Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I assume something like this?

https://twitter.com/chicagosmayor/status/1326966810529312774

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Liz, Dick Uihlein, Lake Forest mega-donors and COVID-19 skeptics test positive for coronavirus (Sun-Times)

Whoops!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

IEA is going to hold a press conference tomorrow to call for all schools to be closed for a certain amount of time (time is unknown).

Pritzker also mentioned another stay at home order today during his press conference.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good thing I was reclassified as an essential worker lol.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

does going to a bar count as an essential reason?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-lightfoot-budget-vote-20201112-sm65e6vdujbxdcbggq5epz2t3m-story.html

On One hand gently caress most Chicago Aldermen/Women on the other hand uhhhhhhh

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea. It’s going to be a poo poo show for 3 more years. Can’t wait to see another 20 people run for mayor again. Hopefully they make a documentary about that one too.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
You guys have all said she's just like Rahm and Daley, this is right out of their playbooks.

Except nobody was afraid Rahm would actually follow through with his threats.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesse White supporting Madigan too

this is kind of cool, it's old timey machine poo poo, when's the last time we actually saw something like this? a guy the public hates just calling in favors and everyone lining up to support him

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Jesse White supporting Madigan too

this is kind of cool, it's old timey machine poo poo, when's the last time we actually saw something like this? a guy the public hates just calling in favors and everyone lining up to support him

Daley I guess with the parking meter deal? A little different, but has the same feel. Daley tells everyone you're voting for it, and the aldermen line up to gently caress over the city.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Daley I guess with the parking meter deal? A little different, but has the same feel. Daley tells everyone you're voting for it, and the aldermen line up to gently caress over the city.

That still pisses me off. What would it take for a mayoral candidate to run on pulling out of that deal and telling the conglomerate if they want their cash to come collect it themselves?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Either a billion dollars for the buy out clause or the end of capitalism

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1327372423482781697?s=20

lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I respect it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tell me they turned his fat ice cream laden rear end away at the door. Jesus he wore the sundae tie. I'm guessing Mary Miller had him as a guest, because otherwise I'm pretty sure there are legal penalties for impersonating a member of congress.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2020

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Illinois going to be closing DMVs for a few weeks: https://www.radio.com/wbbm780/news/...yfUKf9n2NlqUULU

I’m wondering if this the prelude to another lockdown, considering that daily cases are now 15k+ and Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Illinois going to be closing DMVs for a few weeks: https://www.radio.com/wbbm780/news/...yfUKf9n2NlqUULU

I’m wondering if this the prelude to another lockdown, considering that daily cases are now 15k+ and Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Almost certainly but he'll wait til after Thanksgiving/Black Friday, which is just... sigh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Unit 5 and District 87 (Bloomington/Normal and surrounding areas) have announced a return to 100% remote learning. They are calling this an "administrative pause" but lol, this is probably for the foreseeable future.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1327393229977886720?s=19

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Unit 5 and District 87 (Bloomington/Normal and surrounding areas) have announced a return to 100% remote learning. They are calling this an "administrative pause" but lol, this is probably for the foreseeable future.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1327393229977886720?s=19

Unit 4 also and the Catholic diocese down here (District 114 was already remote, never went back ,unit 4 just K-5 had gone back. For three weeks.)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

That still pisses me off. What would it take for a mayoral candidate to run on pulling out of that deal and telling the conglomerate if they want their cash to come collect it themselves?

I guess it would be interesting to see if the courts could force a city to pony up the cash if they break the contract. At some point, it has to be better off to float a bond to pay off the cost. I think the meter deal has already paid off for the buyers. The city could probably make the bond payments even with their crap interest rates.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I spent all day getting my school’s tech ready for remote learning (updating passwords and log ins, chrome inventory re-ran, making sure permission slips are filled out, etc).

I was expecting an announcement today for 2 weeks so thanksgiving would be included in those days and then everyone expect to return at the beginning of December (a couple districts in the area are already doing that due to staff being quarantined).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Well . . . good luck, BloNo. You're gonna need it :(

https://twitter.com/Tayrayray1/status/1328017636190515207

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zarin posted:

Well . . . good luck, BloNo. You're gonna need it :(

https://twitter.com/Tayrayray1/status/1328017636190515207
Yup, seen that a few times.

So loving mad. Maybe now that Renner isn't running for reelection he'll loving do something about it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dwarf74 posted:

Yup, seen that a few times.

So loving mad. Maybe now that Renner isn't running for reelection he'll loving do something about it.

I'm sure every metro in IL has at least one of those, but yeah.

Might have to consider welding my own door shut, yikes.

This will do me zero good as I've been opening my windows and using the whole house fan lately

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Pritzker making an announcement today at 2:30 about a possible shutdown.

Anyone want to take bets that they’re going for state wide shutdown along the same course of the DMVs for 3 weeks?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I expect a super weak suggestion to "shut down" considering all the lawsuits from before and general apathy by the general public.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

beejay posted:

I expect a super weak suggestion to "shut down" considering all the lawsuits from before and general apathy by the general public.

If they shut down the highways and start ticketing the gently caress out every single person on the roads with the toll cams that would put a definite dent in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or how about Americans grow the tiniest shred of compassion for their neighbors and do the right thing for a few weeks.

(gently caress this dumb country and everyone in it)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
my prediction is some severe handwringing and pathetic pleading to stop going out unnecessarily backed up by Jack and his good friend poo poo

followed by "oh well gee we tried! I guess there's nothing we can do truly this disease is unstoppable!" when the freezer trucks start showing up in a few weeks

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully he'll shut up about going to Florida over Thanksgiving.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

If they shut down the highways and start ticketing the gently caress out every single person on the roads with the toll cams that would put a definite dent in it.

That's actually a pretty good idea on both a state and federal level.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

KDdidit posted:

Hopefully he'll shut up about going to Florida over Thanksgiving.

That was pretty funny lol

E: welp his daughter and wife are in Florida because chuds were threatening them online

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Tier 3 mitigation, but no stay at home order.

e: https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-mitigation-plan

e2: and people are harassing the Pritzker kids? What the gently caress

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 17, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does every even moderately wealthy person in Illinois own property in either Wisconsin or Florida? That’s what it seems like sometimes.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aren't property taxes insanely high here compared to every other state?

Why wouldn't they put their extra income into an investment property with lower taxes?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Aren't property taxes insanely high here compared to every other state?

Why wouldn't they put their extra income into an investment property with lower taxes?

Illinois doesn't tax retirement income.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Does every even moderately wealthy person in Illinois own property in either Wisconsin or Florida? That’s what it seems like sometimes.

Cabin Up North + snowbird refuge in Florida. They probably live with kids (or in houses in kids names) to avoid property taxes for the three months out of the year they're actually in IL.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Illinois doesn't tax retirement income.

Yet

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Badger of Basra posted:

Or Michigan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I know tons of working people who own cabins in Wisconsin or Michigan. They’re union construction workers who get paid well though like $100k a year if they stay employed all year.

It doesn’t take that much to buy a second home, especially if your first house is also cheap, and you’ve been working since you’re 18.