Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Shame Roboky didn't show off with the Terminators more this map. Since this is, IIRC, the only dawn of war 1 game without a per unit cap.

So you can just march five groups of Terminators through everything if you want to. (I wanted to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So you mentioned the 'Dawn of Eldar' jokes earlier, and a big part of where that came from is the Avatar of Khaine stuff. The buff to unit cap and production rates turns the Eldar into the most swarmy faction in the game. They get better at just sending waves of bodies at a problem than either the Orks or the Imperial Guard, and don't suffer any of the downsides of the big swarm-based faction. I really have no idea what the devs were thinking when they decided to give that to the Eldar of all factions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gothsheep posted:

So you mentioned the 'Dawn of Eldar' jokes earlier, and a big part of where that came from is the Avatar of Khaine stuff. The buff to unit cap and production rates turns the Eldar into the most swarmy faction in the game. They get better at just sending waves of bodies at a problem than either the Orks or the Imperial Guard, and don't suffer any of the downsides of the big swarm-based faction. I really have no idea what the devs were thinking when they decided to give that to the Eldar of all factions.

Rumour was that most of the Devs played Eldar. So Eldar didn;t get well balanced.

I forget if it was Winter Assault or Dark Crusade MP where D-Cannon turrets splash would hit superunits as well as the main shot. So they;d chew up say, a Squiggoth in no time flat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The thing with khaine is if it lost hp when not in combat and the elder suffered a massive debuff when it died it would be more balanced.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hunt11 posted:

The thing with khaine is if it lost hp when not in combat and the elder suffered a massive debuff when it died it would be more balanced.

I think they made it lose hp in one of the expansions actually

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The Avatar only regens in combat, it is a different unit that loses hp out of combat.

I didn't want to bring up Dawn of Eldar, but there was one line that I remember from it (that on re-reading doesn't seem to be there), along the lines of 'and so then the Avatar of Khaine sits back on the Couch of Khaine and never leaves its base to use its big flaming sword because it doesn't need to.'

But yeah, lets not bring up dawn of Eldar again, okay?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
While I love the Salamanders, who doesn't love All The Fire and actually giving a poo poo about the Guard, the White Scars are also really great. Hell yeah, motorbike space Mongols

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
First founding I am not so sure but I was always a fan of the Black Templars. Nothing quite like zerg rushing the enemy with a wall of angry space marines and their neophyte tag alongs.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Someone needs to slap the Eldar species as a whole upside the head and tell them that when speaking to humanity, if you want the Imperium to even consider trusting your word, explain poo poo to them like you're speaking to a five-year-old. Drop the poetry, drop the riddles, and just loving say it straight.

There are times when I think the Eldar genuinely don't understand that the riddles and mystery are part of why humanity refuses to listen to their warnings. Even when they think they're being clear, they're still being ephemeral and mysterious and poetic and riddle-y and it's infuriating.

Like, this isn't some metaphor that humans are too dumb to understand. She could have explained exactly what it is IN LESS WORDS and avoided all the terrible things to come. BUT NOPE GOTTA BE ALL VAGUE AND poo poo WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG NOW THAT I'VE LOST MY ARMY

Fuckin Eldar.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Death Guard are my favorite legion, mainly because I like the color green (Salamanders come second and Dark Angels third because they betrayed the color). I also like Mortarion's back story and his fall to Chaos, as well as the overall combat doctrine of the legion relying on the fact that they're even tougher than other Space Marines and can use weapons too dangerous for others to handle.

Found this fan animation recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A. It really captures what Space Marines are like in fluff.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On a somewhat unrelated note, but still Dawn Of War related... I just want to say that I find it absolutely hysterical that after all these years, the hate for Dawn of War 3 is so strong that people are still DESPERATELY clinging to their headcanon winner for Soulstorm (who was never officially supported in any way and in fact wasn't even the expansion's posterboy-race), despite the fact that the winner was confirmed in Dawn of War 3, and hinted at before that in Dawn of War 2, even if only via an item that was cut before release.

It's just fascinating that they go through these olympic feats of mental gymnastics just to avoid admitting to themselves that their favorite character did not, in fact, win Soulstorm all because they didn't like the game that came out and said it. Yes, Dawn of War 3 was a bad game, and it lost support from its devs really quickly as a result, but it still happened, it's still canon until the devs retcon it away. What will they do if some new game comes out that's actually good, and it also references the canon winner of Soulstorm, and it's still not their favorite?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 11, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Something that sets Craftworld Biel-Tan apart from other Craftworlds is that rather than just picking an Exarch to be the Young King whenever they need a snack for the Avatar, they elect them to serve for a term of office and if they survive they serve an advisory role along with the other former Young Kings, which goes a long way towards explaining why they're more aggressive than the other Craftworlds since most Eldar prefer that a bunch of literal war addicts aren't making political decisons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair to the Elder the Imperium is insanely xenophobic.

To be fair to the Imperium, every other species is xenophobic as well

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

To be fair to the Imperium, every other species is xenophobic as well

There are some that aren't and also some that the Imperium can't be bothered to kill and so they ignore them, possibly until a later date.

Also the was pages ago but deathwatch are actually more likely to ally with aliens than other spacemarines. Likely for the same reason Ordo Xenos folks waltz around with sanctioned aliens and xenotech.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BlazetheInferno posted:

On a somewhat unrelated note, but still Dawn Of War related... I just want to say that I find it absolutely hysterical that after all these years, the hate for Dawn of War 3 is so strong that people are still DESPERATELY clinging to their headcanon winner for Soulstorm (who was never officially supported in any way and in fact wasn't even the expansion's posterboy-race), despite the fact that the winner was confirmed in Dawn of War 3, and hinted at before that in Dawn of War 2, even if only via an item that was cut before release.

It's just fascinating that they go through these olympic feats of mental gymnastics just to avoid admitting to themselves that their favorite character did not, in fact, win Soulstorm all because they didn't like the game that came out and said it. Yes, Dawn of War 3 was a bad game, and it lost support from its devs really quickly as a result, but it still happened, it's still canon until the devs retcon it away. What will they do if some new game comes out that's actually good, and it also references the canon winner of Soulstorm, and it's still not their favorite?

Okay wait who is the canonical winner for Soulstorm, because I know Boreal straight up is dead and failed according to Dawn of War 2.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay wait who is the canonical winner for Soulstorm, because I know Boreal straight up is dead and failed according to Dawn of War 2.

Gorgutz, the Ork, won it and then got bored and left.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I just want to say that I love Sindri's voiceacting in this part. He somehow manages to be the smuggest, most condescending being in the entire level, despite it being full of Eldar.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Arban posted:

I just want to say that I love Sindri's voiceacting in this part. He somehow manages to be the smuggest, most condescending being in the entire level, despite it being full of Eldar.

There's basically two kinds of Chaos: The sly, smug mastermind guy, and the growling snarling 'I have severe sinus problems' guy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

NewMars posted:

Excellent. Gorgutz is my second favorite warhammer character after Kap'n Bluddflag. Relic absolutely nailed Orks with their writing and voice acting, so I'm always happy to see them win

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
One other factoid about the Executioners I didn't mention was that they have a fairly weird form of use for the Chaplains (who are referred to as Death Speakers). Atypical to most Chapters who tend to have their Librarians handle the records of the Chapter, the Chaplains have a role where an Executioner may visit them and tell them about their kills they have managed to achieve in prosecuting their duties. The Executioner is expected to bring along a trophy as proof of this in cases where the kill is significant, though I imagine that's just in case their helmet doesn't properly record the fight, but after that's done they discard it (unless the kill was like, really impressive). Then during any feasts or celebrations the Chapter and its companies may hold (for even the "Laughing Axe-men" can find cause to celebrate) the Death Speakers get together and recount the "Slaughter-tallies" of the famous dead heroes of the Chapter. Thulsa Kane is the High Speaker of the Dead and on his word a Chapter Master can be toppled if necessary. It's interesting because it makes it a sort of ancestor worship style of thing but also basically puts the onus on forging their legend on the individual Space Marine. The Executioners have traditions that almost resemble the Space Wolves in a lot of ways but there's little in the way of boisterous camaraderie amongst them and they're taught to respond to even the slightest slight with a hell of a load of violence, even if it's from one of their own Chapter.

I like them in no small part because of their time in the Badab Conflict, where it seems like only they and the Salamanders seemed to have their heads on right in understanding what was going on and how to work through it, because even though they were bound by the most grave of blood-debts (the Astral Claws had many centuries before saved the Chapter at the cost of their own Chapter Master at the time) they also understood how grave the actions of their "ally" truly were and in spite of their aforementioned tendency to answer wrongs against them with absolute force they still had enough reason and sense to disengage with their Chapter intact when the opportunity arose in a way that kept their honour intact.

In essence they're seen by many other Chapters as just barbarous and almost savage, but they're far more aware and clever than they seem. It's just that they position themselves as the Headsmen of the Emperor and act accordingly, in all other things they learn from the deeds of the past and are aware of the very pit-falls of their own system even as it binds them. It's just a cool dichotomy that sets them apart from most other Chapters who favour their style of combat (standing directly in your face shooting you with a Bolter).

Oh and that whole thing where they helped pull apart a large heretical religious empire that was trying to take out the Space Wolves? That planet I mentioned them purging the ever-loving poo poo out of was supplying munitions in no small part to that Empire and its siege of Fenris, and because of that and their other efforts in the conflict they had the rare honour of a successor chapter being made from their gene seed. This Chapter is known as the Iron Champions and they've seen no small amount of success in their conflicts too, in particular during the Third War for Armageddon.

God, I feel like just talking about Armageddon when it eventually comes up at some point is going to take like, two podcast episodes because in Winter Assault they namedrop ol Ghaz.

Arban posted:

His VA nails it from the start and somehow manages to up the ante every single mission, he's so drat great.

NewMars posted:

Which ironically is also what happens when you conquer the Ork Stronghold in Soulstorm. I feel like that's telling us that the only winning move was to just leave the system because it's a very silly place.

Gothsheep posted:

There's basically two kinds of Chaos: The sly, smug mastermind guy, and the growling snarling 'I have severe sinus problems' guy.

For as ridiculous as it gets with some of them, I don't think anyone will ever top Crull and his obsession with eyeballs that we're going to enjoy soon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I might have said this before in the thread or elsewhere but for as nice as the Salamanders are considered to be, they can be absolute monsters as well.

Some of you may know that Salamanders have a strong preference for fire weapons and meltas. Then there's the 3rd Company. They really love fire. Also they give absolutely no fucks about if you're a traitor or just someone who had no idea that heresy was amongst them. You're getting burninated. The Pyroclasts as they're otherwise known as have burned countless nobles and have no qualms about turning flamers against rioters either. Wanting to take zero risks about corruption and whatever scrap of evidence comes up later justifies their actions.
So if you're meeting Salamander, you better pray to the throne that you've got troops from the 2nd Company and not the 3rd.

Of course that doesn't mean they're always nice. So to combat an separatist insurgency on Hespher II the Salamander strike force are deployed alongside regiments of the Voltern Cuirassiers, and the Death Korps of Krieg.

For those who don't know much about the Death Korps they're infamously unphased about and essentially specialize in WW1 style trench warfare. Including massed infantry attacks across no mans land.

So the Salamander commander is a bit disturbed by the way these Kriegers act, both in regards to their own lives and the insurgets. Because he's very much interested in offering forgiveness to the separatists that are able to see the error of their ways.
The Death Korps gives absolutely no fucks about that and just kills them all.
It all comes to a head later when Death Korps shell a hab-complex to ruins, because they are very, very fond of artillery barrages. While that doesn't seem all special, they did this while the Salamanders are doing sweep-and-capture operations in the same complex.

So the Salamanders have been bloodied by this but they're not exactly unbowed by what has just happened. The Captain goes directly towards the IG HQ and demands entry to it.
What transpires inside is unknown but the effects are clear. When the Captain leaves the Voltern present get to see something that was considered to be impossible.
Kriegers showing signs of feeling genuine terror.

After that the rest of the campaign is run on the Salamanders' terms and they and the Kriegers depart on mutually frosty terms.

I will admit that after this episode the Executioners are on my list of Marine Chapters that are cool and good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sindri is the best voice in the entire game and no chaos lord or sorcerer ever reaches his level in the entire series. Honestly even Lord Bale is cooler than the rest of the chaos lords. Sure he snarls and probably goes through a lot of napkins but he sounds like he is just barely restraining himself from splattering your blood all over the room.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking of the techpriests of Mars, the intro to the Mechanicus game sums up really well how they feel about their human bodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

White Coke posted:

Found this fan animation recently. It really captures what Space Marines are like in fluff.
Here's a link to the official YT channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Astartes40k/. The author is working on a new Space Marine-related project, so any new video will likely be uploaded there.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

More recently the Minotaurs played a big role in the Hexarchy Crisis; which was a coup launched by five current and former High Lords who were unhappy with Guilliman's sweeping reforms. The High Lords brought in the Minotaurs to brutally put down a series of cultist uprisings on Terra (that they were secretly directing) and once they had the support of the general population they declared that Guilliman's reforms were an illegal power grab and that they were the true rulers of the Imperium. The coup ended when the Master of Assassins revealed that he had been in Guilliman's camp all along and had the other four Hexarchs killed simultaneously.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Digging into what the Traitor Legions were like before the Heresy also tends to be pretty interesting. I already mentioned the World Eaters, back then called the War Hounds, but what about the Word Bearers, the first legion to fall to Chaos?

Funny thing is, they'd fit into the modern Imperium with no one batting an eye. They were the first - and indeed only Founding Legion - to worship the Emperor as a god. Lorgar, their primarch, had powerful psychic gifts, and he united his homeworld in a religious crusade in the name of a golden god Lorgar had seen in his dreams. He didn't know it at the time, but his planet was ruled by Chaos, and Lorgar quite happily cleansed and purged his world in the name of the Emperor. When the Emperor finally showed up, to a world united in worshiping him by Lorgar, the high priest and prophet of the Emperor, he... said okay, here's your legion. And Lorgar very quickly converted his entire legion to the Emperor's worship.

In their heyday, the Word Bearers would be almost indistinguishable from, say, the Black Templars of modern 40k: a legion of zealots and crusaders who had a particularly rabid hatred of all things 'unnatural,' and spent as much time converting the populace of worlds they conquered to the Emperor's worship as they did actually fighting their enemies.

In fact, Lorgar wrote a book called the Lectitio Divinitatus, a book that still exists in 40k as the central holy book of the Ecclesiarchy, the Imperial Cult, and is very much a stand-in for the Bible.

That Lorgar later wrote the Book of Lorgar, the central holy book of Chaos Undivided, is, well, one of those funny things (because the Emperor didn't realize the primarchs were in fact human beings and not blindly obedient weapons).

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Sindri is Scott McNeill doing a kind of evil version of Beast Wars Silverbolt. And Lord Bale is McNeill doing his Dinobot voice pretty straight, including the snarls.So any time you see Sindri and Bale arguing with each other, that's just McNeill doing what he does best, arguing with himself.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nearly. It would be Khaine lives in death! Khaine lives in death! Khaine..... LIVES! (horrible sounds of fire god murder).

Hah, I was actually referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E. . Different series with an immortal, impossibly charismatic leader who uses his infinite will to bend humanity to match his vision.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cradok posted:

Sindri is Scott McNeill doing a kind of evil version of Beast Wars Silverbolt. And Lord Bale is McNeill doing his Dinobot voice pretty straight, including the snarls.So any time you see Sindri and Bale arguing with each other, that's just McNeill doing what he does best, arguing with himself.

Hah, I was actually referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E. . Different series with an immortal, impossibly charismatic leader who uses his infinite will to bend humanity to match his vision.

And another one where people would rather pretend the last game in the series never happened. :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cradok posted:

Oh I knew what you were referencing, I just couldn’t help the desire to spell it out with the actual Eldar god name.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

And another one where people would rather pretend the last game in the series never happened. :v:
Pretend? There is no CnC4.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cythereal posted:

Digging into what the Traitor Legions were like before the Heresy also tends to be pretty interesting. I already mentioned the World Eaters, back then called the War Hounds, but what about the Word Bearers, the first legion to fall to Chaos?

Funny thing is, they'd fit into the modern Imperium with no one batting an eye. They were the first - and indeed only Founding Legion - to worship the Emperor as a god. Lorgar, their primarch, had powerful psychic gifts, and he united his homeworld in a religious crusade in the name of a golden god Lorgar had seen in his dreams. He didn't know it at the time, but his planet was ruled by Chaos, and Lorgar quite happily cleansed and purged his world in the name of the Emperor. When the Emperor finally showed up, to a world united in worshiping him by Lorgar, the high priest and prophet of the Emperor, he... said okay, here's your legion. And Lorgar very quickly converted his entire legion to the Emperor's worship.

In their heyday, the Word Bearers would be almost indistinguishable from, say, the Black Templars of modern 40k: a legion of zealots and crusaders who had a particularly rabid hatred of all things 'unnatural,' and spent as much time converting the populace of worlds they conquered to the Emperor's worship as they did actually fighting their enemies.

In fact, Lorgar wrote a book called the Lectitio Divinitatus, a book that still exists in 40k as the central holy book of the Ecclesiarchy, the Imperial Cult, and is very much a stand-in for the Bible.

That Lorgar later wrote the Book of Lorgar, the central holy book of Chaos Undivided, is, well, one of those funny things (because the Emperor didn't realize the primarchs were in fact human beings and not blindly obedient weapons).

I think at the bottom of things, Lorgar never stopped worshipping the Emperor. All of it, Horus Heresy, everything etc, Was to make sure that the Emperor would be worshipped. Regardless of The Emperor's opinion on the matter.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

At least you can just ignore DoW3...

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ThingOne posted:

More recently the Minotaurs played a big role in the Hexarchy Crisis; which was a coup launched by five current and former High Lords who were unhappy with Guilliman's sweeping reforms. The High Lords brought in the Minotaurs to brutally put down a series of cultist uprisings on Terra (that they were secretly directing) and once they had the support of the general population they declared that Guilliman's reforms were an illegal power grab and that they were the true rulers of the Imperium. The coup ended when the Master of Assassins revealed that he had been in Guilliman's camp all along and had the other four Hexarchs killed simultaneously.

Incredibly on brand for the Master of Assassins.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Sindri is the best voice in the entire game and no chaos lord or sorcerer ever reaches his level in the entire series. Honestly even Lord Bale is cooler than the rest of the chaos lords. Sure he snarls and probably goes through a lot of napkins but he sounds like he is just barely restraining himself from splattering your blood all over the room.

I liked Eliphas The Inheritor, too. He was the only Chaos Lord who also did the cool 'All according to plan' attitude, and showed that it doesn't always break down to 'Sorcerers are smug and intelligent, Chaos Lords are growly and dumb.'

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Incredibly on brand for the Master of Assassins.

You'd think the High Lords would learn at some point. The whole coup attempt was hilarious since not only were they trying to argue the Lex Imperialis with the man who wrote it they thought they could win a game of cloak-and-dagger against the Primarch who was literally made to be the best politician the galaxy's ever seen.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ThingOne posted:

You'd think the High Lords would learn at some point. The whole coup attempt was hilarious since not only were they trying to argue the Lex Imperialis with the man who wrote it they thought they could win a game of cloak-and-dagger against the Primarch who was literally made to be the best politician the galaxy's ever seen.

Horus was the best politician, Guilliman is the best logistician and organizer.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Pretend? There is no CnC4.

I second this.

Edit: When are you going to replace all your troops with terminators and just a-move across the map?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 12, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I second this.

Edit: When are you going to replace all your troops with terminators and just a-move across the map?

It'd take about six hours real time for a Terminator to walk across a map. I thought we'd have to wait until we were playing the Necrons to get that 'a-move, make a sandwich, come back and see how the fight is going' gameplay.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I dunno, compared to eternity being at Slaanesh' nonexistent mercy being completely unmade sounds like almost a relief...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Coke posted:

Horus was the best politician, Guilliman is the best logistician and organizer.

Horus was a conqueror, he was made to inspire men and take worlds. Guilliman was the one whose idea of a fun day was writing a treatise on practical application of law while looking over production records to find efficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Horus was a conqueror, he was made to inspire men and take worlds. Guilliman was the one whose idea of a fun day was writing a treatise on practical application of law while looking over production records to find efficiencies.

Exactly, Horus was charismatic and made people like him. Guilliman is a technocrat who can run things but isn’t great at making people like him. Horus would delegate everything in a civilian administration while Guilliman can fill military and civilian functions equally well.