Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

Is the reason in Goldeneye that women are starting to talk back to him?

Pretty much - although the thesis of Goldeneye is that Bond can exist as part of the multiculture and doesn’t actually need to change much or at all. Half the story arc in the film is that the various ‘feminist’ characters come to understand Bond as more nuanced than he appears. The consistent theme is that every analysis of Bond is incomplete, falls short in some way.

That’s exemplified by the scene with the psychotherapist in the car, where she does some classical Freudian analysis (which, itself, was outdated in the 90’s) - but Bond is acting much stranger than she anticipates. Trevelyan says Bond is an alcoholic because he must feel overwhelming guilt over all the death he’s caused - but Bond doesn’t appear particularly guilty at all. Trevelyan’s point is, after all, that such an analysis is facile. Natalia gets much closer to the truth when she says Bond acts as he does because it’s how he believes he’s supposed to act. Like, he’s going through the motions because it’s expected of him.

It’s a subtle thing but, in the end, it’s the difference between Bond having a bunch of casual sex because he sees no alternative (“it’s what keeps me alive”), to his deciding that, no, he likes casual sex and is simply not interested in pursuing a long-term relationship.

Of course, skipping ahead another decade or two with Skyfall, even that choice to ‘be Bond, because I want to be Bond’ reaches its limits.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It’s notable how Natalya is the one who actually saves the world by hacking the goldeneye satellite, and all Bond does is indiscriminately lob a bomb to create noise and chaos, and then literally “throw a spanner in the works” of the cradle machinery.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Matinee posted:

It’s notable how Natalya is the one who actually saves the world by hacking the goldeneye satellite, and all Bond does is indiscriminately lob a bomb to create noise and chaos, and then literally “throw a spanner in the works” of the cradle machinery.

I think Bond's greatest feat in that movie is keeping up with Boris' pen clicks to know if/when it was going to explode.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Matinee posted:

Lobok posted:

I think Bond's greatest feat in that movie is keeping up with Boris' pen clicks to know if/when it was going to explode.

This is why Brosnan's Bond is my favorite iteration of the character - he inadvertently plays Bond as quite dumb, and it's such a change of pace from the earlier ones that it's super refreshing. My reading is that he'd so much rather be a blunt object breaking things than be an actual spy. In GoldenEye, he's utterly confused by every computer he sees, so he lets Natalya figure that out while he destroys the floor with a laser.

Tomorrow Never Dies escalates this even further. Immediately upon meeting Jonathan Pryce, his cover's so bad that Ricky Jay sees through it immediately, with Bond making no effort to disguise himself in conversation. He takes just a little too long to realize Pryce's plan, and he doesn't seem to ever realize that he put Paris in fatal danger until it's too late. Michelle Yeoh easily outsmarts him with a regular pair of handcuffs, and the most complicated thing he does is use a cell phone.

Brosnan is so handsome that I give him a pass for all of this. Honestly, you gotta give him props.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Immediately upon meeting Jonathan Pryce, his cover's so bad that Ricky Jay sees through it immediately, with Bond making no effort to disguise himself in conversation.
Brosnan is so handsome that I give him a pass for all of this. Honestly, you gotta give him props.

Does Bond ever make an effort to disguise himself? He usually introduces himself with his real name at every opportunity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brosnan is the best Bond in the worst movies. He’s constantly great in them. Such a shame. Oh well. At least he’s looked on fondly, and he was technically my James Bond growing up.

I just prefer Craig who’s my favorite.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Does Bond ever make an effort to disguise himself? He usually introduces himself with his real name at every opportunity.

This is a hugely important part of the character to me! It's fine for him to wear glasses as a disguise or say that his job is something other than gentleman superspy, but he should always say his name is Bond James Bond. It's only in a handful of the movies but I still hate it when he goes under a different name!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Lobok posted:

I think Bond's greatest feat in that movie is not getting murdered by xenia insane sexual energy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

One of my favorite scenes from A View To A Kill is when Zorin executes a simple background check on Bond as they're chatting in his office. Within the space of a few minutes, Zorin knows everything he needs to know about Bond: who employs him, his license to kill, etc. Bond never even realizes it's happening. If 'James Bond' is a code name, it's a completely ineffective one.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Every other movie seems to go back and forth between James Bond being known as a spy and not

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One of my favorite scenes from A View To A Kill is when Zorin executes a simple background check on Bond as they're chatting in his office. Within the space of a few minutes, Zorin knows everything he needs to know about Bond: who employs him, his license to kill, etc. Bond never even realizes it's happening. If 'James Bond' is a code name, it's a completely ineffective one.

Excuse me, that was clearly St. John Smythe. James St. John Smythe.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I finally watched the Daltons again for the first time in 1-2 decades after reading you guys rave about them. I thought I was going to be bored with License to Kill when it started off as a prototypical 80's Miami anti-narcotics action flick, but it was an absolute joy once Bond started gaming Sanchez. He really played the faux killer-for-hire role well with his stillness and ruthless-looking smirk. I think this is the only Bond movie I've ever seen where I was actually in suspense about what would happen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Andorra posted:

Every other movie seems to go back and forth between James Bond being known as a spy and not

Excuse me, that was clearly St. John Smythe. James St. John Smythe.

That was the alias I was gonna post. Moore was so ridiculous in that.

Im gonna go with Peter Franks, or Sir Hilary Bray then.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I finally watched the Daltons again for the first time in 1-2 decades after reading you guys rave about them. I thought I was going to be bored with License to Kill when it started off as a prototypical 80's Miami anti-narcotics action flick, but it was an absolute joy once Bond started gaming Sanchez. He really played the faux killer-for-hire role well with his stillness and ruthless-looking smirk. I think this is the only Bond movie I've ever seen where I was actually in suspense about what would happen.

It's also a pretty much direct sequel to OHMSS; he took it super personally because Felix capturing the villain he was chasing for a long time, and said villain escaping and killing his wife mirrored what happened to James and his wife - thus him flipping out and going for an extended revenge on Sanchez.

Benecio was also one of the best Bond henchmen since he's so drat creepy in it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Isn't there a scene later where even the San Francisco Fire Department knows who James Bond is?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cacator posted:

Isn't there a scene later where even the San Francisco Fire Department knows who James Bond is?

I think Bond reveals that he works for the British Secret Service when it looks like he's going to be arrested for arson, but it's been a while since I've watched that movie.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Basebf555 posted:

The lyrics just kinda don't make much sense because the word Thunderball is meaningless. He strikes.....like Thunderball? What does that even mean?

Just like the Moonraker knows his dream will come true some day.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
goldeneye is top 10 as song

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

goldeneye is top 10 as song

Thats nostalgia, as Xers and Boomers didn't even really like that song, and Mills are the ones that claim it. Thats not anywhere near the best Tina Turner song she did for a movie, which is also another negative for it. The top bond songs in no order.

Goldfinger (due to setting the trend)
If You Ask Me To (Pattis version is waaaay better than Celine Dions super hit cover)
For Your Eyes Only
A View to a Kill
Live and Let Die
All the Time in the World
Tomorrow Never Dies actual song at the end
You Know My Name
Diamonds are Forever

People often forget the end songs, so stuff like If You Ask me To gets completely forgotten.

Darko fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 13, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Top 12 Correct Song Order tm:
Dr. No
Live and Let Die
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
GoldenEye
From Russia with Love
You Only Live Twice
Goldfinger
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Licence to Kill
For Your Eyes Only
The Spy Who Loved Me

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zeta Acosta posted:

Dr. No
Live and Let Die
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
GoldenEye
From Russia with Love
You Only Live Twice
Goldfinger
A View to a Kill
The Living Daylights
Licence to Kill
For Your Eyes Only
The Spy Who Loved Me

Throw You Know My Name in there and this is on point

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Skyfall has gotten a bad rap since it came out but the song is still solid. The two that followed both tried to capture the same success and both have failed (unless you don't count winning an Oscar as a failure, lol).

But A View to a Kill is the GOAT

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If we held it to openings, I'd definitely have Licence to Kill and Skyfall up there.

Its just that sneaky end songs like If You Ask Me To (which spawned the most popular song associated with Bond with Celines much weaker cover), All The Time in the World from OHMSS, etc. throw a wrench into things.

Zeta Acosta posted:

Dr. No

Underneath the Mango Tree?

Darko fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 13, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Bond theme
Bond singing was great.
Connery is the best

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The best Bond song is the one about Christmas trees from OHMSS

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't care for License to Kill, but I freaking love Living Daylights. The song is a hit and the movie is just a solid flick that doesn't try to do anything other than being a Bond movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
TIL the original Bond song came from the song 'Bad Sign, Good Sign' about an Indian sneezing.

Probably already posted here but still.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

One thing I like about the Living Daylights is the fact that it actually uses the Cold War setting for it's plot. Most of the films try to avoid real world politics, so it's nice to see a film that opens with a Berlin Wall defection, deals with the Soviet "Death to Spies" program, the war in Afghanistan, etc.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mantis42 posted:

One thing I like about the Living Daylights is the fact that it actually uses the Cold War setting for it's plot. Most of the films try to avoid real world politics, so it's nice to see a film that opens with a Berlin Wall defection, deals with the Soviet "Death to Spies" program, the war in Afghanistan, etc.

Most definitely. The border crossing problem in From Russia With Love also scratches the same itch for me.

e: Our household's intermittent Bond marathon has just watched Die Another Day (after stalling for a few weeks 'cos it stinks). Of all the bad decisions in that entry, goddamn them for what they did to Moneypenny's character. Ugh.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 13, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I just watched For Your Eyes Only again last night, it's maybe because Connery just died but Amazon Prime put a bunch of new Bond movies up for free streaming. God drat that movie holds up. I wish it had a bit more comedy since I like that part of Moore's Bond but it's some of the best action of his tenure. I wonder if "Kristatos is actually the bad guy" was a real twist for audiences at the time seeing it for the first time or not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gohuskies posted:

I just watched For Your Eyes Only again last night, it's maybe because Connery just died but Amazon Prime put a bunch of new Bond movies up for free streaming. God drat that movie holds up. I wish it had a bit more comedy since I like that part of Moore's Bond but it's some of the best action of his tenure. I wonder if "Kristatos is actually the bad guy" was a real twist for audiences at the time seeing it for the first time or not.

I think they'd have had better luck if they didn't cast Topol in the part. He's not exactly a villainous-seeming person.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

gohuskies posted:

I didn't like FYEO seeing it for the first time as a dumbass kid because it was the antithesis of Spy/Moonraker (ie, "boring"), but now it's one of my favourites. (Moore hated the cold-blooded scene where he punts Locque off the cliff, but in retrospect it's one of his best moments as Bond.) And yes, the twist was a surprise, as far as I remember. Casting Donald Julian :v: Glover and Topol makes it obvious who the real bad guy is now, but back then I didn't know who they were.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 15, 2020

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

thunderball is bottom tier song, i really dislike that song for some reason

They should have gone with Johnny Cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx-x-sGk9oI

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQr3EU4EJpw new bond game by IO Interactive

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

There's only been like 2 good Bond games, but IO gives me hope. Just take Hitman 3 and replace 47 with Bond and you're set.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The big cool telescope from Goldeneye is getting retired.

https://twitter.com/NSF/status/1329462672627277829

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Time to turn it into a giant bowl for a kickass skatepark.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Or paintball matches atop its catwalks

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I started watching some Bond films since this weekend since they're up on streaming now. I caught up on the Brosnan ones a few months ago so I started with From Russia With Love since the only old ones I'd seen were Dr. No and Goldfinches both of which I liked; also skipped the Lazenby but I'll get to it eventually. Some scattered thoughts since finishing Golden Gun earlier:

• I liked You Only Live Twice more than Thunderball because the direction seemed more dynamic if that makes sense. Love the aerial shot of Bond being chased by henchmen on a rooftop
  • Live and Let Die was a disappointing theme after Diamonds Are Forever
  • Golden Gun's theme was even more disappointing and I wish they used the Alice Cooper version for the opening
  • Roger Moores Bond seems way more focused on getting laid than Connerys; not a good or bad thing just noticeable
  • The slide whistle for the corkscrew stunt in Golden Gun took away from how cool it was
  • Was JW Pepper a hit with audience when he was first introduced? His scenes in Golden Gun were...strange
  • Live and let die was a weird one but I enjoyed watching Yaphet Kotto chew scenery

Going to watch Moonraker later on which I've heard people have mixed feelings about.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Might have to watch Goldeneye in memoriam for the Aricebo telescope. drat you, Sean Bean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So I'm going over the first 22 Bond movies currently running on YouTube in order, several of which I haven't seen or seen so long ago I may as well not have.

This is definitely my first time on You Only Live Twice. Dear lord is this is a horrendous mess. The pacing is awful, the plot makes no sense, and it somehow has too many characters. The Japan stuff is end-to-end what in the gently caress territory.

It's wild that Bond is even more off-putting and unlikeable in this than the previous movie, in which he just outright rapes a nurse until she loves him.