Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Do we think MS would block a game from releasing where the Series S version runs 30fps at 720p?

Why? 30fps has been the standard target for more than a decade and will probably remain that way this new gen as soon as the initial wave of remakes and upgraded last gen versions subsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

Games that are Xbox Series X|S Enhanced have to be upgraded to support the new features. For example, my copy of Dirt 5 had to download like 60gb of stuff before I could play it.

Redownloading isn't a huge surprise. Is this also a thing for the newer disc games (i.e. they're labeled as "Xbox One/Series X" but are actually just the XB1 version and if you insert the disc it does a full redownload of the Series X version)? I know that's the case at least for AC Valhalla.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Laserface posted:

Does that mean that there is a bunch of people buying series X that didn't have bones itt? Everyone redownloading poo poo seems to suggest that.

I didn't have a bone, and I know at least one other person posted that they skipped last gen. Out seems weird to get a new system at launch when you didn't have the previous one, but with his good back compatibility is it makes sense with this one.

I don't even have gamepass and it was excruciating downloading everything. Luckily I had discs for Red Dead Redemption 2, but it Halo guardians, and Hitman were all 100Gb. Hopefully the hardware decompression means we can have smaller game sizes and higher res textures, but since they'll all probably want to support the ones, probs not.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To put that 360 GB in perspective, the new CoD is like 130 GB by itself

I get that MS is targeting lower-end consumers with the Series S but it’s going to be hard for people to buy many games for it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I think that as things sit right now, it’s a bigger problem than the GPU. Good news is it’s easy to add more storage in a hardware refresh. It’s harder for them to add more GPU, so if devs don’t want to think about it as a target then they’ll just stop selling it in 3 years.

One part of them using standard M.2 drives is it should make future SKUs with more storage trivial to output. Although they really went low with the Series S, given that costs suggest that the 512gb-1tb price difference for the class of drive used was like $35US on the consumer end (and would obviously be far less for a huge corp buying millions of them).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So I have 25 games installed on my Series S and still have 60gb free. The pre release sentiment of 😂 only fit 3 games 😂 seems a bit overblown.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Is this also a thing for the newer disc games (i.e. they're labeled as "Xbox One/Series X" but are actually just the XB1 version and if you insert the disc it does a full redownload of the Series X version)?

My understanding is that this is the case. There might be smaller games that can fit all the necessary assets onto one disc but I'm not sure.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's almost 200GB on Series X and PlayStation 5. None of these consoles have enough hard drive space and it's likely going to be something we struggle with for the entire generation. Cold storage is easy on the Xbox consoles, at least.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get that MS is targeting lower-end consumers with the Series S but it’s going to be hard for people to buy many games for it

COD isn't really a good example for most games. Valhalla is only 47GBs. The biggest thing I've installed so far is the Halo MCC which is 101GBs. I've installed about 23 games and I've still got 200GB's left on my Series X. You really need an external SSD for the Series S for sure if you want to keep a medium-sized library available to you but it's not like it only fits 3 games on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's all a matter of what games you care about. It's like how if you exclusively get cartridge games on Switch you don't need a microSD card no matter how many games you get, unless you get one of the games where they skimped on the cart contents (e.g. NBA 2K, MK11).

Like if you install COD MW and COD Cold War to the internal how much space does that leave you with?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of people will be buying CoD though

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Another thing Call of Duty does is let you uninstall parts of the game you aren't playing, and even some features including HD textures and raytracing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

Another thing Call of Duty does is let you uninstall parts of the game you aren't playing, and even some features including HD textures and raytracing.

Wait, how much space does Ray Tracing take up?

Also it's kind of defeating the purpose to uninstall the entire reason for a next gen console. They have a console for people who want to play games without HD textures or ray tracing.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Wait, how much space does Ray Tracing take up?

I went in and looked just now. It looks like the install for Series X is 130GB, not 190GB. I swear I saw that when I downloaded it overnight.

Here is how much each part costs in hard drive space (all of these are listed as "No more than X GB" for some reason):

Base: 32.1
Campaign: 58.8
Multiplayer: 27.6
Zombies: 7.4
Dead Ops Arcade: 11.7
HD Textures: 38.1
Raytracing data: 11.8

I also have five content packs at 10.1MB each.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I still have no idea when my midnight launch day order from MS is going to ship. The pending charge I had on my card has disappeared. I guess I get to spend some time with phone support today.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of people that buy CoD don't play anything else though.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 12, 2020

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Don't have an X on order yet but holy hell on tracking a couple of somewhat related packages I need from Amazon first it looks like the launch of two consoles broke them and UPS given the keystone cop tracking.

You’re telling me... for some reason my PS5s needed to take a quick trip to the Liberty Bell before coming back to Florida.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 12, 2020

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Laserface posted:

Does that mean that there is a bunch of people buying series X that didn't have bones itt? Everyone redownloading poo poo seems to suggest that.

This is what I find so odd about all the reviews I've been seeing. They're all like "well there's no strong reason to buy it because you can already play everything on your Xbox One" and I'm like, I never had an Xbox One. The backwards compat is a huge feature and the whole Xbone catalog is a great reason to buy the thing. Why does every reviewer assume everyone has an Xbone?

PS4 was whatever. I miss Forza and Halo, guys.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

zenintrude posted:

You’re telling me... for some reason my PS5s needed to take a quick trip to the liberty bell before coming back to Florida.

once in a while I'll order something that is in Pennsylvania > Upstate NY and for some reason it goes to California first. shipping is weird

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reviewers speak mainly to a more enthusiast audience and are themselves so they sort of forget that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ColdPie posted:

I miss Forza and Halo, guys.

I mean tbf so has every Xbox fan for many years now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

univbee posted:

I mean tbf so has every Xbox fan for many years now.

Halo 3 is right there, now running at 4K!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Akuma posted:

So I have 25 games installed on my Series S and still have 60gb free. The pre release sentiment of 😂 only fit 3 games 😂 seems a bit overblown.

OR you could have COD installed and room for two future updates (at which point it will stop updating because there's no room left to update)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Akuma posted:

Game sizes seem to finally be going down. I was dying with my 500GB Bone and Destiny 2 at 120GB, MCC at 105GB or whatever it is, Forza at 65GB. I'm not even a CoD guy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sometimes the companies seem to like loving up the point of "download only the parts you want." I downloaded Doom Eternal off GamePass and saw that it was two parts multiplayer and campaign. So I removed multiplayer. Turns out the single player campaign is only a 10mb key that won't play without downloading multiplayer! gently caress you, Bethesda!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Just got a Series X (and have Gamepass Ultimate), first 'box since I had a 360 in like 2007 or so. Stoked to play all the one games I missed.

Wondering if anyone can help with a question I have - my wife has a 360 with a Viva Piñata save she would hate to lose; I remember hearing a while ago that Microsoft was allowing free cloud saves so I signed in with my XBL account and hoped to backup the saves - but they're on her profile, and she doesn't have live. I'm boned aren't I?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yep I'm the one gang banging your severs to death...well that and the over 1-2tb of downloads I've been doing. :smuggo:

Also I never realized how deep the Xbox BC catalog is. I typed in Call of Duty and was shocked I could just get and play World at War or even MW3 (though the later I'm waiting for the eventual remastered version)...but I was shocked to see a ton of non-first party titles still available. I mean even without new purchases Game Pass is so insanely deep and stacked I could be fine for a long time before really needing any new games.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I booted up Black Ops 1 last night. Are there really 1.7 million people still playing it on Xbox or is the counter busted?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

sarcastx posted:

Just got a Series X (and have Gamepass Ultimate), first 'box since I had a 360 in like 2007 or so. Stoked to play all the one games I missed.

Wondering if anyone can help with a question I have - my wife has a 360 with a Viva Piñata save she would hate to lose; I remember hearing a while ago that Microsoft was allowing free cloud saves so I signed in with my XBL account and hoped to backup the saves - but they're on her profile, and she doesn't have live. I'm boned aren't I?

The Xbox 360 got an update last month or so that gives everyone cloud saves. As long as her profile has a gamertag associated with it, you should be able to upload her save using her 360 even without Gold.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Roman posted:

I booted up Black Ops 1 last night. Are there really 1.7 million people still playing it on Xbox or is the counter busted?

I booted up blops 2 on PS3 a while back and was surprised to find full lobbies every time i tried it

Now, there may be a situation where they programmed the counter to never go below 1.7m or something like that happening as well

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I booted up blops 2 on PS3 a while back and was surprised to find full lobbies every time i tried it

Now, there may be a situation where they programmed the counter to never go below 1.7m or something like that happening as well

It can also be the new upcoming COD launch too.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

ColdPie posted:

PS4 was whatever. I miss Forza and Halo, guys.

ok but - as a person who sat out the bone zone and had a PS4 Pro I gotta tell you, this console loving nags.
Constantly with the notifications and the xbox OS saying poo poo about quest rewards and the RIVAL RECOMMENDATION and the PRESS Y TO REWIND and - - - everything is so loving frenetic. Like, the OS nags, and then the games nag. The only time my PS4 did popovers during games was trophy notifications. And there's ads on the home screen! why are there ads?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the player counter in old cods has been busted a long time. also blops 1 and 2 were very badly hacked last time i played, which was about a year ago. like you could open up the theatre menu in game and click a video and a hack menu would show up, and every lobby had 1-2 hackers or more

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Roman posted:

The counters for pretty much all Call of Duty games stopped working several years ago. BO1/2 are still decently active, but the rest are dying a very slow death. I sat in a TDM queue for about 15-20 minutes in MW3 not too long ago before bailing because I couldn't find a game. MW2 doesn't fare much better, and it seems like COD4 is more active than both of those games combined which I thought was interesting. MW2019 seems to have reunited the majority of the COD demographic after multiple years of lovely games splintering the playerbase

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 12, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In keeping with the law of COD that means the new one will be lovely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Not everybody had an external SSD on there, but I’m rapidly fixing that thanks to the threads advice to get an internal drive and put it in an enclosure.

Do we think MS would block a game from releasing where the Series S version runs 30fps at 720p?

Based on how they let pubg come out in 2018 i highly doubt they care too much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Turns out games are all different sizes now

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Storm One posted:

Why? 30fps has been the standard target for more than a decade and will probably remain that way this new gen as soon as the initial wave of remakes and upgraded last gen versions subsides.

If people are fine with games running like that, then the Series S will certainly run everything this whole generation to come.

Its CPU is barely slower, so devs can ship a Series S version with super low effort just by downing textures and resolution.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I got the X but the hysteria around the S is dumb. My XB1 that I had until yesterday had the same internal HD space (maybe less?) and while definitely not ideal was not a big issue. I was able to easily have 10-20 games on it at a given time. Every time the space argument comes up someone talks about COD like clockwork. It's an incredibly stupidly huge game compared to most titles and not everyone wants to play it. Sekiro is 12 gb I dunno why a game that is about fourteen times its size always is used as the example.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 12, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Storm One posted:

I'm curious if this is gonna really happen for the X. Because if we spend a year playing bone and crossover gen games at 60fps, it's going to feel like poo poo playing a 'next gen' game at 30 FPS unless the visuals otherwise look really, really good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

I'm curious if this is gonna really happen for the X. Because if we spend a year playing bone and crossover gen games at 60fps, it's going to feel like poo poo playing a 'next gen' game at 30 FPS unless the visuals otherwise look really, really good.

Developers will get metrics on if people are preferring 4K vs performance modes.

I know that I'd prefer 1080p60 with the extra GPU dumped into good anti-aliasing over 4K that can't hold 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Morfid_plays/status/1326593827264671745?s=20