Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve been experimenting with the tone of my Jazz bass over the past few days and while I totally understand that turning one coil down leads to hum, what could the deal be with the hum disappearing when I face a certain direction in my practice space? That one has me stumped.

E: I am starting to really like the tone coming from my bridge pickup. Cranking the neck pickup down to 50% or less most days. Like the bright tones I get, versus the deeper thicc neck pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:hellyeah:

just rip my bridge pickup out at this point

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Instead of practicing what I had planned to practice, I tuned down a half step and tried to figure out a Candlemass song. I got really close! Does anyone have any suggested android apps for looping certain sections of a song? With doom that might not always be necessary for the main riff cause... well doom is already slow and repetitive. But sometimes there are transitions or whatever that only repeat a few times.

Marty and Turbino, does the bassbuzz course cover anything that's not on studybass? I have to admit "beginner to badass" is a great tagline. I would very much like to be a badass. But I also would like to keep $250 more of my dollars for myself.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been experimenting with the tone of my Jazz bass over the past few days and while I totally understand that turning one coil down leads to hum, what could the deal be with the hum disappearing when I face a certain direction in my practice space? That one has me stumped.

E: I am starting to really like the tone coming from my bridge pickup. Cranking the neck pickup down to 50% or less most days. Like the bright tones I get, versus the deeper thicc neck pickup.

Do you have florescent lights or a TV or computer monitor in that space? Sounds like just normal interference. Is the electronics cavity shielded?

If it's not lining it with the copper foil tape or shielding paint could help cut down on that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you have florescent lights or a TV or computer monitor in that space? Sounds like just normal interference. Is the electronics cavity shielded?

If it's not lining it with the copper foil tape or shielding paint could help cut down on that.

Thumposaurus is right here about interference. By turning down the volume of one coil, you're partially grounding it, which unbalances the opposing winding directions, which in turn stops cancelling hum.

There isn't a lot you can do to stop a single coil pickup from humming. Shielding will have a minimal effect unless you go old school and add grounded pickup covers like you see on basses from the 70s and before, and even then, there will be hum. And, like an AM radio antenna loop, orientation has an effect: when the pickups line up properly with interference sources in your immediate area, the hum will increase. It's the nature of the beast.

Single coils can pick up 60 Hz hum from everything plugged into the wall, and even your housr's wiring contributes. Electronic devices like computers are notorious culprits, as are fluorescent lights. LED lights can also cause hum, and if there is a light dimmer in the room, the hum can be pretty bad.

It's the nature of the beast.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh oh oh, ok that makes perfect sense. It's a big antenna. Yeah, I have all manner of electronics in this space. I'm perfectly cool with some hum so I haven't dug into my cavity yet to see exactly how shielded it is. Being a budget bass I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. What dumbfounded me was that it completely disappears if I face a certain wall (or more likely now that I think about it, when I face perpendicular to certain electronics).

Anyway, mystery solved.

Livejournal update, feeling more confident each day I pick up the guitar. Just started B2B module 4 which looks to have the first real string hopping exercise so I'm both excited and nervous about getting my hands working together across multiple strings rather than the one or two I've been plucking so far. I figure as long as I take it slow it'll be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My E and A strings are constantly out of tune when I pick my guitar up in the morning. Sometimes even the same day if I leave it for a few hours. Not wildly out of tune, but usually an eighth of a turn on the peg in one direction or other. It doesn’t seem to be consistently going flat or sharp, at least not that I noticed. My D and G strings are almost always spot on and maybe require touching every few days if that.

Guitar is in my furnished basement and I don’t think there’s wild temperature swings but I also don’t know what affect any amount of temperature change would have. I tend to play anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes a session and I’m not really hard on the strings at all.

Is that amount of re-tuning normal? If not, I can really only think of two things:

- Being a squier, could this just be an inferior build quality thing vs a higher priced Fender?
- I replaced my bridge a few weeks ago with a Hipshot Kickass bridge.. for fun. Everything seems to be working well, but I also reused the strings I took off, leaving the new strings for another day. Was this just a bad decision and could it be a factor?

E: I’m using the built in tuner on my Zoom B3n which I presume is at least somewhat quality. When it claims I’m in tune I tend to feel it’s accurate as I don’t get the out-of-tune beating when I play with music that’s expected to be properly tuned.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Are the strings brand new? Sometimes it can take a bit before they settle. I've heard you can tune it, pull the string away from the bass at the twelfth fret and snap it back then retune.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They're the strings the bass came with from the shop. I've owned it for.. what, four? five weeks now? I'd have to go back in the thread to check. No idea how long it sat at the shop with the strings on.

I'd say no, not really brand new but maybe getting consistent use for the first time in their life, albeit small amounts.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
When you put the strings back on after replacing the bridge, did you make sure the windings on the post are neat with no overlap? I think the the string should go three times around the post to ensure no slippage (my only bass is headless, so it's been a long time since this has been an issue...)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think I tried to be as meticulous as I could with the winding. I also followed the original curve of the string bends. I'll throw down some pics of the final work when I get a chance after some meetings.

It's not super annoying since it stays in tune when I'm playing (I think) but just weird that those two are consistently out. I'm not opposed to just changing the strings if that might do anything. $50 is almost nothing in hobby-money :haw:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I was holiday shopping for 2 of the bass players in my family, and hit Reverb looking for a tuner. I went down a rabbit hole. Other than Craigslist I haven't bought anything used in a couple of years, but do prices seemed high to anyone else? Example a couple of years ago I was looking at Skylines and prices seem $200 higher. And pedals, whoa boy. I replaced my sansamp DI (used) for I think $75 in 2016 or 2017. Definitely under a hundred. Used ones are $150 and up.

I noticed this w/ outdoor gear this year w/ COVID, kayaks and such. Wondering if this is related, people staying home and playing more, or if ~3 years meant that much inflation.

I'm a sucker for candy finishes, and really crushing on this:

https://reverb.com/item/26389147-fender-player-mustang-bass-pj-shell-pink-w-mint-pickguard-cme-exclusive-pre-order

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everything went up in price. Made in Mexico (MIM) Fenders are now the price of the deluxe versions, etc. Also that's a special edition bass only available to CME so it's likely a little more expensive than usual. However, due to production costs in asia going down, the Squier lines that run about $400 are just as good (if not better, imo) than MIM fenders.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fender apparently had its most profitable year in company history and their online lessons portal thing quadrupled its subscriber base.

Everyone got trapped indoors with no way to spend their vacation budgets and said, "maybe this is the year I learn to play."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rocksmith Remastered was (is still?) on sale on Steam for cheapish so I went ahead and got that, then got it to work with my audio interface so I didn't have to buy the stupid cable. I kinda stalled out on learning, so hoping this kickstarts it a bit. I've been lazy though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

pumped up for school posted:

I was holiday shopping for 2 of the bass players in my family, and hit Reverb looking for a tuner. I went down a rabbit hole. Other than Craigslist I haven't bought anything used in a couple of years, but do prices seemed high to anyone else? Example a couple of years ago I was looking at Skylines and prices seem $200 higher. And pedals, whoa boy. I replaced my sansamp DI (used) for I think $75 in 2016 or 2017. Definitely under a hundred. Used ones are $150 and up.

I noticed this w/ outdoor gear this year w/ COVID, kayaks and such. Wondering if this is related, people staying home and playing more, or if ~3 years meant that much inflation.

Used prices on everything have been going up for years. I think too many people have been watching youtubes and thinking they can be savvy gear flippers.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I think this is the year I admit "I really do not like Jazz basses" and just stick w/ old fatty neck. At least I think it is neck preference. My jazz gets no play. My MM Sterling very little. I keep going to my Pbass and my 80's Korean Spector.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That pink bass is sick

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, I am having such a mental block moving my thumb anchor. Rolled through the B2B lesson on plucking across all four strings and I’m fine until I move from D to A because inevitably I will have left my thumb on D from when I was playing G and don’t have enough muscle memory developed to move my thumb with the rest of my hand.

Also, instead of skipping ahead to the next bar if I gently caress up, I have a weird tendency to try and catch up which is horrible since I’m not fast enough at fretting or plucking to think on my feet that fast, just ruins my concentration and flusters me and that’s the end of the play-along until I hit the rewind button.

But, I mean, four-ish weeks in and I’m still having a blast so that’s a win in my book.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Martytoof posted:

Also, instead of skipping ahead to the next bar if I gently caress up, I have a weird tendency to try and catch up which is horrible since I’m not fast enough at fretting or plucking to think on my feet that fast, just ruins my concentration and flusters me and that’s the end of the play-along until I hit the rewind button.

It takes a while to break this. Luckily I did it a long time ago on my first instrument, but you shouldn't try to rush and catch up. Just drop out and pick up on the next bar. Practice that way. Being off tempo is orders of magnitude more obvious than just disappearing for a few beats. It's almost certainly happened at a live show you've been at.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, I am having such a mental block moving my thumb anchor. Rolled through the B2B lesson on plucking across all four strings and I’m fine until I move from D to A because inevitably I will have left my thumb on D from when I was playing G and don’t have enough muscle memory developed to move my thumb with the rest of my hand.

But, I mean, four-ish weeks in and I’m still having a blast so that’s a win in my book.

if you're thinking about anchoring a month in, you're well ahead of the curve. muting is something you can't develop super quickly, it comes dynamically over time as you get used to the instrument and develop a subconscious aversion to unmuted strings resonating.

you don't always need to anchor your thumb, either. the most important part of muting on bass is keeping your lower strings from ringing - how you do that varies. you'll eventually mute with both hands (fret hand muting sounds really hard at first, but it isn't.) your body is massive compared to a bass string; all you have to do is make any sort of contact and your inert mass will stop the strings.

i think there's a lot more pressure to catch up when you play along with a track and feel like you have to play certain notes at certain times. pick a couple notes that sound good together, and improvise with them over a metronome. notes are secondary as a bassist to the pulse of the rhythm; lots of great basslines are one or two notes, played with good feel. (if you don't have any notes off the top of your head, try E G and B ((e string 0, e string 3, a string 2)) in any order you choose)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Fender Play teachers anchoring from the very beginning, so I'm glad to be ahead of the curve on that! Slapping has given me a bit of trouble, especially getting my aim right on the lower strings, but I've progressed through the other lessons quickly

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Slap gives me a lot of trouble too. Honestly it's one of those things where I kind of get it but I don't have fun practicing it so I don't actively try to get better.

But I'm still really new to this so I have plenty to practice as it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Help how do I stop looking at and lusting after more expensive basses? I’ve been playing for under a month and I don’t need an expensive bass, wouldn’t know what to do with one, and couldn’t tell you the sound or feel difference if I tried, but yet I can’t stop browsing Kijiji and Reverb for other cool looking guitars.

I feel like I need to start arranging my own intervention.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does it help to know that if you bought something else you would continue to browse anyway, so why bother?

Yeah, probably not, but worth a shot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That just tells me I need to invest in more guitar stands!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm also 3 weeks in and have no desire to upgrade, since I bought what I wanted (Classic Vibe P-Bass, surf green) in the first place. The only thing I'd change is the pickguard, from black to white, but otherwise I'm totally in love with my bass

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah no no no, 100% do not mistake this for me being anything but in love with my Squier CV 70s Jazz — every day I pull that bad boy off the wall multiple times and each time it makes me grin like a fool. I am looking at it right now and I actually feel bad that I’m typing this instead of holding it and practicing so, uh..

brb

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Don't look at the 2020 Fender Player models, especially not in capri orange

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, a lot of us picked up the bass this fall! I got the bottom-of-the-line Yamaha and some cheapo amp in trade back in August and I'm having a ball with it, even if I'm getting the itch for something nicer, too.

It's a PJ with a jazz neck and I love the sound of the P pickup, but I really want to spend a few hours with a P neck and see if I get used to it.

Going to try to live a year with the $200 instrument and $100 amp before I get more invested. It's tough because most of the time you end up shopping not because you are terrible dissatisfied, but because you are sitting at work and can't play, but you still have it on the brain.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Solumin posted:

Slap gives me a lot of trouble too. Honestly it's one of those things where I kind of get it but I don't have fun practicing it so I don't actively try to get better.

But I'm still really new to this so I have plenty to practice as it is.

Slapping is a dangerous road to go down lol.

But when you gotta do it, you gotta do it!

I bring out my Music Man and just slap on it without it even being plugged in. Good enough volume level to noodle around in while watching TV or whatever.

But when I'm playing with other ppl I use it sparingly. It really can get in the way unless you're like Larry Graham level of profiency.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Shageletic posted:

Slapping is a dangerous road to go down lol.

But when you gotta do it, you gotta do it!

Yeah, like all note-sounding techniques for bass, there's a time and place, but it's easy to overdo it.

Also for all the newish players in here, don't get caught up in any hype around picking or not picking and how "real" bassists play. Play the way that best suits the song.

gently caress, I've alternated between finger, pick, and slap all in the same tune before. Don't let any dipshits tell you things like "real bassists don't use picks."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I prefer to use my fingers but when they get tired, I grab a pick. If you play rock music I feel like there's a huge part of your repertoire that will sound 100% fine either way.

When I do play with a pick I like a huge fat one. Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0mm is my go to.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
After some extensive testing, my old favorite 0.88 green tortex picks sound the best for punk/metal stuff. I have no idea why but that's the sweet spot. I've tried 2mm tortex, 1.5mm gator grips, 1.0mm ultex, 1.14 tortex jazz iiis, the red jazz iiis, and a few others. Still the 0.88 just feel and sound the best.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Someone here recommended going to a thin floppy pick, like .5mm. It really felt and continues to feel right for me. This is completely contrary to my intuition and my preference on guitar. I'm just throwing it out there.

And yeah, play however you like, both in terms of feel and sound. You are already doing it wrong by not playing with a bow on an upright in a symphony orchestra. Just don't hurt yourself and you're good.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man, I can't play bass with a pick when there's any give to the pick. I only like floppy picks for playing guitar, and even then only for like, strumming chords.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

B2B fed me a fun little ska bass line today and I LOVE it. Heck, this is turning me onto all sorts of genres I didn't really give much thought to.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Finger style is how I learned and to this day I still can't figure out a pick. I finger pick on guitar, as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually specifically ruled out guitar as an attempted hobby because I can't stand picking. I never got the hang of it in music class, or the other two times I tried to pick up guitar over my 40 years and I'm not about to start now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Does anyone ever alternate between picking and slapping in the middle of a song? There's a part in one of my band's songs that I've had some trouble getting just right and I'm starting to realize it might sound better to slap for a few beats before going back to picking. But then I've got about 1/8th beat to switch back and forth, which is doable but will take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory down, maybe it would be a waste of time? I don't know.

edit for pick chat: Funny thing for me is I played ukulele for 10+ years and rarely used a pick, but when it comes to guitar & bass I'm kinda hopeless without one, my timing turns to poo poo and it sounds too gentle for most songs. I like .71mm- for guitar and 1.20mm for bass.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 17, 2020