Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Achmed Jones posted:

Isnt dac digital to analogue converter, not digital audio converter?

yeah, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

til DTMF tones with very short envelopes played rhythmically with some verb sounds more or less like a flamenco dancer's shoes

or maybe an excited horse im not sure

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQpbH8iMQDo

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finally got around to proving out the concept that I can make a Magic Leap augmented reality app controlled by my OP-Z synthesizer. Now I have to do the actual hard part, design and build the game you play with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOrldKX0tI

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

EBB posted:

til DTMF tones with very short envelopes played rhythmically with some verb sounds more or less like a flamenco dancer's shoes

or maybe an excited horse im not sure

My man have you heard about Musique Concrete...?

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

snorch posted:

It's been eight years with the An1x and it never gets old. I've heard it called the poor man's virus, but really it's like a poor man's Prophet. It's just so full of juicy sounds and weird surprises.

It's been over twenty years with the Cs1x and I still feel bad for having my dad buy it for me, we didn't even have any money. :( This is a common story for Cs1x owners because it's a hateful blue piece of poo poo

The recordable envelopes/parameters -thing the An1x has seems like such a great idea and should be on every digital synth at this point really, and out of the JP8000-MS2000-An1x -trio of big nineties VA's it's the one that sounds genuinely nice still.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

It's been eight years with the An1x and it never gets old. I've heard it called the poor man's virus, but really it's like a poor man's Prophet. It's just so full of juicy sounds and weird surprises.

For me it was the poor man's JP8000 because that one had a boatload of knobs and the AN1x didn't.

At a certain point I got on a buying spree of VAs, and I got a JP8080 to finally figure out what it was all about. Really didn't gel with it, the AN1x might've lacked the supersaw but it sounded better and more interesting to me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So after a few weeks with the neutron I've ordered a small skiff and power supply. First modules are going to be a dual vca and a cold mac, then either Pamela's new workout or ornament and crime.

Some European site leaked picture of a korg sq-64. Doesn't look like there's knobs per step, and all the info seems to be taken down now, but gonna wait for details on that before springing for a cv sequencer.

E: here's the best image I could find

field balm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 8, 2020

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

How’s the interface? Is it menu-divey or is everything pretty easily accessible?

Most parameters are pretty easy access. There are a few different "pages" across eight knobs, and with experience they become pretty intuitive. Deeper editing is a pain, because everything is done through these +/- buttons which can get a bit divey and it can take a while to become familiar and fluent with the parameters. This unfortunately also includes the naming of presets. It's still a pretty good compromise considering the overall depth you get, I just wish there was an encoder or jog wheel for the right-hand side of the interface.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

field balm posted:

E: here's the best image I could find

Korg give us the babby SCHALTWERK

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Influencer videos have been out for like twelve hours and we still haven't posted about the Opsix, thread is dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU8BMCAxlH4

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
maybe because its not that exciting?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Clavavisage posted:

maybe because its not that exciting?

I've looked at it for five minutes and I already feel like I'd rather have one of them than a DX7 so good job Korg, I guess.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

"Better than a notoriously difficult to deal with 30 year old digital synth that can ben 100% replicated in software" is not the brightest selling point though

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I've looked at it for five minutes and I already feel like I'd rather have one of them than a DX7 so good job Korg, I guess.

Yep this is a "this is what it is" - nothing really new under the sun but it does what it says on the tin. My "I want an FM synth" feelings were immediately surpassed by a "I don't want to bother deep diving on an FM synth". Maybe after I get the Wavestate figured out... so never I guess. I'm sure it's someone's bag, just not really much new here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It's like getting excited over a new year's revision of Fender Strat, or maybe more like a tube amp or effects processor given the whole "can be easily replicated and surpassed by desktop software". People have been begging Korg to keep its old synths in production or make contemporary, updated versions for literally decades. Korg appears to have listened to an extent.

Maybe the guy who was in here a few weeks ago insisting that he needed a DX7 in his studio will feel a pang of buyer's remorse. Probably not, since the whole DX7 owners' cult has nothing to do with actually using the synthesizer and everything to do with celebrating it as a historical design object and cultural touchstone (which is 100% valid, mind you).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how many knobby FM synths with filters? not that many..

for that much I'm still going for the wavestate, which I think you can get for $700 now if you ask nice

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Huh. It certainly appeals to me -- I like the quasi-modular aspect of choosing between different ways of modulating a carrier, along with a VA synth option or two. Kinda wish it was able to use the NTS effect programs that Sinevibes has been putting out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if I get an fm synth is gonna be a digitone imo

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
New Cubase landed with no fanfare as usual.
No new synths but Spectralayers is now included and the vocal removal in that is pure voodoo

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any of you modular lads use sequencers module? If so, what? Or is everyone on the bsp train these days?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

field balm posted:

Any of you modular lads use sequencers module? If so, what? Or is everyone on the bsp train these days?

Not a modular lad (yet) but I've been seeing a lot of people really digging the big Moog-clone Behringer System 55 module + switcher module companion.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

how many knobby FM synths with filters? not that many..

for that much I'm still going for the wavestate, which I think you can get for $700 now if you ask nice

This? I want one but I already have enough bills this month. Those chips are going to run out. Is this what you're referring to? Wavestates are a dime a dozen, these aren't going to last.

Edit: Oh Korg Opsix... yeeeeeaaahh I don't care

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 11, 2020

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

field balm posted:

I am about to trade out my hexinverter orbitals for that new erica black sequencer that should be for sale in a few days. Tactile encoders that are super immediate to get at with many modern functions.

The Extralife sweet sixteen seems really useful if you are into the Voltage Block-style modules. Also a diy covid project kit.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

I use the Erica synths drum sequencer which is a great 16 tracks trigger sequencer. Then 3 of these tracks are used to trigger a rené 2 and mimetic digitalis for 7 additional CV tracks.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

I am about to trade out my hexinverter orbitals for that new erica black sequencer that should be for sale in a few days. Tactile encoders that are super immediate to get at with many modern functions.

The Extralife sweet sixteen seems really useful if you are into the Voltage Block-style modules. Also a diy covid project kit.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not a modular lad (yet) but I've been seeing a lot of people really digging the big Moog-clone Behringer System 55 module + switcher module companion.

These all look good but they're huge modules! I'd probably need another rack to fit them. That erica sequencer is very tempting though, seems to have about every feature I'd want. Would love to hear your opinion on it once you get it in.

I've got Pamela's new workout on the way which should cover all my gate/trigger/lfo needs, just gotta get a way to get non-random pitch into stuff. I'm looking at ornaments and crime and it looks powerful but very menu divey, which isn't ideal. Might just pick up a sequential switch and see if that is enough?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Oh and I forgot that for a time I used 2 SQ-1. They're cheap and awesome and don't take rack space

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Oh and I forgot that for a time I used 2 SQ-1. They're cheap and awesome and don't take rack space

True, these are so cheap I guess it doesn't really make sense not to own one if you have a modular hey

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

field balm posted:

I've got Pamela's new workout on the way which should cover all my gate/trigger/lfo needs, just gotta get a way to get non-random pitch into stuff. I'm looking at ornaments and crime and it looks powerful but very menu divey, which isn't ideal. Might just pick up a sequential switch and see if that is enough?

I use an Arpitecht as a quantizer/arp source on my lead lines. With a properly clocked system (which you have with Pams) you can drive enough timed random LFOs and gates to mask notes, change slides to change up a line while using a sequential switch to do your chord changes. You can probably get some 2hp stuff to do similar stuff.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

field balm posted:

Mostly I like free-running things. Bindubba (and other NLC builds) + a quantizer has given interesting but hard to control results for me. A mix of switches, clock division, and S&H keeps it interesting. Befaco makes the Muxlicer, which acts like a sequencer or a voltage-controlled 8-channel switch. Lots of options for variation there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just recently went down a “uh oh I like fm sounds” hole and ended up with a Reface DX. I don’t like software synths and all the competitor fm synths were either not quite what I wanted feature/pricewise or had really awful interfaces. I usually hate menu diving a ton but the interface of the Reface is a dream. It’s so easy to use your ears and dial in sounds. The keybed is amazing too if that matters to you. Even the effects are killer and I’m overly picky about that kind of thing. It’s seriously such a neat piece of gear that doesn’t get much recognition.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
The whole reface line is awesome. I have a cp but would love to have basically the entire collection

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It owns, even the built-in speakers are decent enough to be useful. About the only bad thing about it are the touch ribbons - it's not a dealbreaker by any means, they just don't work as well as they thought they would, they make you wish for a knob.

Maybe it's just me being bad (I am admittedly really, really bad), but my idea to learn it a bit better by trying to convert select madFame's DX7 patches to it (recalculate 0-100 range into 0-127, swap some 2-operator stacks for feedback doing the same thing, etc.) failed miserably, it really seems to be a different engine underneath.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Oh and I forgot that for a time I used 2 SQ-1.

Speaking of Ensoniq, here is my SQ-2. For a MIDI controller, I can split the keys at Middle-C, so 2.5 octaves for 1 synth on MIDI channel 1, and 2.5 octaves for a separate synth on MIDI channel 2. Its really pretty perfect, got to love that all steel build quality.

Oh it also does orchestral sounds really well. The Woodwinds and Brass for examples would pop out real well in a mix of analog, fm, and chipsounds.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 12, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just recently went down a “uh oh I like fm sounds” hole and ended up with a Reface DX. I don’t like software synths and all the competitor fm synths were either not quite what I wanted feature/pricewise or had really awful interfaces. I usually hate menu diving a ton but the interface of the Reface is a dream. It’s so easy to use your ears and dial in sounds. The keybed is amazing too if that matters to you. Even the effects are killer and I’m overly picky about that kind of thing. It’s seriously such a neat piece of gear that doesn’t get much recognition.

Isn’t it like heavily feature limited in some way compared to the DX-7?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cheese Thief posted:

Speaking of Ensoniq, here is my SQ-2. For a MIDI controller, I can split the keys at Middle-C, so 2.5 octaves for 1 synth on MIDI channel 1, and 2.5 octaves for a separate synth on MIDI channel 2. Its really pretty perfect, got to love that all steel build quality.

Oh it also does orchestral sounds really well. The Woodwinds and Brass for examples would pop out real well in a mix of analog, fm, and chipsounds.

Joining the SQ parade. I loved that thing (SQ1) and I was sad when I had to give it back to the dude I borrowed it from.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I feel like given the context he meant the korg sq1 but this stuff is still cool lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd like the (Korg) SQ1 much better if it had a reset input. Without one I have trouble integrating it with my stuff and I haven't touched it in years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/ravC-Bin9HA

that thomann build list is :chanpop:

Model 15 for <$1500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

field balm posted:

I feel like given the context he meant the korg sq1 but this stuff is still cool lol

I suppose you're probably right.