Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

subpar anachronism posted:

Over the last year or so I have slowly permitted myself more succs as I don't kill them. I'm especially a fan of the translucent haworthia like your springbokvlakensis, but am less experienced with them - they don't appear to wrinkle much, so what are the best signs these guys are thirsty? Also that capitella :kimchi: gorgeous!

Much as you might expect from translucent plants, it's when all the nubblies are starting to get opaque (and often brown). Basically, the more and more they look like slightly tinted water balloons, the happier they are, but anything as clear or clearer than like "strawberry lemonade jellybean" is fine. You can also just squish them!

This post brought to you by: the pink cooperi baker I literally just repotted. Haworthias are the poo poo.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a plant ID please?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

terre packet posted:

Can I get a plant ID please?

Looks like it may be a thirsty Opuntia subulata (Eve's needle) but I could be wrong. Hard to say for sure without flowers.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

HELLO LADIES posted:

Much as you might expect from translucent plants, it's when all the nubblies are starting to get opaque (and often brown). Basically, the more and more they look like slightly tinted water balloons, the happier they are, but anything as clear or clearer than like "strawberry lemonade jellybean" is fine. You can also just squish them!

This post brought to you by: the pink cooperi baker I literally just repotted. Haworthias are the poo poo.

Haworthias are indeed the poo poo, I just brought home some new ones this week

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Just moved into a new house and I want to know what kind of trees we have. This is in Austin, TX:

First tree. It has berries of some sort:

Second tree, also has berries:

Third tree with berries. I think this is a cedar or juniper? I know around here people call these cedar and I seem to remember somebody saying they aren't actually cedar.

Curious if any of the berries are toxic to dogs and/or kids. Also, any general tips about taking care of these types of trees I should know. Thanks!

Oil of Paris posted:

Interesting idea on the privet, could be Ligustrum lucida, only one I could think of that could get to that height. Bark and growth habit (especially those skinny little limbs growing straight out of the main branch) look pretty spot on. If so that’s one Big rear end privet

Agreed on chinaberry, pending better pic

Third tree is Juniperus virginiana, also called Eastern red cedar which is where your name confusion comes from

The privet and the chinaberry fruits are toxic. However, they are also very gross to man and beast alike, and you’d have to eat a bunch to suffer any real impact. Both these trees are downright ubiquitous, and I have never heard of a dog going to town on either one. You’ll have more of a problem with the birds stripping the berries away before they can be enjoyed for their decorative appeal

The cedar berries are edible but also have a strong flavor/scent that usually deter children and dogs, but nbd if they ate them. Very pretty and mature specimens btw

So a while back I asked about the trees at our new house. It was pointed out the berries are toxic to dogs but taste bad and it takes a lot to be bad for them. Well they are dropping and we have a puppy and we think she has been eating them because she has had continuing bouts of diarrhea with no other discernible cause and I saw her go for some the other day. She seems fine besides the shits.

Anybody got suggestions here for something like this? I swept our backyard and picked up every one I could find but there are quite a few more to drop. Now that we think we nailed down what's going on we are going out with her to prevent her eating them but that's annoying and not ideal. Any tricks to keep a dog from eating berries on the ground? We'll probably look into having the tree removed before next year, but I haven't dealt with our HOA since we moved in so who knows if they'll pull the typical HOA BS.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Maybe give it a very vigorous shaking to try and get the rest of the berries to drop so you can clean them up? If that is indeed a ligustrum, it's definitely normally a shrub so there's a case to be made for you 'cutting it back' to basically the ground and letting it grow in fuller. Or least tell the HOA that if they get mad at you for cutting it down.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe give it a very vigorous shaking to try and get the rest of the berries to drop so you can clean them up? If that is indeed a ligustrum, it's definitely normally a shrub so there's a case to be made for you 'cutting it back' to basically the ground and letting it grow in fuller. Or least tell the HOA that if they get mad at you for cutting it down.

It's the berries from the 2nd tree she is eating which I believe was identified as the china berry. She left the berries from the first one alone and they dropped much earlier and are done now also.

Edit: After reading a bit more about chinaberries I am starting to think we may be wrong. It sounds like she should have been way worse off, if not dead, if she was eating the berries multiple times. Besides diarrhea she had no symptoms, so maybe it actually was something else? Either way that tree has to go as I have very young kids as well.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 5, 2020

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Help me make my idiot container children look healthy! Despite having a few years' experience with growing experimental plants at field sites and greenhouses, I only started gardening for personal enjoyment at the beginning of the rona. My lovely condo patio in slightly inland SD faces east and has a concrete wall.

I got this Clinopodium douglasii from a native plant nursery in May or June. I accept that it probably looks so bad because I've repotted it 80,000 times, which I now understand is bad for it (previous times were because I wanted to grow it as a hanging plant, the last time was to take it out of a huge 5gal where the soil was always soggy and put it into crummier and faster-draining soil). Right now I have it in a ~2gal and try not to water it too much. As you can see/imagine, it gets maaaybe 1-2 hours of sun a day. Can/should I prune off the dead part? Why isn't it a lush trailing vine, or at the very least has more than two sad branches? I don't want to prune the poo poo out of it and kill it entirely.......

This Pinus pinea, on the other hand, has no such excuse. It was a live Christmas tree that we kept on, and on, and eventually I took pity on it and repotted it into this much bigger vessel. Why does it look so raggedy-assed, exploding on the top and with all different branch length and shaping around the silhouette? Is it just imbalance of exposure to sun? I try to rotate it a quarter or half turn once every month or so. Can/should I prune off the bottom 1 or 2 sets of branches before winter rain so it starts looking more like a Christmas tree again?

e: I should also say that I'd equally love to have it in the more mature Italian stone pine silhouette (as seen below) eventually, if that's possible without having a bigger container.

snailshell fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 6, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Is anyone here successful in growing avocados in cool temperate climates? If so I have questions about growing avocados in cool temperate climates

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You may find this PDF about growing avocados in Japan to be useful.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey I’ve got a purple oxalis in an indoor pot that’s done great over the summer, but it’s got a bit big and bushy. Can I just cut that sucker back or will that kill it?

BTW the leaves are pretty delicious.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the fart question posted:

Hey I’ve got a purple oxalis in an indoor pot that’s done great over the summer, but it’s got a bit big and bushy. Can I just cut that sucker back or will that kill it?

Judging by the oxalis in my lawn, you can cut it back every week and it will never die

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

the fart question posted:

Purple oxalis is the first plant I ever kept alive long-term, and I can tell you: I moved into an apartment with terrible lighting, realized my potted oxalis was doing badly, put the dying potted oxalis underneath my bed for a full year, it turned into a pot of literally just dirt, and then once I moved somewhere with light and stuck it in a window and watered it again, it sprang back to life immediately and got bushy and huge. I have since divided it like five times and now I have SO MANY oxalis and they cannot die.

Basically, cut it back as much as you want, it will be just fine.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

You may find this PDF about growing avocados in Japan to be useful.

Thanks, though sadly can't access it, but thanks anyway. Pretty wild for me to learn about the htfg's existence though.

I guess the only question(s) I have is about feeding the things over summer and winter.

I used a fairly rough organic compost to grow the freshly rooted/sprouted seeds, and they seemed to love it, putting out a lot of healthy looking growth over summer.
I think they got burnt from the first winter chill, as the leaf-tips have died off a little.

But like do avocados need a special winter routine/feed as they sit sadly in the window looking at the snow?

I have no growing lights, but may consider them if people think they are a good idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RickRogers posted:

Thanks, though sadly can't access it, but thanks anyway. Pretty wild for me to learn about the htfg's existence though.

I guess the only question(s) I have is about feeding the things over summer and winter.

I used a fairly rough organic compost to grow the freshly rooted/sprouted seeds, and they seemed to love it, putting out a lot of healthy looking growth over summer.
I think they got burnt from the first winter chill, as the leaf-tips have died off a little.

But like do avocados need a special winter routine/feed as they sit sadly in the window looking at the snow?

I have no growing lights, but may consider them if people think they are a good idea.

Hmm it worked for me at the time of posting, but now it’s broken on my side, too. Here’s the same file on a document sharing service. It has a bunch of great information about growing a lot of quality fruit in a small space, as is necessary for the Japanese tropical fruit industry.

As to your question, dying leaf tips in avocado is a very common problem and it’s caused by salinity in the soil, which avocados are extremely sensitive to. Fertiliser can exacerbate this. Some formulations are worse than others, but the tree’s growth slows way down in the winter, so it’s not going to be hurting for fertiliser.

Last year one of my trees got leaf burn bad simply because I was not watering it enough. Conditions were very humid and I didn’t want to overwater it, but I ended up doing it harm by allowing salt to concentrate. Some plant pathogens can cause similar symptoms, but in this case it was all the fault of my watering regimen. I flushed the salt out with copious amounts of water one day and all was well.

Lots of plant appreciate supplemental lighting and subtropical trees grown in Germany are no exception, but it should be fine in south‐facing window. Immature avocado plants naturally grow in the forest understory. They’re accustomed to less light than most fruit‐bearing plants.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
:siren: YAPID!!! :siren:

...Yet another plant ID. This is the last mystery plant in my home. :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

terre packet posted:

:siren: YAPID!!! :siren:

...Yet another plant ID. This is the last mystery plant in my home. :)

that just a varietal of Crassula?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Yeah, it looks exactly like a baby version of my $8 Ikea jade, down to the reddish edging.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my two grafted ficus “ginseng” bonsai were ikea rescues. And one of my variegated aloe. And a bunch of small Euphorbia trigona

And I had an absolutely gorgeous calathea ornata that did what calatheas do and died slowly and miserably over ~3 years

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I had a calathea that slowly died! Things that it hated include: being watered regularly, being watered sporadically, a humid room, a drier room, indirect sunlight, direct sunlight, being fertilized, not being fertilized.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, is that what's happening to my calathea? Seems it's just calatheaing.

(It died back spectacularly to gross brown nothing, but has since put up one solitary leaf. Maybe there's hope for it yet. The voodoo-lily-looking hitchhiker in its container is doing better than the calathea.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, is that what's happening to my calathea? Seems it's just calatheaing.

(It died back spectacularly to gross brown nothing, but has since put up one solitary leaf. Maybe there's hope for it yet. The voodoo-lily-looking hitchhiker in its container is doing better than the calathea.)

Lol, good luck. Maybe do a bit of research, I hear they’re savable but it takes work.

Mine did that and held on for a year+ but it never regained vigor or put out more than like 2-3 lovely leaves before dying again

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I transplanted some rather overgrown pepper plants from my roommate's aerogarden into pots.When can I stop worrying about the shock from tearing up their root balls and moving from hydroponic to pots killing them? I cut them way back because I knew it'd be super hard on them, and after a few days they seem fine and have new growth, but I'm still paranoid.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Cowwan posted:

I transplanted some rather overgrown pepper plants from my roommate's aerogarden into pots.When can I stop worrying about the shock from tearing up their root balls and moving from hydroponic to pots killing them? I cut them way back because I knew it'd be super hard on them, and after a few days they seem fine and have new growth, but I'm still paranoid.

You have my permission to stop being paranoid about it. If the transplant shock was going to straight up kill them, you'd probably already know.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Wallet posted:

You have my permission to stop being paranoid about it. If the transplant shock was going to straight up kill them, you'd probably already know.

Cool, I figured that would be the case, but it's nice to have confirmation.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Any tricks/tips for cleaning up a hundreds of berries from my yard? We had the chinaberry tree removed, but that left the yard blanketed with berries. They are too small to rake up. Should I sweep them? I'm hoping somebody has some clever trick that I don't know about.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Birds will do it for you for free

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The best calathea is musaica and I'll fight about it. Most other calatheas are so dramatic but I think whatever makes the musaica's leaves glossy helps protect them and keep moisture in so they're less delicate. Also, they have the coolest pattern!

Does anyone else here do plants in leca? I've been slowly converting the majority of my stuff over the last few months and I'm pretty happy with it. Pros for me: it's a lot easier to clean up from carpet than dirt, it's reusable, I use clear containers so I have a good idea what the water level is with just a look, and I seem to have to water them much less often than plants in soil. Can anyone recommend a good liquid fert to go along with superthrive?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 13, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Birds will do it for you for free

There are not enough birds for this amount of berries lol. Our puppy wants to eat them so I can't wait anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

D-Pad posted:

There are not enough birds for this amount of berries lol. Our puppy wants to eat them so I can't wait anyway.

You got a leaf blower? I’d collect them as best I could into a little pile and then sweep them up or whatever.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Judging by the oxalis in my lawn, you can cut it back every week and it will never die

showbiz_liz posted:

Purple oxalis is the first plant I ever kept alive long-term, and I can tell you: I moved into an apartment with terrible lighting, realized my potted oxalis was doing badly, put the dying potted oxalis underneath my bed for a full year, it turned into a pot of literally just dirt, and then once I moved somewhere with light and stuck it in a window and watered it again, it sprang back to life immediately and got bushy and huge. I have since divided it like five times and now I have SO MANY oxalis and they cannot die.

Basically, cut it back as much as you want, it will be just fine.

thanks, I've just given it a rather severe haircut

the fart question fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
We still talking succ bonsai?

Here is my crassula my mother gave me, needs a little bit of love as the local possums have a munch every so often ,but litteraly 0 maintenance except for a weekly water with the rest of my plants

Gave it a little love because I had it out for a photo op

portulacaria afra also makes a nice succulent bonsai with a little work

Desert Rose is also a great succulent bonsai
quite slow though...

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Followup post with pictures of the extremely normal carolina reaper plants my roommate was growing in his aerogarden.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I solved my chinaberry problem with a shop-vac and child labor

Next question:

We bought this house this summer. The flipper had put down St. Augustine sod but failed to water it at all in between putting an offer in and closing in the middle of August in Texas. I tried to save it but every bit in the backyard died. As you can see it's just hard dirt.

Am I correct I need to wait until after winter to put sod down again? I would just seed it but apparently you can't do that with St. Augustine and I've read it's one of the better grasses for central Texas. Is there anything I should be doing now like fertilizing it or something to give it the best shot for next year? It's hard packed af should I break it up or aerate it or whatever now or before sod? It doesn't get a ton of sun.

I know next to nothing about this type of stuff. What's the best game plan here?

The front yard I managed to save a decent amount (still mostly dead though) and from what I read if I treat it right the St. Augustine should expand and give me a full yard in a year or so. What should I be doing their to give it the best shot?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Operation backyard choko vine going very well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I haven't forgotten about rebooting this thread-life just happened and I haven't gotten around to it, but hopefully that will happen soon (this week?). Oil of Paris has written a great new OP-get your effortposts ready and we will link them in a table of contents kind of thing!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

Haven’t had time to check the forums much lately but glad you got that China berry out, sucks that the puppy was so determined to eat those noxious berries. I guess nothing will stop a dog on a mission to eat something weird lol. Are you planning to replace it with anything or just leaving the space open?

Don’t have many recommendations for the lawn, the landscaping thread would probably be a better place to get that info. Now, if you want to turn some of that lawn into beds....

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Any grass masters here? My wife wants to replant the yard but I have no idea what type of grass we have. I can't find anything that looks like what we have online. Any ideas?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oldstench posted:

Any grass masters here? My wife wants to replant the yard but I have no idea what type of grass we have. I can't find anything that looks like what we have online. Any ideas?

Sadly I'm not a master at all, so I can't say what that is (ident is easier with a flower stalk though); could even be a wild grass that has settled in.
What I do know is you should have more than one type of grass in your lawn: basically when you sow or re-sow a lawn, say after scarification, you use a seed mix that is appropriate to your climate/soil/useage/whatever, and it generally has 3 complimentary grass type in it, to varying percentages.

Lawn care/greenkeeping is a huge topic and has its own separate qualifications to horticulture, and it will all vary depending on climate zone and "what my grandpa taught me", so wait and see if someone else knows what's what.

Probably should say what zone/area you are in though?

(Edit: I have a stupid camelia question coming up sometime, stay tuned!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Agreeing with needing zone or just genera area. We can't really tell by a picture but different varieties are more likely in warmer/wetter/colder/drier climates.

It's probably poa though. Poa is ubiquitous, especially if you don't have long winters, and if you're not doing much besides mowing then it'll eventually just crowd out whatever species was originally sowed there