Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

OhFunny posted:

The Ducky One 2 Skyline still a good buy? It's obvious better then the old Dell keyboard I'm using, but I'm wondering if anything has super seceded it at that price point since the OP was written. Thanks.

Duckys have fantastic build quality on par with the best vintage boards, they won't really be deprecated by new tech unless there are features you want like volume wheels or opto-mechanical or hall effect switches or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

OhFunny posted:

The Ducky One 2 Skyline still a good buy? It's obvious better then the old Dell keyboard I'm using, but I'm wondering if anything has super seceded it at that price point since the OP was written. Thanks.

I do not know about Skyline, but I have a Ducky One 2, RGB, full-size and it's awesome. I've had it since March or April 2019 and is still awesome.

go fly a bike
May 22, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I got a One 2 Skyline TKL last month and I'm happy with it.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Today at 11:11am Pacific Time (about an hour from now) the group buy for return of the Magic Girl DSA keycaps goes live!

Then at 11:11pm Pacific (i.e. 12 hours after that), Rama Works is launching their KARA keyboard which looks generally nice and is a big deal for Rama Works because it's the first time they did a keyboard (other than macropads and whatnot) that cost less than $300 or so.

I've apparently started buying keyboard kits as a way to de-stress (which can be counterproductive when I get intensely frustrated when something goes wrong), and I'm really happy with the RoMac+ I built from a kit from littlekeyboards.com.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1325639334070906883

I also have an Alpha28 and a Pancakep on the way. This is going to be an expensive month.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there any indication whether the USB port on the GMMK Pro is recessed like you see on some TKL keyboards (where the USB plug doesn't add any depth and the cord can route entirely under the keyboard rather than sticking out from behind)? Looking at the tight spacing for the F-keys, I'm guessing there's not room to have it recessed much, but I'm hoping I'm wrong about that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Put in a reservation for a GMMK Pro, gently caress it, finally a price thats a bit more palatable. Considered waiting for the ISO version but I wanna try out ANSI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ewen Cluney posted:

Today at 11:11am Pacific Time (about an hour from now) the group buy for return of the Magic Girl DSA keycaps goes live!

Then at 11:11pm Pacific (i.e. 12 hours after that), Rama Works is launching their KARA keyboard which looks generally nice and is a big deal for Rama Works because it's the first time they did a keyboard (other than macropads and whatnot) that cost less than $300 or so.

I've apparently started buying keyboard kits as a way to de-stress (which can be counterproductive when I get intensely frustrated when something goes wrong), and I'm really happy with the RoMac+ I built from a kit from littlekeyboards.com.

I also have an Alpha28 and a Pancakep on the way. This is going to be an expensive month.

MKUltra loving rules and I cannot shill them enough.
Everyone go pay them a visit.

https://mkultra.click/

Go buy KAT Napoleonic while you're there.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Must not buy for a light-coloured build must not buy for a pastel build must not buy for a pastel build...

I don't even have a pastel build, but I've been seeing the development of these caps on instagram over the last two months and they are so sexy.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

lmao, I am now at the point where my husband's response to me telling him a package with a gift for him contained "a replacement for something" was "...this better not be another keyboard" :negative:

I only have four!!! (my 2 numpads don't count)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
First time shopping for mechanical, looking for something good for typing. With regards to that, I'm not really sure what to look for aside from probably something in the 60-80% area. I saw the magic force in the OP and that looks like a good start (price wise especially) so just wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for typing use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kingtheninja posted:

First time shopping for mechanical, looking for something good for typing. With regards to that, I'm not really sure what to look for aside from probably something in the 60-80% area. I saw the magic force in the OP and that looks like a good start (price wise especially) so just wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for typing use.
MagicForce 68 isn't a terrible keyboard. And for $40 it's tough to beat. If you don't go too far down this rabbit hole and just need a works then do that. Or if you want to spend more then get a Durgod Taurus TKL with Cherry Black switches and stop there.

If you're truly lookin to get a board that is satisfying to you then keep reading.
What's your budget and what do you expect to get out of it?
Can you be more specific than 'good for typing?' Most keyboards do the typing thing pretty well. Do you mean typing as opposed to a keyboard that's just 'good for gaming'? (I personally hate those dichotomous distinctions)

Since this is going to be your first mechanical keyboard, you probably don't have any clear direction of what you're looking for. If possible, you should try a few things out to see what tickles your fancy before you start throwing money at something you might not enjoy.
Go to BestBuy/Microcenter/ whatever local electronics store nearby that has mechanical keyboards and ask if you can try out a few. Consider the size and layout of the keyboard, the brand and type of switches it has (Cherry/Gateron/Outemu/etc), whether or not it is something that is visually appealing to you, the sound that it makes when typing, and most importantly, if it is something that is comfortable for you to type on. The point of this is to narrow down the vast array of choices to things that might fit your preference. If there are things you don't care about, then take note of those too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd be using it for word processing almost exclusively, writing for work. The taurus seems like a pretty good 'dabbling' option, I wasn't looking to go higher than 150 really.

I'm way out of my knowledge area here, but outside of price I just want something that would be comfy for extended periods of typing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Having used both, my opinion is that at the ~$50 budget level the build quality of the Tecware Phantom is waaaaaay better than the Magicforce. The OP is somewhat out of date, IMO.

Personally I would recommend going cheap for your very first mechanical keyboard, because whatever kind of switches you get, you're going to use it a while and then say "hmmmm, I kinda think I'd like to get this other kind of switch..." Plus even a cheap mechanical will be leaps and bounds beyond any rubber dome, in terms of tactile experience.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Nam Taf posted:

Must not buy for a light-coloured build must not buy for a pastel build must not buy for a pastel build...

I don't even have a pastel build, but I've been seeing the development of these caps on instagram over the last two months and they are so sexy.
I got the core set and novelties as well, and I'm planning to put them on the KARA (though the KARA ships Q1 next year while the Magic Girl is supposed to come in May 2021, so I'm fighting the temptation to buy another set of keycaps for the interim, though I'm also hype about Rama Works' KATE keycaps) and probably a numpad and macropad as well, though I still haven't found a numpad I like to replace the cheap one I've been using.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Eric the Mauve posted:

Having used both, my opinion is that at the ~$50 budget level the build quality of the Tecware Phantom is waaaaaay better than the Magicforce. The OP is somewhat out of date, IMO.

Personally I would recommend going cheap for your very first mechanical keyboard, because whatever kind of switches you get, you're going to use it a while and then say "hmmmm, I kinda think I'd like to get this other kind of switch..." Plus even a cheap mechanical will be leaps and bounds beyond any rubber dome, in terms of tactile experience.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'd be using it for word processing almost exclusively, writing for work. The taurus seems like a pretty good 'dabbling' option, I wasn't looking to go higher than 150 really.

I'm way out of my knowledge area here, but outside of price I just want something that would be comfy for extended periods of typing.

How do you type? Like, do you have good posture, typing form? do you hover your hands or rest them heavily on the keys? how accurate are you? do you touch type? how hard do you hit the keys? how long until your hands get tired/ fatigued? what's your wpm?

Also, why 60-80%? what are you looking to eliminate and what do you hope to achieve by trimming down the size of your keyboard?

e: if you get an opportunity I highly recommend trying both a Topre board as well as one with MX type switches.

Filco and Leopold both make good topre boards
https://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87M-EB2/dp/B004WOF7QM
https://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87M-EFB2/dp/B004ZJPSGI/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 12, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ewen Cluney posted:

That looks like a really nice macropad and a great alternative to the duckboard.

Does the case come with the kit?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

LochNessMonster posted:

That looks like a really nice macropad and a great alternative to the duckboard.

Does the case come with the kit?
It does: https://www.littlekeyboards.com/products/romac

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

MKUltra loving rules and I cannot shill them enough.
Everyone go pay them a visit.

https://mkultra.click/

Go buy KAT Napoleonic while you're there.

I'm in love with their Nord set. But it's about $150 for the set, which for someone still getting into this seems quite on the high side. One other reason I'm not pulling the trigger just yet is that the product description lists them as ABS plastic, while I thought upper scale caps usually used PBT. Are there aesthetic or other reasons they would use ABS, or is a $150 price point too cheap to warrant better plastic?

https://mkultra.click/collections/gb-gmk-nord/products/gb-gmk-nord

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is it possible to setup a pad like that to toggle between different applications for volume control?
e.g. I would like to be able to have it set to something like:
Key 1 = Encoder controls system volume
Key 2 = Encoder controls Discord volume
Key 3 = Encoder controls active application volume.

edit:
Whooosshh
Missed the bit about QMK in it's description. Probably is a way then.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 13, 2020

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Clockwerk posted:

One other reason I'm not pulling the trigger just yet is that the product description lists them as ABS plastic, while I thought upper scale caps usually used PBT. Are there aesthetic or other reasons they would use ABS, or is a $150 price point too cheap to warrant better plastic?

My understanding is that you can get much more saturated colors on ABS.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Clockwerk posted:

I'm in love with their Nord set. But it's about $150 for the set, which for someone still getting into this seems quite on the high side. One other reason I'm not pulling the trigger just yet is that the product description lists them as ABS plastic, while I thought upper scale caps usually used PBT. Are there aesthetic or other reasons they would use ABS, or is a $150 price point too cheap to warrant better plastic?

https://mkultra.click/collections/gb-gmk-nord/products/gb-gmk-nord

There are pros and cons to both PBT and ABS.
Objectively, ABS produces more saturated colors. But will shine more easily than PBT.
Some people prefer the feeling of PBT over ABS but that's very much a preference thing.
As for the rest, most of it comes down to capabilities of the manufacturer and how well they QC their sets.

GMK ABS is top tier, and $137 is pretty on par with most GMK sets.
What you're paying for over a $120 GMK set is the Base kit compatibility with different boards. There's a whole bunch of keys in the base kit that are friendly to various layouts (its 40% layout compatibility is good).
FOR EXAMPLE: ISO enter, 1.75u backspace, R2 1u pipe, R4 1u pipe, stepped caps, R3 control (to replace capslock), and 1.25u shift
Also $$ is the fact that there's 4 escape keys; 3 are mod colored. There's 2 mod colored pipe keys, a mod colored tilde, and an assortment of homing keys to support 65% layouts.

A good comparison would be something like GMK Hallyu which also has an ISO Enter and 40% layout support, and it's $130.
Now if all you will ever use is a standard TKL then that's a lot of plastic you're paying for and not using.

The one thing that both sets are missing that makes me sad though is that neither has a second B in the base kit for split layout keyboards like the Alice. At least Hallyu has it in the spacebars kit, but I'm surprised that Nord only has blanks in their spacebar kit.

e: oh I almost forgot to mention. GMK Nord GB is over so anything available now is strictly Preorders pricing so that's a bit of a premium over GB pricing usually. Considering that you can pay $137 for a set that will be out in just a few short months (Q1 2021) that's actually quite a deal. GMK Hallyu by comparison, probably won't be around until September 2021 so that extra few bucks is looking pretty affordable all of a sudden.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 13, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It's out of stock buit I noticed Kingly Keys is open for pre orders with shipping expected later this month.

Gonna have a look and see what other stuff I still need. If only I could get a complete kit with an elite-c, oled screen wires, rotary encoder, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

It's out of stock buit I noticed Kingly Keys is open for pre orders with shipping expected later this month.

Gonna have a look and see what other stuff I still need. If only I could get a complete kit with an elite-c, oled screen wires, rotary encoder, etc.

That thing is cute AF. Too bad there's no holes on the bottom right for rotart encoder support because this thing would make a great left handed numpad.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

.Z. posted:

Is it possible to setup a pad like that to toggle between different applications for volume control?
e.g. I would like to be able to have it set to something like:
Key 1 = Encoder controls system volume
Key 2 = Encoder controls Discord volume
Key 3 = Encoder controls active application volume.

edit:
Whooosshh
Missed the bit about QMK in it's description. Probably is a way then.

You probably won't find a way to do those since QMK is mostly about sending keycodes from the hardware to your OS. You'd likely need a software solution running on the OS for this (AutoHotkey, etc.). What you can do in QMK is map key 1 to make the encoder map VolUp and VolDown, make key 2 map the encoder to F13 and F14, etc..

Then your software can use F13 and F14 to control the active application or something. This use case is pretty common with MIDI controllers, actually. People use Power Mixer from ActualSolution, or if you have a compatible MIDI controller, nk2tray is pretty nifty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxscBWjlrlc

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Has anyone done the custom art WASDKeyboards key caps? I can't quite tell what color the plastic of the keycap ends up having.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Thank you for the explanation!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Abs is trash. PBT for life.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Anyone have a recommendation for a switch opener? The NovelKeys one is OOS and I've read a couple of places the the KBDFans one isn't great and can be tough on the switch housings.

Really only need to open Kailh housings for now.

ChineseBuffet fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 14, 2020

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_WAwo7S4M

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The "e" key on my K95 (MX Brown) is starting to intermittently register a double hit. Would it be useful to spray some contact cleaner in to it while still attached to the board or is this something where I'd need to actually remove the switch from the board and take it apart?

On a better note, my Moonlander shipped yesterday and should be arriving on Monday.

For those of you already using an Ergodox-style board, how long did it take for you to get used to it? Did you stick with a more or less standard QWERTY layout or do you heavily customize it, use Dvorak/Colemak, etc? If you use a non-QWERTY layout does it make it more challenging to use other people's computers with standard keyboards?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wolrah posted:

The "e" key on my K95 (MX Brown) is starting to intermittently register a double hit. Would it be useful to spray some contact cleaner in to it while still attached to the board or is this something where I'd need to actually remove the switch from the board and take it apart?

On a better note, my Moonlander shipped yesterday and should be arriving on Monday.

For those of you already using an Ergodox-style board, how long did it take for you to get used to it? Did you stick with a more or less standard QWERTY layout or do you heavily customize it, use Dvorak/Colemak, etc? If you use a non-QWERTY layout does it make it more challenging to use other people's computers with standard keyboards?

I'd start with spraying some contact cleaner into the key while its depressed and then tap on it a lot. It often fixes things up and one little can of deoxit will last years. If the problem persists then move on to replacing the switch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oldstench posted:

I got a Durgod Taurus K310 with Cherry Reds for about $100 from Amazon and it's been great so far.

I was looking at keyboard recs from the last page and ultimately went with this one and I LOVE this keyboard. Going from flat keys on a laptop to this keyboard is a dream and I feel like writing is viscerally fun again. Thank you so much.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

so, it's funny, Neurosis asked this earlier and I forgot to reply, but ever since that post, I've been hyper aware of my hand positioning while using my Keychron. I do use a wrist rest, but I've been trying to be more ergonomic with my setup at home, and one thing I've read is that your wrists should never actually rest on the wrist rest while typing. I've found this pretty easy to do, but I have found that I naturally wind up resting my wrist on the rest while doing WASD gaming. I think this is okay if you got a comfy wrist rest (I've got a Grifiti) and aren't doing lots of marathon MMO sessions, but others who are more versed in the hellscape of wrist problems I will at some point encounter in the future might have thoughts on that :v:

the thing is, I've been thinking about other keyboards I've had in the past, and I'm not actually sure that it's any taller than other mechanical keyboards. other folks can chime in here, but outside of the weird and controversial various low-profile keyboards out there, I kinda assume the listed "30mm - 41mm" height with keycaps (from front to rear) is more or less standard?

I would say you should definitely avoid using the feet on this keyboard, since that'll naturally bend your wrists further down

Thanks, I have seen this. After looking at the dimensions of other keyboards I've used I'm not so sure that the K series are really that bad in dimensions either. I'm currently using a Coolermaster MK730, which I got pretty cheap and I actually liked quite a bit once I replaced the keycaps, and while the tilt might be more aggressive on the keychron, the total height is very similar. I'm currently humming and hawing and havering between my various choices so I still haven't pulled the trigger but a K2 or K6 with a replacement set of keycaps is definitely appealing. (I wish more of the enthusiast boards had bluetooth or wireless options, as an aside; with the insane number of devices I have around nowadays anything which can help reduce cord clutter is a huge +.)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
How do y'all clean your keyboards/keycaps when necessary? I shed long, curly hair constantly and while I don't have the gooniest desk habits there are at least a few snack crumbs in there, it's starting to look a bit grungy. I was thinking I'd just pry all the caps off and run a vacuum over the board itself. Should I maybe wash/rinse the keys, too, since they're all off anyways?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, but more out of habit for cleaning electronics than having ever thought about it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

How do y'all clean your keyboards/keycaps when necessary? I shed long, curly hair constantly and while I don't have the gooniest desk habits there are at least a few snack crumbs in there, it's starting to look a bit grungy. I was thinking I'd just pry all the caps off and run a vacuum over the board itself. Should I maybe wash/rinse the keys, too, since they're all off anyways?

Maintenance: Blast the board with an air duster and wipe the keys down with a microfiber.

Deep Clean: Pull the keycaps off, then blast the board with an air duster. Afterwards go over it with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol for anything stuck in the crevasses. The keycaps will go into a small ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of dish soap. This gets done it batches since it's not a particularly large cleaner. Then pat it all and let it air dry.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yup, my DataVac duster is like one of the best investments I've made. Works awesome with all sorts of electronics. Beats using disposable compressed air cans or vacuuming awkwardly.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Drop just announced their Shift High-Profile keyboard, and I think it hits all the points I want: High-profile, removable cable, 1800 layout, and available in black. The worst part is it doesn't ship until next summer.

I've got the standard (low-profile) Shift in silver, and I like it. I just wish it were black and high profile. Since the majority of the community seems to hate numpads, this seems like my best bet. This may be the closest end-game I get until/unless the Boston comes out.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 17, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This may be the closest end-game I get until/unless the Boston comes out.

Ooh, that looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, the Drop 1800 is pretty awesome. I just wish it had more 2u keys on the numpad.

The Boston does look really interesting too, though it sounds like he won't be able to do the really cool engraving on the brass weight.

That said, I really regret selling my Austin, and I'm hoping they do an R3 so I can get another without spending $1000 for another. It really is a perfect 1800 layout with just about everything I want (except maybe replacing the lonely Scroll Lock key with a clicky rotary encoder).