Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm just cracking up at the poster that thinks a 3.69 billion dollar multinational corporation is "unwashed masses". Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s basically the reason that we don’t call people “colored” anymore; it implies that there is a normal state for humans, (“white” or “fully figured,”) and an alternate state for irregular humans (“colored” or “disfigured.”)

But in this context the game is talking about a burn victim. They weren't born that way, they became that way. The normal state of humans IS not-on-fire.

Yes, it would be rude to ask somehow "how they became disfigured", but that's not what the quest log entry is doing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

But in this context the game is talking about a burn victim. They weren't born that way, they became that way. The normal state of humans IS not-on-fire.

Yes, it would be rude to ask somehow "how they became disfigured", but that's not what the quest log entry is doing.
To be fair, you could say the same thing about calling someone a "cripple." It's just not really done anymore, because social context has made it into an insult instead of merely describing a medical condition. It's possible to be over-sensitive about that kind of thing and I don't think I've ever seen "disfigurement" used in anything other than a descriptive sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't become a slur anyway.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The normal state of humans IS not-on-fire.

You might want to revisit this opinion in 10-15 years :coal:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This euphemism treadmill poo poo is driving me crazy.

I think the euphemism treadmill is fine, that's the way language works, but it could maybe slow down a little instead of accelerating and accelerating until it reaches the point that people start dismissing it.

Anyway, moving on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/duckvalentine/status/1326876584184262657

Yo, this is cool

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-12-the-careful-cultivation-and-localization-of-sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm thinking about buying this and just seeing it for myself, seems like no one else here has yet

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fanatical has a new Platinum Bundle that looks like it has some real gems, discounted prices when you buy 3, 5, or 7. The ones that caught my eye:

Lethal League Blaze - Relatively new one on one game of increasingly frantic baseball-dodgeball fighting game
Streets of Rogue - Really great reviews all round
Dirt Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition
GRID Ultimate Edition
Grip (the Rollcage-like)
Call of Juarez Gunslinger - Played this before, A+ cowboying action
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - Haven't played this one, but I think this one is regarded as good
Metro 2033 Redux - Dystopian horror FPS
Vambrace Cold Soul - looks like a Darkest Dungeon-like?
Guacamelee! 2 - Lucha! Metroidvania
Aeon's End - port of a well reviewed deckbuilding tabletop game
Tropico 5

Bunch more I'm not familiar with at all, like Kunai, Urban Empire, Low Magic Age...

Out of the ones I'm interested in, I'm eyeing Lethal League Blaze for sure, then some combination of Guacamelee! 2, Grip, Dirt Rally 2, Tropico 5, Streets of Rogue.

EDIT: "Relatively new" Lethal League Blaze has been out since 2018 what

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Though the game is clearly half farming simulator, fans of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley will find something quite different from other genre staples. Instead of cultivating a wide variety of crops, Sakuna focuses entirely on rice growing, honing in on precise details such as water levels, pest control, weeding, seed spacing, and activities such as harvesting, threshing, hulling and seed separating, where nuances in each can impact what kind of rice crop is brought in each year.
Huh, that actually sounds a lot more unique and interesting than I would've expected just from looking at the store page. Pretty different approach to take, more like something from one of those German agricultural sims than a Harvest Moon knockoff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Out of the ones I'm interested in, I'm eyeing Lethal League Blaze for sure, then some combination of Guacamelee! 2, Grip, Dirt Rally 2, Tropico 5, Streets of Rogue.
Streets of Rogue and Guacamelee 2 would be my recommendation. Streets of Rogue is just a great roguelite game and while a lot of people whine about Guacamelee 2 being too much of a "same as the first game, but more of it" sequel, it's still just fun and satisfying to suplex a skeleton as it was in the first one.

e: quote is not edit, oops.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be curious to hear how it is. They had me at "rice farming simulator" but then lost me at "action platformer" :/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lethal League is an excellent multiplayer-only game. It’s anime pong and it gets to insane levels of hype when the ball picks up enough velocity to break the sound barrier.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

To be fair, you could say the same thing about calling someone a "cripple." It's just not really done anymore, because social context has made it into an insult instead of merely describing a medical condition. It's possible to be over-sensitive about that kind of thing and I don't think I've ever seen "disfigurement" used in anything other than a descriptive sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't become a slur anyway.

hence the slur treadmill - ANY word can drift from technical to slur because of pejorative usage.

Now, there's theoretically an infinite pool of POSSIBLE words we could invent to replace these, but in essence it is shifting the problem from "You shouldn't think of those people that way" to a mere "You shouldn't type these specific letters in that order". Solving the latter does absolutely NOTHING to stop the former.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So wait is "disfigured" ableist language or is that not what that person was even upset about and we just had this entire conversation and consensus based on a fallacy of our own creation

like I didn't need to play Katawa Shoujo to figure addressing someone with "hey what's with the hideously disfiguring scar" is generally considered poor form but what if the character is described as disfigured because that's how she thinks of herself, what about that :colbert:

The reason I get so worn out on this is because I'm fairly sure I'm no more biased against any creed or minority than the Avenue Q song but then suddenly loving Pepe the Frog is an alt-right mascot and the "ok" hand gesture symbolizes white power and I just :cripes: I'm tired of lovely people turning mundane things into lovely things which I might unknowingly use or have been using for years in perfectly harmless capacity.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 12, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Excelzior posted:

hence the slur treadmill - ANY word can drift from technical to slur because of pejorative usage.

Now, there's theoretically an infinite pool of POSSIBLE words we could invent to replace these, but in essence it is shifting the problem from "You shouldn't think of those people that way" to a mere "You shouldn't type these specific letters in that order". Solving the latter does absolutely NOTHING to stop the former.
True, but you just can't simply fix human nature in general, so it's pointless to even think of that as an achievable goal. What you as an individual can and should do, however, is to express clearly that you do not approve of that kind of thinking and the use of slurs by choosing to use the currently polite word, even if it's just as arbitrary as any of the others. It won't change the world, it does change something in the life of the people you talk to by showing them you care enough to make the effort.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So wait is "disfigured" ableist language or is that not what that person was even upset about and we just had this entire conversation and consensus based on a fallacy of our own creation
It's the internet, who cares what people really mean when there's something to get righteously angry about?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i feel like I just witnessed a lot of yelling-past-each-other

i see two conversations here, one about the word 'disfigured' being ableist and the other about how 'disfigured=>evil' is a lovely storytelling trope for multiple reasons

i think the original tweet was more focused on the latter rather than the former, but it's not immediately clear

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

generally, I don't know what the point even is of posting tweets like that in this thread, if the only reaction allowed is tepid approval. Maybe there should be a separate thread where people can discuss companies' wokeness, if it doesn't exist yet.

The point is lolling at Ubisoft, basically.

Like, I wouldn't call anybody I knew disfigured to their face but I wouldn't put anybody on trial for using the word either. None of that matters though, because it is very very funny to see Ubi's twitter being all woke after they had to fire several execs for sexual harassment.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Eh give 'em a few months, they'll have quietly rehired them at other locations and/or filled those roles with equally lovely execs

E: You know, given how confused we seem to be about the matter, I wonder if the Ubisoft twitter was just as confused about the issue as us and there'll be a hotfix in the coming weeks that just removes "disfigured" from the phrasing and nothing else lol

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 12, 2020

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I love Age of Empires 3, holy hell though I had no idea the plot was so poorly done. I mean for an RTS it's still like, a C+/B- level work but somehow in the intervening years since it released I had built it up to something much higher in my head and watching it play out now is wild. Like a sneering blood-thirsty obviously evil dude shows up to help you in one level then immediately betrays you in the next one, or one of your assumed enemies saying out-loud to no one "Why is he attacking me? I just want to stop the Cult!" to make sure we the player understand

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Any opinions on controllers? My Xbox One controller is showing its age a bit now and since it looks like new ones just released, it seems like it might be a good time to replace it. Should I go for the new Xbox Core one or the DualSense? Playstation ones work fine on Windows these days right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Koramei posted:

Any opinions on controllers? My Xbox One controller is showing its age a bit now and since it looks like new ones just released, it seems like it might be a good time to replace it. Should I go for the new Xbox Core one or the DualSense? Playstation ones work fine on Windows these days right?

Dualsense looks cool but I would personally wait to see how many multiplatform/PC titles utilize the haptic support before dropping $70 on one, since that's kind of the main selling point. I'm a psycho who uses a Steam Controller for everything but fighting games though... love my paddles and hosed up touchpad "analog stick"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

decided to go for it on Sakuna and i like the titular character already

if only for having similar feelings to myself re: sobriety :v:

goodposter
Sep 1, 2018
Does anybody remember the SA poster from a good several years ago, who bought just about every new Steam game released that week, played them a bit, and made a short video review compilation of them?

For whatever reason, his channel just didn't take off, but I loved the format and would love to revisit them. Perhaps there are some other tubers or streamers who do such a thing?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That sounds both expensive and difficult.

I was going to say I guess if you lost your job during corona and had all the time in the world to play them, film and produce reviews then sure... But if you lost your job maybe you shouldn't go all in on buying a ton of games monthly :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that only sounds sustainable if you're one of the blessed few who still have a steam press account

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

goodposter posted:

Does anybody remember the SA poster from a good several years ago, who bought just about every new Steam game released that week, played them a bit, and made a short video review compilation of them?

For whatever reason, his channel just didn't take off, but I loved the format and would love to revisit them. Perhaps there are some other tubers or streamers who do such a thing?

I think I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShotGamingVideos

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

goodposter posted:

Sounds like former admin AxeManiac’s channel SteamShots

Edit: above poster got it, ShotGaming

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I'm thinking about buying this and just seeing it for myself, seems like no one else here has yet

https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1326253295233617920

additionally there is a kitty kat

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard that you can pet dogs in Baldur's Gate 3, c/d

I'm not even a dog person but I still want to pet them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I heard that you can pet dogs in Baldur's Gate 3, c/d

I'm not even a dog person but I still want to pet them

I dunno about that but! You can pet dogs and cats in the new AssCreed.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Show me a dog being pet in the new yakoozie

I know you can pet the dog in the rice farming game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Show me a dog being pet in the new yakoozie

I know you can pet the dog in the rice farming game

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sounds like former admin AxeManiac’s channel SteamShots

Edit: above poster got it, ShotGaming

These videos... do not hold up.

Some real yikes humour.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AxeManiac and questionable humor? you don't say :thunk:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

goodposter posted:

Might be Audish?

https://goldplatedgames.com/

I think they changed their user name but i don't remember it.

Flimf fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 12, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I somehow became Steam friends with Audish and they write reviews for tons of games on there (though I think they may be on a break from it for now) and it's actually been one of the most helpful metrics for shopping on there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Excelzior posted:

AxeManiac and questionable humor? you don't say :thunk:

The era when he was mod was when I seriously considered just leaving these forums entirely, his drawings were some real gross poo poo.

This recent discussion complaining about "soft lefties policing our language" is bringing back some great memories of that time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I’m paraphrasing but I think Audish mentioned that because of the shelter in place and whole COVID thing, they weren’t doing a lot of reviews. It came up because they usually do the Halloween spooky-themed reviews and people were asking about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What is the timing for Y-button QTEs in Yakuza Like A Dragon. How do I press a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Controlling language is power, giving power to people who didn't have it is mostly a pretty good thing.