Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you're doing bog-standard xcode development you have a good chance of just checking the aarch_64 box and recompiling. Most aren't that lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

some huge need expertise here about chip design - who knows about software migration? how involved is it for a typical third party software developer to get running on an arm mac? like, properly.

is the ppc-intel transition the most comparable situation and if so what was that even like?! it was so long ago

Worst case it just gets emulated?

Here's an interesting post about porting R over to Apple Silicon

https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/11/02/will-r-work-on-apple-silicon/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Costco put the Intel Air and entry MBP on heavy discount if anyone still wants to pick up an Intel Mac. Between $150 and $250 off Apple pricing, comes with 2 year warranty too.

Nice deals on /r/appleswap too right now

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Kreeblah posted:

I mean, it was always my backup plan if I either couldn't get an MBP specced out like I wanted, or if the ARM Macs ended up being significantly better than the Intel ones. I just . . . didn't expect that second part to be true.

Besides, I don't need to get a new computer right now. My late 2013 15" MBP works just fine, so I can wait a couple years for the early adopters to do Apple's beta testing. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't regret missing the boat for the end of the Intel Macs.

Waiting is definitely wise. Obviously there is no 16” anyway and there is always a chance the first run has some kind of defect that doesn’t start showing up until a few months in or something.

Also the current title is literally something I said after I bought a 16” and then the Apple updated it a month or so later with a much faster GPU option. I really thought about just returning it until I realized the new GPU option is ~$700, so I know how you feel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

petitioning to change the thread title to: "M1 A1. Thousand miles an hour."

Thank you for the new thread title and thank you Inept for the report!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I really hope the arm macs do get updated on a yearly cycle. I want a new mini, but not badly enough to deal with a Gen1 Mac. I got burned bad by the Core Duo laptops back in 2006.

I can wait a year, but I really don’t want to wait longer than that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don’t get the new title :saddowns:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

I don’t get the new title :saddowns:

https://youtu.be/HWvPWQCWbsU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Completely unrelated to new processors... What's a reasonable expectation of battery life on 16" MBP connected to a monitor, running a video chat in the background, with the creative suite, plus a few Safari browser windows. I started at 100% an hour and a half ago and it's about to die.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

yoohoo posted:

Completely unrelated to new processors... What's a reasonable expectation of battery life on 16" MBP connected to a monitor, running a video chat in the background, with the creative suite, plus a few Safari browser windows. I started at 100% an hour and a half ago and it's about to die.

Unfortunately probably about right. In my experience video chat destroys the battery on my 16”.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

grahm posted:

Unfortunately probably about right. In my experience video chat destroys the battery on my 16”.

Ah good to know -- I wasn't sure if my battery was bad or what. I know I'm running a lot but I don't what batteries are capable of these days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

yoohoo posted:

Ah good to know -- I wasn't sure if my battery was bad or what. I know I'm running a lot but I don't what batteries are capable of these days.

You're causing the AMD graphics chip to turn on by connecting the external monitor, AND the video conference deal sucks battery. :(

On the bright side the M1 MacBooks will have 'double the life' during video conferencing so you could go 6 hours with one. :haw:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Worst case it just gets emulated?

Here's an interesting post about porting R over to Apple Silicon

https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/11/02/will-r-work-on-apple-silicon/

Actual worst case is in a couple macOS revisions, Apple removes Rosetta 2. Given the history this seem guaranteed.

But I think with the experience of PPC and 32-bit Intel, (and OpenGL) we’re all used to the idea that macOS is not about backward compatibility, outside of (brief) transition periods.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

Actual worst case is in a couple macOS revisions, Apple removes Rosetta 2. Given the history this seem guaranteed.

But I think with the experience of PPC and 32-bit Intel, (and OpenGL) we’re all used to the idea that macOS is not about backward compatibility, outside of (brief) transition periods.

Wasn't the previous Rosetta discontinued because Apple didn't want to pay to keep licensing it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apple is pretty quick with removing backwards compatibility in general, I wouldn't expect Rosetta 2 to be around forever, or even 10 years.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't the previous Rosetta discontinued because Apple didn't want to pay to keep licensing it?

Who were they licensing it from? I always thought that was an internally developed thing, or were they paying to license the PowerPC stuff?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

frogbs posted:

Who were they licensing it from? I always thought that was an internally developed thing, or were they paying to license the PowerPC stuff?

Transitive who was later bought by IBM.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

ptier posted:

I feel like I have been pulled into the field. I’m excited to get a new laptop and I want to see what it will do. But I think that I’m gonna cancel the order and wait for the reviews.

Oh and today I’m glad I canceled. Completely forgot to use my edu discount. So awaiting the reviews!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Lmao I ordered an Intel MacBook Pro three weeks ago and I just got an email saying they shipped my ARM MacBook Pro. Thanks for asking.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, Linus was like offended and angry that Apple would put “an iPad chip in a Mac and charge money for it”

it’s really weird and I was really liking LTT of late and now I hope he ends up eating those words in a week, for our sake as probable Apple Silicon buyers more than anything really.

Maybe this winds up pissing people off about all the things their iPads still can’t do and it lights a bigger fire under apples rear end to really push iPad os

i feel like this happens with a number of things he does. not saying he's not popular of course but i would never rely on a channel like that for an actual analysis of a processor, say.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i feel like this happens with a number of things he does. not saying he's not popular of course but i would never rely on a channel like that for an actual analysis of a processor, say.

Anthony’s really good at what he does

I find the two other weirdos alternately funny enough and super grating

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

funmanguy posted:

Lmao I ordered an Intel MacBook Pro three weeks ago and I just got an email saying they shipped my ARM MacBook Pro. Thanks for asking.

Did you order the entry level 8th gen Intel one? That literally doesn't exist anymore, at least if you're buying from Apple.

Still tons in the retail channel elsewhere though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anthony’s really good at what he does

I find the two other weirdos alternately funny enough and super grating

Linus is like the anti Anthony. Anthony knows his poo poo. Linus knows some stuff very well, but has this weird blind eye to Apple poo poo, like this M1 chip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Linus is like the anti Anthony. Anthony knows his poo poo. Linus knows some stuff very well, but has this weird blind eye to Apple poo poo, like this M1 chip.

That can be entertaining at times, like the one where Linus seeks to find out why the 2018 non-retina MBA is the most popular laptop on Amazon (this is like spring 2019, I think) and he winds up giving it a ringing endorsement and being really impressed after seemingly coming in skeptical

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eagerly anticipating the absolute poo poo-show that'll be the Adobe Suite on ARM

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

FCKGW posted:

Did you order the entry level 8th gen Intel one? That literally doesn't exist anymore, at least if you're buying from Apple.

Still tons in the retail channel elsewhere though.

I’m aware but the university I work at isn’t allowed to purchase from anyone other than Apple.

I would have gotten it refunded.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Eagerly anticipating the absolute poo poo-show that'll be the Adobe Suite on ARM

You mean the version that will actually run SLOWER than the Intel version because Adobe has programmers who should be bagging groceries instead of coding?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

some huge need expertise here about chip design - who knows about software migration? how involved is it for a typical third party software developer to get running on an arm mac? like, properly.

Can vary pretty heavily from product to product.

I've worked on Mac version of a product that had assembly code (ugh) which would have to be rewritten for new platforms. That blows.

Also, sometimes stuff may have been built with an older SDK and now there are a bunch of things to fix when you build with the newest SDK.

Binary Badger posted:

You mean the version that will actually run SLOWER than the Intel version because Adobe has programmers who should be bagging groceries instead of coding?

Adobe can basically continue to extract money from you without doing anything. Ah, the subscription model.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Next Adobe suite will just run in chrome, and use as many tabs as you want.

That way they won’t have to worry about compiling for M1 at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The length of time it took for them to even support retina was tbh extremely irritating

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

funmanguy posted:

thank you for your service o7

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Ultimate Mango posted:

Next Adobe suite will just run in chrome, and use as many tabs as you want.

That way they won’t have to worry about compiling for M1 at all.

I guarantee you some executives there have pitched this even before Apple Silicon

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is the ppc-intel transition the most comparable situation and if so what was that even like?! it was so long ago
You’d have to catch the keynote but I think Adobe was promising a port then. I remember Wolfram Mathematica but that runs on everything from Alpha to 68k
https://youtu.be/kcfGsOKXO5M

If it’s the software from oss stuff like homebrew I’d expect it’s already very portable, just needs to be recompiled for the new hardware.

Java JVM is forthcoming.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/09/22/microsoft-contributes-to-java-port-for-apple-silicon-macs

Your typical electron apps will port over without changes as soon as there’s a chromium version out.

As far as cocoa Mac desktop apps, I can’t speak to that. I’m looking at the Mac software title “We still exist!” and gently caress, I dunno. (Then again I spend all my time in electron apps and IntelliJ)

if they’re continuing with the SOC where the ram is going to be part of the package I’d expect them to go with denser DDR5 before the it’s available for PC
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/10/7/21506883/ddr5-ram-memory-first-modules-sk-hynix

So if it’s my money, I’m holding off on a purchase.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 13, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Binary Badger posted:

I always thought Adobe was some sort of offshored nightmare of legacy poo poo

Small White Dragon posted:

I've worked on Mac version of a product that had assembly code (ugh) which would have to be rewritten for new platforms. That blows.

Are you mean like altivec stuff?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
adobe is so loving awful, truly the general motors of software

the new face manipulation tools in photoshop seem cool until you realise it takes 10-15 seconds to do the calculations iN tHe cLoUd, while snapchat and instagram do virtually the same in realtime on a loving phone

do the adobe dev tools run in flash or???

Coffee Jones posted:

You’d have to catch the keynote but I think Adobe was promising a port then. I remember Wolfram Mathematica but that runs on everything from Alpha to 68k
https://youtu.be/kcfGsOKXO5M

If it’s the software from oss stuff like homebrew I’d expect it’s already very portable, just needs to be recompiled for the new hardware.

Java JVM is forthcoming.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/09/22/microsoft-contributes-to-java-port-for-apple-silicon-macs

Your typical electron apps will port over without changes as soon as there’s a chromium version out.

if they’re continuing with the SOC where the ram is going to be part of the package I’d expect them to go with denser DDR5 before the it’s available for PC
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/10/7/21506883/ddr5-ram-memory-first-modules-sk-hynix

So if it’s my money, I’m holding off on a purchase.

i wonder if the 16gb ram limitation for the m1 macs is a repeat of the limitation where apple only offered macbooks with up to 16gb because the intel chipsets didn't support low power ddr ram?
in which case, what you are suggesting would fit with the design choice, since apple would be all about low-power components to bolster their battery life and efficiency goals

or it is just an architecture limitation, but hopefully a resident silicon wizard can provide some insight

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Since Apple is planning to release Mac Pro’s and iMacs with Apple Silicon I’m absolutely certain they can have as much RAM as they want. They just limited the smaller computers because they are confident 16GB combined with their usual software optimisation is enough for regular users. They save a lot of money by shipping their devices with less memory (savings scale with production) compared to having developers write more efficient software (costs stay the same regardless of how many devices are sold).

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I guess it's hard to tell before reviews are out, but my sister wants to get a MacBook for college and I'm wondering if she should use this opportunity to get an Intel one on sale from Costco or wait until next year to use her Edu discount and get an ARM version. I doubt she's going to need it for anything more intense than what the base model MacBook Air can handle as she's going to be in the Education department.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If she's the type of person to keep the computer for a while, definitely don't buy an Intel now that Apple is transitioning. Unless she needs anything based on Windows, as Apple hasn't said anything about Windows 10 on ARM running on these things (but why would you buy an Apple computer in that case).

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 13, 2020

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Shyfted One posted:

I guess it's hard to tell before reviews are out, but my sister wants to get a MacBook for college and I'm wondering if she should use this opportunity to get an Intel one on sale from Costco or wait until next year to use her Edu discount and get an ARM version. I doubt she's going to need it for anything more intense than what the base model MacBook Air can handle as she's going to be in the Education department.

I would just wait and use her edu discount on whatever computer is recommended by the college. There may still be software incompatibilities that might be a bummer for her major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Fair enough. I didn't even think about the fact that colleges might recommend laptops now.