Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Amazing twitter handle
Also according to that thread his 'doctorate' is from an unaccredited American christian diploma mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just read the most sycophantic Johnson love-in on Facebook. Over 4000 comments (didn't read them all) saying what a wonderful job he's doing and how he cares for us all and how wonderful he was at the cenotaph. People really believe that poo poo.

The only reason I saw it is because one of my nephews posted a scathing comment on there. I did write a multi-paragraph reply myself too but deleted it unposted for the sake of my blood pressure.

:xbone: where's the :vomit: icon when you need it?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

what's going on with Brexit these days?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I honestly didn't realise that UKIP was still a going concern. I thought they all either went with Farage or joined the EDL and associated fash.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Marmaduke! posted:

I get sick of seeing people post "number go up", but... number go up? Any number!

The Tory leadership is so steeped in neoliberal ideology that they'd rather begrudgingly implement half arsed indirect commercial 'stimulus' policies everyone knows are ineffective and contribute to transmission than acknowledge the glaringly obvious reality that this pandemic is a crisis point that requires strong leadership and decisive state intervention across the board. Of course this is perfectly on brand - better a thousand people needlessly choke and starve than one gets a penny they don't deserve. So talk a big game, implement a few incoherent, ineffective, and barely enforced lockdowns and economic policies, then blame the public when things blow up in your face.

I don't think they're really cargo culting here because I don't think there's ever been any expectation that any of this will work to any real extent. They're grifters through and through. The appearance of governance is necessary to preserve a facade of legitimacy, no more. There's no incompetence here - they're playing an entirely different game and they're playing it very well indeed. There's a certain irony here in that the image of the benefits cheat is often used as a vilified scapegoat where according to the governing ideology such a person should be celebrated (and is in the case of SERCO and all the rest) . And the truth is that's absolutely correct. Sunak et al couldn't give a poo poo about benefits cheats and might in some respects admire them. They only become anathema when they're caught, and only then as a result of a kind of necessary fetishistic disavowal to bridge the obvious gap between governing ideology in truth and governing ideology in perception. But that's when the class antagonism really comes into play - punish the working class for doing exactly what everything around them encourages they do at every turn.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I feel like the post-Thatcher conservative embrace of ideological neoliberalism is unprecedented in its purity, weirdly enough. It felt like a tool to beat the left, for Thatcher, but something always engaged with a healthy cynicism - she was happy, like Reagan, to mobilise state resources where it suited bourgeois class interests. This government though seems content to sacrifice its own core constituency in the name of the number, and that's where they do get weirdly cargo culty. Covid affects the poor and vulnerable more keenly, sure, but the total lack of a public health response infringes on the welfare of the elite too. While there are increasing numbers of students from non traditional backgrounds and working class backgrounds, universities are still relative centres of privilege - particularly your oxbridges and redbricks - and students have been resolutely hosed over wholesale. I cannot imagine this government managing ww2 without having panzers landing in Kent by 1942 as bojo and pals dithered over which of their completely unqualified pals to award the multi million pound aircraft manufacturing contract to, ending up with three cobbled together biplanes in a field in Cheshire. And I say this with full awareness of how poo poo the early 20th c tories also were. I just cannot picture the current party presiding over the necessary extent of state direction, let alone doing it even remotely competently.

I suppose the one positive to take from this is that this is an entirely unsustainable form of governance and the current leadership lack any of the political acumen of Thatcher, making it even moreso. The issue is how painful the transition to whatever comes after will be, and what exactly does come after. We're at a crossroads, and it's both very very exciting and extremely scary.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 12, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kustomkarkommando posted:

From what I've heard in chatter the CMOs briefing was enough to spook some of the MLAs in the DUP to worry that if they just let the regulations lapse entirely they would shoulder the entrity of the blame if tighter family gathering restrictions have to be brought in over Christmas, the Dodds proposal of "everything but the devil's buttermilk" being an attempt to find a mid way point between end the lockdown now and also we can't lose more votes to alliance poles in the party.

As a border dweller lifting our restrictions before Ireland leaves level 4 is real loving stupid, especially considering the chat down south is that it's gonna be level 3 all December with pubs closed so we're gonna be swamped with people looking for a pint

Point of correction. The Republic is in level 5 lockdown, not 4.

Also at the moment the total number of new cases per day in ROI for Covid is much less than NI's new cases per day.

Which has to be alarming for Northern Politicians about what will happen to their numbers if they re-open the country.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Does anyone remember if it was a chrome extension or redirect site to deny the Heil etc al revenue, and bring down the firewalls? I *was* reading a delightful salty piece by Big Nige.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I cannot imagine this government managing ww2 without having panzers landing in Kent by 1942 as bojo and pals dithered over which of their completely unqualified pals to award the multi million pound aircraft manufacturing contract to, ending up with three cobbled together biplanes in a field in Cheshire. And I say this with full awareness of how poo poo the early 20th c tories also were. I just cannot picture the current party presiding over the necessary extent of state direction, let alone doing it even remotely competently.
There were massive controversies at Castle Bromwich under Nuffield, but yeah, they were the manufacturing controversies that you always get with workers and engineers, rather than this lot who would grant the project to Expedient Aviation Ltd. which was registered three weeks ago by an MP's spouse and two property investors resident in Berlin, with expertise in insurance law and manufacturing tin baths, and the press would ignore it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

O fonts of all knowledge:

Does anyone have a link to a handy schedule of all the information relating to the management of a leasehold block we should collect? I could draw one up myself but might miss something and it might take forever, so if there's one I could use already done it would be a great help.

Before you send me to the wall, all the lessees (including me) in our block are also members of the management company which is also the freeholder.

I'm now chair and director of the management company and want to ensure that we have a full schedule of all relevant information!

(As an example: we need to get the electricity meters read for the common parts but no one knows who has the key to the relevant cupboard! We think it may be with someone who moved out into a care home and is selling up but no way of contacting him! - OK we could break the lock and get a new one but it's just one example.)

I'm particularly concerned as the Treasurer who manages the bank account and pays all the bills is into her 80s and has breast cancer which is not getting treated properly due to covid-19 and she doesn't have the info either. Most of the people who live here are equally old and almost none of them have internet and so on.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Tim Wetherspoon donates a lot of money to the Conservative Party

I was in a Wetherspoons a couple of weeks ago and saw that they're calling him 'Dishi Rishi' and it made me feel queasy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone have a link to a handy schedule of all the information relating to the management of a leasehold block we should collect? I could draw one up myself but might miss something and it might take forever, so if there's one I could use already done it would be a great help.

Before you send me to the wall, all the lessees (including me) in our block are also members of the management company which is also the freeholder.

I'm now chair and director of the management company and want to ensure that we have a full schedule of all relevant information!

(As an example: we need to get the electricity meters read for the common parts but no one knows who has the key to the relevant cupboard! We think it may be with someone who moved out into a care home and is selling up but no way of contacting him! - OK we could break the lock and get a new one but it's just one example.)

I'm particularly concerned as the Treasurer who manages the bank account and pays all the bills is into her 80s and has breast cancer which is not getting treated properly due to covid-19 and she doesn't have the info either. Most of the people who live here are equally old and almost none of them have internet and so on.

I'm sorry to be the one to point this out, but you have created such a rod for your own back here. You will become the one stop shop for every pathetic, niggling, childish problem until you wish you could shut off the air supply to each flat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So that's "carbon monoxide vents control" at number 1 on the list then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trickjaw posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to point this out, but you have created such a rod for your own back here. You will become the one stop shop for every pathetic, niggling, childish problem until you wish you could shut off the air supply to each flat.

Well it was either me do it or farm it out to a managing company at great extra monthly expense!
(I've done it before so I'm well aware and have stropped at a couple of people already saying I'm not here to sort out inter-flat disputes, just do stuff like get the common parts emergency lighting renewed, get someone in to clean out the gutters of the whole building etc.)

OwlFancier posted:

So that's "carbon monoxide vents control" at number 1 on the list then.

We're all electric :D

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Point of correction. The Republic is in level 5 lockdown, not 4.

Also at the moment the total number of new cases per day in ROI for Covid is much less than NI's new cases per day.

Which has to be alarming for Northern Politicians about what will happen to their numbers if they re-open the country.

All the DUP is concerned with right now is the impacts on businesses. It's horrendous.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I feel like the post-Thatcher conservative embrace of ideological neoliberalism is unprecedented in its purity, weirdly enough. It felt like a tool to beat the left, for Thatcher, but something always engaged with a healthy cynicism - she was happy, like Reagan, to mobilise state resources where it suited bourgeois class interests. This government though seems content to sacrifice its own core constituency in the name of the number, and that's where they do get weirdly cargo culty. Covid affects the poor and vulnerable more keenly, sure, but the total lack of a public health response infringes on the welfare of the elite too.

Yeah I think you're onto something here. Seems like the Tories used to be "gently caress the poor, but if you're middle to upper class we'll make sure you're alright" and it seems there's been a bit of a switch to "We will look after our donors and our close personal friends and anybody who will directly get in on the grift with us, but everybody else can get hosed". And somehow people are still loving eating it up? Pair anything with "You're being attacked by foreigners!" and you can get people from all backgrounds to buy in, I suppose.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I think you're onto something here. Seems like the Tories used to be "gently caress the poor, but if you're middle to upper class we'll make sure you're alright" and it seems there's been a bit of a switch to "We will look after our donors and our close personal friends and anybody who will directly get in on the grift with us, but everybody else can get hosed". And somehow people are still loving eating it up? Pair anything with "You're being attacked by foreigners!" and you can get people from all backgrounds to buy in, I suppose.

Nothing has changed. The Tories never cared about the middle class, they're just less subtle about it now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

what's going on with Brexit these days?
It's hosed. Everything's hosed. hosed, it all is. F U C K E D.

But apart from that...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Successful ruling classes create buffers between themselves and their enemies, usually either through patronage, paternalism or nationalism depending on the threat. Neoliberalism only really permits patronage which is why it's all incestuous court politics and stenography between their politicians and the media and open corruption between the politicians and their friends and business partners - that's how they hold the reins of power.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And all the rest

Lol I can't help in any way but, without wanting to appear condescending or whatever, I'm glad you are a poster here. It's a bit different you know?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I feel like I mention it every so often but there’s a good to decent chance that Brexit effectively cripples all
transport in one of the largest urban areas in the country. And this is known about but nothing has been done to mitigate it, bar building a car park for twenty trailers next to a ferry port.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nothing has changed. The Tories never cared about the middle class, they're just less subtle about it now.

Oh I don't think they ever actually *cared* about the middle class, but they used to make concessions to them. Now they're just openly pissing them off.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tory voters these days have been conditioned to the religion of Hard Choices, they'll look at all the people dying & think how brave & strong our gov't are for letting so many people die, because there's no way you'd make a choice that hard if it wasn't much better in the long run. Because of the economy, you see. The harder the choice, the better the outcome.

When the economy gets worse regardless, it's because we didn't kill enough people. & don't look at all those other countries that didn't let people die & their economies are better than ours, those people are foreign, I didn't see it so it doesn't count

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There was a certain breed of Tory MP that at least believed in obligation, and at least believed in investment even if it was only to make Britain strong.

They all died out sometime around when Labour became the main opposition to Conservatives and the worst part of the Liberals merged with the worst part of the Tories to make the FYGM party.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its some how even more daft than you might think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WouIzjgqo

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
What the loving gently caress is this new level of bullshit?

https://twitter.com/malihaeza/status/1326947520979857416?s=19

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

The Tory leadership is so steeped in neoliberal ideology that they'd rather begrudgingly implement half arsed indirect commercial 'stimulus' policies everyone knows are ineffective and contribute to transmission than acknowledge the glaringly obvious reality that this pandemic is a crisis point that requires strong leadership and decisive state intervention across the board. Of course this is perfectly on brand - better a thousand people needlessly choke and starve than one gets a penny they don't deserve. So talk a big game, implement a few incoherent, ineffective, and barely enforced lockdowns and economic policies, then blame the public when things blow up in your face.

I don't think they're really cargo culting here because I don't think there's ever been any expectation that any of this will work to any real extent. They're grifters through and through. The appearance of governance is necessary to preserve a facade of legitimacy, no more. There's no incompetence here - they're playing an entirely different game and they're playing it very well indeed. There's a certain irony here in that the image of the benefits cheat is often used as a vilified scapegoat where according to the governing ideology such a person should be celebrated (and is in the case of SERCO and all the rest) . And the truth is that's absolutely correct. Sunak et al couldn't give a poo poo about benefits cheats and might in some respects admire them. They only become anathema when they're caught, and only then as a result of a kind of necessary fetishistic disavowal to bridge the obvious gap between governing ideology in truth and governing ideology in perception. But that's when the class antagonism really comes into play - punish the working class for doing exactly what everything around them encourages they do at every turn.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I feel like the post-Thatcher conservative embrace of ideological neoliberalism is unprecedented in its purity, weirdly enough. It felt like a tool to beat the left, for Thatcher, but something always engaged with a healthy cynicism - she was happy, like Reagan, to mobilise state resources where it suited bourgeois class interests. This government though seems content to sacrifice its own core constituency in the name of the number, and that's where they do get weirdly cargo culty.

I think its the sort of progression you get in an organisation (particuarly one as hierarchical and packed full of a mix of dimwits and sociopaths like the Conservative Party) from the people who adopt an idea (the Thatcherites and neoliberalism), those that come afterwards who didn't do the thinking but agree with the ideas - often to a much greater extent than the first wave (Major and the 1990s-2000s Tories): See for instance the privatisation of the railways; the Thatcher governments may have hated BR and thought in an ideological/intellectual sense that railways, like almost everything else, should be private enterprises, but they were also astute enough to realise that there was no way of actually privatising them as they already existed without creating a hellishly complicated and inefficient system which would actually end up costing the government more than the nationalised network ever did. The Major government was packed with Thatcher cultists and neolibs who either just knew that it would be better if the railways were privately owned because Free Market or saw the scope for funelling £millions into the pockets of banks and bus companies that they had shares in. Now we're at the stage where the Conservative Party (and neoliberalism in general) hasn't had any intellectual rigour or challenge applied to it so it's just three generations of people cargo-culting ideas born in the aftermath of the 70s Energy Crisis.

Borrovan posted:

Tory voters these days have been conditioned to the religion of Hard Choices, they'll look at all the people dying & think how brave & strong our gov't are for letting so many people die, because there's no way you'd make a choice that hard if it wasn't much better in the long run. Because of the economy, you see. The harder the choice, the better the outcome.

This reminds me of something I read about how in the 1970s the Royal Navy decided that the central tenet of its training for new officers would be 'moral courage' - the ability to adhere to certain values and take the right course of action even if doing so was very difficult or even potentially deadly. What this led to after a few cohorts of newly-minted officers had entered the service was a leadership which, having been taught from Day 1 that the sign of a good leader was to display moral courage, kept taking the difficult, unpleasant or awkward course (mostly unpleasant an awkward for those they commanded, but in some cases promising young officers would make career-endingly tough decisions just to prove how morally couragous they were!) even when less arduous and painful alternatives would acheive the same - or even a better - result. So the RN dialled that back a bit and began teaching its future leaders that while leadership may require tough choices that doesn't meant that you always have to take the toughest option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That mindset may explain the recent spate of light naval patrol craft deciding to body check tankers and cruise liners and getting cut in half in the process.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wait the navy was teaching elan vital in the 70s?

lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sorry for the random USpol question, but it's fun to compare our terrible system with their terrible system...

I saw a tweet which I think said that Bernie and Warren shouldn't be in the new cabinet because "their" governor is Republican. So you give up being a senator to join the cabinet (makes sense), but then the governor chooses a new senator? Or did I completely misunderstand that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume they would have to have a new senatorial election (because senators serve six year terms and they elect a third of them every 2 years) but if their governors are republican perhaps they are saying they shouldn't risk an election until they have to because they might end up with more republican senators?

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

kustomkarkommando posted:

As a border dweller lifting our restrictions before Ireland leaves level 4 is real loving stupid, especially considering the chat down south is that it's gonna be level 3 all December with pubs closed so we're gonna be swamped with people looking for a pint

:bahgawd: Kung Flu only affects the taigs, why should we suffer, open 'er up
Half of Cork is in the Crown Bar, Armagh looks like New Vegas
:thunkin: We made an error

Total Meatlove posted:

I feel like I mention it every so often but there’s a good to decent chance that Brexit effectively cripples all
transport in one of the largest urban areas in the country. And this is known about but nothing has been done to mitigate it, bar building a car park for twenty trailers next to a ferry port.

Can you elaborate?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobstar posted:

Sorry for the random USpol question, but it's fun to compare our terrible system with their terrible system...

I saw a tweet which I think said that Bernie and Warren shouldn't be in the new cabinet because "their" governor is Republican. So you give up being a senator to join the cabinet (makes sense), but then the governor chooses a new senator? Or did I completely misunderstand that?

it depends on the state. some places would have a special election for the senate seat which might remain vacant until then, some would have the governor appoint a person to fill out the rest of the term, some are a mix of the two (like the governor appoints someone until the next election in two years).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Red Oktober posted:

Jacob Rees-Boggs?

Jacob Pees-Boggs, cmon man!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I think it depends on the state and depends how long they have left in their term.

Looks like in Vermont and Massachusetts, the special election to replace them would have to be within a certain amount of time (6 months in Vermont) and the governor can appoint a temporary senator in the meantime. So the governor would obviously hold the election at the last possible minute and install a republican in the meantime.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nutapii posted:

:bahgawd: Kung Flu only affects the taigs, why should we suffer, open 'er up
Half of Cork is in the Crown Bar, Armagh looks like New Vegas
:thunkin: We made an error

Can you elaborate?

Portsmouth and Southampton form one continuous urban area with minor satellite towns between them, that covers a population of about 1m people.

The motorway (M27) is currently being upgraded to become a smart motorway along its length, but is nominally 3 lanes. It joins the M3 to London at the Southampton end, and the A3 to London at the Portsmouth end.

Portsmouth is mainly situated on Portsea Island, and there are three road bridges that lead onto it. Southampton is on the mainland proper. Both have commercial ports, Portsmouth also has the main naval port for the UK. Southampton is the 2nd or 3rd biggest commercially and Portsmouths is smaller.

The risks are that;

quote:

Traffic disruption arising from delays at the Port of Portsmouth and extending along the strategic road network

 The Local Resilience Forum (LRF) has identified traffic disruption linked to delays at the Port of Portsmouth as a high risk. This is on the basis that, like the Port of Dover, it is a roll-on roll-off port. HGV exports from Portsmouth could be delayed because of additional checks required if the UK is treated as a ‘third country’ in the case of a no-deal. In combination with potential delays in ferry turnaround at EU ports causing delays to scheduled departures, this could lead to severe congestion. In addition, HGVs may opt to use Portsmouth due to the expected severe disruption at the Port of Dover, further compounding any congestion problems.
 It is possible that traffic for the Port of Portsmouth could be seen queuing along the M275, and onto the M27 if significant disruption is experienced, affecting critical routes for the city of Southampton.
Mitigation
 Portsmouth City Council is working closely with the Local Resilience Forum to identify locations that can be used as holding areas for HGVs waiting to enter the Port.
 In line with the Port of Dover’s planning assumptions, the LRF is aiming to identify contingency holding areas capable of accommodating up to one-days’ worth of port freight transport (currently 500 lorries a day), but uncertainties regarding the scale of additional traffic that may attempt to use Portsmouth, options to accommodate up to 1000 lorries a day are being sought.
 It is not currently seen as necessary to identify a stacking site further west around Southampton due to the distance from Portsmouth Port and lower risk to disruption at the Port of Southampton as it does not operate as a roll on- roll off port.
 The position of the Department for Transport (which is responsible for ports and strategic roads) is that there is no risk to the Port of Portsmouth and that there will be no closure of motorways, or use of motorways for HGV stacking, outside Kent.
 Guidance from the Cabinet Office (which is responsible for UK emergency planning) to LRFs is to consider and mitigate risks at roll-on roll-off ports like Portsmouth, which could experience disruption in the reasonable worst case scenario of the UK leaving the EU without a deal

Any delays at Portsmouth in terms of freight traffic will inevitably kill the throughput on one of the bridges, increasing congestion on the other two. Portsea island has a population of 200k, who would be reliant on three lanes on and off it. The main accident and emergency for Portsmouth is off the island on the mainland.

It will be a shitshow.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

(not a photoshop afaik)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Women are routinely exhorted to self-check their 'girls' to identify breast cancer early on.
Well, men, check your 'boys'. A family friend aged just 40 has just been diagnosed with testicular cancer so don't delay, check your nuts today.

https://baggytrousersuk.org/check-your-nuts/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

100 years ago the Tories were still close enough to the nobility that they had a sense of noblesse oblige, and some of the more progressive ones would even take a view that a rising tide lifts all boats. Apart from that you're basically correct.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

loving hell the chocolate/chili fudge is a menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I feel like the post-Thatcher conservative embrace of ideological neoliberalism is unprecedented in its purity, weirdly enough. It felt like a tool to beat the left, for Thatcher, but something always engaged with a healthy cynicism - she was happy, like Reagan, to mobilise state resources where it suited bourgeois class interests. This government though seems content to sacrifice its own core constituency in the name of the number, and that's where they do get weirdly cargo culty. Covid affects the poor and vulnerable more keenly, sure, but the total lack of a public health response infringes on the welfare of the elite too. While there are increasing numbers of students from non traditional backgrounds and working class backgrounds, universities are still relative centres of privilege - particularly your oxbridges and redbricks - and students have been resolutely hosed over wholesale. I cannot imagine this government managing ww2 without having panzers landing in Kent by 1942 as bojo and pals dithered over which of their completely unqualified pals to award the multi million pound aircraft manufacturing contract to, ending up with three cobbled together biplanes in a field in Cheshire. And I say this with full awareness of how poo poo the early 20th c tories also were. I just cannot picture the current party presiding over the necessary extent of state direction, let alone doing it even remotely competently.

I suppose the one positive to take from this is that this is an entirely unsustainable form of governance and the current leadership lack any of the political acumen of Thatcher, making it even moreso. The issue is how painful the transition to whatever comes after will be, and what exactly does come after. We're at a crossroads, and it's both very very exciting and extremely scary.

the Tories as the 'natural party of government' has two relatively recently headwinds that the party did not face until very recently:

- internal party selections aggravating internal party dysfunction (partially to keep up with New Labour, partially to empower a sense of disconnection with the party amongst its natural Middle England base - in that regard, the populist turn of the party is arguably working as intended)
- Labour successfully annexing the educated, employed class to an astonishing degree completely unprecedented in pre-1997 Britain

This arguably goes some way to explaining its unresponsiveness to media chatter (or conversely its inability to make its "internal view" felt - but otherwise the policy outlooks themselves are... not actually very novel? This is not Thatcher and Howe in 1981 waving the ideological banner of monetarism at the open protest of establishment opinion*. The signature political mishap of Cameron - the use of referenda to ratify an elite consensus - was in vogue all over the world and it wasn't even his first swing at the apple. Or of May - the dementia tax and the bedroom tax were both latent planks bubbling in that think-tank consensus way and little work was done to test its reception, exactly because wonks did not think it was all that fatal. Shelter England spent many years calling for a tax on spare rooms to promote rightsizing.

Johnson is pulling leafs out of pre-existing books, too, rather than bringing purified ideology to the table. But the party is unable to keep establishment wisdom in sync. It is no longer looped into all the halls of opinion, not as it used to be...

for covid-19 one can consider it in international perspective - there are several countries where public health authorities have engaged in a quiet revolution to entrench the counterintuitive view that the winter influenza outbreaks are going to kill a massive wave of people every now and then, it's essentially unstoppable, and policy should reorient to be palliative rather than overreacting in a phenomenally costly way. The model pandemic is influenza, not the far more damaging covid-19

Conversely there are several countries where the model pandemic is SARS or MERS, both of which are even more horrifyingly deadly than covid-19, and these countries have not blinked at measures that Europe would not countenance - building-to-building lockdowns and mass surveillance

* Johnson's admin does have its own ideological project - Brexit - albeit its utter absence amongst elite institutions means that it continually struggles to articulate what it actually wants and what it'll do to get there.