Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait dimension tps is at 20 but overall sucks? That sounds like your host's CPU sucks, honestly, because it doesn't seem like it's being caused by anything happening in the game itself. That's such a small pack you're playing, I don't really see how it could cause such problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Wait dimension tps is at 20 but overall sucks? That sounds like your host's CPU sucks, honestly, because it doesn't seem like it's being caused by anything happening in the game itself. That's such a small pack you're playing, I don't really see how it could cause such problems.

Basically every time the server ended up lagging (rollbacks when mining/moving around, delays when opening chests/crafting tables, entities standing still in place before suddenly doing a bunch of stuff at once, falling through the floor when riding minecarts, etc) I noticed that the RAM usage ended up being very high (above 90%). The CPU usage never really seems to go above 30%, the host otherwise vaguely claims the following on which CPUs they use: "High Clocked (4 - 5GHz) Intel and Ryzen CPUs". The debug logs don't really reveal much, but the normal server logs do mention this relatively often:

pre:
[09Nov2020 00:46:27.966] [Server thread/WARN] [net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer/]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 3880ms or 77 ticks behind
Nothing else really stands out based on the logs as far as I can tell.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

That "Can't keep up!" notice is what I got constantly when running modpacks on my previous desktop, which I can confirm is when the RAM was constantly running near full, not flushing in time (I could watch it tick up with the F3 overlay) and usage spiked to 100%, which would briefly freeze the game, often several times a minute.

E: I think I eventually improved it by following one of the suggestions here, which is about as comprehensive a breakdown of that one issue as I've ever seen. Not sure how it'd apply to a hosting service.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 9, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That modpack is absolutely tiny though, for reference I was running a ~90 mod pack with 4GB and it was fine for like 5 people. Admittedly it was on 1.12 but still...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The server I'm hosting XXL Pants on is 6gb assigned. Granted it's unlikely there's ever going to be a dozen people playing it at once.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Someone on my server made remark on how the bees mod was actually causing a *ton* of bees to spawn.
/forge entity was reporting over 500 in a couple of loaded chunks (or I assume that's what the command outputs), so for now we've bottled most of them up and killed the rest of the bee entities off (:rip:) and see how the server will fare today.

Just a heads-up for those who were interested in that mod, it might spiral out of control a little.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The 1.16 server is awful and modded is going to be rough. I was hosting until just recently and a vanilla 1.16 server with 3-5 active people required a beefy CPU and about 16GB of RAM. I am not making GBS threads you here.

This was on a headless server running Ubuntu, rebooting every 24 hours. Your typical CPU provided by most VPS hosts and 8GB of ram is not nearly enough if you want to provide a lag free environment.

Edit: And I should specify. By 3-5 active players, I mean just that. The server had been up for almost 3 years. We had farms, villages, trading centers, etc. You know, Minecraft stuff. Those are the things that are going to kill your server. If you fire one up and it seems fine, it's because nothing is going on. The moment you get a few people on and actually play Minecraft is when poo poo gets bad.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's amazing how server has managed to reach the performance bottlenecks that client has had for years.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Basically every time the server ended up lagging (rollbacks when mining/moving around, delays when opening chests/crafting tables, entities standing still in place before suddenly doing a bunch of stuff at once, falling through the floor when riding minecarts, etc) I noticed that the RAM usage ended up being very high (above 90%). The CPU usage never really seems to go above 30%, the host otherwise vaguely claims the following on which CPUs they use: "High Clocked (4 - 5GHz) Intel and Ryzen CPUs". The debug logs don't really reveal much, but the normal server logs do mention this relatively often:

pre:
[09Nov2020 00:46:27.966] [Server thread/WARN] [net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer/]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 3880ms or 77 ticks behind
Nothing else really stands out based on the logs as far as I can tell.

You're getting one thread on that CPU, not the entire chip.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's amazing how server has managed to reach the performance bottlenecks that client has had for years.

I think that was by design? Didn't they do something with the lighting engine in 1.13 or 1.14 to take the burden off the client and offload it to the server? That was when poo poo started getting bad. It's gotten worse since, in my experience.

I'm not an IT guy, just a hobbyist, so I may be missing something. If so, I'd love to hear what that something is, sincerely.

BTW setting up a Minecraft server is a great way to learn Linux. I was competent in the environment, but by no means confident until I ran a few headless servers for a few years. I'm doing all kinds of crazy computer touching nonsense now and it's fun. If anyone wants any help setting one up and has some beginner questions, let me know. DM me or hit me up on Discord or whatever. I have no interest in logging in and giving tech support or whatever, but I'm always happy to answer stupid beginner questions and parse crash logs and poo poo. I hosted a bunch of packs and troubleshot a ton of stupid stuff, so I feel like I can actually contribute. lol

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 9, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have oak trees changed behavior since 1.7.10? I thought I'd try an industrial foregoing tree farm in 1.12.2 underground and the trees are not kicking off. I'm wondering if I need to widen the space, increate the ceiling, or give up since they now need to see the sky or something.

Still not so sure what's going on. It's been awhile so I am wondering if I'm screwing this up in a trivial way:

I got one oak in 15 minutes or so of time. It's certainly not enough to sustain running the loop. This is with 1.12.2. There is 12 vertical units of space. I can open another hole above the current ceiling, but I'd be surprised if I needed it. I notice the oak trees look different than what I remember from back in the day so I wonder if I have a mod that's screwing with tree generation in a way that's impeding tree farms.

Even my outdoor tree farm never really turned into a solid block of oak after many hours. That's what I would have expected before.

Edit: Dynamic Tree is not loaded unless it's been installed implicitly by something else that won't show it in the modlist.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 10, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There appears to be enough space (open in a 3x3 column above at least 5 height) it and I imagine light levels are sustained above 9 with that torch pattern too. As long as you're within a certain radius of the sapling, it should grow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I switched to ghostwoods and they took right off. I chose ghostwood because it was the fastest tree I had from a quick test, and it is completely controlled within Natura--a mod I don't expect to be mucked with. It looked like spruce trees were at least working a little bit too. I suspect something did take over oaks in particular.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think some mod is screwing with your oak trees, they definitely should be growing more than that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm playing Material Energy 5. Is there a source for certus quartz that I'm missing? There's a tiny amount in the ruined station past the voidstone barrier, but that seems to be it. You can't make it via Alchemistry.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I think some mod is screwing with your oak trees, they definitely should be growing more than that.

Yes it's obvious now but I couldn't tell you which one it is. I feel like at some point in my misadventures that I ran into a mod that was gushing about changing tree generation. However, all I really see are dynamic trees and the big tree mods. I don't have either one installed and I can't pick out anything else.

I'd just stick with the ghostwoods but I'm wondering if they're creating a bunch of TPS lag. the tree farm is causing all kinds of stutters when I'm near it. Oddly enough, I don't notice them when I go straight up some layers. I can only think of general things then like:
1. Ghostwoods themselves are causing the issue with their growing habits--or perhaps the way they're getting harvested.
2. Industrial Foregoing is causing the stuttering.
3. The Extra Utilities 2 generators are causing it.
4. It has something to do with the Thermal Expansion conduits.
5. 1.12.2 is just a slow wreck and I cannot expect to run anything as sophisticated as any one particular thing I used to do.

It was stuttering before I even added on a bunch of other stuff like sprinklers and a sapling processing operation so I don't think it has to do with the other machines.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes it's obvious now but I couldn't tell you which one it is. I feel like at some point in my misadventures that I ran into a mod that was gushing about changing tree generation. However, all I really see are dynamic trees and the big tree mods. I don't have either one installed and I can't pick out anything else.

I'd just stick with the ghostwoods but I'm wondering if they're creating a bunch of TPS lag. the tree farm is causing all kinds of stutters when I'm near it. Oddly enough, I don't notice them when I go straight up some layers. I can only think of general things then like:
1. Ghostwoods themselves are causing the issue with their growing habits--or perhaps the way they're getting harvested.
5. 1.12.2 is just a slow wreck and I cannot expect to run anything as sophisticated as any one particular thing I used to do.

It was stuttering before I even added on a bunch of other stuff like sprinklers and a sapling processing operation so I don't think it has to do with the other machines.

Get https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/laggoggles and figure out where the lovely stuff is.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just for the sake of helping you troubleshoot, we've used the industrial foregoing farm a lot on our server and haven't had any issues with oak trees or TPS lag. I've personally abused the hell out of TE conduits and not run into any issues as well. Did you post a list of the mods and I missed it? I may be able to help. You should definitely be able to run a setup like that no problem in 1.12, it's 'not terrible' at this point.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there an easy source of Praecantio in Thaumcraft 6? I want to make a fat stack of Thaumium and go full Fortress armor. I've been using cheap enchanted books and a Disenchanter to strip gear so I don't have to gently caress with a Metallum surplus. Guess I could just make a mob spawner with some cursed earth and just looting sword my way into a stack of crap to burn.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Echophonic posted:

Is there an easy source of Praecantio in Thaumcraft 6? I want to make a fat stack of Thaumium and go full Fortress armor. I've been using cheap enchanted books and a Disenchanter to strip gear so I don't have to gently caress with a Metallum surplus. Guess I could just make a mob spawner with some cursed earth and just looting sword my way into a stack of crap to burn.

Salis Mundus is pretty easy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yeah that makes sense, but it looks like everything explodes when I try to include it (and its TickCentral dependency). It looks like EnderIO and TickCentral are having a slap fight. I don't think I even need to post the dump because I think they're on it:

https://github.com/TerminatorNL/TickCentral/issues/13

I think there's a working file on there that I'll try later.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Just for the sake of helping you troubleshoot, we've used the industrial foregoing farm a lot on our server and haven't had any issues with oak trees or TPS lag. I've personally abused the hell out of TE conduits and not run into any issues as well. Did you post a list of the mods and I missed it? I may be able to help. You should definitely be able to run a setup like that no problem in 1.12, it's 'not terrible' at this point.

Thanks. I didn't post a modlist and I was hoping to get a cleaner dump but I blew all my time on that crash. Here's a messy pastebin from its log.

https://pastebin.com/BVG2K6Cb

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Black Pants posted:

Salis Mundus is pretty easy.

That's a good point. Plus then I can use Herba, Metallum, and Potentia crystals to make more. I always forget you don't have to use base essence crystals to make salis mundus.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm playing Material Energy 5. Is there a source for certus quartz that I'm missing? There's a tiny amount in the ruined station past the voidstone barrier, but that seems to be it. You can't make it via Alchemistry.

You can get some via reward bags, and also some blocks in spatial areas. Crafting AE2 devices is annoyingly restrictive.

Well, ghostwoods have transparency effects, maybe it's expensive to render if there's too much present?

Echophonic posted:

You could melt down netherwart and then centrifuge the alchemy essentia to get magic essentia out of it.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 10, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thanks. I didn't post a modlist and I was hoping to get a cleaner dump but I blew all my time on that crash. Here's a messy pastebin from its log.

https://pastebin.com/BVG2K6Cb

What biome are you in? Is it trying to grow some weird modded tree that's a 2x2 oak sapling placement? Nothing else stood out except maybe natura is doing something weird. I'll take a closer look at the mod list tonight.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

You can get some via reward bags, and also some blocks in spatial areas. Crafting AE2 devices is annoyingly restrictive.

Well, that sucks. I found some deposits in Summerhaven and it was enough to just barely boostrap a wireless infinite AE2 remote, but only after I cannibalized a bunch of 16k disks from reward bags. Hopefully I don't need to automate stuff!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

You could melt down netherwart and then centrifuge the alchemy essentia to get magic essentia out of it.

I think there's a few kinds of trees and other growables that have magic essentia? depending on your mods you may have to search though them.

Alternatively if you have a way of storing/retrieving XP or automated enchanting of books, you may just want to enchant books at minimum XP level and melt those for magic stats. If you have a mob grinder those will drop enchanted gear you can melt.

The best source of magic essential I've found is any mod with automated fishing that gives you things besides fish.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 11, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
centrifuging netherwart was how i got praecantato in blightfall, yeah

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That modified TickCentral build did load up and I was able to do a few profiles. It looks like the worse culprits are loose ghostwood saplings. Like, ones that get planted would come up, but just ones that got dropped while trees were getting harvested were coming up as particularly bad. So I suppose I will need to try another tree in the interim. I'm thinking of trying spruce trees since they seemed okay, but I'll need to test that they can clump up like I remember or if they are fussy like the oak trees actually are right now.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That modified TickCentral build did load up and I was able to do a few profiles. It looks like the worse culprits are loose ghostwood saplings. Like, ones that get planted would come up, but just ones that got dropped while trees were getting harvested were coming up as particularly bad. So I suppose I will need to try another tree in the interim. I'm thinking of trying spruce trees since they seemed okay, but I'll need to test that they can clump up like I remember or if they are fussy like the oak trees actually are right now.

The tree type shouldn't matter too much in an automated tree farm like that since they get chopped down quickly. I think your best options would be Birch (since it's got a small canopy and will block the least number of nearby saplings) and Dark Oak (since it has more wood per sapling growth). Dark Oak may have sustainability issues though.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I like spruce because you can grow 2 different varieties of it. Plus, it fits in a ton of different palettes and looks good with treated.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I didn't know about the 2x2 giant spruces. That was a real eye opener when that happened in a quick test. Not all of the trees converted but I don't know if that's reasonable even outdoors when some huge rear end spruces take up the space.

I identified one potential problem area by grepping the config directory for "tree." Recurrent Complex has some alternate nature generation that includes different tree generation rules. They should have a 20% chance of happening. I just disabled the nature generation for now.

Edit: It was Recurrent Complex. When I made that change and started the game, I barely panned the outdoor oak sapling patch into view five seconds in and they were already exploding.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 11, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I changed over to oaks now and my tree farm has stabilized lag-free.

I'd like to try different ways of optimizing it than I am used to. I have saplings, wood, and apples. For saplings, I would previously just burn them. The ghostwoods forced me to deal with saplings that weren't registered as a fuel, but they could be decomposed in various mods. So I am trying biofuel and grassoline. I don't really know which one is better but I know they're both kind of annoying. Is there a different way I should try to use the saplings for best power gen?

I'm also experimenting with converting to charcoal, which I actually have never done before. I just slap the logs in, but I recall converting logs to charcoal is actually more efficient. Am I wrong? If I'm supposed to do this, then what's the best way to do this at scale? I am trying a Mekanism elite smelter and it doesn't keep up with my inflow so far. I would have figured one of the furnaces in one of the mods would have some specific capability when it came to making charcoal or something.

Finally, there are the apples. I used to just slam them into a culinary generator but I want to expand that too. I could divert them to the biofuel generator with the saplings but I don't know if that's ultimately better. I wonder if I should have a secondary side farm making some Pam's HarvestCraft thing with them that'll burn better. Or alternately, I just use it for extra materials for biofuel. This is assuming biofuel is even worth it. Ender IO is the only mod I found that even used it (combustion generator).

For excess burnables, I usually park an Extra Utilities High Temperature Furnace Generator at the end of all the processing. Has anybody recently been able to get one of those to work at any particular efficiency? I remember years ago that I got one up to something like 2000 RF/tick but they then changed it and now it just kind of unceremoniously eats whatever I put in it.

Edit: Any experiences with High Furnace steam generation into turbines? That's another one I want to mess with for giggles.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

So I recently went in to modpack creation because I wanted to make a Pixelmon experience that was a little more than vanilla. Boy, Minetweaker is interesting to use! Once you get used to it, though, it's really quite exciting to make recipes to increase inter-mod crossover. I ended up with a modpack also features some extras like Quark, Chisels&Bits, and Mystical Agriculture to help reach a "post-scarcity" state for a smooth Pixelmon and Minecraft experience.
As for the actual playerbase for this modpack, I started it up for Smogon and I figured I'd reach out here since Smogon and SA are actually pretty compatible these days.
Here's the forum thread for those interested with everything you need to know to get started: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/minecraft-discussion-thread-feat-pixelmon.82419/

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Uhhh.

https://twitter.com/SuperCoder79/status/1324199683317706752

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

huhhhh?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fight back the void. Reclaim what is below.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I'd try generating steam using the high oven. It's really underwhelming, or else the 5x5x8 (?) Merkanism turbine I built to live off of it is overwhelming it. I think the high oven is 13 blocks high at this point. The turbine is just devouring the steam. I suspect something is wrong because I don't think I'm even getting what would be considered a bucket's worth of steam.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought I'd try generating steam using the high oven. It's really underwhelming, or else the 5x5x8 (?) Merkanism turbine I built to live off of it is overwhelming it. I think the high oven is 13 blocks high at this point. The turbine is just devouring the steam. I suspect something is wrong because I don't think I'm even getting what would be considered a bucket's worth of steam.

Are you trying to use a railcraft steam boiler to fuel a mek steam turbine? I think they have wildly different steam/energy conversion ratios.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying Tinker's Steelworks' high oven. That's the tall, 3x3, brown, smeltery-looking thing. I am guessing it has the same problem with scale.

I am mostly looking for new ways to use a tree farm's output than a huge bank of weak solid-fuel generators.

Edit: I discovered Mekanism itself has a boiler, but the fuelwood generator doesn't really heat it up too much. It's pretty clear these multiblocks are for nuclear power stuff, which is a shame. I made a bunch of fuelwood generators and I have to see if they're keeping up with my charcoal generation rate. If so, I guess it's balanced and I needed to make a much smaller boiler and turbine.

It doesn't look like that fuelwood generator gets much attention. I would have thought it would be the kind of thing you could upgrade in some way.

I'm kind of harking back to a science project I did a few years back with something like three MFR steam generators going into a rather meh Big Reactors Turbine. I think it could generate 1450RF/tick or maybe it was generate 1450mb/tick of steam. It was generating at least that much power. It was a novel little problem to play with.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Who says you have to build thematically