Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Ah yes,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

putting my money on sowers

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is sorta random, and I'm really not the type of guy to usually care about this kinda thing too much, but did it feel like Mass Effect, particularly 1, had a super hard-on for militarism?

So many people try to defend the Council. "It makes sense they wouldn't trust Shepard's visions. And they do help you at times." But the narrative intent seems plainly to get you fed up with them, to piss you off, as you keep uncovering more and more evidence of the Reapers and each time they just dismiss you. Had it not ben for Anderson helping you escape, everyone be dead.

And speaking of Anderson, he and Udina are night and fuckin' day. Anderson is wise where Udina is ambitious. Anderson is helpful where Udina is a hindrance.

At every opportunity civilian authority is incompetent and nearly kills everyone while only the soldiers who know what's right, who doe what must be done, saves the day. The politicians of ME1 are the biggest strawmen I've ever seen.

I dunno, I just thought ME1 was particularly hamfisted in this regard and it was one of many reasons I just don't like the game. Contrast with DA Origins where a politician saves the day and it was a rogue military veteran "doing what must be done" that nearly got everyone raped to death.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've always found ME1's politics to be something that I'm happier ignoring. A lot of it is pretty dumb.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

This is sorta random, and I'm really not the type of guy to usually care about this kinda thing too much, but did it feel like Mass Effect, particularly 1, had a super hard-on for militarism?
I agree with your observations and would add to them if I wasn't phoneposting, but, that's video games for you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The game the lets you be a spaceracist has questionable morality??? :thunk:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i don't think you encounter too many civilians in mass effect per se, since the councillors are about as civilian as putin is a civilian and democratically elected leader of russia

incidentally, a lot of people picked udina in me1 because he seemed like the kind of nixon-esque monster you wanna square off against the council, which includes a genophage apologist, a turian strongman as the galaxy's muscle, and an asari two-timing everyone for political gain - anderson has a real bad time dealing with all that if he's in charge and the only reason humanity's on pace for a council seat in the first place is because it can supply special forces candidates for spectre who'll operate secretly under the oversight of the council alone... these are not nice people

if there is a political statement in mass effect it's probably more about chickenhawks vs warhawks than say, lincolns vs shermans imho

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Humanity's richest man started a terorrist group dedicated to influencing galactic affairs to pro Human ends. He was more or less successful by every measure.

Bioware writers definitely had a theme going on in the ME series. The naked pro militarism "humans are the best race on the come up" is just how typical sci fi works. People tend to dislike stories where humans are treated as second class citizens.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that's a helluva asterisks on successful by every measure seeing as cereberus hilariously failed at almost everything it did period, save lazarus, and tim winds up as an indoctrinated liability with a bullet in his head without particularly advancing humanity unless there's book stuff i'm not aware of

but i guess he did get a lot of innocent people killed along with all those legions of cereberus employees that died along the way

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pentyne posted:

Humanity's richest man started a terorrist group dedicated to influencing galactic affairs to pro Human ends. He was more or less successful by every measure.

Bioware writers definitely had a theme going on in the ME series. The naked pro militarism "humans are the best race on the come up" is just how typical sci fi works. People tend to dislike stories where humans are treated as second class citizens.

I really like the Zones of Thought books for the idea that humanity is just a pointless offshoot that is killed off-the-page...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Which makes the ending of Mass Effect 3 all the better. It's loving hilarious, and also it's still hilarious that some folks are mad about it. None of the human chest beating to establish dominance over the rest of the galaxy really mattered. Shepard chose the form of Gozer the Destructor, but didn't even imagine Mr. Stay Puft.

It's just a game. Sometimes they don't go the way you want.

My face is tired.

Change the name of the thread to ad the word Legacy in there, like a Legacy Bowser or something.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if the Council were competent there wouldn't be much of a story - heroic narratives demand the hero be the only person capable of resolving problems

but also I wouldn't assume that the Council should be particularly competent just because they're liberal-democratic. as noted, all that means is that the Council's racism is multicultural racism, its violence bureaucratic and cloaked with diplomacy. furthermore, current events have shown us all that even democratically-elected leaders can be staggeringly foolish and short-sighted

conversely the original ME1 version of Cerberus is a military black ops unit trying to create alien shock troopers; the quarian military leadership drags the fleet into a desperate war for Rannoch to everyone else's chagrin; the turians planted a genocide bomb on Tuchanka in case the other, bigger genocide didn't stick. it's not a particularly nuanced or thoughtful portrayal but it isn't a case of soldiers always know what's smart and right while politicians are just so dumb and goddamn crazy

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah I thought the ending was kind of pushing you to choose Udina. Wasn't he the paragon option? It's been a long time but I think it was implied that Udina could be a force for good who knew how to play the game whereas Anderson would just be totally out of his element.

But then I guess ME3 made him evil.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

that's a helluva asterisks on successful by every measure seeing as cereberus hilariously failed at almost everything it did period, save lazarus, and tim winds up as an indoctrinated liability with a bullet in his head without particularly advancing humanity unless there's book stuff i'm not aware of

but i guess he did get a lot of innocent people killed along with all those legions of cereberus employees that died along the way

he fucks, too

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I thought the ending was kind of pushing you to choose Udina. Wasn't he the paragon option? It's been a long time but I think it was implied that Udina could be a force for good who knew how to play the game whereas Anderson would just be totally out of his element.

I feel like maybe they were trying to go for a 'long term unintended consequences' sort of thing, but yeah, it just winds up kinda being a gotcha. It falls squarely into the 'clearly the choice that looks good on the surface will wind up having short term gain for long term loss, while the choice that looks slightly worse short term will wind up giving you major benefit down the road.' But then again, bear in mind that ME1 is KOTOR3 with the Stars Wars stuff scribbled over and new names hastily written in, so yeah, give five credits to the homeless alien in the first level so you wind up running into him right before the end game, and he parlayed those credits into the galaxy's biggest weapon company, and he remembers it was all thanks to you, so here's a superweapon.

ME1 always has, and always will, though, be a GOAT strictly for having Shep say 'Go check Saren's body' and your two teammates wander over and just pump his corpse full of lead.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

womb with a view posted:

That was the argument Udina made, but I'm pretty sure he was the renegade option. He sold you out to the council after all.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Renegade was never even close to a consistent worldview

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TheCenturion posted:

ME1 always has, and always will, though, be a GOAT strictly for having Shep say 'Go check Saren's body' and your two teammates wander over and just pump his corpse full of lead.

Go "check" Saren's body Wrex

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm going to continue not buying more Mass Effect games if they insist on them taking place in Andromeda, a setting that nobody likes with characters everybody hates, over continuing with the Milky Way. Progressing beyond the main trilogy is really only a problem if you don't have a single ounce of creativity or just can't commit to a canon ending for some reason. Who even cares at this point anymore.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
People liked some of the andromeda characters

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I like Clancy Brown, can they cast him as someone else

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I know this is a reference to that Turian council member

but all I hear is that line from Deus Ex the Recut

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the Andromeda setting, while a bit of a stretch, contains plenty of material for a good Mass Effect game

they are 0-for-1 on that so far though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All they need to do is have another species unlock their own mass relay and suddenly find themselves the newcomers to the galactic community. Humanity's role as newcomer gets put into perspective as they've become more integrated with society and now they're seeing how the new kids on the block are getting treated. You as the portagonist could lobby for the new aliens' rights by recalling humanity's treatment by the council, or you could flex the space racism angle by taking advantage of how the council is now too focused on the newcomers to deal with human expansionism.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pattonesque posted:

the Andromeda setting, while a bit of a stretch, contains plenty of material for a good Mass Effect game

they are 0-for-1 on that so far though

They're somehow -1 for 1 on it because they turned the DLC from the game into a bad book.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Kurieg posted:

They're somehow -1 for 1 on it because they turned the DLC from the game into a bad book.

lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want the next Mass effect to let you choose your race

I want to mainline a Volus Thunderball goddamnit. Or a Hanar gunslinger

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like they could release a just multiplayer game and have it do moderately well.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
What's great about Andromeda is that on a game that ends with promise of new adventures with Ryder and friends half of the fans of the game ask for a sequal to take place dozens to hundreds of years later with a new cast.

I mean I have read a lot of speculation on that teaser image being in Andromeda but nothing about that 'angaran' being Jaal or the salarian being Kallo or Ryder being there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kilus aof posted:

What's great about Andromeda is that on a game that ends with promise of new adventures with Ryder and friends half of the fans of the game ask for a sequal to take place dozens to hundreds of years later with a new cast.

I mean I have read a lot of speculation on that teaser image being in Andromeda but nothing about that 'angaran' being Jaal or the salarian being Kallo or Ryder being there.

They have the game end with the human ark becoming a base on a brand-new mysterious planet with thousands of mysteries that was 100 percent going to be the next DLC and you can’t even go outside on it lol

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty wild that the genocidal superpowers that came out of nowhere with no frame of reference couldn't be stopped by patient diplomacy and economic interventions after a few elections to test out and select from different policy frameworks.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The council being skeptical in ME1 made perfect sense. It was loving dumb in ME2 after sovereign literally attacked the citadel, though.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sigourney Weaver in Galaxy Quest yelling “The episode was badly written!” except it’s all three installments

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mymla posted:

The council being skeptical in ME1 made perfect sense. It was loving dumb in ME2 after sovereign literally attacked the citadel, though.

tbh politicians being extremely dumb and inventing their own reality seems very realistic after experiencing the last 4 years

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Mymla posted:

The government being skeptical of covid in March made perfect sense. It was loving dumb in October after covid literally infected the president, though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

The government being skeptical of covid in March made perfect sense. It was loving dumb in October after covid literally infected the president, though.

It's really more like if england had refused to declare war on germany even after hitler bombed london.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
The only really intelligent thing to do if you believed in the ME1 reaper threat was to accept your inevitable doom and send some people to another galaxy. ME:A was the only plot other than ME1 that made sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Council being a bunch of stodgy bureaucrats who refused to do anything in the face of total annihilation was like, the most realistic thing about the politics of Mass Effect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And if you do choose Anderson for the council position, he immediately says "hmm maybe this isn't a job for a soldier after all, i'm totally out of my depth" and gives the job to udina anyway

maybe not immediately, but eventually anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I had no idea this thread loving existed. Now I’ll stop posting ME poo poo in the Dragon Age thread.

Edit:

Since I’ll be playing the remaster on PC, here’s my list of demands:

1. 21x9/Ultrawide Support.
2. Minimum 60 FPS especially ME1, which is poorly optimized.
3. Film Grain for ME3, so I don’t need to install an ENB.
4. Full Xbox 360 controller support. There’s mods for PC, but I’d rather it be built in.
5. Proper anti-aliasing that isn’t just post process. Give me TAA which is low cost/high quality and make it not gently caress with shadows in ME1 the way hardware enabled AA currently does.
6. Fix the weird slow-down face glitch that is a repeatable bug in Pinnacle Station.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 15, 2020