Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh no won't someone think of the "media preservation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the tl;dr is that if you cold boot your console while offline (e.g. bring it somewhere without internet to play) no disc games will work.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wonder if he tried setting it as his home console.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Anyone that ordered from Microsoft on 11/10 heard anything yet? still nothing over here

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Wonder if he tried setting it as his home console.

His account acknowledging he owns a license for the physical disc in the drive?

And yes it was activated as the home console according to his thread.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 12, 2020

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

So basically they have snuck all the always online DRM they initially proposed for the xbone launch back in 2013 into their console and just not mentioned it this time, and hoped people wouldn't notice?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

So basically they have snuck all the always online DRM they initially proposed for the xbone launch back in 2013 into their console and just not mentioned it this time, and hoped people wouldn't notice?

https://twitter.com/Voxelsaurus_Vex/status/1326649108187131904?s=20

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The issue is a cold boot offline stops this working. Apparently. So for an actual use case of taking your console somewhere to play without internet, you can't.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Goddamn so every time your Xbox loses power it has to reconnect to the internet before any games work? Holy poo poo!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently support told him it was an error in the firmware so it might not be intentional. Maybe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Goddamn so every time your Xbox loses power it has to reconnect to the internet before any games work? Holy poo poo!

If what’s being reported is true, at least disc games. Maybe digital games you outright own are ok if your console is activated as home console. Not sure about gamepass/XBLG games if they have a buffer the way ps+ and psnow games do.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

If what’s being reported is true, at least disc games. Maybe digital games you outright own are ok if your console is activated as home console. Not sure about gamepass/XBLG games if they have a buffer the way ps+ and psnow games do.

Yeah, I'll be shocked if this is the same with digital on home console. I'll test this when I can to verify.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

hatty posted:

Anyone that ordered from Microsoft on 11/10 heard anything yet? still nothing over here

Still nothing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is anyone other than that twitter man saying this for sure? he also posted this so I'm not sure if he's totally unbiased

https://twitter.com/Morfid_plays/status/1323733594041450497?s=20

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

univbee posted:

If anything it’s even dumber if it’s only disk games doing this

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

hatty posted:

Is anyone other than that twitter man saying this for sure? he also posted this so I'm not sure if he's totally unbiased

It's not unsurprising that somebody who cares about media preservation isn't a fan of gamepass.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

hatty posted:

Found univbees Twitter

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait if you do an install off a disc, don't you need the disc in still? I'm all for archival preservation, but barring something like Judgement, why not use a digital version (doesn't mean you can't keep the original)? Lord knows I'm never playing Falcon 4.0 or Janes games anytime soon by I've never tossing those manuals.

https://twitter.com/Morfid_plays/status/1326933265849196546?s=20
:lol: telecoms could so easily pay this guy to defend and justify data limits in the name of the environment.

gently caress THE WHALES! 1TB EACH DAY EVERYDAY!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 12, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a certain subset of internet weirdo who love to fantasize about a world without access to the internet and how your technological devices would perform in this world. They get really mad when you can't just take something directly out of the box and instead have to connect it to the internet in order to be able to use it. (Read: basically every piece of technology released in the last 10 years)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A world with limited internet access is way more common that you give it credit for, especially if you travel. It also means you're screwed for disc games if XBL has an outage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

There's a certain subset of internet weirdo who love to fantasize about a world without access to the internet and how your technological devices would perform in this world. They get really mad when you can't just take something directly out of the box and instead have to connect it to the internet in order to be able to use it. (Read: basically every piece of technology released in the last 10 years)

I kind of want to shitpost on twitter to him, and suggest, he should upgrade his internet connection. But alas the shitposting boat sailed when I got out of my 20s. :lol:

univbee posted:

A world with limited internet access is way more common that you give it credit for, especially if you travel. It also means you're screwed for disc games if XBL has an outage.

I also want to say that this guy strikes me as a person who has every system and could just use them.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 12, 2020

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

While the dude may be a poo poo Lord, it's stupid as hell that disc games need the internet to run.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So wait if you do an install off a disc, don't you need the disc in still? I'm all for archival preservation, but barring something like Judgement, why not use a digital version (doesn't mean you can't keep the original)? Lord knows I'm never playing Falcon 4.0 or Janes games anytime soon by I've never tossing those manuals.

https://twitter.com/Morfid_plays/status/1326933265849196546?s=20
:lol: telecoms could so easily pay this guy to defend and justify data limits in the name of the environment.

gently caress THE WHALES! 1TB EACH DAY EVERYDAY!

It's a good thing an abundance of plastic in the world isn't bad for the environment. Long live disc games!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Jon Doyle would definitely blow vape smoke into his Xbox and make a video if he actually owned one

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RodShaft posted:

While the dude may be a poo poo Lord, it's stupid as hell that disc games need the internet to run.
Welcome to the future old man.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It does rub some people the wrong way in that, in the sense of non-multiplayer games, the disc is supposed to be a "guarantee" of sorts, where you know with full certainty that it will work when you put the disc in the drive no matter what's going on with XBL or PSN or whatever. People are already pretty livid about Blu-ray discs that attempt to impose an internet connection, and in some configurations will refuse to play if it can't grab what it's expecting from the internet.

At least if this is a legitimate fuckup on Microsoft's end, it should be fixable at least as far as XB1 games go (since they work straight-up in a One, One S or One X). Series X games don't seem to have the actual game code on the disc, though, from what I'm reading all disc games are just XB1 games which full download the Series X version when put into a Series X console.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s mega lovely that your games will inevitably stop working when the auto server goes away and it’s ULTRA mega lovely that this applies to games you even bought on disk.

It’s not dumb or crazy to think this, and it’s a real horrible shame that there are games that will never see the light of day again because of this. As many good things modern digital distribution as brought, this is inarguably a very bad thing.

Just imagine for a moment if you had a bluray and it just stopped working because Disney switched that server off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s mega lovely that your games will inevitably stop working when the auto server goes away and it’s ULTRA mega lovely that this applies to games you even bought on disk.

It’s not dumb or crazy to think this, and it’s a real horrible shame that there are games that will never see the light of day again because of this. As many good things modern digital distribution as brought, this is inarguably a very bad thing.

Just imagine for a moment if you had a bluray and it just stopped working because Disney switched that server off.

Thanks to modern technology, that happens: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/20/21297854/samsung-blu-ray-problems-ssl-firmware

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That’s pretty hilarious but it’s nowhere near as bad as “not only does this movie I bought no longer function, but neither does every single copy on the planet and nobody has any intention of reprinting it”

And yes I realize piracy exists but that’s not something anyone should have to resort to when they paid for a legal copy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I haven't really seen the benefits of Quick Resume so far. I've only played Valhalla and Skate 3 (since seeing somebody play the THPS remake recently got me feeling the itch for that again) on my Series S so far, and 3/4 times I flip back to Skate, it's a cold start. This is supposed to work with up to ~6 games?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Why does MS keep advertising game pass as having 100 games on it when there are now 348 games on game pass?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

404notfound posted:

I haven't really seen the benefits of Quick Resume so far. I've only played Valhalla and Skate 3 (since seeing somebody play the THPS remake recently got me feeling the itch for that again) on my Series S so far, and 3/4 times I flip back to Skate, it's a cold start. This is supposed to work with up to ~6 games?

They found a bug with some games and they've turned it off on some titles. I thought it was mostly Series X|S Enhanced games, though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tsietisin posted:

Why does MS keep advertising game pass as having 100 games on it when there are now 348 games on game pass?
Pretty sure it's always just been "100+".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

univbee posted:

the tl;dr is that if you cold boot your console while offline (e.g. bring it somewhere without internet to play) no disc games will work.

It's 2020.

Even if a little kid somehow was in possession of a bran new series X and was allowed to take it to his buddies place for a sleep over, his buddy is going to have internet.

There are few if any places you would bother taking a non-portable game console that do not have access to internet. Even then, everyone has a god drat phone with hot spot (except Americans who have to pay for that feature because phone companies hate you)

This whole argument was dumb as gently caress in 2013 and it is still loving stupid.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tsietisin posted:

100 is the highest number I can count to.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

404notfound posted:

Last night I moved between Tetris, Halo 5, RDR2, Grim Fandango, and Halo MCC and it always used Quick Resume, I think.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
After spending a couple of hours with the SX and PS5, it's like Sony hired the design team of the original Xbone hardware and UI team and said make our PS5 thanks!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

404notfound posted:

It doesn't work with some games. Fortnite doesn't seem to take advantage of Quick Resume, for example. Outside of that, it seems to be slightly variable depending maybe on how big the game save states are? There are some videos of people pushing the limits and hitting like 12. But I think the lower bounds are like 3 games.

It is a great feature. But one thing that would make it better is having more direct control over it. Like, if my son loads up a bunch of different games because he is bored, it could potentially push things that I play regularly out of my quick resume list, from what I can tell so far. It would be great if I could flag certain games to stay in quick resume/not get rolled out of it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I

Gutcruncher posted:

That’s pretty hilarious but it’s nowhere near as bad as “not only does this movie I bought no longer function, but neither does every single copy on the planet and nobody has any intention of reprinting it”

And yes I realize piracy exists but that’s not something anyone should have to resort to when they paid for a legal copy.

I get the theoretical concern but I've had to activate poo poo on my switch by using my phone as a Hotspot because the switch couldn't deal with motel wifi, and ultimately it's a problem for preservation that game pass or digital licenses have little effect on, because it all really comes down to copyright laws. The desire for (and sometimes fetishism of) ownership is largely a symptom of unnecessary scarcity, particularly for an art form where content "goes bad" quickly due to technology shifts and ridiculous copyright lengths.

Any game made prior to at least 2000 should be public domain. Games from back then are largely valueless except to specific niche interests and the market that preys on that niche. Preservation is almost totally meaningless when it's locked in private collections or behind a legal barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laserface posted:

It's 2020.

This whole argument was dumb as gently caress in 2013 and it is still loving stupid.

While I think the guy is a schmo, in 2020 we still have weather events that knock out our internet connections for a week+. There's no excuse to intentionally make a piece of hardware that cannot be used standalone from an internet connection, and hopefully it is a 'bug' (although maybe they're gauging response) and it will be resolved.