Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Costco has the KitchenAid Professional Series 6 Quart stand mixer on sale for $329.

https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-professional-series-6-quart-bowl-lift-stand-mixer-with-flex-edge.product.100485356.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why's the costco model have a higher watt motor

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I found this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/7cqhg5/kitchenaid_mixer_question/dpwezwe/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
ThermoWorks has the old-school classic Thermapens on sale for US$59. This doesn't have the backlight or rotating display, but the underlying actually-measure-temperature bits are the same as the Mk4.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
For lunch containers y'all want the Rubbermaid brilliance container in the appropriate size. They're crystal clear magic plastic.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

For lunch containers y'all want the Rubbermaid brilliance container in the appropriate size. They're crystal clear magic plastic.

The only thing I hate about it is the non-removable gasket thingy

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah, it seems like something like this will end up winning since it's essentially just a nicer version of what I'm already using. I've looked at a few of the collapsible containers, since it would be nice to have the extra space in my bag each afternoon, but they all seem like they'd be marginal improvements at best

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looking for testamonials on the Panasonic FlashXpress, which one of my buddies has been raving about lately. I toast a lot of leftovers in my trusty 15 year old uneven-heating $5-at-a-yard-sale black and decker. Is the wonder of infrared heating worth dropping $130 on?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Not a Children posted:

Looking for testamonials on the Panasonic FlashXpress, which one of my buddies has been raving about lately. I toast a lot of leftovers in my trusty 15 year old uneven-heating $5-at-a-yard-sale black and decker. Is the wonder of infrared heating worth dropping $130 on?

Yes, absolutely. I love mine. I use it for basically everything that fits. The IR eliminates any need to preheat.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Not a Children posted:

My brother has it and it's like magic. Only caveat is the slightly small size.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone use Made In pans? My wife got me a set for my birthday, and I was seasoning the 12" blue carbon steel frying pan with their wax and it seriously looks like I burned through the pan, to the point where I can see the Made-In logo from the cooking surface. I was using medium heat, 10 out of 20 on my cooktop.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Omne posted:

Anyone use Made In pans? My wife got me a set for my birthday, and I was seasoning the 12" blue carbon steel frying pan with their wax and it seriously looks like I burned through the pan, to the point where I can see the Made-In logo from the cooking surface. I was using medium heat, 10 out of 20 on my cooktop.

I don't know about that specific brand but carbon steel heats up fast, especially if you're used to cast iron, and the heat will spread even less than cast iron because it's so thin. Even on medium heat I'd expect it to get ripping hot within a few minutes, but only in the hotspot. That might be one to season in the oven.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

hypnophant posted:

I don't know about that specific brand but carbon steel heats up fast, especially if you're used to cast iron, and the heat will spread even less than cast iron because it's so thin. Even on medium heat I'd expect it to get ripping hot within a few minutes, but only in the hotspot. That might be one to season in the oven.

Yeah the instructions said either stovetop on medium heat or in the oven would work. I ended up reseasoning it using the oven and it seems better

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone have a non-Amazon suggestion for somewhere that might sell specialty Italian bakeware in the US? Specifically, my mother is requesting a Decora Pandoro pan for Christmas, and I'm having difficulty finding somewhere to buy it. Google has led me to a couple sellers in the UK and Italy, but I'd prefer not to pay for international shipping if possible. I've also found a couple sellers of stamped steel pans, but then she has to deal with the seam and additional risk of sticking.

For added difficulty, I'm trying to give Amazon as little of my money as possible this Christmas, just on general principle. Speaking of which, any suggestions for just good online kitchen gear retailers for my own purchases? I have tried ordering through the online sites of some of my local shops, but it's been a little hit or miss for stuff.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any thoughts on the always pan? Over hyped or actually good at the things it says it does?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

Anyone have a non-Amazon suggestion for somewhere that might sell specialty Italian bakeware in the US? Specifically, my mother is requesting a Decora Pandoro pan for Christmas, and I'm having difficulty finding somewhere to buy it. Google has led me to a couple sellers in the UK and Italy, but I'd prefer not to pay for international shipping if possible. I've also found a couple sellers of stamped steel pans, but then she has to deal with the seam and additional risk of sticking.

For added difficulty, I'm trying to give Amazon as little of my money as possible this Christmas, just on general principle. Speaking of which, any suggestions for just good online kitchen gear retailers for my own purchases? I have tried ordering through the online sites of some of my local shops, but it's been a little hit or miss for stuff.
For anything baking related I always check here first since they actually carry pro-level equipment.
https://www.pastrychef.com/PANDORO-BAKING-PAN_p_2923.html

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do people normally pay retail for Le Creuset or are there big sales that come up?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xtal posted:

Do people normally pay retail for Le Creuset or are there big sales that come up?

I think most people get their Le Creuset pieces from thrift stores or dead people. I have to say that I have a shameful amazon basics 7.5qt dutch oven and it's fantastic. I'd love and prefer the same thing from Le Creuset but I think I paid less than $80 for this and I can use it for the same stuff.

e: nvm listen to this guy vvv

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

xtal posted:

They go on sale fairly frequently and in particular there should be some very good black friday deals around, thats when I got most of mine for 40% off.

Edit: might have been january sales, it was a couple of years ago

Stangg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 24, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bamhand posted:

Any thoughts on the always pan? Over hyped or actually good at the things it says it does?

I had never heard of it but https://www.tramontina.com/10-in-professional-fusion-fry-pan_80114516/p here’s a comparable thing at less than half the sale price. It doesn’t look quite as nice and doesn’t have the “integrated spatula rest” but the shape and size are the same and the non-stick will be better (teflon instead of ceramic). Overall it’s a useful and versatile shape, but there are tasks for which it’s not optimal and there are tasks for which a non-stick pan is not optimal. I’m sure there are people for whom the always pan is the best pan for the cooking they do, but it wouldn’t be for me and i can’t tell you if it is for you.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

For anything baking related I always check here first since they actually carry pro-level equipment.
https://www.pastrychef.com/PANDORO-BAKING-PAN_p_2923.html

Hey thanks! Looks like that should do the trick, and now I have a new place to look for equipment too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Chest freezer organiser ideas? Mostly smaller subprimal stuff, no primals, deer carcasses, or anything like that. Basically I want to divide everything into bins/bags, just wondering if there are any clever all-in-one solutions, or if the optimal strategy is just to get a bunch of random bins and bags and tetris them all together.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Thermapens on holiday sale. Finally got myself one because my good-enough non-thermapen digital thermometer was finally NOT good enough and cost me some butterscotch.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

To that goon who bought the Anova combi-oven, just wanted to see what you think of it now that you've had it for a couple of weeks now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

halokiller posted:

To that goon who bought the Anova combi-oven, just wanted to see what you think of it now that you've had it for a couple of weeks now.

Hey there!

We like it well enough, but it’s definitely a 1.0 product.

Good:
- steaming, roasting, steam-baking bread, and broiling all work well
- the temperature control is very good and makes results much more predictable especially for our kids
- proofing bread works really well
- it’s not usually very loud
- reheating rice on a sheet pan with 50% steam works quite well
- heats up pretty quickly (haven’t timed it, but a few minutes to 375F I would say)

Less good:
- mine crashes/reboots halfway through the firmware update that’s available
- it doesn’t always react to button presses/touches, though that has become less frequent over the month+ we’ve had it, so maybe a physical issue that needed to be broken in somehow. it was infuriating at first though
- my emails to the support address about the first two just disappeared without a ticket number, so I need to try again when I remember
- doesn’t fit a standard sheet pan. The one it comes with fits fine, obviously, and so do half sheet pans
- sometimes it hits a resonant frequency and vibrates a fair bit. not structurally an issue, but it sure makes some noise rattling about
- broiling is a bit uneven when using it for toast, as is predictable from the way the top element is shaped
- there’s no control for the light and it doesn’t stay on, so you have to open the door briefly to get the light on again
- it sometimes emits steam from the exhaust vent even when steam is at zero. this might not affect cooking, but it’s unexpected

I haven’t used the app (other than to fail to install the firmware update), or “sous vide mode” yet, but I’ll probably do the latter some time this week.

I would recommend it, but I would not fault anyone for waiting a few more months for them to sort it out a bit. The bad outnumber the good above, but the core functions are fine and the issues mostly minor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After chopping my Oxo cutting board in half, I decided it was time to get new ones... they were a year old and had heavy use anyways.

Oxo has redesigned their cutting boards and... they seem to not slip on wet countertops now due to slightly larger feet

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Hey there!

We like it well enough, but it’s definitely a 1.0 product.

Good:
- steaming, roasting, steam-baking bread, and broiling all work well
- the temperature control is very good and makes results much more predictable especially for our kids
- proofing bread works really well
- it’s not usually very loud
- reheating rice on a sheet pan with 50% steam works quite well
- heats up pretty quickly (haven’t timed it, but a few minutes to 375F I would say)

Less good:
- mine crashes/reboots halfway through the firmware update that’s available
- it doesn’t always react to button presses/touches, though that has become less frequent over the month+ we’ve had it, so maybe a physical issue that needed to be broken in somehow. it was infuriating at first though
- my emails to the support address about the first two just disappeared without a ticket number, so I need to try again when I remember
- doesn’t fit a standard sheet pan. The one it comes with fits fine, obviously, and so do half sheet pans
- sometimes it hits a resonant frequency and vibrates a fair bit. not structurally an issue, but it sure makes some noise rattling about
- broiling is a bit uneven when using it for toast, as is predictable from the way the top element is shaped
- there’s no control for the light and it doesn’t stay on, so you have to open the door briefly to get the light on again
- it sometimes emits steam from the exhaust vent even when steam is at zero. this might not affect cooking, but it’s unexpected

I haven’t used the app (other than to fail to install the firmware update), or “sous vide mode” yet, but I’ll probably do the latter some time this week.

I would recommend it, but I would not fault anyone for waiting a few more months for them to sort it out a bit. The bad outnumber the good above, but the core functions are fine and the issues mostly minor.

Thanks for this! Just to be clear, the counter top version will fit a standard quarter sheet pan (9x13”) like a countertop toaster oven, right?

I’m intrigued and would really consider getting a full size one.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Test Pattern posted:

Thermapens on holiday sale. Finally got myself one because my good-enough non-thermapen digital thermometer was finally NOT good enough and cost me some butterscotch.

Just got one last week in time for Thanksgiving. After wearing out 2 cheapo digital thermometers I finally decided to step up and buy the Thermapen. Only had a chance to use it a little this weekend, but it seems to be as good as promised.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

Thanks for this! Just to be clear, the counter top version will fit a standard quarter sheet pan (9x13”) like a countertop toaster oven, right?

I’m intrigued and would really consider getting a full size one.

Yeah, that’ll fit fine.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm getting sick of broiling toast in my oven and I was thinking of buying the first toaster of my adult life but a friend pointed out a toaster oven would be more versatile. If I'm going to buy something that large I'd like it to replace my air fryer as well so I'm looking a toaster oven capable of convection cooking.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the Anova Combi-Oven and the Breville Smart Oven. The Breville has a larger interior, but the Anova is the fancy new hotness.

EDIT: Not really worried about the cost difference. Just which is more likely to be most useful.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 6, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You won’t be disappointed in the breville but that anova definitely has my curiosity piqued. I think a couple posters here already have it, and one has posted a mostly positive review.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

captkirk posted:

I'm getting sick of broiling toast in my oven and I was thinking of buying the first toaster of my adult life but a friend pointed out a toaster oven would be more versatile. If I'm going to buy something that large I'd like it to replace my air fryer as well so I'm looking a toaster oven capable of convection cooking.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the Anova Combi-Oven and the Breville Smart Oven. The Breville has a larger interior, but the Anova is the fancy new hotness.

EDIT: Not really worried about the cost difference. Just which is more likely to be most useful.

If one of your goals is having a toaster, I'd go the Breville over the Anova. You'd basically be doing the same thing you are now with the Anova.
Also check space requirements/restrictions if you haven't already. You have to plan your space around the Anova Oven and the Breville Smart Oven Air model (not to be confused with the similarly named Smart Oven Air Fryer >.>), they are huge.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but I am having the worst time finding a salt and pepper mill set that doesn't stop functioning within months.

Most of them have some sort of white plastic on the business end which just innevitably gets ground down from the spice and doesn't work. I'm on my third set in a year and just don't know what brand to get that has solid metal components for the grinder portion. Can't find anything in amazon.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but I am having the worst time finding a salt and pepper mill set that doesn't stop functioning within months.

Most of them have some sort of white plastic on the business end which just innevitably gets ground down from the spice and doesn't work. I'm on my third set in a year and just don't know what brand to get that has solid metal components for the grinder portion. Can't find anything in amazon.

I've got a Peugot set on the table that have done well with years of daily use, and a Unicorn pepper mill by the stove that is holding up just fine.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I’ve used a zassenhaus grinder for like a decade and it’s perfectly fine. Uses a ceramic mechanism.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a no name with ceramic burr cone it’s been working fine for 10 years

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Unicorn magnum pepper mill
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0006GSR76/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_rLzZFb57BHQN9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

Peugeot Paris.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

Peugeot Paris.

Yep, precisely so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

yup this one is excellent