Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do think, if you were only reading Wolverine before this event, you would only need to read that one X-Force issue that was basically the second half of the last Wolverine issue in order to understand what's happening. Like even the Saturnyne stuff, if you're the type of person who only buys Wolverine comics you probably understand there's a lot of people who hate Wolverine because he tried to kill them. Most of them don't have comics showing it happen, it's just backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fritzler posted:

I've talked about liking Greycrow way more than I thought I would, but imagine being a morlock and finding out they brought back a marauder assassian before they brought you back. I would not feel comfortable on Krakoa at all after that. And we know they have already started talking about/thinking about bringing back those marauders.

I've been thinking about this and I kinda think they probably brought all the Morlocks back before they brought back Grey Crow. Storm would want Calisto on board to endorse the Krakoan project and Calisto would want all the Morlocks safe before she endorsed the Krakoan project.

I have a lot of questions about how they determine who get's resurrected when, obviously people who die on missions for Krakoa get resurrected right away, and the quiet council also have special privileges, but they're doing a bunch every day and most of the important ones already have the people they want back (except Mystique). When they're going through the list of miscellaneous mutant dead are they going alphabetically, chronologically, if they're going chronologically are they working from longest to shortest dead or the other way around (I can see an argument for either)

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I was initially sold a big stupid sword fight. I wanted a big stupid sword fight. I loving LOVE what it has actually turned into this week. So much fun

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This also means more Pogg Ur-Pogg.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Codependent Poster posted:

They're saying that the Vulcan on Krakoa is the one that was in space and he wasn't reincarnated.

Yeah, X of Swords being some wacky stuff is a lot better than being a dead serious tournament, I think.

That's wild. That did not seem like a dude who was going to decide to play family time all in the name of mutant rights but I guess floating in an endless void for five years has a way of changing people's perspective. I kind of assumed they just did him dirty and used a pre-Deadly Genesis backup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rick posted:

That's wild. That did not seem like a dude who was going to decide to play family time all in the name of mutant rights but I guess floating in an endless void for five years has a way of changing people's perspective. I kind of assumed they just did him dirty and used a pre-Deadly Genesis backup.

Oh poo poo, there was something in HoXPoX about someone (someones?) having themselves restored from an earlier Xavier backup.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I was initially sold a big stupid sword fight. I wanted a big stupid sword fight. I loving LOVE what it has actually turned into this week. So much fun

Why not both? I’m enjoying it so far but I do think it will somewhat sour the whole thing if we don’t get some action release by the end, mostly because the tone of how the event started is so different from where it was now. I’ve liked each issue but the story as a whole doesn’t really hang there yet for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
excalibur continued to be excalibur, with everyone constantly shouting without ever listening to anyone else. it's very frustrating to read. as for the rest, i can't quite decide if i like the tournament being a pointless rigged farce or not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ngl I fully checked out after the Rockslide stuff and I hope X-Factor addresses him when it comes back

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rick posted:

They don’t draw attention to it, but they resurrected the two mutant women that died during the Deadly Genesis mission to Krakoa. They’ve kind of been Vulcan’s minders. They like to drink.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

After I read that issue with Vulcan emo-gazing on the moon, I dug Deadly Genesis out of mothballs and what trips me out is that Petra, Sway, and Vulcan (and Darwin) never actually spent any time together irl. Their entire time together was a memory implant Xavier did. There's no need to bring it up, but it's an interesting bit of "man these guys have such messed up lives."

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Adder Moray posted:

Apocalypse vs Annihilation: Custody Battle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I really like moments like this, of the characters being exasperated smartasses at each other.

Not so much the random cheesemonkey stuff like...I dunno, Saturnyne deciding Logan loses a match or just randomly being in another match out of the blue.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought all of this was awesome. Y'all are weird.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This is better than the idea of ten sword fights in a row would have been.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure Saturnyne being a vindictive rear end in a top hat is "monkeycheese" but maybe my idea of that term is wrong.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I feel like the pacing is so hosed, though. Way too much buildup and now we're just ramming "fights" through two and three per issue.

And Magik/Pogg sucked. If any match was deserving of being 10 pages of stabbings, it was that one. They did Yana dirty and she better get a real fight later on.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Personally I'm firmly in the "loving the subversiveness of this event" camp. I was expecting a serious of repetitive fights in which half of the X-Men characters involved would get scratched off the list for shock value, and instead we got a high-stakes game of Calvinball, and I'm here for it. Saturnyne makes for a good writer stand-in, just pitting characters against each other in weirdly arbitrary contests, and clearly having a blast doing it. The behind-the-scenes intrigue and sporadic little character interactions are fun, too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lmao at any tournament arc fight seeming anticlimactic ever again when this has been sucking up all of the “wait what” anticlimax energy for several decades, and will for ages to come

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Connellingus posted:

a high-stakes game of Calvinball

I love this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So much effort being spent right now to take shade off lmfao.

X of Swords is a perfectly fine little series of stories. It sucks noodles as an "event" due to false advertising, an overlong build-up, and poor overall pacing. Nothing wrong with enjoying it for what it is, nor pointing out that it could have easily been a hell of a lot better.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Squizzle posted:

lmao at any tournament arc fight seeming anticlimactic ever again when this has been sucking up all of the “wait what” anticlimax energy for several decades, and will for ages to come

It looks like there was a climax to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving finally.

https://twitter.com/AIPTcomics/status/1327343204434382848?s=20

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I do appreciate that they're using Laura's proper codename.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Now that Cable's a drat kid again, I hope Laura's lived enough subjective time to be older than her "father". Someone's gotta carry that weirdo torch for the X-Men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

I do appreciate that they're using Laura's proper codename.

There's another Wolverine?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

There's another Wolverine?

Yes, Jonathan. He's delightful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i think jimmy hudson is still running around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Whoa, is that like... German Lobo?

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, there was something in HoXPoX about someone (someones?) having themselves restored from an earlier Xavier backup.

If there was anyone who it would make sense for, it'd be him. Just an awful life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's gotta be some really weird and cool power interactions between Synch and Darwin. And I am not creative at all, so someone who actually is should be able to have fun with that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rick posted:

Whoa, is that like... German Lobo?
If you mean the Iron Cross necklace he's wearing the Marvel/DC pages, it is/was a biker thing, as well as a necklace that Lemmy from Motorhead (a pretty obvious inspiration for the Bisley version of Lobo) also wore. It's in a whole lot of images of Lobo from the early 1990s.

It's understandably been omitted from most (not all) recent media, which I think is a good thing, as frankly you don't even want to inadvertently give racist/fascist groups a shoutout/thing to identify with. But in general, lots of not-hate-group people/brands used Iron Cross motifs in the 1970s-1990s. Like a lot of symbols/gestures/whatever, in isolation it's not a historical red flag without accompanying evidence; like the difference between "here's a photo of a Japanese pop star doing an 'okay' hand gesture" is materially different than "here is a conservative pundit in a MAGA hat standing behind a police chief giving a press conference doing an 'okay' hand gesture'.

(And yes punk rock/metal and biker gangs and skaters and lots of groups/people who wore Iron Crosses are in subcultures that also have had associations with white supremacists, racists, Nazis, and other piles of poo poo, but there's still a material difference between like Dee Dee Ramone wearing a day-glo swastika t-shirt in 1976 and like, Skrewdriver or Burzum.)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

There's gotta be some really weird and cool power interactions between Synch and Darwin. And I am not creative at all, so someone who actually is should be able to have fun with that.

Semi-permanently copying Darwin's power seems like the most immediate and obvious one to me. Darwin's power is adaptive evolution, Synch losing the power would make him much more likely to die. Ergo, it should adapt Synch to have Darwin's power at least as long as they're in a dangerous situation.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Edge & Christian posted:

If you mean the Iron Cross necklace he's wearing the Marvel/DC pages, it is/was a biker thing, as well as a necklace that Lemmy from Motorhead (a pretty obvious inspiration for the Bisley version of Lobo) also wore. It's in a whole lot of images of Lobo from the early 1990s.

I'd just like to say, Lemmy is the greatest ever. And Lobo is pretty cool. X-Men is also good.

On the using war chic from the bad guy's side when you're a peace loving liberal, a'la Lemmy, oddly enough that's come up a couple times in recent memory around here. At least I've defended Lemmy on it once some months ago. I just think, it's ok to use shocking or nutty imagery, when you know it's coming from a good place. Lobo can have an iron cross necklace in my book, not that anybody asked me, but if I get a WB board member thing, I'm gonna say hey let's do it. And let's have a Red Baron pizza.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

Is this the fight where later on Lobo claimed he was paid by "some bald guy" to throw?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd just like to say, Lemmy is the greatest ever. And Lobo is pretty cool. X-Men is also good.

On the using war chic from the bad guy's side when you're a peace loving liberal, a'la Lemmy, oddly enough that's come up a couple times in recent memory around here. At least I've defended Lemmy on it once some months ago. I just think, it's ok to use shocking or nutty imagery, when you know it's coming from a good place. Lobo can have an iron cross necklace in my book, not that anybody asked me, but if I get a WB board member thing, I'm gonna say hey let's do it. And let's have a Red Baron pizza.

The Iron Cross originally made its way into outlaw biker culture not as a white power symbol, but because biker gangs were comprised of returned WWII vets who would brandish Iron Crosses they snatched from slain Germans as a sign of badassery.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a positive thought. Bikers seem pretty heinous and scary at times, I saw that Hunter S Thompson doc Gonzo that touched on the topic. My post was more talking about Lemmy's stuff. He's said stuff like the bad guys had better clothes etc. And just where the artists/writers are coming from with their irreverent doodles etc.

Personally, I'm more offended by that Percy writer having Wolverine pee in Magneto's helmet. That's just wrong on every level. Plus it's just not funny, it's American Pie 5 straight to DVD humor. Anyhoo, X-Men is good stuff.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Question: Have Magneto and the New Mutants interacted at all in Krakoa? Iirc Cipher's death was one of the reasons he was evil again in the 90s but I don't even remember them even exchanging words since Cipher came back to life, though I haven't read all their appareances since then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It's understandably been omitted from most (not all) recent media, which I think is a good thing, as frankly you don't even want to inadvertently give racist/fascist groups a shoutout/thing to identify with. But in general, lots of not-hate-group people/brands used Iron Cross motifs in the 1970s-1990s. Like a lot of symbols/gestures/whatever, in isolation it's not a historical red flag without accompanying evidence; like the difference between "here's a photo of a Japanese pop star doing an 'okay' hand gesture" is materially different than "here is a conservative pundit in a MAGA hat standing behind a police chief giving a press conference doing an 'okay' hand gesture'.

(And yes punk rock/metal and biker gangs and skaters and lots of groups/people who wore Iron Crosses are in subcultures that also have had associations with white supremacists, racists, Nazis, and other piles of poo poo, but there's still a material difference between like Dee Dee Ramone wearing a day-glo swastika t-shirt in 1976 and like, Skrewdriver or Burzum.)

I did actually initially post "Nazi Lobo" but ended up changing it to German just because the iron cross seems to be less charged (although I agree with you probably best that people chill on it for the most part).

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

That's a positive thought. Bikers seem pretty heinous and scary at times, I saw that Hunter S Thompson doc Gonzo that touched on the topic. My post was more talking about Lemmy's stuff. He's said stuff like the bad guys had better clothes etc. And just where the artists/writers are coming from with their irreverent doodles etc.

Personally, I'm more offended by that Percy writer having Wolverine pee in Magneto's helmet. That's just wrong on every level. Plus it's just not funny, it's American Pie 5 straight to DVD humor. Anyhoo, X-Men is good stuff.

To be fair, having your skeleton ripped out is a pretty good reason to be a dick to someone for as long as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah, i am loving this poo poo, Saturnyne is obviously up to something besides just payback with manipulating things the way she is. Illyana ans Cable testing Isca's unbeatable power was loving hilarious. What's really interesting to me is how badly Cable wants -=A=-'s respect. I hope we get more actual sword fights, but this thing has been a blast so far!