Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Edit:nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Did anyone here actually shave, or have shaved, a word in the back of their head in the 90s?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wesleywillis posted:

Did anyone here actually shave, or have shaved, a word in the back of their head in the 90s?

My cousin had an F, first initial of his last name

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Some kid in 4th grade had the vanilla ice cut, with VIP in the back or side.
Yeah he had that american flag get up too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
RATM managed to sound pretty different on each album despite having a very clearly defined "sound" which is pretty impressive. Though obviously only having 3 real albums helped with that.

Self-titled had a couple of moments that "don't sound like" RATM, like the pretty straightforward metal riffs on "Know Your Enemy" and the Maynard cameo as well. It sounds closer to a regular "live band" rock sound. Then Evil Empire had this weird gritty low-fi thing going on. And then BOLA was a little cleaner sounding again, but still leaning harder into the weird guitar noises and farther away from "rock" even though it's not like they were using synths or anything. It's hard to pick a favorite because they all have their strengths.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

wesleywillis posted:

Not I, but I knew a kid who got the Batman symbol shaved.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was certain an old video game magazine had a reader-submitted photo of someone with Sonic the Hedgehog shaved and dyed into the back of his head, but I couldn't find it. What I did find, though, is this:

It felt like ads like this - with the forced perspective, huge detailed heads being all IN YOUR FACE and whatnot - were everywhere for a while and I just hated them. Anyone else remember this stupid trend?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pastry of the Year posted:

I was certain an old video game magazine had a reader-submitted photo of someone with Sonic the Hedgehog shaved and dyed into the back of his head, but I couldn't find it. What I did find, though, is this:

It felt like ads like this - with the forced perspective, huge detailed heads being all IN YOUR FACE and whatnot - were everywhere for a while and I just hated them. Anyone else remember this stupid trend?

I do now that you mention it. And GISing 90s video game ads gets some immediate hits.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Road Rash took that style to the X-treme.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

A cousin got a baseball shaved into the back of his head. Then my uncle smacked him in the back of the head and shouted "Home run". The rest of us decided not to do it after that.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

There was someone in my year at school who got his hair styled like Keith Flint in the video for "Firestarter" after that single came out (1996).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

wesleywillis posted:

I had zig-zag speed lines on the side of my buzzcut. Was pretty sweet at little league.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Beastie posted:

If you didn't know, the lead singer is Bob Dylan's son.
When their first album came out and they started doing national tours, they had a clause in their contract that promoters/venues were never allowed to mention that.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

My Twitter Account posted:

When their first album came out and they started doing national tours, they had a clause in their contract that promoters/venues were never allowed to mention that.

That’s funny. Because I thought everyone (in 2020) already knew that because the media wouldn’t shut up about it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

mlnhd posted:

That’s funny. Because I thought everyone (in 2020) already knew that because the media wouldn’t shut up about it.

I only knew because of Celebrity Deathmatch, which is its own bit of 'most 90s thing you can find'.

Matches for the first episode, per Wikipedia:
1. Monica Lewinsky vs. Hillary Clinton
2. Mariah Carey vs. Jim Carrey (with Drew Carey making an appearance)
3. Tim Allen vs. Jerry Seinfeld

Scanning the rest of the episodes there are a few matches here and there between people who are still relevant (like Adam Sander vs. Chris Rock, surprisingly), but mostly its 90s as gently caress (David Hasselhoff vs. John Tesh?!).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My Twitter Account posted:

MTV mentioned it enough.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Cameo posted:

Milo from Descendents has a doctorate in molecular biology and pretty much all the albums and tours the band did from the mid-80s on up until 2016 when Milo finally went full-time with the band were done in breaks during his college, post-grad, and scientific career.

Wait, so Milo goes to College was autobiographical?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, so Milo goes to College was autobiographical?

Yep!

I mean, all the Descendents albums are pretty autobiographical, but that’s 100% the reference being made, as Milo had told the band just prior to recording it that, hey, he had gotten into UC San Diego and was... going to college. It was looked at as a goodbye album for him, the back of the LP reveals the whole thing is dedicated to Milo, signed by the rest of the band.

But Milo liked performing with the guys too much, since it was his high school buddies/idols, so every break, he came back home and did some shows, and in a way, the band just... never stopped, only paused for years at a time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

We've kinda sorta talked about this before, but in your city/ neighborhood, who was Marilyn Manson?

Where I come from he was "the kid" (never specified which one) from Mr Belvedere.

I think a couple other people on here mentioned that where they were from, he was either Eddie Haskell of Leave It To Beaver fame, or Paul from The Wonder Years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wesleywillis posted:

We've kinda sorta talked about this before, but in your city/ neighborhood, who was Marilyn Manson?

Where I come from he was "the kid" (never specified which one) from Mr Belvedere.

I think a couple other people on here mentioned that where they were from, he was either Eddie Haskell of Leave It To Beaver fame, or Paul from The Wonder Years.

Brian Warner :v:

I live in South Florida, so people who were old enough either saw him when he was first starting out or even saw him around Broward College. Later on those rumors, namely the Wonder Years one, came up, but rarely got traction cause him starting in the area made him pretty well known.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You CHEATER!!! :v:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm from Dallas and he was Paul from wonder years around here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I want to say "the weird Italian-American kid from Doogie Howser, M.D., that wanted to be a filmmaker" because that would have been hilarious, but no, Paul from The Wonder Years.

e: oh wow he was on an episode of The Cosby Mysteries

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm from Dallas and he was Paul from wonder years around here.

I was in Seattle, and he was Paul up there. Also he had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: nm, misunderstood

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

Also he had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

Yeah, I remember hearing that rumor a lot more than anything about his origin.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the rib-removal-dicksuck surgery!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I mean, if I could do it I would.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Iron Crowned posted:

I was in Seattle, and he was Paul up there. Also he had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

Yeah same here. We really were a united nation once.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah same here. We really were a united nation once.

It's funny that such a rumor was so widespread when the internet was so niche. I mean this was probably what '96 or '97?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I recall Bob Dylan dunking on his son's band in interviews, right before the wallflowers evaporated from the radio. Like flat out saying they're poo poo, with no artistic value.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I recall Bob Dylan dunking on his son's band in interviews, right before the wallflowers evaporated from the radio. Like flat out saying they're poo poo, with no artistic value.
I like the wallflowers. Some nerd on reddit did the work:

To Edna Gundersen, USA Today:
GUNDERSEN: Your son Jakob has been very much in the spotlight this year. Do you worry about him?
DYLAN: I'm proud of his accomplishments. He's still young, and he's come a long way in a short time. I worried about him when he started out. I just didn't want to see him get roughed up. This business can really throw you into deep water. He's had his ups and downs. What he does with the future remains to be seen, but he and his band have done rather well. In the contemporary music scene, they have got a voice to be heard.

To David Gates, Newsweek:
[Bob Dylan is] newly famous as the father of the Wallflowers' Jakob Dylan. "I know they've sold a ton of records,'' says Dylan, who's "superstitious" about discussing family members. "I keep hearing that they're playing arenas or whatever with the Counting the Crows group.'' Did he try to interest Jakob in old blues and hillbilly music? "Yeah, he's heard the records. He has different likes because he was born at a different time--but sure, if he wants to hear good old-timey records, they're easily available to him.'' Do we take it he'd rather not comment on the Wallflowers' music? He laughs, either at your discomfiture or his, and--honest to Pete--the phone rings. (He can't help it if he's lucky.)

To Robert Hilburn, Los Angeles Times:
HILBURN: Speaking of joy, what about Jakob's success with the Wallflowers?
DYLAN: It's sensational what has happened to the Wallflowers. It's like one in a million or something.
HILBURN: When you heard he was going to start a band, did you worry about that? Did you advise him at all?
DYLAN: It was inconsequential what I thought.
HILBURN: As a a father, though, were you worried about all he would have to go through, like the pain of being dropped by his label after the first album?
DYLAN: I was concerned after the label dropped him and they were still involved in trying to get another record deal, but he made it on his own. If anything, his name would have held him back. I think that held him back on his first record, to tell you the truth. I think that first record would have been accepted if he wasn't who he was.

They're from when they were popular, but sure he might've changed his tune after a few years.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

6th Avenue Heartache was a pretty dope song.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Road Rash took that style to the X-treme.

I loved all the Genesis games but had never seen the Sega CD version.

They made some graphics choices there, yes they did. Yet the gameplay had the exact same look as the Genesis games, particularly Road Rash 3. Must have spent all their time instead on the full-motion video sequences.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
3DO Road Rash was the best one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
We need to return to the era of the Big Shirt

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Heath posted:

We need to return to the era of the Big Shirt

Or maybe Big Dog Shirt?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Heath posted:

We need to return to the era of the Big Dog Shirt

FTFY

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'll have you know that certain regions of the USA with certain subsets of peoples, still very much live the big shirt life. Also, you can thank everything old being new again because GEN Z caught wind of 90s fashions and have brought back a few things. Big shirts baggy pants ect ect ect