Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Time in Star Wars is always based on how long you think it takes to get anywhere.

A New Hope is like 3 days worth of action but it feels like Leia was imprisoned longer than that?

Empire's time in the middle is always all hosed up.

Jedi is back to like 3 days of action.

Phantom Menace is probably 5-7 days of action but the most travel.

Attack of the Clones feels like Anakin and Padme on Naboo has to be either like, a day to make Anakin maximum uncomfortable or at least a week or so. Then more travel. Obi-wan is probably imprisoned for a bit?

Sith is back to 3-4 days of action.

The Disney ones are garbage so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tfa literally takes place over the course of like 18 hours

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Stairmaster posted:

Tfa literally takes place over the course of like 18 hours

Star Wars Episode 7: Finn's Busy Day

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Darko posted:

Multiple shots of Sheev stabbing at the camera and counter shots of Jedi falling over.

the behind the scenes for ROTS talk about how ian mcdarmid wanted to do the fight scenes himself rather than using a body double with compositing in post.

obviously neither a body double nor ian mcdarmid can do a 920 acid drop into triple jedi murder skateboard combo, but a significant chunk of the fight scenes has to work around the fact that they have an actual Very Old Man doing a lot of the action, so there's a lot of cheating, like this.

his duel against yoda doesn't suffer as much because he gets to fight a tennis ball on a stick and a lot of the fight is either wide angle or not a lightsaber duel, unlike the mace windu duel where it's two real people in a room with fake laser swords

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ungulateman posted:

the behind the scenes for ROTS talk about how ian mcdarmid wanted to do the fight scenes himself rather than using a body double with compositing in post.

obviously neither a body double nor ian mcdarmid can do a 920 acid drop into triple jedi murder skateboard combo, but a significant chunk of the fight scenes has to work around the fact that they have an actual Very Old Man doing a lot of the action, so there's a lot of cheating, like this.

his duel against yoda doesn't suffer as much because he gets to fight a tennis ball on a stick and a lot of the fight is either wide angle or not a lightsaber duel, unlike the mace windu duel where it's two real people in a room with fake laser swords

Kinda the same problem they had with Alec Guinness in ANH, where even with the slower Kendo style it's still obvious he's a very old man who isn't physically capable of being the centerpiece of an action scene. Hell the guy in the Vader suit isn't either. It's a technical triumph they made Vader look more or less good fighting in ESD and RotJ with how bulky and blind as that suit is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shiroc posted:

Jedi is back to like 3 days of action.

It always felt to me like a little time passed between Jabba and the Death Star parts, even if it was a quick transition.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shiroc posted:

Time in Star Wars is always based on how long you think it takes to get anywhere.

I think TFA is the first time we see a complete hyperspace jump in a single scene and it really made the galaxy feel smaller.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think TFA is the first time we see a complete hyperspace jump in a single scene and it really made the galaxy feel smaller.

and that god drat scene with the mouth sliding off of the windshield...

what WERE YOU THINKING JAR JAR

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The first hyperspace jump is really the only one that is framed like a voyage. Empire of course expands the voyage scenes to be the whole first half of the story for Han Leia Threepio.

The x-wing had to be hyperspace capable for Luke to go off in one to dagobah in Empire, while that never came up in Star Wars. Pretty uncomfortable to be in a cockpit for days

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Schwarzwald posted:

It always felt to me like a little time passed between Jabba and the Death Star parts, even if it was a quick transition.

Yeah. There is some ??? time between Jabba and the Briefing. Then ??? time between that and getting to Endor. On Endor we see two days explicitly.

It is unclear how long the Jabba sequence is but Luke probably wouldn't leave Leia there for long.

Is the multiplanet celebration at the end of Jedi the only time the Lucas movies show different planets "simultaneously" at obviously different times of day?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Yeah. There is some ??? time between Jabba and the Briefing. Then ??? time between that and getting to Endor. On Endor we see two days explicitly.

It is unclear how long the Jabba sequence is but Luke probably wouldn't leave Leia there for long.

Is the multiplanet celebration at the end of Jedi the only time the Lucas movies show different planets "simultaneously" at obviously different times of day?

Order 66 I guess

I don't know if it's related, but the pacing of ROTJ always felt weird. Jabba's palace takes forever to set up and play out and then you basically walk into the briefing room for the final battle. Always felt weird

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, and the Jaba part has to take place over the course of at least a few weeks. They're not all showing up one day after another. The plan isn't that bad. Is it?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's a compressed rescue the princess plot set in the cantina. It's a reaffirmation of the first movie after the moody sequel

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In each case, an amount of time that would make sense passes. If hours makes sense to you, it was hours; if months makes sense to you, it was months.

Revenge of the Sith comes very close to having that Aristotelian unity of place (if you had a messenger enter stage right and announce General Kenobi's victories on the front lines or whatever, which would be very theatrical but not very cinematic, only the trip to Mustafar wouldn't take place on Coruscant) and unity of action (it all comes down to Anakin intervening to save Palpatine from Mace Windu), but you'd have to make some serious cuts to justify a reading that gives it unity of time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, and the Jaba part has to take place over the course of at least a few weeks. They're not all showing up one day after another. The plan isn't that bad. Is it?

I believe in my heart it is that bad. Lando is probably there a week or two. Droids show up one morning. Leia and Chewie in the afternoon. Leia gets caught in the evening because Jabba isn't a moron. Luke shows up the next early morning while everyone is still sleeping off staying up late to catch Leia. Sarlaac is a Sunday early afternoon pleasure cruise.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Time doesn't matter in movies unless you establish ticking clocks. It's like celebrities who are short irl but don't look it in pictures. Unless you have a frame of reference to go off of in narrative, the language of film is fluid enough that you just fill in the blanks yourself.

Why they included a specific number of hours before total space genocide in TROS is my biggest mystery because you'd think JJ would know better than that. It was such an absurdly small time for a galactic treasure hunt to take place in.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 12, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because ticking clock equals drama.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how this thread can have a prompt like the mostly vague and ephemeral sense of time in Star Wars and still find good points on how the Disney movies hosed that up for no reason too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how the last episodes of Clone Wars take place from finding out Palpatine was kidnapped through Order 66, and we still can't quite figure out the timing of it because there are travel lapses in that too.

The point where its like "oh, Anakin just killed Dooku" is pretty funny.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personally I always felt that Palpatine killing three Jedi masters with ease was just to show how much more powerful Palpatine is compared to them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
That much is a given; people generally complain because he doesn't look cool enough while he does it. It's like the opposite of the complaint 'i wanted the prequels to be three movies of anakin skywalker killing bad guys and then becoming a bad guy and killing good guys'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All that was missing was Palps dropping a sick burn like “Master Windu, behold, the DEAD-I Order!” before the two of them started battling.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

ungulateman posted:

That much is a given; people generally complain because he doesn't look cool enough while he does it. It's like the opposite of the complaint 'i wanted the prequels to be three movies of anakin skywalker killing bad guys and then becoming a bad guy and killing good guys'

Eh. For me it's more like they establish him as a master space wizard with before unseen unholy powers in the original trilogy, and throughout the prequels he's seen as a master manipulator who's managed to throw the wool over everyone's eyes through his dark side powers and then... he's just some guy with a lightsaber like every other character in the prequels.

Same deal with Yoda really.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In terms of old men lightsaber battles, Count Dooku walked so that Palpatine could spin-jump.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ungulateman posted:

but star wars doesn't use slow motion
Don't tell that to ESB and Luke's encounter in the cave.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When did slow motion start being a thing in movies?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When did slow motion start being a thing in movies?

Depends on what you mean by "a thing", because slow motion has been used since the dawn of cinema. Silent movies would create slow motion by overcrank the camera.

But I assume this is not what you meant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'Bullet time' is The Matrix.

e: or at least, that's the film that everyone started copying it from. I don't know if technically they were the first but my understanding is that a lot of those shots were pioneering cinematography. Not merely slow motion but panning the camera around a scene while in slow motion.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I mean, the way the scene plays where Windu goes to fight Palpatine, Anakin shows up and tells him that Palps is the Sith Lord as he’s about to hop on that gunship with Kit Fisto and those other randos, then he just hops on and goes with them to arrest Palpatine instead of presumably going wherever it was they were originally going. It’s not like an elite squad he put together for this purpose.

We know Kit Fisto can box because we’ve seen him in action in TCW but those other two? Who knows. And even if they have been out leading troops and aren’t just the mediator and bureaucrat type guys who kept things spinning on Coruscant while the real chads were out fighting, Clone Wars experience or not, literally almost no living Jedi has experience fighting a real Sith Lord at that point. Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda are it. If you take old EU as canon then Mace is the biggest swinging dick in the galaxy and even he’s only fought Dark Jedi and powerful but raw Force users like Kar Vastor. Remember in AOTC where Dooku disabled Anakin and Obi-Wan instantly and pretty effortlessly? And this is Darth Sidious, most powerful Sith Lord ever.

Those two idiots probably just stand there because they haven’t ever been in a non-training lightsaber fight, much less seen a red lightsaber ever, and now the Chancellor is corkscrewing at them at 100 mph swinging one and they’re trying to remember their loving 5th grade saber fighting lessons with Yoda and oh poo poo they’re dead. Kit Fisto hangs on for a second because he’s combat hardened but still, no real applicable experience and it only takes one cut.

Windu wins because it turns out he really is the biggest swinging dick around and once the element of corkscrew surprise is gone Sidious isn’t as good a duelist as he is a powers and plans guy, and I maintain the Emperor’s plan didn’t involve getting disarmed and blasted in the face with his own lightning, as evidenced by how it backfires on him in humiliating failure twice more, in TROS the exact same way in fact.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 12, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It makes a lot of sense that Sith train specifically to be the hard counter to Jedi.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Jedi are typically good at fighting because they have spidey-senses.

If a dark lord cancels out their abilities with his own superior power, then the Jedi are just awkward people holding sticks.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
The Lucas concept of the Sith is so much cooler than anything they've ever done with them in either EU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ungulateman posted:

obviously neither a body double nor ian mcdarmid can do a 920 acid drop into triple jedi murder skateboard combo

That was always the hardest trick to land in Pro Skater Remastered

You bite your tongue about McDiarmid though

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hard to blame ol' Ian McD for wanting to finally do a fight scene in a Star War

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cheesus posted:

Don't tell that to ESB and Luke's encounter in the cave.

That's a lower framerate and not slow motion though, isnt it?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

The Lucas concept of the Sith is so much cooler than anything they've ever done with them in either EU

what’s the distinction between Lucas’ Sith and the old EU Sith? he signed off on all that stuff and vetoed the poo poo he thought was wrong

anyway I always thought Kreia in KOTOR 2 was cool. all the Jedi to Sith turning methods we’d seen were basically just a Sith cackling and going “come on, do it, you know you want to bro” like a DARE ad. Kreia was a good execution of having the player actually being reasoned and argued into seeing the logic of her way of thinking only to realize oh poo poo, she’s a Nazi/Sith and you’ve been red pilled into becoming an objectivist and agreeing with her without realizing what ideology you were gradually talking yourself into. and then having to confront the added complexity that while that’s the label, it’s not the logical conclusion she herself ended at in her own ideology and to dismiss her right there is dogma and an insufficient analysis of her argument, as she’s blown past into embracing anarchy and the frankly reasonable assessment that the whole rotten thing needs to be torn down if the cycle of misery is ever going to stop

then you stop her to get the “Good Ending” i guess, which only serves to validate her position as the game is hundreds of years in the past and we know that at the very least her assessment of the Star forever Wars has indeed continued to be accurate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is that I've never seen TPM all the way through; I had the novelisation, which had some scenes I think were cut from the movie, like an opening where Anakin goes on a trip to do an errand for Watto and has a moment healing up a wounded Tusken Raider and the rest show up and help him get home.

Also a bit more explicit that the Sith as an organisation ultimately destroyed themselves because their ideology is ultimately toxic and self-destructive in a fashion between libertarianism and cartoon supervillains where everyone wants to be the ultimate evil overlord, with the Rule of Two being the most they can tolerate at a time. 'Cannibalistic leapfrog' they call it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OctoberCountry posted:

It's interesting that for a series that's been criticized for explaining too much, the prequels establish jack poo poo about what the Sith actually are.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Sith were an ancient, defeated enemy of the Jedi. Sheev used their name and aesthetics to get the Jedi to react like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hq0wH7MI38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It's interesting that for a series that's been criticized for explaining too much, the prequels establish jack poo poo about what the Sith actually are.

Or the prophecy. Or what the Jedi order actually believes in.

The further away I get from last having actually watched the prequels and having the acknowledge all the problems there are with how they come out, the more I appreciate how bold and genius some of the ideas that Lucas had were.

Imagine pitching to Disney a three film series where the main villain who is taking over the galaxy is a periphery character who will enact most of his plot either in the background or by implication and there will never be a point where the protagonists fully comprehend what he's done.