Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best part about the heroic rape storyline is that eventually orcs as a race and concept join team good guy, so what is introduced as a misogynistic culture becomes a proud and noble race, and it's only a single clan chief who just really loves child rape and everyone already hated him anyway.

people already talked about it before but in terraciano's stories there's no such thing as exploitative or predatory systems, just bad faith actors in good or value-neutral systems. normally i'd be more forgiving since we're all taught growing up that the system cannot fail, only be failed regardless of our country of origin, but in the last ten years social awareness has been spreading yet as recently as star power his stories still follow that pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
*Smashes this slop onto your tray*

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheHan posted:

Why am I hearing “Simple and Clean” in the background

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Spoiler'd for rape joke (jazz hands)

Didn’t he literally draw her grabbing his arms like that a few weeks back?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is Snout supposed to look like Jesus in that panel or what

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I really want photoshop the Price is right yodeller into the last panel and flip it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

I really want photoshop the Price is right yodeller into the last panel and flip it.

I wish they'd both fall off the cliff so this poo poo can end.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

super sweet best pal posted:

Didn’t he literally draw her grabbing his arms like that a few weeks back?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1318915414756347905?s=19

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Think Mookie forgot that Snout had asymmetric features when he decided reusing mirrored panels was enough to make a whole new comic?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Edit: he did actually redraw Snout's arm stuff on the flipped panels, looks like

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 12, 2020

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
it'll be 200 years before this comic has a loving point

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I sure do love how Snout never even questions whether he should still travel together with this stranger who could assault him at the drop of a hat and makes him feel unsafe. Just gonna sweep all that under the rug because she cries and feels sorry(?) about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

The third panel looks so bad. I'm just going to assume that the reason these poses look terrible is because he's tracing all of them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah you can tell he traced the 1st and second panel from the same pose, safe to say anything more complicated than standing or walking is getting traced. Snout's fully flat muzzle, xxxtra long torso and disgusting bulge are next level, dunno how you do that with tracing.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Also, where is he taking her?

I'm guessing the correct answer is he's taking her with him on his epic journey, but that's also the worst answer.

She may not have even existed before the whole cabin of spooky vines, she has no stake in his quest, hell she can barely communicate.
So he really should be taking her back to town where she can get help, but I guess Mookie needs a broken bird who is difficult to deal with but also utterly dependent on his protagonist too show what a nice guy Snout is.

And speaking of stakes, are there any?
I've been following this thread on and off since near the beginning and I'm honestly clueless as too what the goals and motivations are too any of these characters other than Snout's passive "Curiosity".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pulsarcat posted:

Also, where is he taking her?

I'm guessing the correct answer is he's taking her with him on his epic journey, but that's also the worst answer.

There's no indication Snout has any plan in mind other than "walk in a random direction".

Pulsarcat posted:

lol no

Snout is walking until plot happens to him, probably in the form of more dreams.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pulsarcat posted:

Arduak and Ink Witch are pursuing something.

Snout is no longer involved in this.

Yes, as best I can, the plot is happening to other people who are offscreen.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zereth posted:

And when they inevitably reunite, everything we missed will either get hypercondensed into one strip, or not at all.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

TheHan posted:

Even Snout doesn't wanna go out to pretend to continue the plot, but he's gotta, so come on

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just make her some clothes you lunatic :magical:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Zereth posted:

This is the funniest thing too me, Mookie keeps taking the camera away from the actually motivated characters and focusing on this bland bag of wet noodles.

Like there is a reason why the whole "Hot blooded hero" is such a well used trope, we aren't part of this world, we feel what the characters feel.
So without anyone in the party who is passionate about finding the legacy it becomes impossible to care about it ourselves.

Say what you want about the Ink Witch (I love that she still doesn't have a name), she is at least motivated, has a goal beyond mild curiosity, and serious character flaws she needs too grow out of, even if they were unintentional.
She would be a far more interesting protagonist, not necessarily a likeable one, but definitely more interesting.

Honestly, I love how Mookie bungles even basic storytelling:

He has his main character show interest in a thing.
A mysterious women with questionable motivations who is tied to said thing shows up to stoke his sense of adventure.
Then his quaint little peasant village explodes destroying his ties to his old life.

This is a perfectly fine setup for a JRPG, good job.

So does he follow this up with them getting to know each other, working together and sharing why they are on this adventure while on a perilous quest to find some Macguffins? Nope!
Said women gets beamed out of the story and Snout shrugs and lies down in the dirt like a loving cave troglodyte.

And then it keeps up like this with characters just showing up and leaving without any time to get too know them, so it's basically impossible to care about any of this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having no foreknowledge outside this thread and vaguely recalling what DD was and thinking it was bad at the time after like five comics worth of reading, as far as I can tell the Legacy of Dominic Deegan is literally just abuse and rape and jerking it to that. In that way the comic is enormously successful at getting its point across.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 13, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zereth posted:

I thought at least they were captured and held prisoner by Badwitch and Skullet, but I guess they're ok? They didn't seem to indicate they were in any danger in their dream messages. Dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The idea of a story being about a person dealing with a protagonist/antagonist actually going ahead with their legendary story and them dealing with it can be good, see Big Trouble in Little China.

This ain't Big Trouble in Little China.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Little Plot in Big Void

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Little Plot in Big Void

Mods, thread title, you know the deal.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Neither of this comic's female characters have names.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Emrikol posted:

"Mommy" is a name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

And both of them have compulsively put their boobs all over the protagonist.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

at this point i feel like Ink Witch is just her actual name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rannum posted:

at this point i feel like Ink Witch is just her actual name.

Well except we know that "the ink witches" are an actual order of witches, and that's what they're called, so she must have an actual name.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well except we know that "the ink witches" are an actual order of witches, and that's what they're called, so she must have an actual name.

It's mario rules, she's Ink Witch of the order of ink witches

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Emrikol posted:

None of the lamps in Mookie's house have names either.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I know what you’re thinking, is this week just gonna be boring pointless bullshit?

Yeah.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Honestly I like this page a lot more than pretty much any other in this comic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There wasn't this much walking in Lord of the Rings

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I’m so tired of this dumb rear end in a top hat and his stupid loving hobo bindle

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. I don't hate that page. I wonder where he ripped it off from.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

catlord posted:

Huh. I don't hate that page. I wonder where he ripped it off from.

This beat is common in a lot of visual media; it’s immediately comprehensible and makes you feel invested in the characters because you immediately sympathize with the experience. I mean, usually. In this context it makes me feel nothing because I want them to stare up into the sky until they drown like chickens, but, if this page were much earlier in the comic and the characters weren’t an abusive corpsedaughterwife and Snout, it would be mildly compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Joe Slowboat posted:

This beat is common in a lot of visual media; it’s immediately comprehensible and makes you feel invested in the characters because you immediately sympathize with the experience. I mean, usually. In this context it makes me feel nothing because I want them to stare up into the sky until they drown like chickens, but, if this page were much earlier in the comic and the characters weren’t an abusive corpsedaughterwife and Snout, it would be mildly compelling.

Oh, I'm not sympathising, I'm talking entirely visuals. I like the way the last panel looks more specifically, and the contrast to the one immediately before it, it's a nice stylisation of rain that I'm not sure I've seen before but I am pretty sure it has been done before and very well. If we're lucky the river will rise and wash away Snout and all his sins.