback. Which leaves Christina Warren. It's not that she doesn't have a good base of knowledge, but her biases (continuing to talk up Xbox while putting down the PS5 because she works for microsoft but claims it doesn't effect her judgment, or in the latest episode downplaying how impressive Apple's new laptop battery life claims are,) drive me nuts. I still listen though, because of the tech group they are most critical of apple and cover other stuff too and that's appreciated.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, can’t wait to see what the Pro Max can do with the bigger sensor.

https://twitter.com/sdw/status/1326704810318417921?s=21

https://twitter.com/sdw/status/1327053641295962114?s=21

https://twitter.com/sdw/status/1327053980644438016?s=21

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ragequit posted:

Wow, can’t wait to see what the Pro Max can do with the bigger sensor.

https://twitter.com/sdw/status/1326704810318417921?s=21

This is a really impressive pic but it's just a long integration time and would work on any phone.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

This is a really impressive pic but it's just a long integration time and would work on any phone.

Yeah I know some Android phones have specific Milky Way modes that can take stunning shots. It still impresses me what phones can do these days. I was mainly looking forward to the ProRAW. Curious to see what Halide can do with these new features and hardware. Though the ~25 members per RAW shot is going to chew through data something fierce.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those photos look hideous to me. :v:

Yes I understand that for a phone it's exceptional. But for a camera that is pretty bad, if you look at them full size all you can see is noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just got an iPhone 12 as my work phone. Size wise , it is barely taller than my iPhone 11 Pro, so that probably solidifies me upgrading to the Pro (when my work allows, because I can’t buy a launch iPhone until there is good inventory availability to customers. Yes it’s stupid).