Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry but after the game that came out a couple of years ago it is no longer acceptable to in any way to like Bubsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNa2JPkT148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

why are bubsy's paws on fire?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Amazing how they modernise the essence of a third-rate platformer mascot.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight is good.
Hades is good.
Disco Elysium is good.
Undertale is bad.

Checks out

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rutibex posted:

i like Hollow Knight i think the bug people are adorable

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Bubsy kinda sucks but the music for the original SNES game was pretty jazzy and cool for beeps n' boops of the time so that's ok imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I enjoyed SNES Bubsy, was fun to bounce around with and I though there was some fun visual design and personality to the stages. Has a playful feel to it, imo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I enjoyed SNES Bubsy, was fun to bounce around with and I though there was some fun visual design and personality to the stages. Has a playful feel to it, imo.

hes a playful guy

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Disco Pope posted:

I absolutely understand that this is nostalgia talking, but there hasn't been a good platform games mascot outside of Mario or Sonic, and Western ones in particular are ugly, charmless DreamWorks poo poo.

Banjo Kazooie? Ugly idiots
Crash Bandicoot? Punchable
Spyro? Smarmy prick
Modern Donkey Kong cast? 90s bullshit
Jax and Daxter: boring PS2 relics
Ratchet and Clank: interchangable with the above

They're all about as appealing as Gex and Bubsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtDB06TVfEY

Edit; there is a hidden unlockable foot race against sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4ufta_BU0

This means that "Bug!" is the St Elsewhere like foundation to about 8 different shows all being some kids dream, in the sense that they are all actually movie sets. That includes not only sonic, but anything sonic has ever been in, such as spinoff series about his friends, and the crossover competition games against mario, and then of course anything staring Mario himself, ect.

It's POSSIBLY that Bug bumped into Sonic during the filming of his next movie, but not probable whatsoever.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 11, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Croc is pretty inoffensive.

Funny thing is that Argonaut actually worked with Nintendo on the original Star Fox, and Croc was apparently built out of a prototype for a Yoshi game.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Rez wasn’t that good. It’s got a great aesthetic and the music and sound are awesome, but the gameplay is boring. The click-and-drag targeting just doesn’t really feel fun. If they had added some kind of rhythm-based element to the gameplay it might’ve been truly great.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Hollow Knight is a very good game, which makes it special because most games are bad.

I like the game mostly because it is one of like ten games in history to nail a theme and atmosphere and do it consistently throughout the game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

giogadi posted:

Rez wasn’t that good. It’s got a great aesthetic and the music and sound are awesome, but the gameplay is boring. The click-and-drag targeting just doesn’t really feel fun. If they had added some kind of rhythm-based element to the gameplay it might’ve been truly great.

Yeah can't disagree, finally played it in VR after hearing about it for years and its alright, i wouldn't have thought about it twice personally

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

rez was released back when there werent any games except for madden and mascot platformers so everybody was impressed by a game that was just a visual experience but with modern indie games to compare it to it's just boring

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The only reason anyone gives a poo poo about Rez is because it had a vibrator peripheral

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I unironically like Rez and the game being built around things always being divisible into 4 beats makes for a really soothing and fun shooting experience when you get the timing down so your pulses fit the music. Its not an amazing game, but if you like that Panzer Dragoon genre of rail shooters its hard to go too wrong with it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

signalnoise posted:

The only reason anyone gives a poo poo about Rez is because it had a vibrator peripheral

Also, it was promoted by Deepak Chopra, the author who my all time favorite academic paper was based on

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Also, it was promoted by Deepak Chopra, the author who my all time favorite academic paper was based on

You might like this one https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X19305371

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eh. Not really as much. I read the bullshit paper before it ever won an ignobel.

I feel like it actually examined a really important unanswered question in addition to being funny. It made it possible to start quantifying "Who's an easily bullshitted idiot?" which dovetails nicely with the problems of the social media landscape.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Eh. Not really as much. I read the bullshit paper before it ever won an ignobel.

I feel like it actually examined a really important unanswered question in addition to being funny. It made it possible to start quantifying "Who's an easily bullshitted idiot?" which dovetails nicely with the problems of the social media landscape.

shows what you know about survival horror

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

giogadi posted:

The full Rez experience involves the optional Rez Trance Vibrator accessory (not sold in america) and MDMA.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was pretty unimpressed by Rez when it came out, because it just seemed like Panzer Dragoon as a minds eye video which was not nearly as cool as Panzer Dragoon. I played it recently in VR and it was really cool though. Area X is dope.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The full Rez experience involves the optional Rez Trance Vibrator accessory (not sold in america) and MDMA.

Games should have mandatory drug advises next to the age rating.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

But then Australia would never get another video game.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
if you chose to play rez sober, then it's not really the game's fault

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The xbox port lets you use extra controllers as trance vibrators, plural

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

The xbox port lets you use extra controllers as trance vibrators, plural

"Grab a controller let's play some halo, any controller except that one by the tissues"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
witcher 3... i thought it was pretty good. i would've been completely lost if i hadn't read the books beforehand, and reading eight books each the length of a book in lord of the rings is a pretty high bar for entry if you aren't down for that. the story was pretty gripping, and i'm glad i used the mod that lets you equip infinite skills because players shouldn't be forbidden from getting so overpowered that when you get hit by the final boss you take so little damage that you think for a second, do i have plot armor or something???

even though it came out only five years ago, the controls are a little dated. the sound balance is really bad--this isn't like ff12 where the audio quality is poor, the recording is fine the way the game handles spatial audio is just extremely hosed up unless you have a dolby surround sound setup irl. i got the best ending in one try, because im smarter than half the population in the world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

rez was released back when there werent any games except for madden and mascot platformers so everybody was impressed by a game that was just a visual experience but with modern indie games to compare it to it's just boring

When people argue that the 360 era wasn't a dire wasteland of brown bloom shooters, just point to what games DID get pointed out for being vaguely unique at teh time

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When people argue that the 360 era wasn't a dire wasteland of brown bloom shooters, just point to what games DID get pointed out for being vaguely unique at teh time

I had a 360 in college. it was a mistake. everybody just played gamecube games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

noita is very good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I had a 360 in college. it was a mistake. everybody just played gamecube games.

i almost never used mine, the only games i spent a real amount of time with were soul calibur and ninja gaiden 2 but i didnt even finish that last one, i put the 360 in the closet and thats where it remains to this day. there just wasnt anything compelling on there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The orginal Xbox is king poo poo of Brown, Textureless Mountain and I will die on this 480p hill

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i almost never used mine, the only games i spent a real amount of time with were soul calibur and ninja gaiden 2 but i didnt even finish that last one, i put the 360 in the closet and thats where it remains to this day. there just wasnt anything compelling on there

I had soul caliber 2 on the gamecube - and given that you could play smash bros melee, mario kart double dash etc as well, it's pretty clear which system was going to win in a college setting.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
KOTOR is a bit poo poo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Simone Magus posted:

KOTOR is a bit poo poo

It was fun in 2003, I'm not sure I'd play it now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I had soul caliber 2 on the gamecube - and given that you could play smash bros melee, mario kart double dash etc as well, it's pretty clear which system was going to win in a college setting.

Does the GameCube set the record for a console with the most games you can play as Link on?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

KOTOR is a bit poo poo

bioware is really bad and kotor sucks rear end

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Simone Magus posted:

KOTOR is a bit poo poo

There's far too long between the beginning of the game and you unlocking Jedi powers. Game would have been better if you start gaining Jedi powers after escaping the Endar Spire, then can choose your Jedi class once you get trained on Dantooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sunswipe posted:

There's far too long between the beginning of the game and you unlocking Jedi powers. Game would have been better if you start gaining Jedi powers after escaping the Endar Spire, then can choose your Jedi class once you get trained on Dantooine.

Especially since the game really, really wants you beating dudes with a lightsaber but doesn't tell you to spec your dude that way until you've spent the majority of you stats and abilities. What's that? You put points into guns and armor? Enjoy your new class with spells you can't use if you wear your armor. Also, all those points in guns? Their damage won't scale with stats like melee and we didn't bother making any that scale into the midgame. At least we added some end game ones with dlc you crybaby.