Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The moment no one has been waiting for..

:siren: Big Sur Has Been Released, macOS v11.0.1! :siren:

Get it at this App Store link or Software Update:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol if you guys aren't waiting for 11.0.2

Can't be worse than Catalina, I guess. gently caress it.

Also, why isn't the first version 11.0.0? Is that the beta?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The moment no one has been waiting for..

:siren: Big Sur Has Been Released, macOS v11.0.1! :siren:

Get it at this App Store link or Software Update:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

You might get "your requested version of Mac OS is not available" This is a lie, it'll still give you the option to download. I didn't understand that at first.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any way to scan for incompatible apps?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Run them and if they crash --?

Also if your apps get a ghostbusters logo suddenly pasted on them that's a good sign they're not compatible

Whoof, 12.6 GB download..

which apps were you thinking of in particular?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 12, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

lol if you guys aren't waiting for 11.0.2

Can't be worse than Catalina, I guess. gently caress it.

Also, why isn't the first version 11.0.0? Is that the beta?

I forgot to mention it changes all of your screensaver still pics to goatse

serious mode: If you boot your Big Sur machine to Target Disk Mode and attach it to a Catalina Mac, your BS volume is effectively invisable (strongbad spelling) to the Catalina Finder. Drop down to Terminal and you'll be able to get directory listings.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 12, 2020

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Binary Badger posted:

I forgot to mention it changes all of your screensaver still pics to goatse

poo poo I wasn’t gonna upgrade ....

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's not a bug, its a feature!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apples servers are getting hammered, I have 1 day left of downloading on this.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so is it no longer called OS X?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Soon as mine finished downloading I saved it to an external drive.. I was looking at the install log and it seems like it has to update the file system yet again?! before applying the patches..

It still nags you to plug in your laptop before running the install.. like I'm one of those people who decides "oh battery life at 3%? TIME TO UPGRADE" all the time.

According to a MacRumors poster who claimed to know someone in Apple, Big Sur got 2.5 million download requests in the first hour..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Comatoast posted:

Bruh I haven't heard that name in years.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Soon as mine finished downloading I saved it to an external drive.. I was looking at the install log and it seems like it has to update the file system yet again?! before applying the patches..

It still nags you to plug in your laptop before running the install.. like I'm one of those people who decides "oh battery life at 3%? TIME TO UPGRADE" all the time.

Yours is already over? Mine is going incredibly slow over gigabit. Quoting me over a day. Does it just start accelerating eventually or you just happened to start it before it all went to crap?

Because if it actually takes a day, I'm going to cancel it. I work Friday through Monday. :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Comatoast posted:

It's been MacOS for five releases now buddy, ever since Sierra

Violator
May 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Anything special to save the installer? The App Store didn’t work for me so I used system preferences. Does it save it as an app like I’ve seen before? Don’t want to redownload 12 gigs slowly onto my laptop in addition to the iMac.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gros Tarla posted:

Yours is already over? Mine is going incredibly slow over gigabit. Quoting me over a day. Does it just start accelerating eventually or you just happened to start it before it all went to crap?

Because if it actually takes a day, I'm going to cancel it. I work Friday through Monday. :)

When mine slowed down to a crawl, I just cancelled and restarted the download and it went right back to high speed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My download failed, trying again, 10 days left to finish.

[edit]
Is there an alternative method to downloading this? It keeps failing.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 12, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waiting until later usually does it for me.

Edit: I didn’t mean that to sound snarky. I usually wait until the evening to avoid the initial rush that destroys their servers.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

Any way to scan for incompatible apps?

Catalina already broke the apps, there shouldn't be any incompatible apps for Big Sur, except maybe stuff that hooks into finder.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone getting this? Download finishes but when I click to install, this is all I get.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yep that’s what I get.

Edit: A lot of people complaining on MR about it and apparently there’s a note on Apple’s status page they are investigating the issue?

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 12, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think I'm going to update today...

...from High Sierra to Mojave

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Splinter posted:

I think I'm going to update today...

...from High Sierra to Mojave
:hai::respek::shobon:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Something wrong with the updater or something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone getting this? Download finishes but when I click to install, this is all I get.

Yeah I was updating a machine on Mojave that kept quitting out of the download and is getting the same error.

What's worse is that it seems to be giving the Mac indigestion, as any other apps seem to pause for a long unnecessary period before loading, especially Terminal.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, my system is making GBS threads the bed now after getting the error message that Big Sur can’t be installed. Super slow, reporting broken apps, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Same. I can't open 1password at all. Great upgrade so far

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you're getting slowdowns in your older OS after attempting to download the Big Sur via software update, disconnect your internet for a minute.

(Pull cable from wall, switch Wi-Fi off, blow up your ISP, whatever works)

It's caused by the trustd process trying to connect to ocsp.apple.com.. disconnecting internet temporarily causes trustd to stop polling Apple which seems to be tying up the system.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah I have the slowdown too.

Solution is to turn off wifi/ethernet or prevent trustd from accessing the internet if you have something like little snitch.

This is very loving worrying.

Efb

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Just had 5 people on a company zoom call complain about their Macs... mine wouldn't open any applications for a few hours until I ran an OS update.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

In Tweet form:

https://twitter.com/lapcatsoftware/status/1326990296412991489

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thank god it's not just me. I have been spending the last two hours trying to figure out why (on Catalina) applications were extremely slow to launch, and I can't use my VPN at all anymore. It did seem like programs were launching quicker if I disconnected from Wifi, but I work from home so...

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 12, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Yeah I'm sitting here on Mojave because I'm keeping my 32-bit apps until this Apple Silicon dust settles out. I'm not thrilled about the wasted time. GG Apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

2.5 million update requests? Why are so many people thirsty for Big Sur?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah so looks like blackholing oscp.apple.com in etc hosts fixes the issue if you're having slowdowns.

So I guess this will open up a larger discussion on why the gently caress is MacOS phoning home every time you open an app and also why this failing would cause your computer to become a loving brick.

Kind of interesting that everyone knows about this privacy and technical nightmare on a day where all eyes are turned on them. A company marketing itself as privacy focused at that.

Yikes.

edit: apparently writing the full path for etc hosts triggers a cloudflare block lol wtf.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah so looks like blackholing oscp.apple.com in etc hosts fixes the issue if you're having slowdowns.

So I guess this will open up a larger discussion on why the gently caress is MacOS phoning home every time you open an app and also why this failing would cause your computer to become a loving brick.

Kind of interesting that everyone knows about this privacy and technical nightmare on a day where all eyes are turned on them. A company marketing itself as privacy focused at that.

Yikes.

edit: apparently writing the full path for etc hosts triggers a cloudflare block lol wtf.

Isn't this just the check when an app launches for the dev certificate and things?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

enojy posted:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Something wrong with the updater or something.
drat this is weird. I'm on Mojave just minding my own business and was getting random stalls and thought my ram was dying or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

2.5 million update requests? Why are so many people thirsty for Big Sur?

The kind of people that want it right away are nerds that are working from home?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Isn't this just the check when an app launches for the dev certificate and things?

Yeah, maybe. But making that call to their server to validate the cert still allows them to track what you’re launching and when. At least that would be my assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah that App security thing bit me when I was having ISP trouble this past summer. Because my network existed but wasn't resolving outside IP addresses, apps just hung upon launch after a reboot unless I was on my hotspot, or disabled the network entirely.

Didn't think of dropping oscp.apple.com via my PiHole, which I'm doing now until this is resolved.