Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Insert a Name Here posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtDB06TVfEY

Edit; there is a hidden unlockable foot race against sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4ufta_BU0

This means that "Bug!" is the St Elsewhere like foundation to about 8 different shows all being some kids dream, in the sense that they are all actually movie sets. That includes not only sonic, but anything sonic has ever been in, such as spinoff series about his friends, and the crossover competition games against mario, and then of course anything staring Mario himself, ect.

It's POSSIBLY that Bug bumped into Sonic during the filming of his next movie, but not probable whatsoever.

Loved this game when I was 8, although I can't imagine it holds up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Bloodborne is the worst From Software game I've played. It's still brilliant, but worse than all the Dark Souls titles and Sekiro. The levels get notably duller and uglier after night falls and the progression system feels like a half assed compromise between the more involved system of the Souls games and Sekiro's streamlined version. The combat is not that different from the Souls series honestly, you just have less options. All that talk about it requiring to be more agressive is kind of bullshit, most of the time you are still better off playing it slowly and methodically. Also, spiders are gross and I hate it when a game has realistic looking ones (for some reason the ones in DS2 didn't bother me as much since they look more like crabs). Still, in spite of my nitpicking, it's a very, very good game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am only just now playing though Dark Souls 2 and its pretty good!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought Dark Souls 2 was a tremendous drop in quality from Dark Souls 1 and just all around chockful of design decisions I didn't care for and then I played Dark Souls 3 and man Dark Souls 2 is so much better.

Scholar of the First Sin is still poo poo, though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dark Souls 2 is the only one I didn't really like. There are 2 more enemies than there should be in every room and most of the game is just a bunch of dumb armoured dudes around every corner.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

why isnt there a star wars game with the chivalry/mordhau engine where it's just a deathmatch with lightsabers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
why isn't there an adaptation of that kerbal space program type of "just attach poo poo to the body" physics emulation stuff but for automated battle robots

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

why isnt there a star wars game with the chivalry/mordhau engine where it's just a deathmatch with lightsabers

Remember how fun it was in Mordhau when you were still new and you come against some guy who just spams super fast rapier attacks at you?

Ok now picture that x1000. That's any lightsaber game that tries to go for that style.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

This is single player and a lot of the Youtubers slow down the game during play to create these videos, but here is something for your VR helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrYKGzqzd8

I haven't played a lot of Mordhau yet but aside from Chivalry's gameplay problems it's had a (mostly unsatisfying) lightsaber mod with servers for years.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Doctor J Off posted:

Speaking of forgotten mascot platformers, does anyone remember Klonoa? Couple games on ps1 and 2, then a GBA one. I remember them very fondly, and can throw it on the stack of ”3d platformers better than mario 64”

This got kind of buried, but it hit me in the nostalgia hard. I was so obsessed with the first Klonoa game that I regularly skipped going home after school in favor of going to a mall in a completely different city that had the game on its display playstation. Never understood how Klonoa never became the Playstation's signature mascot. Screw Crash Bandicoot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Remember how fun it was in Mordhau when you were still new and you come against some guy who just spams super fast rapier attacks at you?

Ok now picture that x1000. That's any lightsaber game that tries to go for that style.

yeah i agree that sucks but thats just because the people who made those games didnt bother to close off exploits enough. like in chivalry you could just spam the ducking move and basically become invulnerable but thats surely fixable

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd be surprised how many games are basically broken at their core mechanics and the only reason to use anything else is because you get bored.

River City Girls is fun but sadly has most of the core issues with beat em ups that the genre never really figured out solutions to, like good aerial attacks being completely overpowered, Kyoko can basically Scrooge McDuck pogo off enemies with her heavy air, and the dash heavy attack deals with the rest. A lot of genres born in the arcade tend to stagnate like that, since they only had to eat quarters, not hold up in the long run.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd be surprised how many games are basically broken at their core mechanics and the only reason to use anything else is because you get bored.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is Pokemon requires some skill sooner or later even if you play the scrub way steamrolling with an overlevelled starter (like I used to) and has both multiplayer and endgame battle modes specifically designed to force you to play smart and use every tool available, and there's a shitload of Pokemon. I mean more games where you have a much more limited set of options and a few of them are blatantly superior.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is Pokemon requires some skill sooner or later even if you play the scrub way steamrolling with an overlevelled starter (like I used to) and has both multiplayer and endgame battle modes specifically designed to force you to play smart and use every tool available, and there's a shitload of Pokemon. I mean more games where you have a much more limited set of options and a few of them are blatantly superior.

In gen I and II you absolutely could roll face with an over leveled starter.

The exp share in later games was great even if it kinda hosed the difficulty curve.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
My unpopular opinion: AI cheating is good. Better if it's as un-obvious as possible, but so many good games are wasted by the devs trying to make the AI play within rules it can't possibly compete with human players at.

mostly re: strategy games but I would probably take it further if pushed

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

My unpopular opinion: AI cheating is good. Better if it's as un-obvious as possible, but so many good games are wasted by the devs trying to make the AI play within rules it can't possibly compete with human players at.

Mortal Kombat II’s input reads were the worst. The only way to get more than a few fights into a tower is by exploiting very specific AI blind spots.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Koramei posted:

yeah empire earth was fun because the ai cheated

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The problem is when the AI is set up essentially as a stand-in for a human. You generally have to make the computer asymmetrical for it to provide a challenge to a player, but if it's a stand-in for a human then players will resent it being asymmetrical. So you need to set up the game in such a way that it's clear the computer and player were never meant to be playing the same exact game. Like how in say Starcraft campaign you didn't just get put into a multiplayer map with a computer opponent who had the same start.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 12, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I took a stab at Persona 4 yesterday and boy is this really what people are calling one of the best RPGs of all time. I’m four floors into the first dungeon and want to just take a real life nap and there’s literally no way to save or even suspend my progresss. I have to evacuate the dungeon altogether and scale it again. The loving nerve of this game.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Khanstant posted:

worst mascot maybe of all time. a bean with no arms or legs because they were too hard for the artist to draw and they've ran with that design for decades. basically on idea what their games are like because im not interested in controlling that thing for even a second

Rayman is really loving ugly and obnoxious and is the worst offender for looking gross and European (disclaimer: I live in Europe). Look at the cover of the PAL version of the first Rayman and tell me you dont want to strangle that thing.

I do think the slight redesign for the Legends/Origins games is cute and appealing and that those games are also gold standard modern platformers, but sadly it took us Rabbids before we got there.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 12, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Koramei posted:

This has been a necessary evil, because this has to date been a problem outside the scope of resources of any given strategy game developer, but it would always be good in a civ-type strategy game if you could expect the AI to be bound by the same constraints as the player. It sucks to have your strategy ruined in the 11th hour because you failed to account for some way in which the AI turns out to not be bound by the rules of the game as you understand them. If you're not a grognard in your 10,000th hour who has memorized both sets of rules this is bad gameplay

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 12, 2020

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Vegetable posted:

I took a stab at Persona 4 yesterday and boy is this really what people are calling one of the best RPGs of all time. I’m four floors into the first dungeon and want to just take a real life nap and there’s literally no way to save or even suspend my progresss. I have to evacuate the dungeon altogether and scale it again. The loving nerve of this game.

The combat in Persona 4 is a total snooze-fest compared to SMT, it's so bad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Vegetable posted:

yeah i felt the same way. i dont get why any of the smt games are popular

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I agree that ot really is a question of how the AI cheats.

I can't count how many times I have tried to be clever in strategy games, all "aha, I have cut off the enemy's supply of oil from behind their lines! My spy has sabotaged their factory!"

Only for it to have precisely no effect, because game game just expects you to endlessly slam doomstacks into each other and the AI is given units every turn

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Strategic Tea posted:

I can't count how many times I have tried to be clever in strategy games, all "aha, I have cut off the enemy's supply of oil from behind their lines! My spy has sabotaged their factory!"

Only for it to have precisely no effect, because game game just expects you to endlessly slam doomstacks into each other and the AI is given units every turn

My favorite childhood game, Master of Magic, on Impossible difficulty, just didn't require the AI to pay for anything. All their units, magic, builds were free, as long as they spent the time required.

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A tank of fish has beaten 3 pokemon games
https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/9/21556590/fish-pokemon-sapphire-stream-twitch

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Civ5 is really bad about this. Running out of happiness/gold are catastrophic for the player, but you can arrange for the AI to run out of them, or out of strategic resources, and it has little to no effect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phigs posted:

The problem is when the AI is set up essentially as a stand-in for a human. You generally have to make the computer asymmetrical for it to provide a challenge to a player, but if it's a stand-in for a human then players will resent it being asymmetrical. So you need to set up the game in such a way that it's clear the computer and player were never meant to be playing the same exact game. Like how in say Starcraft campaign you didn't just get put into a multiplayer map with a computer opponent who had the same start.

AI War did a really good job of this, it was obvious you and the AI were on two different sets of rules and you had to play around the fact the AI had predictable responses to various actions you could take.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strategic Tea posted:

yea it's the specific way 4x AIs cheat that make them irritating. they basically ignore inter-AI diplomacy and consider each other allies by default unless something forces them to fight it out, and they get invisible bonuses to things they really shouldn't. the most pain in the rear end thing about AIs in civ 5 was how they got a bunch of free happiness and faith generation, so even if you had them cornered they can still produce infinite great prophets to mess with you and they'll still have a huge surplus of happiness even though their only city is an irradiated poo poo hole in the middle of the snowy tundra with no amenities.

and you can't wipe out that last city, no, because another irritating thing that's been introduced to casual 4x AIs is the Atrocity Track/"Bad Boy score" from paradox games. you can pillage and raze your way across the countryside as long as you don't capture a player's last city, otherwise every AI player will hate you forever. civ 4 was the last entry in the series to have a diplo AI that wasn't a steaming pile of poo poo... mostly because it ignored any and all warmonger penalties against you as long as you weren't targeting their allies

poverty goat posted:

Civ5 is really bad about this. Running out of happiness/gold are catastrophic for the player, but you can arrange for the AI to run out of them, or out of strategic resources, and it has little to no effect.

yeah running out of gold as the player in civ 5 will basically delete all the player's units and flip your cities. running out of gold as an AI lets them keep everything no fucks given, it just means they start offering you poo poo deals that don't include gpt

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 12, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Even fish know Charizard is king

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
civ 4 was the best civ. civ5 sucked i dunno why everyone loves it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

barkbell posted:

civ 4 was the best civ. civ5 sucked i dunno why everyone loves it

i like civ 4 and civ 5 both, for different reasons. i think 1upt is pretty good! but the happiness system sucked. civ 4's diplomacy, trade, border mechanics, religion, corporations--all that was great but it sucked that you still ran into problems of healthy veteran tanks dying to injured longbows.

give me a civ 4 clone with 1upt, advance wars style health, and polynesia. just stream it directly into my brainstem

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best Civ game is a combination of the Baba Yetu theme, the Sean Bean narration and the FMV advisors from Civ 2

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

barkbell posted:

civ 4 alpha centauri was the best civ.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ngl i didn't like sean bean's delivery either. at least morgan sheppard TRIED to pronounce words correctly! give me research quotes assembled by synthesizing voicebites from leonard nimoy, morgan sheppard, and sid meier. since they're synthetic you can just play one of the three randomly every time you research the tech

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
actually yeah alpha centauri was dope

imaging sitting down to make a game like civilization but instead of rounding up human history making futuristic versions of technology and culture

loving insane

man what a game

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The White Dragon posted:

i like civ 4 and civ 5 both, for different reasons. i think 1upt is pretty good! but the happiness system sucked. civ 4's diplomacy, trade, border mechanics, religion, corporations--all that was great but it sucked that you still ran into problems of healthy veteran tanks dying to injured longbows.

give me a civ 4 clone with 1upt, advance wars style health, and polynesia. just stream it directly into my brainstem

1upt was a mistake. the team had to drastically slow down unit production and it led to war turning into those awful tile sliding gmes. also the ai couldn't handle it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Developers who are good and not clowns tailor their features to what the AI can handle in any strategy game where multiplayer isn't the main focus. The Total War team figured out a while ago some things during siege battles like "the AI is very dumb about approaching a city from multiple sides, but can handle approaching it from one side well enough" and "if the AI must get individual pieces of siege equipment in the right places to not to be 100% stuck outside, they will frequently become 100% stuck outside".

So after years of frankly embarrassing siege battles, they said "you know what, siege battles are going to take place on just one facing of a city, and infantry can pull ladders out of their asses if they have no other siege equipment to use". The result is that in exchange for the slight silliness of pocket ladders, the AI is immeasurably better at siege assault, and the whole experience is vastly improved. Every single person who complained about these changes is a complete loving moron.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i love to play a game where i start by clicking next turn 15 times in a row while i wait for my first worker to finish because the entire production economy is hosed due to some jackass wanting 1upt