Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hollow Knight is cool and good but the devs deffo drank the darksouls koolaid and decided tedium and challenge go hand in hand.

No one has ever explained why having to go back and kill your ghost to regain your stuff is a good mechanic. It forces you to go back to the same place you died over and over again instead of exploring other places and maybe returing to the place you died with better upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Not while we remember them

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I learned to solder by removing and replacing a save backup battery in a SNES FF6 cart.

That was like, 2002, so it's been longer since I replaced it than the battery was in it originally. I bet it's dead again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh you can just get your shade back with a rancid egg but yeah. Seems like everyone has to have their own bloodstain spin that makes it more annoying.
My shade got trapped in an area I couldn't physically get to one time too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Phillby posted:

Hollow Knight is cool and good but the devs deffo drank the darksouls koolaid and decided tedium and challenge go hand in hand.

No one has ever explained why having to go back and kill your ghost to regain your stuff is a good mechanic. It forces you to go back to the same place you died over and over again instead of exploring other places and maybe returing to the place you died with better upgrades.

It doesn't force you to do anything.

It's entirely optional.

In my experience the couple times I died in a very hard to reach area, it was definitely not tedious because it was stressfully challenging.. those seem like nearly opposite emotional states

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So I assume a homebrew DS can't use the estore? I'd need to make copies of the games I already have or no?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

It doesn't force you to do anything.

It's entirely optional.

In my experience the couple times I died in a very hard to reach area, it was definitely not tedious because it was stressfully challenging.. those seem like nearly opposite emotional states

It's been a while since I played but isn't your mana pool nerfed until you find your ghost?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elderbean posted:

So I assume a homebrew DS can't use the estore? I'd need to make copies of the games I already have or no?

We can probably take it to the 3DS thread, but you can use the eshop just fine. Everything works as usual.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's been a while since I played but isn't your mana pool nerfed until you find your ghost?

Your souls are capped at 66 (normal max cap is 99)

But you can just die anywhere and kill the new shade to fix that if you don't want to go hunt down the shade with your geo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mr Phillby posted:

get good, etc.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

It creates tension. Exploring a new place is tense because the farther you get from a bench the harder it will be to get back if you die and the more relief you feel when you find a bench. If you have ever played a Souls game you’ll understand - the feeling of find a bonfire in a harsh new environment far away from a comfortable, known area, is so immensely relieving and memorable.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Not as long as you keep them here. *gently places hand atop a homebrewed 3DS*

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only Gameboy game that matters(DK94) is on the 3DS VC and plays perfectly

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We're talking about game boy advance here, and if you can't use carts that means you can't play Wario Ware Twisted so what's the loving point

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

It creates tension. Exploring a new place is tense because the farther you get from a bench the harder it will be to get back if you die and the more relief you feel when you find a bench. If you have ever played a Souls game you’ll understand - the feeling of find a bonfire in a harsh new environment far away from a comfortable, known area, is so immensely relieving and memorable.

Maybe there is such a thing as too much tension, and maybe fighting your ghost in order to continue at full power is a step too far.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

dantheman650 posted:

If you have ever played a Souls game you’ll understand - the feeling of find a bonfire in a harsh new environment far away from a comfortable, known area, is so immensely relieving and memorable.

I feel this pretty much any time I find a save point in a tough game actually. I felt it last night playing Alien Isolation, holy poo poo am I always relieved to see that Emergency Call panel. Some of you guys talk about HK like we've never played videogames before.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

We're talking about game boy advance here, and if you can't use carts that means you can't play Wario Ware Twisted so what's the loving point

WarioWare Gold is on the eshop and includes all of the good Twisted microgames.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I guess a link to the 3ds thread would be appreciated.

Honestly most of the games id want to play boil down to old fire emblems and stuff like advanced wars. Everything else has been ported or has new interations (Smash, Mario cart, etc) on the switch.

How likely is it that they will put out a port of Fates? Seems like a no Brainer to me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

dantheman650 posted:

I have no idea why you think anything you said here adresses why its good to waste people time with mechanics where you have to return to your point of death or be punished for it. It can be tense to explore a dangerous new area sure but this is a sprawling metroidvania with rewards and discoveries all around. I loving hated every time I died because it meant I was locked into doing the same thing over and over instead of being free to go somewhere else.

Also it wasn't 'optional' to ignore I need that magic meter to survive.

Also I firmly beleive that more people would bother to 'get good' if these games had more sensible checkpointing systems and didn't require 5 min treks through the same loving levels over and over to lose to the same boss again and again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Numlock posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

I loving hated every time I died because it meant I was locked into doing the same thing over and over instead of being free to go somewhere else.

Also it wasn't 'optional' to ignore I need that magic meter to survive.

Like another poster already mentioned, you can just die somewhere else and fight the shade there instead. Or you can just use a rancid egg to get the shade to appear in Dirtmouth. Nobody is forcing you to go anywhere you don’t want to go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah, I'll be pretty pissed if the plot winds up being some alternate timeline where the Calamity is averted. I'm buying it because I want to see the Calamity, dammit!

(I doubt they'll do that though, at the very least there's shots of the Calamity happening in the trailer as well as a few glimpses of what looks like all four Champions dying)

Let's hope. I'll watch the cutscenes outside of playing the game. I got into the first HW, but in retrospect it was a rather forgettable experience, if all I want is the story from AoC then I'll just look that up afterwards. I just don't understand why the new character though. It doesn't bode well.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Like another poster already mentioned, you can just die somewhere else and fight the shade there instead. Or you can just use a rancid egg to get the shade to appear in Dirtmouth. Nobody is forcing you to go anywhere you don’t want to go.

Come on this is being really obtuse. If you're sitting on three upgrades worth of Geo you're not just going to go 'well c'est la vie, I won't even notice I lost it in 5 hours', the whole point of the system is to make death more punishing and adding tension to your next life. And back tracking to Dirtmouth with this game's fast travel system can nearly be as bad as losing the Geo itself depending on your location.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

multijoe posted:

Come on this is being really obtuse. If you're sitting on three upgrades worth of Geo you're not just going to go 'well c'est la vie, I won't even notice I lost it in 5 hours', the whole point of the system is to make death more punishing and adding tension to your next life. And back tracking to Dirtmouth with this game's fast travel system can nearly be as bad as losing the Geo itself depending on your location.

Should’ve used the bank.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hollow Knight is a fantastic game for a three person dev team's freshmen effort but it's not actually the best Metroidvania or even Soulslike of all time. It's also not beyond criticism and people are raising some pretty legitimate issues with it.

But it is a really good game.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
No game can have any criticism because you could just not play the game at all.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Should’ve used the bank.

The one that flees with your money?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hollow knight is one of the best games ever made. It also has a lot of very polarizing design decisions that might affect your enjoyment of it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Hollow Knight has whole loving lot of bosses...

Yeah, that complaint that it doesn't have enough bosses is crazy pants. It has enough that I'm never going to try the final trial because it's too long. I think the only game I've played with more boss fights is cuphead.

As for which bosses kicked my rear end a lot, it was Soul Master and Flukemarm. (Plus obviously NKG and PV, but those didn't have corpse runs to do between tries and are meant to kick your rear end badly.)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Numlock posted:

Honestly most of the games id want to play boil down to old fire emblems and stuff like advanced wars. Everything else has been ported or has new interations (Smash, Mario cart, etc) on the switch.

How likely is it that they will put out a port of Fates? Seems like a no Brainer to me.

I will say I finally homebrewed my 3DS a couple of weeks ago using the guide in the thread and everything works fine. I've got all the old Fire Emblems on it and a couple of romhacks and I can still use the store and everything else I want. The only thing it takes is a small screwdriver and some time.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
If I got a 3ds id probably just buy the games through the eshop or physically. Prices don't seem unreasonable from looking around the net.

Edit:

And GBAs seem to be dirt cheap too.

Emulation sounds fun but eh I'm extremely lazy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Numlock posted:

If I got a 3ds id probably just buy the games through the eshop or physically. Prices don't seem unreasonable from looking around the net.

The whole problem is you can’t buy the GBA games, even though Nintendo has released them as the giveaway ages ago.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Let's hope. I'll watch the cutscenes outside of playing the game. I got into the first HW, but in retrospect it was a rather forgettable experience, if all I want is the story from AoC then I'll just look that up afterwards. I just don't understand why the new character though. It doesn't bode well.

I mean, I can kinda understand it - if they had stuck with only the characters and plotlines we knew about from BotW, I feel like the story would be a little stale and not very exciting.

Still reserved about the time travel and potential alternate timeline shenanigans, but I don't blame them for wanting to expand the story and roster beyond what and who we already knew.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Minjo posted:

Groove Coaster and Muse Dash seem to have done a collab. I'm guessing that Groove Coaster's side of it will be paid DLC, but I can't find anything that says for sure.
Yeah me neither but I assume it’s like that.

Either way though, music game cross-promotion is great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Numlock posted:

Without getting into emulation, if I want to play games from the GBA through 3ds generations, I would need a DS lite (gameboy, gameboy advance, ds) and a 3ds (ds through 3ds)?

The answer to this depends on how much you care about having all the features of a game. The DS and the GBA Micro can't play GB or GBC games and the DS doesn't let you do GBA multiplayer, not even wirelessly, so for maximum versatility get a GBA SP (and check which version you're looking at, earlier ones have a front light while the later model is backlit). Get two and a link cable if you want to, for instance, fully complete Pokémon games.

The 3DS obsoletes the DSi (and the New 3DS is a strict improvement on the 3DS) but doesn't fully obsolete the original DS as some of the earlier DS games have extra features that use the GBA slot (Examples: Migrating Pokémon from R/S/E/FR/LG to D/P/Pt/HG/SS, optional boss fights in Mega Man ZX). If you care about having access to those you'll need an older DS. Having a DS as well as a 3DS will also let you use DS multiplayer features like, again, migrating Pokémon to B/W/B2/W2. I don't know of any 3DS games with single player content that you'd need more than one console to get to, even Pokemon has cloud storage now.

If you're going to get a DS, I'd recommend the original over the Lite because while the Lite is smaller and closes up more neatly, that size means GBA games stick out by about half an inch, and it has a flaw with its left hinge that means it'll start to fall apart way before the rest of the console shows any signs of wear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dabir posted:

The 3DS obsoletes the DSi (and the New 3DS is a strict improvement on the 3DS)

The DSi XL still has the advantage of playing DS games natively on a big screen, on the 3DS you have to use ugly upscaling to fill the screens

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The best GBA player is an OLED vita :dukedog:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I got an Analogue Pocket preorder but that thing is basically vaporware at the moment. May 2021 is the latest word, we'll see I guess.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Andrast posted:

Hollow knight is one of the best games ever made. It also has a lot of very polarizing design decisions that might affect your enjoyment of it.
I enjoyed the game a lot I just think that uncritically praising boring/bad game design because it gave you the darksouls feels is dumb.

I also don't care how good everyone thinks Dark Souls is punishing the player with worse stats and removing resources may encourage more careful play but its also fundamentally punishing players for their lack of knowledge and experience and is therefore assbackward at actually encouraging experimentation and exploration. Get good is only a meme because people don't expect the answer to be 'keep trying and getting better' when the game design actively discourages you from doing that with debuffs, long walks back over already trod ground and by taking the resources you need to improve your character away from you.

Also the sanctity of the challenge argument makes no loving sense, if you can summon online randos to come kill bosses for you why not put in an easier difficulty mode for players with less stomach for tedium or people who want to see the exquisite lore and world design without getting insta-ganked by boobytrap corner skeletons or whatever.

Anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread with my 'darksouls is bad' opinions now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Metroidvanias peaked with Link to the Past.